“Satisfied”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Lockport, Canada
“Satisfied”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

If you want a lot of partying stay in Playa del Carmen or Cancun. We took our children ages 14 & 8 the food was very fresh and plentiful at all times. There was a mixture of all ethnic types of foods at the main Buffet. Booked a la carte resturants Portofino (seafood) not so good I expected fresh seafood and it was not. The food they offered was good. Mikado (Japenese) great ambience and food was very good. Tequila (Mexican) good food but not the authentic Mexican food we expected. Great service at all of the restuarants. Snack bars were a big hit with the kids. Pools very clean and well managed. The kids waterpark is great for young children NO deep water lots of slides and structures. Beach is great for small children and wonderful for snorkelling. They have Breakwaters to keep the beach safe and sandy. Rooms are large for a two bed room the bathrooms are very large. Housekeeping is amazing yes once in awhile they do forget to stock your coffee or fridge but they come as soon as they are notified. Only happened once to us. The resort is very large and very secure they have a great transportation system within the resort and if you happen to get on the wrong tram they usually take you were you need to go or call and meet up with another tram going to your spot. Bring a cup with a straw if you like icy drinks they are very concerned about the turtle habitat and do not allow disposible straws. Great idea in my opinion but I drink beer..lol There is 4 other areas to this resort. Si' an Caan (Adults Only), Tulum (Dolphin Aquarium), Coba (Waterpark) and Akumal (beach front). Yes they try to sell timeshares BUT they are not forceful. Just say no thank you in passing and they do not bother you anymore. There is also a very large golf course but we were not interested. Overall I would go back with the children and without. I would recommend that you take 10 days minimum at this resort. We did one week definitely not enough time for the resort or the area but it was a good time. If you get the chance go to Akumal Beach and snorkel you will see sea turtles all year round. You can take the Collectivos or a taxi. If there is more than 3 take a taxi. They take you right to the beach area. The collectivo is cheaper but drops you off at the highway and you walk about 5 minutes to the beach area. A definite must for this area. Just an added note YES the beds are FIRM not rock hard but firm.

9 Thank AKBuus
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Tripadvisor user,

First of all we would like to thank you for your nice comments. It is very gratifying that you enjoyed all the facilities.

It is delightful that our effort is worth it since you had a great time and we could make your stay a memorable experience.

It would be a real bliss welcoming you back soon.

Regards,
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays on the Maya Riviera
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,644)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ontario
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We purchased the Gold package which is worth it. No waiting in line at the front lobby; we had private check-in with only a couple of other people. We were greeted with a refreshing drink and once the room was ready, our luggage was delivered very quickly. The pools are clean and nice to lounge around. Suggest getting there early as there are not enough lounge chairs and people reserve them very early in the morning... even though there is a sign telling you not to. I did not like the main beach as the tiki huts are so close together you are almost on top of each other... VERY crowded. However, there is a private beach/bar for gold members which was fantastic. The walk was a little further, but worth it. My only real complaintS would be the bars and the WIFI. Why do hotels (especially one as big as this) only provide one bartender for each bar? Even two bartenders would make a huge difference and I was very upset to find out I had to pay extra to have WIFI in my room. The WIFI was very slow in the lobbies. All in all a good vacation though.

2 Thank love2race
Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. It is a pleasure to read your review regarding your vacations at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

It is really fulfilling reading that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. It is an honor that you trusted us your holidays.

Regarding your suggestions, we have already reviewed them and taken actions where is necessary.

We would be more than honored to welcome you back.

Cordially,
Guelph
Reviewed January 27, 2014

It's been a couple of years since my last COBA review, but I think it's about time to revisit as we have been back several time since and some things have changed.

