“you get it all here!!”

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed February 18, 2013

we have been to coba twice in two years and plan to return many times more! this is a beautiful very large hotel complex, however it is very easy to get around with the shuttle service provided to the other areas of the resort which you are allowed to enjoy with no special upgrades. i cant say enough great things about the staff, cleanlieness, service and food! the pools are large and offer enough for family, couples, or single travelers. we do not have children however speaking with others on the resort , they praised the childrens club. the grounds are pristine, the food at the ala-carts were exellant, we realy enjoyed the asian as you can book a SHOW dinner where they cook in front of you! the beach is vast but the chairs do go quick, but at the pool we always found chairs. the shows were very proffesional, a different theam every night. cab ride into playa was 20.us. or take the Collectivo at the highway, very safe and only 1.50. you must go to the town center ( hacienda ) located within the resort for there thursday night mexican show...awsome, there is a small charge but well worth it....food drinks, great music!! as with most resorts now , there are time share people who trick you into a tour....whatch out for them in every lobby near the buffet! they will ask if you recieved your "special gift". this was our only complaint. there is a dolfin pool that you can swim with the dolfins (at a cost) but just looking was fun enough for us...free shows every day...located at tulum on the ocean. get yourself aquainted with ALL of the resort as soon as you can, so as not to miss anything. every hotel hosts different shows and music in there bars every night! the buffets have a wide variety of food....again...each hotel has different food choices, we enjoyed akumal buffet the best. have a great trip, go for ten days if you can, we went for a week and it was too short for such a great resort! i would not spend extra on upgrade to royal/golden club...you get enough without the extra money paid. viva Mexico! feel free to ask any other questions. thanks for reading!

Room Tip: a great central area close to pool and lobby central to everything is building 31. the best room wou...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paul V
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Paul V,

Thank you very much for sharing your nice comments and beautiful comments, your preferences make us proud of our team work. We will share all your observations to all the departments involve they will be happy that we fulfill your expectations.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you a 3Th time here again in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba.

Best Regards from Riviera Maya,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Having stayed at Sandals Resorts, our expectations for the Grand Bahia Principe were not set very high. What Grand Bahia lacks in quality of room furnishings it more than makes up in the friendliness of staff. The grounds, pools, beaches, restaurants and rooms were immaculate. Although we tipped heavily, others who didn't were treated with the same gracious smile and thanks.
The golf course is both beautiful and challenging. Be sure to dine on that side after or before playing. The quality of food at Sian Ka'an is just a little better and adults only. They pour their wine from the bottle on that side which is much nicer than the watered down jug wine served at the other buffets.
Although some reviewers complained about the distance to the beach, we enjoyed our walks. We walked the beautiful shoreline and grounds many times. If you are able, walks open the possibility of seeing so much more than sitting on a shuttle bus. It also helps in shedding those extra calories consumed during the stay:) And for those who choose not to walk or are unable to walk the 5 or 10 minutes to the beach, there were shuttles constantly passing by.
I would highly recommend this property. It is not the Ritz Carlton but the staff make you feel as if you are in the nicest resort money can buy!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor in building 24B. It was very quiet. You must climb the stairs if not st...
4  Thank VirginiaBoater

Dear VirginiaBoater,

First of all thank for have been chose Grand Bahia Principe Coba as your destination for your holidays and taking the time to write your impressions. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and service in our Resort.

We are delighted that you have spent your vacation with us and that you enjoyed your visit at our facility. again. Furthermore I would like to express my appreciation for your Room observations and will discuss them with our Management Board soon. Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our stay at Bahia was 1 star to say the least. I will first say that the staff was amazing and thank you for that. To begin…check in is confusing…better signs and instructions are needed for guests that are arriving. Upon arrival, we were definitely disappointed in our “5 star” room that was in need of plush towels/beach towels, a lock to the safe (ridiculous and could be rented for a daily charge). Room was sub par. Shower was leaking thru the floor and bed was hard as a rock.

First night at dinner was a disaster. Don’t put stock in the “all inclusive”. Dinner is a disaster buffet with disgusting food that I wouldn’t even eat if I was starving (being vegetarian…good luck). Drinks are a joke. We actually said that the wine was not really wine because it didn’t smell or taste like it. Go for the flavored tequila…no alcohol…promise. Not that we were looking to get buzzed…but they are definitely running a racket with watered down drinks.

