Grand Bahia Principe Coba
$357
$233
$191
  • Breakfast included
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$149
$132
$308
$340
TripAdvisor
14,354 results
All reviewspremier lobbycozumel buffetle gourmeta la cartesfishgolden lobbysnack barplaya del carmenquiet poolakumal beachshow tablemichael jackson showmain buffetother resortsgreat resortdon pabloactivity pool
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have been to this All-Inclusive Resort twice, and must say it is a great value. It's about an hour trip from the Cancun airport. The grounds and staff are lovely and the rooms are very clean and comfy. The pools are beautiful, though the swim up bar can get a bit crowded.

In addition to Coba, you have access to the sister resorts, Akumal and Tulum. The beach is a short tram ride to the Akumal resort and is gorgeous; I especially enjoyed the little lagoon, which gives the feeling of seclusion.

My only gripe with this place is the food. Not that it's bad; just repetitive. If you're a wine person, you will be disappointed with both the red and white options offered with the all inclusive package. The other drinks are very good; I especially recommend the Sombrero.

I was especially impressed with the staff; from the host and hostess at check in, to the tram drivers, and even the gardeners, everyone goes above and beyond to make your stay a pleasant one. All in all, great vacation.

Room Tip: This is an eco-conscious hotel, so the A/C is set to turn off if the doors are open. My friend and I learned this the hard way, after suffering a terribly hot night after leaving the balcony door open a crack.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JEdge14
RRPPCOBA, Ejecutiva de Relaciones Publicas at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear JEdge14,

It is very kind of you to take part of your valuable time to share in tripadvisor your experiences here in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Riviera Maya.

Your comments are a very important motivation for the great family that composes the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba. We will enlighten to our personnel of your pleasure for their kindness services.

Kind Regards from your Mexican Home,

Reviewed May 16, 2013

The eco-resort Grand Bahia Principe is a great place to stay during your holidays. I chose coba for 2 weeks but I try the services at Akumal Premier and Akumal and all we very good.
I am very exigent with food and, as Portuguese, I am used with one of the best food in the world, the Portuguese. I have no complaint with food in the resort, nor in buffets, nor in restaurants. I only didn't like the food at the restaurant Seafood. The food was ordinary and the wine was warm. Mexican restaurant, and gourmet restaurants all were of an excepcional quality. Neverthless, usually the service takes to much time.
A desapointment was the absence of mexican music or litterature to be bought!
I must thank the services of Gustavo Martos, at Public Relations of Akumal, Deisy at Akumal Premier, Fernando at Akumal buffet and Manuel my house keeper!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
RRPPCOBA, Ejecutiva de Relaciones Publicas at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Isabel M,

Thank you for making us participants of your general impression. Your feed back is welcome and valued. Have no doubt that we will review each one of them and work to improve as much as we can.

With pleasure we will communicate your nice comments towards Gustavo, Daisy, Fernando and Manuel.

Expecting to have the opportunity to receive you again in one of our hotels to be able to offer you a more agreeable experience

Kind Regards,

Ejecutiva Relaciones Publicas RS

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We went November 2011 (my fiance at the time, now my husband) and had the best time. I am writing about this two years later because I'm still thinking about how great it was and how I'd like to go back some day.

The hotel rooms were huge, clean and beautiful. The beach being a bit of a walk was a concern at first, but it was not a problem at all in the end- there were plenty of shuttles taking you there quite often and the grounds were fabulous. I preferred the Coba to the Akumal and Tulum grounds hands down. The other hotels were ok but the Coba was the most impressive and new.

The buffet was GREAT and surpassed my expectations- I'd say even better than some of the a la carte. The entertainment was fun! Chico was so hilarious and thought he brought a great touch to the entertainment. The pool parties with the balloons inspired me and my husband to have balloons at our wedding one year later- was a hit at the wedding as well as at the pools.

Some things to keep in mind (but wouldn't keep me from coming back):

- the airport is pretty far. You will be the last one to get off the bus and if you get there late like we did, you will be in a huge line and wait a while to get checked in.

- although there is some funny entertainment, I'd like some more Chico and parties because it's nice to have a reason to stay up at night if you're a young couple.

Again, the above noted comments are just notes and would not prevent me from coming back. I'd go back in a heart beat!

Oh and a tip- take the taxi across the street to go to the ruins- it's much cheaper and you can do this yourself. We went to Tulum and it was a great little trip and we didn't have to stick with any tours or stay for longer than we wanted to.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jarzy93

Dear Jarzy93

We are grateful for your beautiful comments. Our aim is to be able to obtain the maximum satisfaction of all our clients. It makes us happy to see that we did it with you and you are still thinking of your stay here, in Gran Bahia principe Coba.

We hope to welcome you again soon and please be sure that we will transmit your best words to our entertainment team.