My wife and I re-visited the Coba January 12-19 of this year. As per our usual game plan we contacted the resort ahead of time to book our A La Carte dinners and put the request in for the building of our choice. In the past the manager at Coba, Felix Schlokat, has looked after our every need. It wasn't until I contacted the hotel that I discovered that Felix had moved to the Tulum resort and was no longer available at the Coba. It is very interesting to see how the dynamics change when there is a change of such magnitude in the senior administration. All of a sudden, our emails were not getting answered and it seemed like the personal service that we were so accustomed to had gone. The one thing that had always kept us coming back to this resort was their reward for loyalty so our expectations were quite high. Needless to say, with the assistance of the new manager Sidharta Mendoza we were able to pre-book our A La Cartes. We even received the building that I requested. I guess I would simply chalk this up to "working out the glitches of a new management" Strangely enough Sidharta never contacted us during our stay and some of the extra special treats that we had grown accustomed to were no longer provided.

This being said, it was great to see so many familiar faces. Many of the staff members remain the same and actually remember us upon our return. The hospitality remains unchanged. Everyone continues to have a smile on their face and a very positive disposition.

We have stayed in several buildings during our trips. This time I elected to stay in #22. Myself and several friends had gone on a golf trip last year and stayed in this building. I didn't realize upon booking this time, that all the rooms have 2 double beds and no single kings. My wife and I decided to stick with the room. It gave us the option of a little more cuddling....or NOT lol. The building is close to everything. It is right outside Le Gourmet, The Mikado and is close to both the Coba lobby and the Premier Lobby. We loved backing onto the quiet, sitting on out 3rd floor balcony and watching the sunset with a glass of wine (Priceless)

One thing that we noticed more on this trip than any other was the abundance of smokers. It was as if we couldn't get away from them around the pool. WOW I would have loved a non-smoking pool, however I think that this is a pipe-dream (didn't intend the pun) Even the Coba lobby has provided smoking areas that are encroaching into the covered lobby area so now, when the wind is right, we catch wiffs of smoke in the "non-smoking" areas. Management should do something about this!!!

It was great to see Abesaid. He is the Food and Beverage manager at the Coba and I cannot say enough about his continued hospitality. He always makes us feel like we are part of his family and it is a pleasure to chat with him during our amazing A La Cartes.

Let's talk about the restaurants. We have experienced every restaurant on the resort. That includes Coba, Tulum and Akumal (Sian Kaan have their own but it is just too far removed from all the other resorts) My wife and I love getting dressed up and going to the fine dining restaurants. The next time back we will book as follows for 7 nights: Le Gourmet (Coba) X2, Don Pablo (Tulum) X2, Arlequin (Akumal) X2 and Portifino X1. with the exception of the Portofino (Coba), the others are without doubt, the best restaurants. Most of the restaurants have their good points with the exception of the Mediterraneo (Service was excellent but food was sub-par) The rest I would recommend, however the 3 mentioned should be a must on your list (you will thank me)

Finally, the weather was great during the day but a little cool at night for those planning a trip this same time. Make sure you tip. We were shocked to see that people at the restaurants were not tipping. We leave 1-2 for breaky, 2 for lunch and between 5-20 for dinner. We also leave the maid $2 per day and $1 in the fridge for more beer. We also tip occasionally for the odd driver who goes out of their way to get us where we want to go, and always 1-2 at the bars. The staff don't make much of a salary so any tips are very much appreciated.

You will also learn very quickly that you MUST save your seats early morning at the pool. There are signs requesting that you dont do this, however everyone does.

Hope this review helped. Get in touch with me if you need more details.

Room Tip: Building #22 is great location but only 2 double beds per room
16 Thank gord8434
Dear Tripadvisor user,

We truly appreciate the time you took to share your kind review. It is very great that you enjoyed your holidays.

One of our goals is to satisfy our guests. We are very proud of reaching it. Our staff is always eager of offer the best service.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back very soon.