Resort….totally crowded with carts running down the road constantly that you have to avoid. It is honestly like being in Disneyland. It is like being on a cruise…gross food and tons of people. The beach is overcrowded and good luck on getting a spot on the beach. We will NEVER go back and we have traveled around the world and experienced many different levels of accommodations. FIVE star is a JOKE for this place.

10  Thank Ashley L
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Ashley L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments about your stay at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba . It will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are very concerned to learn about your disappointing experience and are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations. Please be assured that we have addressed your comments to every manager in order to take measures as we always strive for excellence in service.

Furthermore I would like to express my appreciation for your concerns, expecting to have the opportunity to receive you again in one of the hotels in our chain to be able to offer you a more agreeable experience.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The best hotel i have ever been lucky enough to stay in.Staff where fantastic and service the food was second to none.The beach oh my superb all in all not one moan fab hotel.i also loved the swimmimg pools so clean and the areas around the pools where well staffed.I would definitly return there and i am doing this year2013 with freinds.The acomadation was of the highest standards and the fridge was kept well stocked i also loved the people as they did not beg for tips as they did in cuba.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Lorraine T

Dear Lorraine T,

It is a delight to read your excellent opinions about your stay last September here in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba.
Your comments about the performs of our services do that our work is worth it. Our aim is to be able to obtain the maximum satisfaction of all our clients. It makes us happy to see that with you we did it .

It will be a pleasure to welcome you and your friends soon here in the Mexican Caribbean.

Sending you my kindest regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were there Feb 8-15 on recommendation of 4 close friends, all of which we met at the resort, and they had all be there before. Both couples said this time was a huge let down. I've been to Mexico before, stayed in a multitude of hotels, hostels, and B&B's all over Mexico and I have to say this was pretty average. The grounds were really nice, the beach was nice too, the bar, entertainment and cleaning staff were all great, super nice and very friendly. There were two deal breakers for me: one was the food. I've been to Mexico on extended trips and realize that lots of people get sick..surprise surprise, I got sick on the day before we left. We went to the Japanese a la carte restaurant where we ordered the Seafood and Filet Mignon for dinner which consisted prawns (head-on) and mussels. Being from the west coast of BC, I've always ever seen mussels been served in their full shells. Well at the resort they cut the shells open and cook them infront of you, so you cant actually tell if they are ok to eat or not. Now I realize this is my own fault for actually eating it but I still got really sick, its been two days since I've been home and 4 days since I got sick and I still don't feel great. Now this is the second deal breaker: When my fiance went to the front desk to alert them that I had food poisoning, the staff at the front desk argued with him that you only get food poisoning after 3 days of actually consuming the food. He wasn't trying to get anything out of them, he just wanted to let them know that I was really sick. My fiance actually told them to google food poisoning and read him what it said because they were being so argumentative. Needless to say: deal breaker. It was a nice place, the rooms smelled a little musty but other than that it was generally nice, but there are lots of resorts that are generally nice....def not a 4-5 star....probably won't go back, totally won't recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms are a little musty anywhere you go. We didnt have a problem but the friends we were with had m...
3  Thank tdg1001984

Dear tdg1001984,

First of all I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel resort. It will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

I would like to share with you that the resort's water and food buffets , snacks and a la Carte restaurants are consumed by a large number of people, if any of these were contaminated, would undoubtedly several guests sick in a short period of time.

To avoid such incidents, in the Hotel we extreme caution in the management of food hygiene and safety. Staff are trained regularly for food and beverage and routine checks are carried out of the water quality (first of all it is important to mention that all the water is purified by reverse osmosis, plus they take control of chlorine daily sampling for microbiological analysis ) and as for the sanitary control of food (take temperatures of all processes described as HACCP systems, refrigeration, freezing, thawing, cooking, food display at buffets, etc), also weekly inspections are conducted by the department of Quality and monthly inspections by an external company (check Safety First). Furthermore I would like to express my appreciation for your concerns and will discuss them with our Management Board.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity in a near future.

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We travelled in January 2013 with our 2 children (aged 9 and 7). We have stayed at this property before, this time choosing the Coba. Knowing all sections of the hotel, this is the one we will return to - and are about to book our July vacation back to the Coba.

