“Very good but for the rooms....”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We just returned two days ago from Gran Bahia Principe Coba and I think I understand why many people love it and some don't like it at all. So here's my take on it as a foodie, someone who loves walking and doesn't care so much about a room they spend no time in on holiday.

The things to love about this resort: the snorkelling on the very long beach, which due to sandbags can be done any day, even with the red flags up. We saw lots of fish, squid and a barricuda right off the beach.

The a la carte restaurants were surprisingly good, the best I have experienced on a package tour. Le Gourmet was outstanding, we would pay to go this restaurant here. Excellent scallops, filet mignon and a chocolate lava cake better then the ones I am known for bringing to dinner parties. Mexican and Japanese were also very good, with Brazilian and Pescador also fine. The wines at some of the a la cartes were also not bad - low end Spanish and Chilean reds.

The nature is wonderful - birds signing in the morning, coati families running around and iguanas etc.

We found the walking to be minimal for us - from Coba, 5 -10 mins to the beach. We also walked between all the resorts repeatedly, so unless you are out of shape, I can't see the walking as a big deal. That said, our large dog makes sure I walk a lot every day and I handle the heat well.

The down side was the rooms, which are lagging behind the restos and the beautiful location of the property. Our first room got a leaky roof from the rain and they were worried the roof might come in, so we moved. No problem, it was well handled and we got another a la carte for our troubles. However, in the second room, the TV never worked and was never repaired despite our complaint. The jet tub was also almost broken, meaning it worked sporadically and you were never sure it would go off. The room showed significant wear.

I am pretty laid back on holidays and we are readers so not a big issue for us, but I can see it bothering others, or if you had children etc.

The buffets - food selection and quality was very good, but they need to add on some additional busing staff. It is a hassle to get a table, then it takes many repeated requests to get it cleaned, set up, and your morning coffee! Fortunately, we ended up with 5 a la cartes so avoided the dinner free for all. I do tend to get sick easily, and was fine all week so I think the food is safe.

For those considering Royal Club Golden, it was probably worth it for the extra a la carte and the additional bar, breakfast restaurant etc. but know that there is NO room service! Not a biggie, but funny that it is advertised when it doesn't exist!!!

All in all, a good vacation, and I can recommend the hotel if you are not fussy about your room.

5  Thank michelina_41
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for sharing the experience from your stay here in the Grand Bahia Principe Coba, it is always a delight to read that our guest were pleased with our facilities, beautiful grounds and a la carte restaurants.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize again for the inconvenience in you room caused by the intense rains during your stay. Please note that the Golden Package also include room service the 24 hours, you just have to call to the reception request it. We have transmitted your observations and comments to the hotel management in order to reinforce the service and to avoid this from happening again.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to provide you with a more enjoyable experience,

Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Write a ReviewReviews (14,090)

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Coba is the lower end of the Bahia Principe complex in Akumal. There are two beach front resorts, Tulum and Akumal, a golf/ condo resort that is across the main highway, and then there is Coba which is behind the two beach resorts. We stayed at Coba for 8 days and enjoyed our stay most of the time.
You will have problems at this resort if: Your room is not completely 100% stocked with everything that is supposed to be in it before you arrive. We were missing our pool towels and our umbrella and the front desk was less then useless in finding a remedy, however the girl who takes the a la carte reservations was able to help with both items. Our room was also missing the book that explains about the resort and nearby attractions and generally has a listing of all the other Bahia Principe resorts, the front desk had no idea what we were taking about, we gave up on that one. The grounds keeping staff work very hard but they are seriously under staffed, coconut palms have at least three seasons for coconuts still on the tree waiting to drop and konk some poor unsuspecting tourist on the head, so WATCH WHERE YOU SIT and stay out from under these trees. Other vegetation is also over grown around lamp posts etc. The grass is well mowed so that was nice.
We checked in through the Coba Premier lobby and ate breakfast at the Cozumel buffet, if you look up at the thatch roof at the buffet patches of sky can clearly be seen which you might not think about until it rains, which it does daily. The rains flooded the restaurant in three of the days we ate there, the wait staff uses squeegees to push the water out the door which leaves the marble floors wet and slippery, very slippery; so be careful. We had three a la carte dinners and the food was good at all three. We ate at the fish, Mediterranean, and Japanese restaurants. The Restaurants were operated open air with the windows open and no air conditioning, they have ac they just were not running it. So, we sat there sweating in our nice clothes for over an hour eating and swatting an endless supply of mosquitoes the were coming in the open windows. They did offered some insect repellent.
Now for the good parts, the waiters in the restaurants were wonderful, very helpful and attentive. The bar tender at the whirl pool bar was top notch. Our room was well cleaned, we had fresh towels and the bed was turned down every night when we got back from dinner.
Things not to miss when your there: Go to Akumal Beach--not the one at the resort---You will see sea turtles 100% of the time you don't have to go snorkeling, just wade out into the water and look for them, they are there.
Get a cab to Tulum and ask him to drop you off at his favorite restaurant for lunch, he will probably wait for you. Then walk down the main street and do some shopping, Playa Del Carmen has more shops but I don't think they have any more variety then Tulum.
One more bad thing to add---If you do want a beach vacation try someplace else, do not go to this complex. The beach is small and very crowded and most of it is unusable because of the rocks so even if you go to one of beach front resorts at the complex you will still be disappointed.

