This was our second stay at GBP Coba. We were there Feb 14-21 2013. We have never stayed at an all inclusive twice before, but brought a couple with us and wanted to guarantee a good time, so we decided to re-visit Coba.
We flew with Westjet using Sunquest vacations out of Toronto.
Westjet crew were great, alot of fun. No issues at airport or customs at either end of our trip.
I had pre booked private transfer for the first time ever. Coba is a fair drive from the airport, and we didn't want to risk loosing a minute of our vacation making stops at other resorts along the way. Sometimes the provided bus transfer works out just fine, but for this trip, we didn't want to chance it.
I booked Canada comfort for $124 return for 4 of us. So a little $16 per person each way provided us with a driver meeting us at Cancun airport, nice cool lemon scented washcloths, the beverage of our choice (Corona) and a private ride in a new air conditioned van with our own friendly guide to the resort! Well worth the money in my opinion!
We arrived at the resort in about an hour. I had emailed Felix at the resort ahead of time with our room request, and our a la carte bookings. All of which were granted and arranged when we got there! Our a la carte reservation tickets were already printed and waiting with our room reservation.
We were assigned building 11 in coba. It was fine, I don't think you can really go wrong with any room. The resort is SO HUGE every room is close to something!
The room was comfortable and cleaned every day with a nice towel art to greet us daily. We left our maid a $5 tip per day for her great work. Our mini bar was stocked daily with beer and pop, and on a few days, chips and chocolate bars! No musty smell that was out of the ordinary and our air conditioning worked fine.
The meals were good, the buffet has an incredible amount of choices, however, I found i usually ate the same thing. We tried 4 a la cartes. Arlequin, Don Pablo, Mikado, and Grand Tortuga. We enjoyed them all, but Grand Tortuga the least. The reason for this was lack of staff. The few that were there worked very hard, but there was not enough staff to service the guests that were there.
We went off resort to Akumal beach by taxi to snorkel with the turtles AMAZING!! Hi light of the trip for me. Enjoyed a beer on the beach at the Lo-Ha restaurant. We also went to Playa del Carmen one afternoon/early evening to shop and see the beach. Again, well worth the trip. Very good shopping on 5th avenue, and the beach, with the ferries over to Cozumel are worth seeing. Very beautiful.
Back at the resort, we used the pools mainly, but did enjoy swimming and snorkeling in the ocean. Beautiful beach. Yes, the towel game is in full force. We saw people remove other peoples towels from their loungers if they weren't using them after about half an hour....this always led to a heated exchange!!! It's one thing to hold your lounger for a half an hour while you go eat...but all day and never use it...come on people..that's just rude!!! I don't think this will ever change though.
The Coba main pool was very lively with alot going on. The new kids waterpark seemed to be a hit with the children.
There is an occasional extended wait for golf cart transportation around the resort, the only time it was an inconvenience was when trying to make it to dinner reservations on time. Otherwise, we were never in a hurry to get anywhere, so it wasn't a problem. It helps once you figure out which carts go where. The drivers are very friendly and will help you out if you are polite.
The staff were all incredibly friendly and helpful.
The only reason i didnt give 5 stars, is because of the lack of staff. The ones that are there are amazing!....there just aren't enough of them at times. And that is not the staff's fault. They all were going over and above in their service. Management just needs to hire more staff to make it a 5 star. Especially the bars and the Grand Tortuga restaurant.
I believe the Coba offers incredible value for your vacation buck. There is so much to do on the resort, as well as so much nearby off the resort. You are further from the airport, but closer to many of the attractions that the Mayan has to offer! Many of these attractions become self serve. You don't need to spend the extra money buying an "excursion" since everything is so close and easy to get to from the GBP location.
Although the resort is massive, they have laid it out very well and I never felt "crowded". It offers so much exploring of the resort over your vacation if that is what you want to do. Or you can find your favourite spot and just stay there. The resort can be as big or as small as you want it to be!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP USA TRAVEL INC, Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico