“It's the little things......” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
London, Canada
“It's the little things......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Just arrived home. Being a repeat traveller to GBP Coba I was a bit disappointed this time around.
The grounds as always looked great. Our room was great it was a junior suite that must have recently been refurbished. The Buffett was good. The a la carte very good. The transportation this time around was in my opinion very poor, the wait times were much longer than I remembered, the big red wagons that transport you from Coba to Tulum or Hacienda should in my opinion be outlawed due to the exhaust you are forced to breathe in. If you want a pulmonary disease ride on one of these.
The service at the buffets was not good. I am not a fancy fellow that wants or needs to be pampered but I expect a certain level of service at a a buffet wether a 5 star or a 2 star resort. In my opinion they are understaffed.
It's still a great place to vacation they could just do a little better I know they can because I've seen it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juan M
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Juan,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing a detailed review about your stay with us. It is delightful to read that you enjoyed your vacations at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We truly appreciate your nice comments and your suggestions. Rest assured that will review them to make improvements where is necessary in order to offers a better service with the highest quality.

We would be honored to welcome you back soon.

Cordially,
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel on the Mayan Riviera
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,540)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

8th time and there will be a 9th! Fantastic staff especially Miguel Angel Vitz. He was a pleasure to see each day for breakfast and lunch. Made us feel rght at home and went out of his way to make us comfortable. The resort has everything you and your family will need to have the best vacation. New waterslide park our son absolutely loved- and kept him busy all day. Staff always smiling and all in all it's the place to be. Thanks Bahia Principe.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank rsiffledeen
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion about your 9th stay at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. We are very pleased that all your family had a wonderful time. It is an honor that you had decided to choose us to spend your holidays

We are very proud of our staff effort, since they made you feel comfortable fulfilled your expectations once again.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

Regards,
Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

After hearing such fantastic reviews about this huge resort I was left disappointed. The resort is massive and because of that I feel it loses that personal service. My main concern was the food. After working in catering previously for almost 10 years I am aware of what uncooked or warmed food can do for you. The food was always the same and frequently cold or lukewarm. You can book up to 3 restaurants a week so I was hoping the food would improve. I must state that the Japanese and Brazilian were fantastic the food was hot and plentiful. However the Mediterranean served a moussaka that I wouldn't give to an animal. Really greasy and salty. The following evening we went to the fish restaurant. I do not like fish but they had chicken as an alternative. I bit into this and it was not cooked. When I complained I even asked to see how food was prepared and was not shown. I filled in complaints in 3 places and no one got back to me. Really poor customer service. The only other complaint was the entertainment. Maybe I had been spoiled in Cuba but here the entertainment was poor. This is the second Gran Bahia I have stayed in, the other was in The Dominican Republic. I will never set foot in one again

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room with light coming in. Room smelt damp as no air getting in or sunlight. Cl...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Karen G
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Karen

First of all we would like to thank you for expressing your opinion. We appreciate the time you decated to share it with us.

We are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities such as the a la carte restaurants.

We are truly sorry that we did not meet with your full approval in some facilities as we pride ourselves on guest satisfaction. However, we would like to comment that the areas of opportunity which were described have been reviewed by our management team so that they take strong steps to improve where is necessary.

We hope you decide to visit us again; we assure you we will exceed your highest expectations.

Kindest regards,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

First time in Mexico and first time in an all inclusive. Stayed for 7 days in the coba resort of the group. Since it combines 4 resorts ( possibly more in the future) the place is massive but there is however frequent trams going around to get you to places like the beach, lobby, buffet etc. Being a couple in our 20s we didn't mind the walking and the exploring when required but I can understand how it can be daunting for those less able. Regarding the rooms themselves, they are spacious and comfortable though the room did have a slight damp smell typical of many tropical hotels. For first timers in our demographic, I would recommend trying this hotel out as it is a decent hotel.

We charged wifi to our credit card and at times it would drop out at times but the phone tech support would reset the connection over the phone quite efficiently.

Not sure if it was my imagination but I had a suspicion that the alcohol was switched out to a watered down mix during the evenings. If your aim is to get lit I would suggest getting some duty free liquor on your way in just in case.

Regarding day trips and tours, I would suggest hiring a car from the lobby and getting a map/gps. It is very easy to navigate the area and we went to a Cenotes and to the Tulum ruins in half a day. For those slightly more adventurous and patient I highly recommend doing it this way rather than paying for a tour!

Final note, bring some small currency for tipping the staff, even if the food is a 3.5/5 at times they go a long way in making sure you are wanting for nothing and are eager to serve.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sherwin b
Dear Sherwin,

We would like to express our sincerest thanks to you since your comments are very heartwarming. It is a pleasure to know that you had an awesome time at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

It is really rewarding to read your positive review and that you enjoyed our facilities and the friendliness of our staff.

It would be an honor to welcome you back.