3  Thank daverzinger
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent visit to Bahia Principe Riviera Maya resort, it is a delight to read that you enjoyed the services from our team and the 3 hotels facilities of our complex.

We have had a meteorological phenomenon during your stay that unfortunately caused some damage in our Hotel, which was not in our control, 5 days with strong raining that become into Tropical Storm “Andrea”. Particularly after the rain and as the hotel is located in the middle of the beautiful Mayan jungle, mosquitoes are part of the atmosphere we are living in and we are sorry our strict fumigation program was not effective for you and your family.

Regarding your observation for the coconut palms as security is first for us we recently cut coconuts and palm leaves that could cause some incident. We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you here or in other hotels of our chain,

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

To many travelers that don't travel very often or who have never been to mexico before with think that this resort is bigger than life its self. But me and my family have been to mexico 5 times prior to this visit and have been here before. my daughter recently had a birthday and she wanted to travel she along with the rest of the family had traveled to mexico 5 times prior and decided that 5 times wasn't enough for such an amazing place so she wanted to go again and we all agreed. we had visited this hotel once before and that was about 6 years ago and a lot of things had changed for the better and for the worse.
THE FOOD: The resort has many different buffets and restaurants which is good if they served different foods in each one. Every buffet and a la carte restaurant had the same kind of food. what you should know about the a la carte restaurants is that one, they give very little amounts of food depending on what you order and men have to go in jeans and shirts with sleeves. the only thing that was good about the food was that they did have snack bars, usually to have lunch you would need to get out of the pool or beach dry up or change and then go to the buffet but with conveniently placed snack bars they had food for everyone and ice cream. The ice cream sometimes looked watery but we were traveling with 8 children and 10 adults (yes we do have a huge family) and nobody complained and we also had a 3 year old child who is allergic to almost everything but fruits, water, soda, candy, meats and grains, her mother had packed allergy medicine and food just for her but didn't need to use either.
THE BEACHES AND POOLS: Both are amazing. there is a lot of space and the water is crystal clear and very clean.
THE TOURS AND EXCURSIONS: we have been on almost every tour in mexico but in this particular hotel there were some tours and such that were close and cheap. We went to Xel-ha, Tulum and playa del carmen and all we amazing. Xel-ha is good for ages 10-50 depending on how much the person can take, there is a lot of walking but a lot of beauty. tulum you should do by your self at a hotel they will make you pay $50 per person while the actual entrance to the park only costs $7, there isn't much to do but look walk around and go to the beach. Lastly, playa del carmen is much like key west,fl there are a lot of shops but be ware everything is over priced.
THE ROOMS: This is the worst part. My actual family that live under one roof had 2 rooms one with me and my daughter and one with my husband, my son and my daughters boyfriend. Both rooms were hot and humid but we gave it the benefit of the doubt but by day three we had done everything possible and still gained nothing every one in our villa had hot humid rooms we only had 2 neighbors because everyone had asked for a room change. we called maintenance and asked them to fix it but nothing worked. my husband had had enough and we got a room change and they were a little better.
THE SERVICE: inside the restaurants and buffets it was horrible but at bars it was better. if you were having any meal anywhere you would probably choke before a waiter got you water. both my husband and my daughters boyfriend would have to get up and go on a man hunt for a waiter sometimes we would just get the drinks our selves. even if you did get a waiters attention it would take then 20 minutes to bring the drink. once my daughter and her boyfriend ordered 2 cokes and they had finished their meal and that was when the waiter came. you would think with there being 18 of us there would be more waiters on us for a big tip from a big family but we were wrong. even if we sat in tables of twos the service was horrible.
A FEW LAST THINGS: The night life is ok. They only had one disco but they did have shows. BEWARE MOSQUITOS!!