Yours faithfully

Executive Public Relations SN

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at Coba from May 7th - May 14th.

Drive from the airport: 1 hour 20 minutes.
Check in: no line up, very fast, but we asked several times about a mattress topper and never recieved one.
Room: We stayed in section 3 which was perfect. It was close to everything. Steps away from 2 pools and 2 snack bars...5 minute walk to the lobby and most restaurants, and about a 7 minute walk to the beach (which is the closest you can get at Coba). We walked most of the time, but the shuttles came constantly and would take you to the beach, restaurants, lobby, your room...etc, and you only had to wait a couple minutes for them. The most we waited was 2 minutes or so.
The room was very big and clean. The bed was a little hard, but we actually had no problem with it as it was still very comfy. The rooms can be a little dark, which isn't an issue, but I did bring a stand up make up mirror so that I could do my make up outside in the natural light. The bathroom was very big and beautiful. We loved the shower.
Food: We ate at the Mexican, Japanese, and Italian restaurants and really enjoyed them. The buffets were very good also. The buffets have kids sections with more kid friendly food like peanut butter sandwiches, chicken fingers, fries, burgers, pasta etc. and the icecream was always delicious!
Beach: We spent most of our time at the Coba beach, which is said to be the nicest. There were always lots of chairs, but it was hard to find areas with shade. People do get up early to reserve these chairs, and we didn't usually get to the beach until about 10. There are tons of fish everywhere of all different sizes and colors...so bring your goggles.
Pools: We had no issues finding chairs at the pools either. We spent most of our time at the quieter pools, but all of the pools were very nice. The small pools were really warm, and all of the pools had jacuzzi sections.
Service: I wasn't overly impressed with the service compared to other resorts I have been to. It was hard to get an answer out of anyone, and no one seemed overly interested in helping when you had a question. It wasn't a big issue though. Just remember, you're in a different country...don't expect everything to be like it is at home.
The Hacienda has a party every Thursday night that costs $15 to get into. There is an outdoors sports bar in the Hacienda that is a fun place to watch sports, but it is not all inclusive, and you have to order something if you want to sit there. Coronas were only $3 though so it wasn't a big deal.
There are tons of shops at the Hacienda and it is definitly worth checking out. The shuttle takes you to it from the lobby.
If you want to go to Playa Del Carmen, or any other places that are not part of an excursion, get the Collectivo...DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON CABS! The collectivo cost us $3 each to go to Playa, and a cab would have cost $35. You get the shuttle to the end of the resort (the Hacienda) and there are little bus stop type spots that you can wait at on the main road. The collectivos are just big white vans...not busses, so make sure you know what you are looking for, because when you see one coming, you have to wave at them so they know you want to be picked up. They come by quite frequently...every few minutes. You shouldn't have to wait more than 10 minutes. It was a very easy process and can save you a lot of money. You can even take the collectivo to the different parks/senotes/catamarans...etc and just pay for your admission once you get there. It is cheaper than booking an excursion that includes transportaiton, and you can also do things on your own schedule instead of having specific pick up and drop off times.
Overall we really enjoyed the resort and would love to return sometime with our 2 young children (one on the way). The resort is amazing for families with young children. There were sooo many kids there and they were all having a blast. Our only regret is that we did not bring out 2 year old. He would have loved the kids pool with all the fun slides, and all the yummy kid friendly food.
If you're looking for a fun family friendly clean resort, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: Sections 1 and 2 are close to everything.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Tanya A
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear Tanya,

We feel very honor that you and your husband choose Grand Bahia Principe Coba for the celebration of your anniversary. It is a delight to to know that you enjoyed our installations and services. We are very sure that your children will love our water park and the kids activities.

All comments and observations of our guest are an important to tool as we look for excellency every day, we will transmit your to all our crew members to work harder. Thank your very much for your feedback.

Congratulations on the new family member, we hope to welcome you and your children for an excellent family holidays.

Truly yours,

Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The resort is beautiful, big, clean and entertaining. They have something for everyone. I traveled with a party of 10 from 5 years old to 73 years old. Everyone had a great time. The only thing I did not like was the FOOD...don't get me wrong, they have plenty of food in all three buffets. It's just the same food everyday, and not so good. But on the other hand they have a 24 hour grill open everyday and specialty restaurants that you do need to make reservations for upon your arrival. We ate at the Pescador, it was good, the Mediterranean not so good. Overall, it's a beautiful place, with hard working and humble people. I suggest bring plenty of singles for tipping as they really work hard for it. I will return....

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Pinkee0127

Dear Pinkee0127

Thank you for making us participants of your general impression. Your comments help us to improve every day.

Have no doubt that we will review each one of them with the Food & Beverage manager and work to improve as much as we can.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back.

Sending you my kindest regards.