“Fantastic All round fun holiday”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We're staying here at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba right now - it's fantastic. Our villa 27 is located overlooking a pretty quiet pool and is on the ground floor so easy to throw the kids bits and pieces onto the balcony from the pool.

Even though the maps lead you to take some pretty crazy routes to get from a to b, a wife with a good sense of direction can soon get you to the fantastic Cozumel restaurant which is always quiet and food exceptional. We try to sit around the same kind of spot to enjoy exceptional service from our waiter Zacharias who is a credit to the hotel. Happy to say that he and the other hotel staff are unbelievably friendly and our kids won't know what's happening at mealtimes when they don't get all the attention when we get home.

You can take the trolleys to get about but with a Phil and Teds double buggy which weighs the same as the titanic, we've been walking everywhere.

I'd recommend this hotel unreservedly and though I agree with the chap that said the check in could be smoother, you really can't fault it. It's as good if not better in terms of facilities than the more pricey Sensatori resorts we've stayed at.

Someone was on about the air con situation. Yes, some areas are a bit warm but I guess it's hard to get the balance right between open and airy and air tight and conditioned in the communal areas.

We've eventually found everything on the site although the Dolphin experience is weirdly hidden and took a Bear Grylls like expedition to find.

I'm usually bored of holiday food after a day or two but I'm still finding something wonderful 5 days in. Had beautiful rare fillet steak in the Portofino restaurant last night which was a pleasant surprise to get on an all inclusive.

So really looking forward to the next 10 days - hope you enjoy your stay here as much as we are

Stu Bates & Family

• Stayed: July 2013
9  Thank Stueybates
RRPPCOBA, Relaciones Publicas at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Mr. Bates,

First of all we want to thank you very much for take part of your vacation to share with us your comments and we hope that you and your family still having a wonderful experience here in Grand Bahia Principe Coba, if you need something please let our staff know it will be a pleasure to help you.

Kindest Regards,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel on the Mayan Riviera

Luciana Carrero

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I left the Grand Bahia Principe Coba at 7AM this morning, and we are still at this very moment at the jetBlue lounge at JFK international airport waiting for our connecting flight home to the Washington, DC metropolitan area. I couldn't wait to get home to start writing this review. To be honest, my mind is still reeling from the contradicting emotions I have felt since we left the resort this morning: depression at having to leave so soon and pure bliss for having experienced one of the most wonderful vacation of my life at this magnificent resort and its two sister properties (the GBP Akumal and GBP Tulum) for the past 14 days (June 14 through the 28th). While we are by no means strangers in the Caribbean and Mexico, I am at a loss for words in describing the beauty of this place, the breathtaking scenery of the palm tree- dotted grounds, the cleanliness of our room (muchas gracias, mi corazoncito Elena!), the ambiance of the a la carte restaurants, the professionalism of the staff (notably Anna from public relations and Jesus, a manager at the Coba Kukulkan buffet and a wait staff at El Pescador.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the elaborate presentation of Mexican history during Fiesta Mexicana night at Hacienda Dona Isabel and the haunting rendition of the song, "El Pastor", by the gentleman cowboy whose name I failed to note. But, the nightly show at the Coba Theatre that has left me in awe for the entire two weeks of our stay may have been the Michael Jackson show and the performance of the lead artist, Armando Jackson. Armando's performance in the tribute to the departed icon, the choreography and special lightings were absolutely outstanding and a great credit to the entertainment team of the GBP Coba.

On fine dining, the following a la carte restaurants deserve mention: Don Pablo, Le Gourmet, the Mikado, El Pescador and Gran Tortuga. The quality of food and service at these specialty restaurants rival those found on cruise ships that ply the Caribbean, if you are cruisers like we are. In the evenings after dinner at either one of the specialty restaurants or at the Kukulkan buffet, my wife and I found the Coba lobby and the courtyard a perfect place for relaxation with coffee laced with flaming Amaretto or a Riviera Maya, compliments of the Coba lobby wait staff, while waiting for the show at the theatre to start.

We stayed in centrally-located Villa 22A, Room 32226, next door to El Pescador and the La Casita snack bar. I must end this review prematurely as we are about to board the last leg of our flight home. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Villa 22A, in my opinion, is one of the most centrally-located buildings at the Coba. It is closed...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JohnR8706
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear John,

We are grateful that you share with us your experience here in Grand Bahia Principe Coba, we are more than happy to read that we have approach your expectations and that you and your wife had an excellent time enjoying our installations, services, shows, activities but particularly the kindness and hospitality of our team members, Elena will be very content to know that you remember her service.