Room Tip: Don't go to villa 18 the ac is broken ask for a different room. Get a lower floor room for a bet...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Isabel,

First of all we would like to express how much we appreciate that you shared your detail review and pictures from your recent visit to Grand Bahia Principe Coba, it is a delight to read that you and your family were pleased with the grounds and installations.

The feedback of all our guest is very important as an excellent tool that helps us to improve the quality of our service everyday, we have already address your observations to the hotel management to take the strict actions to reinforce the service were we need to .

It will be an honor of us to welcome you and your family back in any of the hotels of our chain.

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have just retuned from a two week stay at this hotel where we had stayed some 7 years ago.We were extremely disappointed in the standard which we felt had dropped dramatically from our previous visit.
The complex was full and the result was that you had to queue for everything,from a drink in any of the bars to a prebooked restaurant appointment.I should make it clear that this is not the fault of the staff who whilst being totally overworked are plesant and cheerful.This is clearly a management issue which requires the level of staffing to be dramatically increased.The quality and level of entertainment at night is also extremely poor,with the entertainment in the main bar stopping at 10.35 which I feel is too early.The entertainment at the Hacienda does go on to around 12.00 but to be quite honest is extremely poor,repetitive each night,impossible to get a drink and frankly not worth going to more than once.The disco,open till 2.00 is a joke unless you are under 16.I also felt that the buffet food was poor in that I felt it was neither fresh nor piping hot and combination which is not acceptable in my opinion.I also felt that the accomodation,particularly the bathroom,was tired and in need on upgrading as we had water from above running donw our shower wall.I also encountered difficulty getting booked into the a la carte restaurants at suitable times,between 7 and 8.30 particularly during the first week as these were already full despite us having gone to book these first thing in the morning after our arrival the previous evening.Please note this should be you first priority.On the plus side the beach is generally good and the pools are excellant with lots of activities.In summary I was extremely disappointed in the Bahia which I felt had let its standards drop massively and could not recommend the hotel to anyone

3  Thank Sansoos

Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you for sharing your comments and impressions from your recent holidays here in the Riviera Maya, it will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are very concerned to learn about your disappointing experience and are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations. Please be assured that we have addressed your letter to every manager in order to take measures as we always strive for excellence in service.

We will be very honor if you could give us a second opportunity to restore the confidence in our chain here our in any of the others hotels of our chain.

Sending our kindest regards,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Bahia Principe Coba from May 24th to June 1st. We had previously stayed in the Tulum section so we had a pretty good idea of what to expect. In previous trips to Mexico we had stayed at the Riu's, the Grand Palladium and the Parnassus. Bahia Principe is second to none.

I am going to break the review down into different sections.

Transfer to hotel

We used USA Transfers. It was worth every penny to pay for the private ride. Our driver made the trip in a little over an hour. Hats off to USA Transfers.

Check in

We arrived at the hotel around 12:30. We were dropped off at the Coba lobby but upon speaking to the front desk woman were told we needed to go to the Premier lobby. After a few minutes a tram took us to the Premier (it's only a short distance away from the Coba lobby). From what I understand if you book your trip with Expedia you check in at the Premier. The front desk clerk at the Premier had wrist bands on us within in a couple of minutes. He gave us a map of the resort and a quick explanation of where things were. Very efficient check in. Of course we could not actually get our room key until 3:00 but we were expecting that. We went off to a nice lunch and a couple of hours at the beach while we were waiting to check in.

