“First e xperience as Member of the Privilege Club beyond my expectations”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Canada
“First e xperience as Member of the Privilege Club beyond my expectations”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I was a guest of the Coba from Oct.12 to 26th. Since becoming a member of the Bahia Principe Club in December 2012 I had always had slight misgivings as to whether I had made the right decision. As it turned out, I have!

From my arrival in Cancun to my departure from the resort, Mrs. Anna and her team at the Privilege Club concierge office took wonderful care of me. The staff was professional, efficient and caring and always there for me when I had a question or concern. This was especially important to me as I was vacationing alone for the first time after decades of vacations with my late husband. My reasons for joining, safety and luxury, where fully satisfied. Judging by the number of visitors to the Privilege lounge there seem to be a lot of new members and I hope the Club can keep up its high standard.

The resort is lovely and particularly the main building reflects the Mexican and Mayan heritage with its impressive artwork. I am glad that much of the original flora and fauna has remained undisturbed.

The hotel staff takes excellent care of the guests and once one has figured out the lay-out of the grounds, it is fairly easy to get around especially thanks to the golfcarts small and large. The food is very good and fresh with lots of variety. I practically turned into a vegetarian at the buffets in all three of the Bahia Principes. Each one of the a la carte restaurants is beautifully appointed and most of them could easily compete in any Northamerican city. I am not surprised that many of the guests have been at the resort a number of times
All in all, a memorable experience for all the best reasons.
If you are reading this, thank you again at the Privilege Lounge!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LuckyKind
PrivilegeClub, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear LuckyKind,

On behalf of Bahia Principe Privilege Club we want to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Grand Bahia Principe Coba and your first experience as a Privilege Club member.

It is always heartening to learn that the expectations of our members have been surpassed. We are thrilled to know that Ana and the Privilege Concierge team in Mexico provided you with such exceptional assistance, as well as the hotel staff. We will be sure to share this feedback with all of them.

Your kind comments on the facilities are welcome and we are certainly happy to learn that you found the gastronomic offer diverse and tasteful.

We hope your membership continues to provide you with memorable vacations and to receive once more at Grand Bahia Principe Coba.

Best regards,

Stephany Tavarez
Customer Service
Bahia Principe Privilege Club

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,663)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bloomingdale, Illinois
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was our 6 family vacation in your resort!! As always we have an excellent time!! Every customer service experience I had was excellent, ALL the staff were VERY friendly and helpful. Hopefully we will be able to visit your resort next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Danuta P
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for all your comments. We feel that our effort worth it when we read that you enjoyed your stay at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We are happy to know that every time that you visit us we fulfill your expectations once again. It was an honor to host you on your 6th stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another pleasant experience.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Spent first 2 weeks in October based at Coba - our first trip to Mexico and first all-inclusive holiday, and it was a wonderful holiday, with beautiful surrounding, grounds and facilities and wonderful staff throughout.
Firstly the resort is massive and to get the true benefit of the entire complex you need to either be prepared to walk (which we loved doing) or use the road-trains (which we often did for specific journeys or when we were simply too hot to walk). If you want to go from hotel room to pool to restaurant to bar - then this resort will be wasted on you.
The staff everywhere were wonderful, nearly always smiling always attentive and always offering to help or look after you.
We have been to a number of hotels offering buffet-style restaurants and yes it is sometimes same'y but the quality was always very good and the choice excellent. We also tried 5 of the a-la-carte's which were generally very good and made a nice change from the buffets.
Generally we don't tend too eat much at lunchtimes, but we did use the snack bars. Having previously seen some awful examples of all inclusive lunchtime food in other places (curled up sandwiches, dried up food and even flies crawling over neglected food displays), the quality and cleanliness was wonderful. The food looked & tasted fresh at midday as it did at 4:00pm.
We loved the cocktails available at any time, non-alcoholic and alcoholic, as these were really refreshing.
To get the real benefit of this wonderful resort, you need to try different areas, pools, snack areas, bars and restaurants, and this was the unique nature of Bahia that we truly loved. If you wanted a quiet pool to sit by and relax or a more lively pool with snack area nearby, or you wanted to sit in a cosy Jacuzzi relaxing by yourself - you could find all these here.
The resort you're based in doesn't matter too much (Tulum, Coba or Akumal) as you can go anywhere, but we chose Coba as we figured it was set back from the others and would be quieter which it was.
To answer some of the criticisms of others - "lots of walking": you should have known that when you looked at the brochure, "waiting for road-trains": they are so frequent it wasn't a problem and they often stopped on route to see if you wanted a lift, "not near the beach": look at the brochure before you book, it's a big resort. "WiFi not great": get a life, you're on holiday (and we never had a problem).
That said, like others our room did have a musky smell, this should be sorted and yes they could do with more bar staff as sometimes you had a bit of a wait. But these were very minor niggles.