Yours faithfully,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba the 2nd week in January 2014, and we really enjoyed the resort! The resort has a lot to do and and lot of variety in terms of food, beach area, pools, etc. The food at this resort was the best we have had yet in Mexico (we've been to 4 other resorts in the past), and the staff is the friendliest and most accommodating as compared to the other resorts. One staff member in particular, Jose Puc (bell-boy at the Premier Lobby), was extremely friendly and helpful in showing us around the resort, and was by far our favorite employee! If he had the time, he would take us where we were headed and visit on the way, in addition to answering questions for us or giving us more information about the resort. The only part of the trip that we were not so crazy about was the Ocean Safari (one of the snorkeling excursions recommended by the Apple rep), only because of the way time was divided on the trip and what you actually got for the price (~90$/person). The reef was the prettiest we'd seen in 10 years, but the snorkeling itself was only about 30-40 minutes total, there was not much explained/not much to see at the first "stop", and then we were left on the beach for 2 1/2 hours waiting for our van to pick us up. We spoke to the Apple rep and they said they would look into this, as we hope they don't recommend this to other travelers! All in all, we would definitely go back to this resort and were very pleased with our trip.

3 Thank Sarah S
Dear Sarah,

We really appreciate your valuable review about your stay at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. It is a pleasure to read you had a good time here and you enjoyed our facilities.

It is important to comment that the Ocean Safari is a third party outside our enterprise. However, we will forward your comments so that they take actions where is necessary.

We would like to welcome you back.

Cordially,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This Hotel has the worst Staff I have experience in my life. Asking for a simple glass of water is a battle at this place. I had to go to three different bars to get water and I was denied. The Front desk had no water to offer me. The snack bar gave me a hassle and insulted me in Spanish. little did they know that I'm Fluent In Spanish. I disliked my stayed here. Save your money and go somewhere else, the 2 hour drive from the airport to this Hotel is not worth it!

5 Thank Ruby M
Dear Ruby,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to read everyone’s opinion.

Regarding your recent stay with us, we are sorry that our facilities did not meet with your full approval as we are proud of ourselves on high quality service. However we will review your comments to take actions where is necessary.

Kind Regards,
Vancouver
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed from Jan 19-26 via Transat Royal Golden package. With Transat, they provided a direct airport transfer to the hotel without any stops at other hotels like Sunwing. However, this hotel is quite far from the airport and it takes approximately 1hr 20mins.

This hotel advertisers as 'MEX standard' 5 star but it is more 4. But for the price I paid thanks to the price drop guarantee I would rate it very good for the value.

My trip did not start off good. By the time we reached the hotel and got checked in was close to 2100hrs. We were told to wait for our baggage as the bell hop did not have keys to the room and would leave it outside the door. So it was late, family hungry and had to wait in the room for bags which took another 20 mins. The room had a strong damp and moldy smell. This was due to the bathroom not having any extractor fans. The bathroom ceiling had mold as there was no way for moisture to escape. We were given a King sized bed, so we called the reception and asked for an extra bed for our son and for them to do something about the strong odor.

After the bags arrived, we left for dinner at the buffet, on our way, we saw a guy at our block carrying a dehumidifier, we asked him if he was going to our room and he said yes. We reminded him that we needed an extra bed, blanket and pillow, he said ok and we tipped him.

Off to the buffet and all the food was cold. Well we thought, it was late, like 2200hrs, it was expected. After dinner, we got back to the room and the room still smelled terrible. There was no extra bed, but they made up the sofa bed with no blanket or pillow (just pillow from the sofa). We called about the blanket and pillow and they said 10 mins but nothing came. My son ended up sleeping with us and because of his tossing and turning, I did not get any sleep. Very next morning, I went to the Golden lobby and asked again for my extra bed, pillow and blanket. I was then told that because they were full, they had nothing but will try. By the end of the day they brought in an extra bed, but guess what, still no blanket. Also by end of the trip still no extra blanket.

On to the good points of the trip. The grounds are very very well taken care off. Gardeners are working constantly to keep the grounds immaculate. There is free wifi at all the lobbys (Coba, Akumal, Tulum, Golden lobby), but the speed is like 0.15 mbps but is enough to check emails and browse your facebook etc.. Lobby at all the resorts are beautiful and clean.