Kind regards,
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in The Riviera Maya
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I took a last minute get away and chose this resort. It was a 6hr flight, customs had a long line and it was another 1.5hr drive from the airport to the resort. When we finally arrived, we were immediately greeted and welcomed but hungry and just wanting to start our mini vacation. Carlos Tun, the front desk supervisor checked us in and was excellent. Took his time to inform us of the facilities and the resort. He informed us that we need to go see guest services to book our ala carte reservations as they are booked up quickly. There was only one agent around and helping another guest, the second agent KARINA came, sat at her desk and did not acknowledge us. I HAD to approach her to see if she can help us. When we told her the restaurants that we wanted to go to, she snapped and said you are only entitled to 1 ala carte as your only here for 5 days. We informed her that Carlos has written on our sheet that we get 2 ala cartes. She threw her pen on the desk and stormed off to talk to Carlos. She came back and said you are only entitled to 1 ala carte but I will do you a favor and give you 2. But really we are entitled to 2 ala carte whether we are there for 5 or 7 days. Karina did not know what she was stating and tried to cover it by saying "she is doing us a favor."She was being difficult and giving us reservations for 1030pm meals. When asked if she is having a bad day, she said no, when asking her to speak to her manager, she all of sudden said her comprehension of english is poor. This was our encounter for the first 15 minutes of our trip. We spoke to Carlos, who checked us in, and complained to him. KARINA had "trainee" on her ID badge and it clearly showed that she was not fully trained on the job. But being new to a company and dealing with guests, your customer service should be top notch. Carlos went out of his way to make sure that we were looked after. He left letters in our room, called to make sure that our stay was going ok and was available for our needs but also we witnessed he was attentive to all the guests needs. KARINA was one hiccup that almost turned our vacation sour but Thank you to Carlos for making it memorable. Other than Karina, the resort is beautiful, great food, pleasant staff, and clean rooms. If you need to make reservations for your ala carte and see Karina, deal with another agent, you'll get better service from them. Karina should not be working in an industry where she is dealing with customer service, and hopefully management will attend to this matter.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mochamojo G
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor user,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your comments and for choosing us. We really appreciate that you have taken time to share your opinion about your stay.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our facilities and that you were pleased during your stay. We have sent your kind comments to Carlos. He is an example of the friendliness and the high quality of service that defines us.

Our main goal is that our guests are comfortable and satisfied. We are sorry regarding areas of opportunity described. We inform you that your suggestions have been reviewed with our management team and we have taken corrective actions where is necessary.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Kindest regards,
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I was a guest of the Coba from Oct.12 to 26th. Since becoming a member of the Bahia Principe Club in December 2012 I had always had slight misgivings as to whether I had made the right decision. As it turned out, I have!

From my arrival in Cancun to my departure from the resort, Mrs. Anna and her team at the Privilege Club concierge office took wonderful care of me. The staff was professional, efficient and caring and always there for me when I had a question or concern. This was especially important to me as I was vacationing alone for the first time after decades of vacations with my late husband. My reasons for joining, safety and luxury, where fully satisfied. Judging by the number of visitors to the Privilege lounge there seem to be a lot of new members and I hope the Club can keep up its high standard.

The resort is lovely and particularly the main building reflects the Mexican and Mayan heritage with its impressive artwork. I am glad that much of the original flora and fauna has remained undisturbed.

The hotel staff takes excellent care of the guests and once one has figured out the lay-out of the grounds, it is fairly easy to get around especially thanks to the golfcarts small and large. The food is very good and fresh with lots of variety. I practically turned into a vegetarian at the buffets in all three of the Bahia Principes. Each one of the a la carte restaurants is beautifully appointed and most of them could easily compete in any Northamerican city. I am not surprised that many of the guests have been at the resort a number of times
All in all, a memorable experience for all the best reasons.
If you are reading this, thank you again at the Privilege Lounge!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LuckyKind
PrivilegeClub, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear LuckyKind,

On behalf of Bahia Principe Privilege Club we want to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Grand Bahia Principe Coba and your first experience as a Privilege Club member.

It is always heartening to learn that the expectations of our members have been surpassed. We are thrilled to know that Ana and the Privilege Concierge team in Mexico provided you with such exceptional assistance, as well as the hotel staff. We will be sure to share this feedback with all of them.

Your kind comments on the facilities are welcome and we are certainly happy to learn that you found the gastronomic offer diverse and tasteful.

We hope your membership continues to provide you with memorable vacations and to receive once more at Grand Bahia Principe Coba.

Best regards,

Stephany Tavarez
Customer Service
Bahia Principe Privilege Club
Bloomingdale, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was our 6 family vacation in your resort!! As always we have an excellent time!! Every customer service experience I had was excellent, ALL the staff were VERY friendly and helpful. Hopefully we will be able to visit your resort next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Danuta P
Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for all your comments. We feel that our effort worth it when we read that you enjoyed your stay at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We are happy to know that every time that you visit us we fulfill your expectations once again. It was an honor to host you on your 6th stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another pleasant experience.

Kind regards,
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel on the Mayan Riviera
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#67 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,394 reviews
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!