All the fantastic reviews you read are true. I will not repeat them, but add some highlights of our trip for those not sure where to book:

* Rooms are spacious. We chose a king room, and asked for a cot, so the kids could sleep on the day bed and cot, and we had a king bed. This made a huge difference in our quality of sleep, and we slept very well, and found the bed to be very comfortable.

* We emailed Luis and Felix (Public Relations Manager) prior to arriving, and all our requests were met. They are both fantastic ambassadors of the hotel, and go out of their way to make your stay fantastic. Felix is seen everywhere around the property, chatting with guests, many of whom, are frequent visitors to the hotel. He is so approachable and fantastic at what he does. I was trying to access the internet, and was having troubles, so he lent me his ipad to try and get online to send an email to family back home. Once again, above and beyond.

* The food is fantastic, and we are picky foodies. We found the Coba buffet to be the best, and offered the widest selection. Likely as it is the least visited due to its location. The Mexican corner is excellent, and the ladies that work there are fantastic. I speak Spanish and we had some great chats about the homemade Mexican food, and even went so far as to set aside some tortilla chips when a fresh batch came out, to ensure they would not run out when I returned. The selection of traditional Mexican food was fantastic.

* A La Cartes. Our favourite was actually the Italian, and we went there twice. The beef carpaccio was amazing, and enjoyed chatting with the chef that made it. The fettucine Alfredo was phenonemol, something I never thought would be so great in Mexico. the Japanese was excellent and I have been to at least 5 others at different hotels, and this was the best quality meat by far.

* The beach. Yes, it's not great, but they make the best with what they have. I love that it is shallow for the kids, and there are always fish swimming around you. We took a day trip (taxi back and forth) to Tulum, and hung out at the Playa Azul hotel for the day, which I highly recommend. Pristine beach, great food and drinks. As long as you spend $20 there, you can use the lounge chairs, umbrellas, showers, etc at no cost. We will return there again for sure. A lovely hotel.

* Coba small lobby bar. This was the undiscovered gem from our previous visits. There is live music most nights, and it is small and intimate. As a family we went there every night before and after dinner, playing cards, etc. Noemi (Naomi?) was our server basically the whole week, and remembered us each day, and was just so lovely.

* My son became ill one evening after midnight, and we called housekeeping, and withn 15 minutes they were at our door with fresh sheets, and helped us make the bed again. In such a large hotel at such a late hour, I found this to be outstanding service.

* The drinks are great and they do offer great brands. I went to the BP Jamaica this past November and you cannot even compare the 2. Jamaica offered inferior food, drinks, and service.

The only annoying part of the trip is the shuttle service. Sometimes you wait so long, only to get on the right train, which ends up taking so long, and even circling back where you started until you reach your spot. We only used it to access the a la carte restaurants at Tulum and Akumal section. We tried to avoid it if possible. The priviledge club golf carts really should take families when they have been waiting so long, and the kids are half asleep. It would actually promote what they are trying to sell.

Make sure you tip lots, as everyone works hard and they deserve it. Yes, they will remember you and your drinks, but wouldn't you? I find it a small part of my spending money to budget for the entire trip, to appreciate those who offer great service..

Yes, I will be back - in July - bringing family along - and consider this my hotel home away from home.

All the staff are amazing, and for such a massive property, they run an amazing hotel.

Warm regards,
The Franc Family, Toronto, Canada

Room Tip: We were in the Golden Section. It's great to be so close to the small lobby bar, and the Akumal...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank beachfamily627

Dear Beachfamily627,

First of all thank you for trusting and choosing Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba to your holidays, we are content that you and your family enjoyed your stay.

One of the most important objective for our Resort is fulfill the expectations of our guest, it make us proud of our Team work, that we you we meet the goal. We will forward your lovely specials mentions to Felix, Luis, Noemi and Housekeeping department, they will make them proud of their excellent work.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you and your family back here at your new Mexican home next July,

Sending you my kindest regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My Wife and I visited GBP Coba for the 5th time Jan. 19 - Feb. 2nd 2013. The reason we keep returning to GBP Coba is the excellent facilities, food, and most of all the great service. Again we emailed Felix and he took care of our room and A LA Cart requests. While the stay at one play at three resorts (also GBP Tulum & Akumal) together they have almost 3000 rooms the resort never seems crowded. We like large resorts because they have something for every taste. The rooms are large comfortable, well-maintained Junior Suites and our housekeeper Edilberta kept our room spotless while leaving us a different towel art figure every day. The resort grounds are always impeccable.

Each year we run into Paulino, who has served us at several different Coba's bars over the years. He was bartender at the Jacuzzi La Iguana Bar this year. Paulino is the one staff person who always recognizes us and greets us with a welcoming smile and a heart felt "hello it is so good to see you again". Paulino is an excellent bartender who makes every customer feel like a special friend. Paulino's bar would close at 5 and while it would get quite busy with people returning from the beach looking for before dinner drinks. Paulino would provide excellent service to everyone, never expecting a tip, while always pleasant even as he was trying to close the bar. While there are many excellent staff at Coba, I thought Paulino’s customer service deserved special mention because he is one of those employees who makes you feel special and want to come back.

After dinner we would often enjoy drinks and dancing to the live music at the Premier lounge where our waitress Martha would ensure we always had drinks and provided us with great table service.
This year we enjoyed excursions to the Coba Ruins, Labnaha Cenote and Akumal Bay. We did the excursions on our own which saved us a lot of money and allowed us to go at our own pace. We shared the cost of a taxi with people we met at the resort, which made it very reasonable. When going to Coba Ruins and a Cenote which I can't remember the name, we rented a taxi for the day. The day before I went to the Coba entrance by the highway and was offered a taxi for the day for $1000 Pesos. This was very convenient as we could leave our belongings in the taxi and he also offered to bring a cooler with ice for our drinks and spoke good English. Diego the cab driver offered me a price that was 200-300 pesos less than when I enquired a few days before. Diego’s phone # is 984-105-7029 , I think you use +521 then the # when calling from Canada or email diegosuriano@hotmail.com if you want to hire him.
I would also encourage people to take Peso's not US dollars because there is a large exchange premium. For example Diego said 1000 pesos for the taxi which converts to approx $79.00US and when I said how much in US dollars he said $100.00 and then came down to $90.00 so there is a 10 to 20% premium for using US dollars.

If you like excellent snorkeling with large turtles, stingrays and fish go to Akumal Bay (beach) its just 5km toward Playa Del Carmen from the resort. Take the collectivo for $3.00 each or if you are taking a cab don't order it at the lobby because it will cost $14.00 but if you walk out toward the hwy by the Hacienda the taxi drivers will appear and ask if you want a taxi, just say no you are going to catch the Collectivo and they will ask where you are going. Tell them Akumal Bay and they will offer you a taxi for $10.00 for up to four people (the reason it’s cheaper is the taxi ride is only 5 minutes and when they return they maintain their place in the line.) When you arrive at Akumal Bay it is a very safe Public Beach with palm trees for shade, shops and places to eat. You can use the washroom at the dive shop and leave a tip in the jar for the cleaner. No need to purchase a tour just look out in the water and you can see where different groups of snorkelers gather; they are looking at turtles and stingrays. The turtles like to eat the grass on the ocean floor. You have to swim out about 200 to 300 feet to see the turtles. The water is never rough as the waves break on the reef at the mouth of the Bay. You can rent snorkel gear and lifejackets at the Dive shop or at a kiosk on the beach for around $15.00 for the day. I believe you can rent lockers in the Dive shop however, most people just left their stuff on their towel and went snorkeling and didn’t have a problem. The best way is to hook up with someone you meet at the resort and take turns watching each other’s gear and share the cab ride.
During past trips we have taken the Collectivo into Playa Del Carmen and Tulum Ruins, it is very safe and inexpensive transportation at $3.00/person each way. They run constantly and I mean every few minutes, just stand by the side of the highway and they will stop and pick you up, tell the driver where you are going and he will make sure you stop in the right place. Note when going to the Tulum Ruins make sure you say Tulum Ruins, I said Tulum and they dropped us off at the town of Tulum and we had to double back.
If you don't have a great time at Coba I believe you must be a very hard person to please.
Enjoy
Norm

Room Tip: We enjoy 2nd or 3rd floor rooms because the balcony provides more privacy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Norm K
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Norm K,

Your preference and loyalty make us proud of our team work, we are very happy to read that ones again you enjoyed the Riviera Maya and our facilities.

We are pleased that you delight the kindness and excellent service of all our crew, we will share with everyone your nice words, but especially Felix, Edilberta, Paulino and Martha. Thank you again for your lovely words, we are looking forward to welcome you again here to visit to your Mexican family here in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba.

Yours faithfully,