$308
$357
$233
$191
  • Breakfast included
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$149
$132
$308
$340
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
14,354 results
All reviewspremier lobbycozumel buffetle gourmeta la cartesfishgolden lobbysnack barplaya del carmenquiet poolakumal beachshow tablemichael jackson showmain buffetother resortsgreat resortdon pabloactivity pool
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a massive resort and I am very keen to not be misread in my feedback as the resort is a beautifully kept facility and the public areas, bars and restaurants etc are very well presented.
We had 2 rooms in the Coba which were clean and large and overall were very comfortable.

This was our second year in a row doing all inclusive in Mexico and compared to previous experiences here the positives were definitely the quality of the food which in both the buffet restaurants and speciality restaurants was actually pretty good and of a consistent quality. The only poor experience was in the Mediterraneo which is very basic and the service was like a fast food restaurant. The night we were there they ran out of steak and the deserts were no different to the main buffets.
The Brazilian was excellent and the quality was superb - highly recommended.

The biggest issue with the resort as mentioned in previous reviews is the service which is no way at a level of Virgin Hols 5 V rating. Their just appears to be a lack of staff in all areas, bars, restaurants etc and trying to get a drink in all of the bars with the exception of the Hacienda is a tortuous exercise. Also at night they start closing up 10 to 15 mins before closing time and they leave one person serving. One night the waitress refused to serve me at 11.15pm in the Coba lobby and directed me to the bar where there was a massive queue and another night in the Daquiri bar the staff started clearing up at 10.45pm leading to a lack of attention to waiting customers.
Breakfast in the Coba buffet is a scrum down and the poor staff just can't keep up with the demand for tables, coffee, juice and water.

In short this resort is too big for the management team to manage and no one seems to be in day to day control of service levels.
As previously mentioned I would advise against tipping as it has no impact on the service at all and I am by nature a good tipper where it is merited.

Would I return - no but purely down to the impersonal nature of the resort and the poor service levels.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Craighigg1959
SubDirectorGBPC, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor user,
First of all, thank you for choosing us to spend your holidays. We really appreciate your review.

Regarding your comments, we are truly sorry that during your stay our high standards of quality were not reflected. We will review your suggestions with our staff in order to improve more our service.

If you give us another opportunity, we will do our best to treat you as you are worthy and fulfill your highest expectations.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We just returned after staying for a week 7/21/13 - 7/28/13. We were a party of 3 - with our son being 8. Let me say that we normally cruise for our vacations, so this was our 1st all inclusive. I spent days reading all the reviews posted before deciding to give this resort a try. Here is a simplified review:

PRO's:

1. Large beautifully maintained resort.
2. Transportation around the 3 resorts was top notch. Never waited
more than 5 minutes. Never had a problem finding where to go.
3. Staff was friendly and always pleasant and helpful
4. We did NOT tip at all in the bars or resturants. It was never expected
and all our service was excellent.
5. Pools were spectacular. Chlorine levels were monitored frequently
and the staff was constantly cleaning.
6. The waterpark was a great addition and even though our son is 8, he
loved it. There was always a lifeguard present.
7. The variety at the buffets was good and we never had a problem
finding something to eat. We tried the buffets at all 3 resorts.
8. Our room was very large and clean. (we were on the 3rd floor)
9. Pamela at the Olympus Tours desk was fantastic. She gave us great
advice on the excursions and the price was great and she even gave
us coupons.
10. Because of how large the resorts are, the pools and common areas
never seem overally crowded.

CONS:

1. The buffets and restuarants are NOT air conditioned. I agree that it
would have been nice to eat in air conditioning, but you get used to it.
2. The beds are as hard as a rock. This is the BIGGEST issue we had.
You have to ask for a mattress topper well in advance of your stay.
- wish I would have known this. But am not sure if it would have
helped. We were stiff most of the stay. This is probably the ONLY
thing I would say is truly concering.
3. There is a language barrier with the housekeeping and mini bar staff.
They do not speak English at all - But we are visiting their country
and we could not speak Spanish so I do not feel this should weigh
heavily on the review. Front desk staff always had someone who
spoke english.
4. We had an issue getting wash cloths each day, but after speaking to
a manager at the front desk this was taken care of.

All in all I would say this was a great resort for the money. Is it a 5 star? No, but it does not claim to be, nor is it priced as such. We would stay again. We met a lot of people at the pool and everyone from guests to staff was very nice.

I actually had an incident where I stepped on something and a splinter was stuck pretty deep in my foot. A lifeguard was summoned. After looking at it, he realized it was pretty deep and needed a pin to try and dig it out. He was very gentle, sterilized everything with alcohol and got it out. He put antibiotic cream on it and a bandaid and then covered it in water proof tape. A Public Relations Manager was present the entire time as well. They were very concerned with where it happened and made sure there was nothing on the ground. They had me file a report. Later that night someone called the room to check on me and make sure I was OK. The next day the manager called to make sure I was OK or if I needed something. I was VERY impressed with this.