We hope you have a safe return to your home and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon here in your Mexican home.

Kindest Regards,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel on the Mayan Riviera

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Due to the fact that there is no air conditioning in restaurants, lobbies, shops, I have to lower my rating of this all-inclusive. The Coba is beautiful. The grounds are kept up, the pools are fantasitc, the Coba beach is very nice (the Tulum beach is all rocks), the drinks were very good, the food was better at the buffets than in the restaurants. But, I was dripping in sweat. I love hot weather while in pools or at the beach. But, when I get dressed up for dinner I don't want to be sweating and be so uncomfortable. I would not recommend this place for that reason alone!

Room Tip: I think if you are going to use the trolley to go everywhere, which I would recommend, it probably d...
4  Thank Joanne B

Dear Joanne,

Fist of all we wold like to express how much we appreciate that you had chosen Grand Bahia Principe Coba for your resent visit to the beautiful and sunny Mayan Riviera, we are pleased to read that you enjoy our pool and beach and the buffet service. We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you in any of the hotels of our chain.

Sending you our kindest regards,

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We travelled as a family to the GBP Coba. Last year we stayed in the sian ka'an area of the resort which was wonderful but we could not return there this year because I have a 17 year old daughter and they became adults only. Coba definelty lacked in comparison.

Service: some days it was good, some days it was bad. The service at the Coba buffet is much better than the one in the Cozumel buffet at lunch time. Check in/check out was a little slow but was fine.

Rooms: we stayed in the royal golden section and both our rooms were spacious and clean except the pillows had a musty smell to them.

Food: the buffet is just ok. It's huge but the food didnt taste that great and they always ran out of the grilled meats and would take another 30 minutes to grill more. It's also very busy, so the food runs out very fast but they always replaced it within 10 minutes. At every breakfast, they had Churros which were delicious and the desserts at the dinner buffet were good. Disappointing not to see any lobster all week but their was shrimp almost every dinner buffet which was good.

A la Cartes: book before you go via email. We didn't do this and all our reservations were at 9:30. When staying in the royal golden, you get 4 a la carte dinners but we only went to 3. Portofino was Italian and was excellent, the filet mignon was perfection. The only issue we had with this one was we had our reservation at 6 so it was very hot out still and there was no ac on and barely a breeze from the windows. Don Pablo which is the gourmet in the Tulum section was also high quality superb food. Le gourmet was also delicious. The a la carte food was much better and higher quality than the buffet food.

Pools/beaches: the beach was nice but very shallow. There was also some rocks but they could be easily avoided. The water was crystal Lear and the sand white and soft. Tones of fish to look at too. The pool that had a swim up bar had a slippery floor and people would leave their empty cups in the pool. The chair game is definetly on here. Guests up their towels on the beach and pool chairs, leave and don't go back for hours even when we were on the beach at 8am all the chairs under palapa a were taken.

Trams: they weren't that frequent. always had to wait 15 minutes minimum for the right one to come.

The mosquitoes: this was probably the most mosquito infested hotel we've been too. My daughter got 23 bites and she sprayed off like crazy on every part of her body. Even with bug spray, you are out of luck here. The mosquitoes hound every part of you. I even got bit on my eyelid. The mosquito bites also swell up so be prepared with after bite.

Overall: we don't usually return to hotels since we like to see different ones, so we would not return here. It was just ok. I recommend sIan ka'an over this one because it had better food, service and air conditioning. It's also a hour and a half from the airport which wasn't a big del but was still a long bus trip.

Room Tip: We were in villa 9 which was close to the jacuzzis and pools.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ilovethebeach155003

Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience here in Grand Bahia Principe Coba it was a pleasure welcome you in our resort again, we are very happy to know that you and your family enjoy the a la cart restaurant it will be a pleasure to transmit your nice words to the staff,

As the hotel is located in the middle of the beautiful Mayan jungle, mosquitoes are part of the atmosphere we are living in particularly after the rain, we are sorry our strict fumigation program was not effective for you and your family.