My only criticism would be that at times the music at some pools and on the jetty at the beach was so loud it was distorted. Thankfully this was for short periods and often just to pull you in for a game or exercise classes, but it really didn't need to be so loud.

The beach area was wonderful and the sea was almost too warm. They had staff out at all times sweeping up loose stones or racking up sea-weed which I have never seen. Loads of fish and pelicans keeping you company as well.

So overall, for us this was a truly wonderful holiday and resort. Our Thomas Cook rep was great, very knowledgeable and always helpful. All the hotel staff could not be faulted, from the gardeners, to the drivers, to the restaurant staff and reception - they all smiled, welcomed you, said good morning/good night, offered help and ensured you had anything you needed.

We weren't alone in our praise, talking to a number of other couples - they all loved it.

Lastly the travel - we went with Thomas Cook, leg room was very good and the service was good but not great. Would have liked more choice of entertainment, but not an issue really. Sadly just like at the resort, you have to put up with the Brits on holiday mentality - the few giving us a bad name. We had a women travelling with a large group near us on the plane who was clearly terrified of take-offs and landings (sobbing openly on her husband's shoulder) but in between drinking from her duty-free bottle and smoking an electric cigarette despite being caught a couple of times but the stewardess - in my mind she should have been held back and fined.

But - put that aside - it was a wonderful holiday which we will cherish for many years.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nick S
Dear Nick,

We really are thankful that you visited the Gran Bahia Principe Coba. It is kind of you to take part of your valuable time to share your opinion about your experience at our Resort.

We are delighted that you have spent your holidays with us and that you enjoyed your visit at our facility. It is an honor to know that we fulfilled your expectations. Our main goal is that our guests are comfortable and satisfied.

We would like to welcome you back.

Regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This resort is gigantic almost like a MINI CITY with three Bahia’s combined Coba+Tulum+Akumal. We stayed at Coba in Oct last week & booked Golden Club so got nice spacious junior suit in unit 9 which was 15-25 mins walk to most places –Beach/Buffet/ Pool was slight short of 15mins. Place is like a maze & it’s quite easy to get lost. Took us a few days to finally figure out where’s what. You don’t want that on a short 7 day trip! One expects a feeling of familiarity & not being in space.

Apparently it was slow season & half of it’s restaurants & buffet were closed for “cost effective” reasons. Next day we requested room-change to 23 to 27 due to walk involved for a senior person & a kid with us but was declined as the resort was FULLY OCCUPIED!! Really? The person saying it didn’t look convinced himself. He however offered us to check in 2 days if a room becomes available – ya right!

Our package included FOUR Ala Carte & next morning when we tried to book with their guest services – the only availability was 10pm on Thursday night (who eats at that time?) & another for Friday 10:30pm … if we wanted the other 2 then we had to extend our stay for another one week? Sure! Again we were told to keep coming bk every day to check for any cancellation … UNBELIEVABLE!

Going anyplace was a HUGE chore. We must’ve wasted half the time doing that. We were travelling to buffets at Akumal+Tulum to add variety but travel & heat were a complete killer! Despite available trains (small open vans) there was wait-time involved & several in between stops. We are not a fussy bunch & have been to Riu & Barcelo in Dominican and Costa Rica & totally loved it!! This place most definitely leaves a bitter taste. Either they shouldn’t have built a resort the size of a city (& we saw more construction going on) or we booked at wrong location. Tulum+Akumal are smaller & manageable size & on beach. Staff was warm friendly & food was nice. We read reviews before going but seeing is believing! Perhaps we had higher expectations … NEVER going back!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rinki2013
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor user,

We would like to thank you for the time you dedicated to express your opinion about your holidays.

We are very happy to know that you were delighted by the rooms and the buffets.

We are really sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations in some facilities as we pride ourselves on guest satisfaction. However, we would like to inform you that all your comments and suggestions have been reviewed by our management team so that they take strong steps to improve where is necessary.