Buffet - Coba buffet is the larger one with wide variety of food. There is food for every taste. If you can't find something you like, I don't know what you eat daily. However, although they have themes every night, they are pretty much the same. Also the service at Coba is lacking as they do not have enough servers to handle the load of people.

Akumal the buffet is smaller but the service is very good. Tulum the buffet is bigger than Akumal and the service is also good. We normally have breakfast at Akumal as it is next to the beach. For dinner I would stick to Coba as it has more variety.

A la Carte, we booked Mikado, Le Gourmet, La Tortuga (Brazilian rodizo) and Pescador. Like most people said, hard to book something early, when we booked, everything was full, only had late spots like at 2130 or 2200. Most of these restaurants, they are not filled to capacity. If they did, I am guessing they would not only loose money, but their service will also suffer. By keeping it low capacity, their staff are able to provide an excellent service. They would rather people go to the buffets to keep their cost down. Food wise, all was very good but I would skip Pescador. Charcoal grilled whole Grouper turned out to be 2 pieces of pan seared fillet no better than the ones from the buffet WOT.

There are also 24 hr snack bars which served buggers and pastas. In summary, you will not go hungry or thirsty at this resort. You will be satisfied.

Beaches - The sea was quite rough the week we were there, red flag everyday. However because they had break waters to create lagoons, it was very swimmable with clear water to see fishes or to snorkel. The main beach with the zoomba stage by the Akumal lobby had the best beach as the sand was not as rocky. Other parts of the beach was quite rocky.

Pools - They have many nice pools at all their resorts however they were nearly ice cold. At this time of the year, the pools were not comfortable to use. Mostly kids used the pools as they were more tolerant than adults. It would have been nice if the pools were heated. They have a couple of Jacuzzis around the resorts with a bar at each but again none are heated. If you went during a hotter time of the year, you would definitely enjoy the pools.

The resort is huge as it is 3 resorts in one, however, if you figure out their cart system, you can get around easily and quickly. Also, if you study the map carefully, walking from Coba Golden lobby to the beach is only 5 mins. Take time to look a the map, and you would be able to find short cuts to walk around the resort.

I requested a room on the 3rd floor as I always found these quieter. However, by the time my room was made up each day, it was close to 1530hrs. Housekeeping was not consistent. Some days I would get 3 towels, some days 2. Some days I would be missing face towels and some days no soap. Wear slippers in the room as the floors are not mopped, if you walk bare footed remember to wash your feet before your jump into bed (watch your tub turn black). I stayed at blk 8, housekeeping at this block was done by guys, face it, we guys do not do a job as good as the women. Women are more attentive to detail.

Overall, if you scored a good last minute deal like $800 not including tax, it is a great deal. If you paid over 1k and expecting 5 star service look else where. Would I return, if I got a another good deal during a warmer time of the year, definitely.

Room Tip: Leave the balcony door open, fan on and air condition off. This would clear the room smell after a f...
6 Thank illuminated2010
Dear Tripadvisor user,

First of all thank you for choosing Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts as your destination. We are honored that you spent your holidays with us.

We are really happy to read that you enjoyed the kindness of our staff. Our goal is to make you feel confortable.

Our warmest regards.
Charlotte, Michigan
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We will DEFINITELY stay there again. The friendliness and helpfulness of the entire staff, the quality of the room and amenities, the transportation, and the all you can eat food and drink, including alcohol, of the all-inclusive package were all EXCELLENT. The beach was NICE, the pools were NICE, the entertainment was FUN, and the shopping for souvenirs was NICE too.

2 Thank Jose Y
Dear Jose,

Muchas gracias a usted for your beautiful comments about Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. We appreciate the time you took to share them with us.

Reading that you had excellent holidays. Your comments about the staff are very rewarding. We will transmit them your kind words.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards,
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience on the Riviera Maya
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!