Please be assured that we have addressed your feedback to every manager in order to take measures as we always strive for excellence in our service. We would be honor to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family again here or in any of the hotels of our chain.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

So! This was our first time to Mexico. The resort is sort of far, about 2 hours from the Cancun airport. When we arrived, they dropped us off at a lobby, now, keep in mind we have never been here before and are assuming that when we get dropped off either we are in the right place or we will be taken or told where we need to go. This lobby was the Premier Lobby Akumal, not to be confused with the main Coba lobby. We were told by martin, the nolitours rep that we would be taken to the coba lobby to check in. when we stood outside for an hour waiting for the bell boy to take our luggage and us, the bell boy finally asked, where are you going and we said to the Coba lobby, and he said, you are already here.... after waiting an hour!!! THIS WAS NOT THE COBA LOBBY! We then asked martin again, where we needed to go and he again said we would be taken to the Coba lobby, but after refusing to wait more, he finally said we could check in at the lobby we were dropped off at. It felt like 40 degrees out and we were dying to get in to a pool or some air conditioning. We got in line to check in, and the receptionist said, we would be in the 1st villa on the second floor in the 20th room, which if you know the place is quite the prime location. He said 3pm the room would be ready and it was 11:45. More waiting, sweating and drinking... until 3:30 came around. we were given our envelope and room key that said villa 16... on the other side of the resort, 10 minutes walking from the lobby's and food, this place is way to huge. Why bother telling us villa 1 when they knew we were going to get the crappiest villa, way to get our hopes up! Other than that! we made the best of our vacation, you better not get drunk at night or you will get lost, the cart drivers like to play with drunk people, and they also can decide if they want to take you on their cart or not. Make sure if you go you bring a lot of bug spray and after bite. Also if you are a clean freak, they do not fully clean the rooms, I found the bathroom to be the dirtiest, and the design of the bathroom is the worst, water pools all over the floor which is extremely dangerous. The best buffet is the one next to the Coba lobby, that was probably one of the best parts of the resort and the fact that the grounds were well kept. I would go back to Mexico because I love the food, but not this resort.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Victoria J
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear Mrs. Victoria,

Thank you very much for your answer; it will help us to improve the quality of our service. We are truly sorry we could not provide you with a more personalize service. Let us express our deepest apologies regarding the problem with the check in that you experienced during your stay.

We would like to inform you that we will review your comments with our head departments and introduce corrective actions or improvements so that they can take the necessary measures to avoid such problems in the future.

We want to invite you to visit us again and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes.

Kind Regards,

Nayma S. Amabiles

Reviewed July 2, 2013

"how do you want to celebrate your 18th birthday?" i asked my daughter. "i want a special family holiday" she said "and can my boyfriend of 4 years come please?" "only if he can afford to pay for himself" i replied..... so 10 months ago we did loads of research and picked GBP Coba. the countdown began ....... we read all the reviews on here, contacted a few people and asked for lots of tips and hints. On the 8th june we boarded the Virgin Flight to Cancun and 10 hours later arrived to beautiful SUNSHINE!!!

Virgin treated us like royalty, we checked in at the Premier lobby and that only took a matter of minutes (perk of travelling with Virgin apparently). We had 4 a la carte restaurants we could book during our stay. we could have booked our choices on arrival but had emailed in advance our requests for a la carte and our preferences for which rooms we would like. We opted for villa 31 as it was close to the activity pool, childrens splash zone and the buffet restaurant.

We only went for 10 days and definitely didnt see the whole complex. There are trolleys which take you to different parts of the complex, the beach, the other two resorts (Tulum and Akumal)and the staff are soooo happy and friendly. Being British we are used to tipping at the end of a stay but research showed that everyone else seem to tip ad hoc and the staff were so grateful for anything you gave them it made me feel so good about myself making other people happy. Everyday we would wonder what sort of towel art we would find in our room, and as a different person attended to the mini bar we left a note and tip telling him what we would like refilling.

Everywhere was so clean, i even saw a man cleaning the paving! the gardens were spotless not a leaf out of place!!!! The rooms were immaculate and towles replaced daily if left on the floor. There were also beach towels (good sized ones) so that means less weight in your suitcase by not taking your own.

The international Buffet was just that, there was someting for everyone (even a fussy 11 year old) We chose to go to the Gran Tortuga, Tequila and La Gourmet a la carte restaurants all were exceptional service and lovely choice of food. The beaches at the resort were fabulously clean and safe although i would recommend water shoes as some areas were a bit shingly in the sea.

We went off site for a trip to theTulum ruins and XEL-HA water park. We went to the ruins in the morning cos it was supposed to be a bit cooler (IT SO WAS NOT!!).The ruins were something to be seen although you couldnt climb them. The view from the pyramid was spectacular and we were able to cool off in the sea via a beach only accessable by a staircase built into the rock. XEL-HA was an all inclusive water resort fed by the Carribean sea with a huge lake for snorklin, zip wires, a lazy river, sea bed walking cycling track and restaurants and bars. Lots of sea life to be seen and a brilliant afternoon.