Room Tip: We stayed in 21B - 3rd floor room 32137 It is located right near the pool/waterpark and also very close to the main lobby and buffet. It was a perfect location. We had no issues with noise (and we were in bed pretty early each night). There are NO elevators so you do need to climb stairs but it wasn't bad. We had no problems with bugs.
1  Thank Lohling

Dear Tripadvisor user,

First of all we would like to thank you for trusting us your first time visit to an all-inclusive Resort and sharing your kind comments about your experience. It is a pleasure to know your opinion.

Our main aim is to fulfill our guests’ expectations. The best reward is to notice that we have reached it. Your nice comments make us keep working harder every day.

It is a delight to read that you were pleased with our facilities as the restaurants, transportation, the water park and the hospitality of all our staff members. We are happy that you had great holidays.

Also, we would like to thank you for your suggestions. We will review them in order to improve the quality of our service.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you again at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel on the Mayan Riviera
Best Regards,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Me and my wife stayed @ GBP Coba Golden Club from July 19-28th. Speaking of "Golden Club"... Please DO NOT upgrade to this feature. It is a total waste of money. The only thing you get is a VIP amenities in the bathroom that include: beauty products, tooth-paste, tooth brush, slippers, bath robe, etc. etc. (you can probably get them in a dollar store for less than $10) In addition, you are going to be located close to 2 lobbies (which in reality are not that close). Akumal Premier and Coba. THERE IS NO free WiFi in your room if you are Golden Club (only payed version of it). Everyone uses free WiFi located in all the lobbies which is extremely slow. We installed an application that allowed us to connect to WiFi and call any US numbers for free. (highly recommended- Android version and am sure you can find iPhone similarity) Lets move on to the room. Our room keeping service was excellent. Aurelio has done an outstanding job. As far as the buffet goes... The food was disgusting. It felt like we were eating dog food.The service was horrible because during busy hours there were not enough employees to satisfy every costumer needs. For example: we had to pour water by our selves after eating our entire meal. But on the other hand, the only 2 restaurants that we would highly recommend were: Mikado and Gran Tortuga (Brazilian Steak House). Deliciously cooked; flavors were well soaked in and it was very healthy. The other 2 were Portofino: a OK food and Mediterranean- the worst out of all restaurants. My stake was soaked and dripping in oil. There are around 32 bars in the whole resort. Some get very busy, with a long delay in service especially in the pools. We were expecting much better stay. Probably will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to Golden Club- waste of money!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Immoderatus
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for your comments and for choosing us. We really appreciate that you have taken time to share your opinion about your stay.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our facilities and the warmth of our staff. We will send your greetings to Aurelio. He will be happy to receive them.

We are really sorry for the inconvenient experienced during your vacation so that as a testament to our strive for perfection; we have taken steps to ensure that this will never happen in the future. However, we would like to comment you that the golden club includes many VIP amenities, such as bathrobes, the lounge with your own computers, a fourth dinner at an international cuisine restaurant, etc.

Again, please accept our sincerest apologies. Your comments and suggestions have been reviewed with the head of the department, rest assured we are taking corrective actions so we can offer the service our guest are worthy of.

We hope you decide to visit us again in the future; we assure you we will exceed your highest expectations.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have just returned and are delighted to be home! The hotel experience was a catalogue of disasters - our 14 & 12 year old daughters were in a room on their own across the corridor from us for 4 days(the house phones didn't work, so they were unable to contact us in case of an emergency) . This was despite requesting inter-connecting rooms at the time of booking and sending an e-mail prior to our arrival. To not even allocate rooms next to each other was confusing to us.
We had to stand our ground to even get the reception staff to try and help us as we were met with indifference at best and complete ignorance at worst. The room we were given smelt badly musty, was damp and we realised the next day that the overwhelming offender was the sheet on our bed which was covered in fungus. We reported this and it was rectified, however, the room was still smelly. There were lightbulbs missing and the rooms were both pokey and dark wihout much natural light.
When we eventually moved, having lived out of suitcases for 4 days, the bathrobe in our bathroom had a blood clot on the front - we left a note for the cleaner in Spanish to remove it & told the reception. It was still there for 2 days - in the end we left it on the floor with our wet towels when it finally got taken away.
The Virgin rep, Raffa, tried hard to help us put things right, but he could not help the fact that there is a severe lack of "hospitality" and training in effective communication with guests on the part of the hotel.
We were seen as a bothersome nuisance which is not how anyone wants to be or be seen while on their holiday.
The "guest relations" went overboard on the 5th day by phoning us to check all was well, however, we would have appreciated a decent welcome on our arrival and a level of courteous service from the begining.
The rooms were so damp that we have washed every item we took as they smelt terrible. This is clearly something the hotel needs to address, in addition to the reservation of beds- by 7am there is not one bed left in the shade and no one is there to enforce the signs diplayed stating beds should not be reserved.

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays
3  Thank malvih
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor user,

We are thankful for the time you took to share your opinion about your stay with us. We are honored that you choose our resort for your last vacations with your family.