We hope you decide to visit us again; we assure you we will exceed your highest expectations.

Warmest regards,
Ponta Delgada, Portugal
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Everything is spectacular, hotel, service, location! *****
The hotel is very large but it has great conditions, even when traveling between lobbies and private beach, through carts that are always happening.
The beach is great and has a good bar.
Recommend to everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank di_poli
Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for taking time to share you experience at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts and for your beautiful comments.

It is a pleasure to know that had great holidays and you enjoyed all our facilities and that we fulfilled your expectations.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Best Regards,
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

My only criticism of the resort is if any bride wishes to get married in Mexico at an all inc resort make sure you check to see if the complex has a dedicated wedding room. I only say this because it rains a lot in Mexico, umbrellas are even provided in every room, and there is no plan b if the outside gazebos or beach are no longer viable. We were lucky we had 2 days of heavy rain prior to my daughters wedding day and wisely made other provision with the wedding co-ordinator to use one of the al a cartes for the service. The unlucky bride the day before had her service in a buffet restaurant with travellers moving amongst them with plates of food and drinks. I have messaged the hotel direct on this so that future brides will not be upset on their big day. If the sun shines or the rain holds off then it is glorious.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Wendy,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion. We are very happy to read that your enjoyed the wedding of your daughter and had a good time with us.

All your suggestions are very important, since they are a tool to improve the quality of our service. We have already reviewed your comments to take actions.

Warmest regards,
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a dream wedding in the Caribbean.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

There were 6 of us women travelling together, and this was my first trip to the eastern side of Mexico. None of us had stayed at this resort before. It is much larger than the resorts we have previously stayed at, and initially confusing, especially at check in, because we had upgraded to the golden option, and so had to check in at the premier lobby, instead of the regular lobby where we went first. That initial hiccup became a distant memory for us however, as everything else was great. Food and Beverages: My friend had the foresight to email ahead for our dinner reservations (the golden option gives you 4) so this was already completed as requested. By far, my favorite was the Japanese restaurant. The chef's showmanship was the best I have seen.. and the food was delicious. But honestly, I felt all the food was great in the restaurants and the buffets. Very large selection, and great service. There are many bar options, and the drinks are excellent, working hard to please. Bring a thermo cup for your beach drinks, easier to stay cold when you are at the beach, and no worries if you tip it over, plus they hold more, so less trips to the bar. Have a chocolate martini when you are at the lobby bar. Service: Every customer service experience I had was excellent, all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms: Like many of the reviews comment, there is a musky smell in the rooms, which I brought home with me in my clothes. It is an inconvenience, but not enough to deter me. Next time, I may try bringing air freshener or something, and I note one reviewer dealt with this by leaving the doors open at every opportunity. Wet clothes or towels you hang in the room never ever seem to completely dry, it is just very humid, and I am sure this is the problem. The rooms are large with a sitting area and small table. They come equipped with coffee makers, which I appreciated, and your bar fridge is stocked regularly. Great bathrooms, everything kept very clean. The buildings are all three stories high, and there are no elevators, so if you have any mobility concerns, ask for a low floor. Also as this resort is very large there are trolly's everywhere, but you will still do a lot of walking. I also enjoyed shopping in the stores in the resort. No beach venders here, what a welcome change from the previous vacation resorts I have chosen. The beach is wonderful and there is a lot of it, we had no problem finding space. Bring your snorkel gear as you can easily find fish to view in the shallow water. We also took a snorkel tour in Akumal Bay, just a short 2 hour tour which was only about 15 minutes from the resort. Saw a lot of turtles, rays, a large barracuda, and of course the most amazing fish and coral. Just beautiful. We also hired a taxi and went to Playa del Carmen for dinner one night, and then hired the same taxi to take us to Tulum and then to Paradise Beach, both of which are not far away. This worked well for us, and was a very inexpensive alternative to a pre-packaged tour. The pools were also excellent, loved the swim up bar, first time I have been to a resort with one of those. All in all it was a great vacation, and one worth repeating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank yyesiamtrish2
Dear Tripadvisor user,

First of all we would like to express our gratitude for taking time to share your comments about your great vacations at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort.

We are very happy to know that your highest expectations were fulfilled by the quality of our facilities and the helpfulness that defines our staff.

We would be honored to welcome you back

Kind regards.
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!