Room

The room was excellent. It had a large king sized bed, a nice flat screen television, a separate living area with a couch and table, a beautiful bathroom and a nice sized balcony with a view of the jungle. We were given a nice welcome basket of fruit, a bottle of champagne and bathrobes and slippers. The refrigerator was nicely stocked with soda, beer and snacks. The maid did leave towel art on a couple of days.

Beach

The beach is to die for. We had absolutely no problem whatsoever getting lounge chairs under a palapa. The are nice quiet sections of the beach (which we preferred) and sections where the entertainment staff is concentrated. Take your pick! The water is crystal clear and full of fish. I had a fantastic time snorkeling right off the beach. We loved strolling along the beach. It seems to go on forever! There were two beach bars right on the beach by the Coba and another a few steps away at the pool. You certainly won't go thirsty.

Grounds

The resort is very large. The trams run frequently. After a day or so you will start to find the best shortcuts to take to get from your room to the lobbies and restaurants. We loved strolling to dinner and the shows. They work very hard keeping everything immaculate.

Shows

We have seen plenty of shows in at various resorts in Mexico and the Dominican. I have to say these were at least as good as others I have seen.

We emailed the hotel two weeks before our trip with restaurant requests. We received a reply within hours. We highly recommend the Japanese show cooking (our favorite), the Brazilian and the Mexican. In the morning I always had my coffee at the La Casita snack bar. The buffet gets a little busy at times but has a wide variety of food. Sherri loved the pasta station where the woman made your sauce and pasta to order. I loved the omelet station in the morning. The desserts were among the best we have ever had in Mexico (the Rui hotels could learn a little bit from the Bahia Principe about how to make a sweet, flavorful dessert). One more thing; if you are a repeat guest you get an invitation to a private breakfast. Please do yourself a favor and go to it. We were treated like royalty and were lucky enough to win a bottle of Tequila.

Closing

I'm sure we will be guests at Bahia Principe hotels again soon.

Enjoy your trip!

Mike and Sherri

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mike and Sherri,

It is an honor for us that you had chosen Bahia Principe Rivera Maya Resort for your holidays here in the Mexican Caribbean, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your preference to our chain, it make us very happy to read that once again we have approach your expectations.

It was very nice of you share your experience and beautiful picture with the future travelers , we are looking forward to welcome you again here in your new home away from home.

Sending you our kindest regards,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels on the Riviera Maya