We are truly sorry inconvenience that you experienced, so that as a testament to our strive for perfection, we have taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again by creating companywide training sessions so we can offer the service our guest are worthy of.

Regarding the problem with your room that you experienced during your stay we would like to share with you that the humidity in the rooms is a reality we have to face in some of our rooms. It goes up and down depending on the season or the weather. It is a natural issue in all along the Riviera Maya and our housekeeping and maintenance department do their very best to fight it day by day.

However we have sent your comments to the head of the Maintenance and Housekeeping Departments so that they can take stronger measures to ensure this will not cause further inconvenience. Your opinion and suggestions are very important for us in order to improve the quality of our service.

We will be very honored if you could give us another opportunity. We will do our best to accommodate your wishes.

The kindest regards,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Visited GBP Coba July 20-26. Traveled with family of 4, two daughters ages 7 & 9. This is my 5th visit to the Riviera Maya. All of our stays have been at A.I. resorts. Prior to booking our trip we read reviews from several websites to determine where to stay. This resort was my husband's choice and from the start I was hesitant based on the reviews.
We booked directly with the Resort. Emailed two weeks prior to make reservations for a la cart dinners. Check in was smooth and reservation dinner tickets were given at check in and were as requested. ***Golden Club, I did not notice any benefit to having this "status". The only difference was a 4th a la cart reservation. The premier lobby & buffet was used by all guests (bright orange golden club, light blue basic guests, black timeshare owners).
Room: Villa 28 room 32803 bottom floor. I prefer top floor and requested it prior to arrival. We didn't know we were given ground floor until we reached the room. My husband didn't want to bother with going back to request another room, so I gave in. The room was clean in the fact that beds looked freshly made and no obvious problems (broken floor tiles ect). However, there were smashed mosquitoes on every wall and ceiling in several places (which were never cleaned off) and a musty smell. The rooms are dark dispute the wall lamps and no real ventilation is possible because there are not screen doors to allow for air circulation without allowing bugs in.
***Since coming home I have had wash all our clothes twice in small loads using regular detergent, color safe bleach, baking soda, and vinegar. My clothes still smell strongly musty. Clothes that were hung in the closet have a much stronger smell*** This is the first time I have ever encountered this problem in my 5 visits to this area. So don't buy into the reason that it's due to the tropical climate. Something is wrong with either mold in the rooms and/or air conditioning ducts.
Rooms could use new paint and updated bedding. Top "decorative" cover had holes. Stains on towels. We received one towel animal of a swan on our Anniversary day. Our air conditioner did work and was definitely needed.
Food: Food at the buffets was average for the I.A. experience. Food was stocked continuously and the resort does give effort to offer variety and food safety. ***I saw several guests with poor manners. Tasting things and putting them back on the trays and refusing the hand sanitizer offered to them at the door. My family did not get sick, but if we had it might be more likely that it came from Guests not kitchen staff***AL A CARTS: Mikado was fun and food good. Don Pablo was the best meal we ate all week. Tequila food did not taste fresh and was rather disappointing given we were in Mexico. Portofino Italian food didn't even resemble Italian food.
SERVICE: There is no dout that staff is busy. This resort is enormous. We found staff to be friendly and for the most part, always trying to keep up with demand. We tipped at every meal, but I honestly don't think it would have made a difference in speed of getting drinks or having a table cleared. There was always a wait to get any kind of drink and often there would be one out of our 4 drinks wrong. My husband and I only saw one other couple.
AIR CONDITIONING: It was rare that the air conditioning was on. Most of the time windows (where they had them) were open and ceiling fans were on. Unfortunately, this was not very effective. The resort is away from the beach and most of the time there was no breeze to help circulate the air.
POOL: There are several pools and once you get oriented to the resort you will see that you are closer to pools than you may have thought. All the pools were well kept and enjoyable. I did notice that the kids water park would get closed often. Kids were slipping on the bridge and getting hurt. Once they had to drain the park over night to clean it and recondition the water. I didn't reopen until afternoon the following day.
BEACH: We found a cove on the Akumal beach near Akumal Hotel's villa 64. There were always chairs with cover available. The beach was great for kids and fun for snorkeling. We went to the actual Coba beach once. It was crowed with teens, drink enthusiasts, and topless goers.
***There are NO TOPLESS signs at the pools and beach, but this doesn't get enforced. My daughters were unaware that women of any culture went topless until this trip. There were topless females of all ages. A family also seemed to regularly have their 4-5 year old boy naked at the pool. Another first for my daughters.***
OVERALL: I would not go back to this resort. It's hard to pinpoint one thing I really enjoyed. Nothing was absolutely terrible, but I know there are better out there.

7  Thank CricketRoo

Dear Tripadvisor user,

First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. The most important for us is the feedback of our guests because it is the tool that helps us improve every day the quality of the service we offer.

We will be very honored if you could give us another opportunity to restore the confidence in us.

Sending our kindest regards