We also went to Akumal Bay which was a short taxi ride away and well worth the ride!!! what a beautifu place, wild turtles to swim with, bars to sit at whilst gazing out to sea......... i would reccomend anyone spends some time there.

On our last day we swam with the dolphins in the tulum part of the complex, we had an hour in the water with them learning about the dolphins ending up witha footpush (if you were brave enough)or a dorsal fin ride . of course there the usual photo packages for sale and when we turned our noses up at the price they were immediatley offered at half the price......... hmmmm..... of course we bought them (at the lower price) it was the last day of our holiday and we had hardly spent anything apart from tipping the staff, a day trip, taxi ride and a few gifts!!!

I have only been on one long haul holiday before and that was 13 years ago when we got married in the Domincan Republic, that was a fabulous holiday and this was just as good if not better. Would I return??? Yes if money was no object but there are so many place I want to visit so If I spent that sort of money again I would have to go somewhere else for a new adventure!

Room Tip: villa 31 was a good choice if you have younger children because it is near a restaurant, pool and ch...
2  Thank sharryann
RRPPCOBA, Relaciones Publicas at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Mrs. Sharryann,

Thank you very much for your beautiful words they are an excellent motivation for all the members of Grand Bahia Principe Coba. Its an honor that you an your family prefer our resort over others, we appreciate you share your experience with us. We are looking forward to your next visit to your Mexican Caribbean home.

Sending our kindest regards,

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Lucciana Carrero

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Let me start off by saying we had a great time and I would recommend this hotel. Starting with the good stuff. The complex is huge and there are plenty of options if you want to pool, hot tub, restaurant or bar hop. The food was really good and of course the tequila was plentiful. I found all the facilities, rooms, lobbies and restaurants to be immaculate. Service was very good and always with a smile. The golf course was challenging and is really designed for players who keep it in the fairway. So if you have wide hooks or slices....you're in for a long day and bring a couple of dozen balls. Rooms were spacious and sparkling. Clearly the hotel management spends a great deal of time managing the staff to keep the property at its best and it shows. The trolleys that run between the different lobbies, villa's and "playa" are plentiful. These are key to getting you around the complex with ease...otherwise plan on doing a bit of walking but nothing is crazy far. We walked from villa 15 to Akumal beach almost daily. The best part is you can hit at least 6 bars along the way! Last, the pools are great. They have places for kids to be in and pools for adults to chill out in and even pools that have water polo and other activities in them. If you're a pool goer, you have plenty of options.

So here is the improvement that I'd like to see. 1. Check-in/Check out was less than desirable. We arrived at Coba lobby and were sent "down the hall" to Privileged to check-in after 10 min of fumbling around, the desk agent came and got us then explained he sent us to the wrong place and meant to send us to the Premier Lobby. You can image the subtle disappointment. Considering we've been there 15 min and we have no idea where "Premier" is, we wandered around for a bit until I got directions from the bellstand and hopped on a trolley to go find the Premier Lobby to check-in.... yet our luggage stayed at Coba. Half an hour later we finally got checked in and were sent back to Coba lobby to get our luggage sent to our rooms. I still have no idea Premier means or even if we missed out on special upgrades. But it wasn't Privileged thats for sure. The check-out was a goofy as the check-in....but I knew where the building was and of course there is a lobby bar that saved the day....again. The process wasn't convenient by any means and I think the staff should really revamp the check-in/check-out process for Premier. It didn't make any sense why I couldn't just check-in at the Coba lobby. 2. We had a difficult time getting reservations at 5 of the ones we tried to get into. We tried making reservations the day we arrived and we not able to get anything within 4 days for 3 restaurants and only got into 2 with reservations at 9:30pm and 10:30pm....not exactly ideal but it was the best we could get.

Overall I'd give it a 8-8.25 out of 10 and I would consider trying their properties in Jamaica or Punta Cana for our next trip.

4  Thank CraigMF
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Craig,

On behalf of Grand Bahia Principe Coba, we are grateful to receive your comments from your experience, we are happy to know that you enjoyed our beautiful facilities, great bars, activities and services.

Comments like yours help us to improve the quality of our service day by day, please be sure that we have address your observations to our Front Desk and Food&Beverage Managers, please accept our deepest apologies if your arrival and departure was not as expected it.

Looking forward to welcome you and your family back to provide you with a more enjoyable experience,

Receive our warmest regards,