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Hotel is HUGE - 4 hotels (coba, premier, akumal, tulum) in one place. There is also A Hacienda with disco tech and a shopping market. Lots of pools, lots of restaurants, and beautiful beaches. There's also lots of wildlife that you could see while walking around the property. Overall appearance of the grounds, the hotel and the pools, etc. is 8.5/10.
Room: (we were in the golden premier)
As soon as we arrived we were We were taken to our room. We walked in and the smell of mold was so bad that we just walked right back out. The front lobby staff was very nice and they changed our room and the second room was much better. Junior suite with basic amenities: shower, Jacuzzi tub (which my son tried to use one day and yellow water and hair filled the tub from the uncleaned pipes) and a twin sofa bed with regular mattress that was comfortable for our son. They clean the room every day and stock fridge w/ one bag of chips and drinks. Never really used any of that except water. The air conditioning systems are very poor, never gets cool enough to feel comfortable. Only time it gets to that point is when you have fan on and sleeping at night. Room rating 7/10.
Pools:
Lots, lots, and lots. They are all very clean and beautiful. They do have activities at some of the main pools of each hotel, but, the activity staff are not trained well on how to get people involved. There are swim up bars and fun hang out places with music. They advertise That they have Jacuzzis but there are none that are heated. All jacuzzis are inside the pools with cold water and bubbles. no free standing ones with hot water. Pools rating 8/10 (would be 10/10 if hot jacuzzis were present)
Beach:
Very nice clear blue water protected from the waves by huge blocks of sand bags in the water. Shallow ( up to 3.5 ft in the protected swim area). Outside of that area there are lots of reefs, fish, good sealife for snorkeling. You can bring your own or rent it from activity desk at the beach. You do not need to get there before 9 am to get chairs at the beach. We usually arrived 11am-1pm and sat under an umbrella with 2-3 chairs 1st row on beach. Yes there are some people that get up in the am and go put there towels there to reserve seat and never return to them until the afternoon. there towels end up on the sand and their seats get used by other people anyway. The place is huge, do not worry, you'll always find a place by pool or beach somewhere on property. Activity center on beach for kayak, and hobby cat sailing, has a flag next to it (red - you can't take anything out, yellow- you can). For our 1st 4 days there the flag was red for no good reasons (there might b a storm coming (it was clear sky, no storm came), there is a head wind coming at the beach, some guys flipped there sail boat earlier in the day, etc. ). Seemed that they just did not want you to take out the free stuff. During all those red flag excuses, they still rented out jet skis, and parasailing. So, overall beach rating (8/10)
Restaurants: (none have a/c)
Buffets: there are large ones at each lobby. All pretty similar. Plenty of variety, however, no taste. Big disappointment. I know that food depends on your individual taste buds. But, mine is comparing to all other all inclusives that we have stayed at. Bland, bland, bland. Average at best. Rating 4-5/10.
Al la cart restaurants:
Tips: any of the al la cart expect dinner to be at least 2 hours, so if you want to see a show, plan accordingly.
This is the only all inclusive resort that we have been too that limits your visits to al la cart restaurants. And most of them are always booked, however, when you get there, they are always half empty.
Le gourmet (have To pay extra for lobster and steak $20 otherwise everything else is included) - okay to good food, service very, very, very slow - food 7/10
Mikado - Japanese style with show. Chef was talented with good show. Steak and shrimp ( not peeled with head on), chicken, fried rice, etc. - 8/10. Sushi 4/10
Pescador and Mediterraneo - both appear to share same kitchen, they have appetizer and desert buffet which is identical. By the name you would think you would be getting some great tasting seafood, etc, but it is the same average stuff found on the main buffets. Food 5/10.
Shows:
Nightly at 9:00 pm at akumal and tulum. 10 pm at coba. Shows change nightly. It's the same crew that does most of the shows. Some shows by that hotel crew were good 7/10 and some were terrible 4/10. Some other shows that are brought in like Michael Jackson and cirq appeared to be good popular shows, but, we were not able to see all of it because dinner at the al la cart took over 2 hours.
Mosquitos:
Out in force. We had to buy "Off" from vendors at the hotel for $12 for small bottle that you can get for $3-4 in US. So bring your own, you will need it. And yes it did help.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank honest_reviewFlorida
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor User,

Thank you very much for taking part of your time to share your detail review of your recent holidays here in the Grand Bahia Principe Coba, comments like yours are an important tool for improve the quality of our services, we would like to take this opportunity to apologize again for the unfortunate inconveniences during your arrival.

It is a delight to read that you were please with our facilities, pools, the wildlife around and services, please be sure that we have address all your suggestions and observations to the departments involve and the hotel direction, as we are always looking for excellency.

Please not that the color of the flag on the beach does not depend on the hotel but of civil protection agency of the municipality and is determined based on various factors such as wind, tidal and others. We will like to have the opportunity to welcome you again here in your new Mexican home.

Best Regards,

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed here for one week last month. This hotel is huge due to you have access to 2 other properties. They charge you for top shelf liquor and their standard liquor tasted watered down to me so I stuck to coke and ice tea all week. If you have the option to get a non-stop transfer to the hotel. I would get it.... It took use 2.5 hours to arrive to the hotel. The rooms are ok I've stayed in better. If you love animals, then the grounds are crawling with them. Food is ok the best place to eat is the Japanese. The Brazilian restaurant was anything but a true Brazilian, the food was ok and they kept bringing the same 2 items. We ended up leaving... If you love seafood then you would be in heaven.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RaheenP
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Raheen,

We appreciate that you take part of your valuable time to share the comments of your visit to Grand Bahia Principe Coba in May. The feedback of our guest is an excellent tool for our team, to improve and reinforce the services, we have already transmit your observations to the department involve we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a more enjoyable experience.

Best Regards,