“Great vacation! Will certainly go back!”

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
ottawa
“Great vacation! Will certainly go back!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We went to Grand Bahia Principe end of January, beginning of February 2013 and we had a great vacation. (see end of experience for some tips)

Lets start by what was great since that’s what counts the little complaints I have are minor and I wouldn’t hold it against them at all! I would certainly go back and I have already recommended this hotel to 3 couples (2 that have young children) for their next vacation and they are all looking into it!

The arrival/check-in was in the middle of the afternoon and usually that means a whole lot of patience, but not here, the process was smooth and quick! After that we went directly to book our 3 à la carte meals. I loved the fact that they were open from morning to 11 p.m. So there was never a big line up when you wanted to go book, change or consult the menus!

This resort is family and adult friendly; there is something for everyone to do. From visits from the superheroes, the dolphin show and to not deep pool, kids of all ages seemed to be having a blast! For the adults, there is great entertainment all day and in the evenings! The fact that they offered zumba now was so much fun for me  The animation team are AMAZING! They are always smiling and have so much energy! This was my 5th vacation down south and from far, this was the best animation team, I have met! They also give out a lot of t-shirts and bottles of tequila if you participate in the activities! And the pool party was soooo much fun!!! And if you want to relax more, there are quiets pools that you can just relax away from all the excitement!

The food was also very good! The buffets are a bit repetitive, but that is all resorts. But there is something for everyone from difficult eaters to people who loves to try new things! There is also a lower buffet for kids to be able to serve themselves!!! The à la carte restaurants are also great, the best one is the Japanese one! The staff at the buffet and at the à la carte are just so nice that you just don’t have a choice to leave them a tip! The drinks were also amazing. Our coup de foudre were the mango daiquiri, and for after supper either mudslides or Spanish coffee!

The little trains that bring you from one place to the other are great! We love to walk, but this resort is a bit big at times and we were very thankful to have them. There are so many that you really don’t wait long for them!

The hotel grounds were very well looked after. The staff works very hard to keep everything clean, from the pool to the ashtrays! I was very impress! The rooms were also very clean and the maid always made the bed and left us enough clean towels, toilet paper, etc. We never had to call for anything.

For internet use, they have wireless in the lobby so you can bring you smart phone, tablet or laptop and you have nothing to pay, which is great! For those who don’t want to bring your own device, you can rent out a laptop for 5$ a half an hour at the reception. The connection is pretty fast!

The hotel really cares about your stay and we had 2 people came up to us to ask our opinion on the hotel and ask if we needed anything or if they can do anything. We were also able to fill in an appreciation card. You can see that the staff really wants to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

There were a few things that were less great but still very acceptable. The hotel is about 1.5-2 hours bus ride from the airport which made it for long days of travelling, but the location is great once you arrived. You aren’t too far from Playa del Carmen and lots of activities.

The rooms were the typical down south rooms, nothing special, but always clean. We had requested a king size bed and not a floor level. We got the king size bed , but we were on the ground level, which, I actually didn’t mind since that had a rubber thing on the bottom of the door to stop any crawlers from getting in, which is why I always request a non-level floor bedroom.

At the buffet, I found it hard to sometime find a place to sit. You kinda wonder around until you find a place or that a waiter cleans up a table for you. It was the first time ever I experience this. It would be nice that the hostess in front sits you down like in my past vacations, but the waiters were usually very quick to help you out!

The day we left, the bus was picking us up at 6:40 a.m. I was hoping they would have laid out some fruit and some little treats for us but they didn’t and the buffet was not open before we left. They did have warm coffee, though! So if you have an early pick up, stock up the night before cause you have a long ride before the airport!

One of my favourite things at the resort was there soft chocolate ice cream, which I only got to enjoy for 2 days. I was definitely disappointed, but nothing to make you run from the resort!

These are alllll very MINOR COMPLAINTS, but just wanted to share. Apart from that, our trip was AMAZING.

Here are a few tips as promised!

Once you’ve check in, go directly book your 3 à la carte restaurants!

If you leave a dollar or two in the mini fridge, you will get chips and chocolate bars 

The chips/chocolate bars in the hotel and at the airport are ridiculous prices (like 6 to 10$), so if you go in town stock up if you want some!

If you have an early flight, stock up on some snacks the night before.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sam9696
RRPPCOBA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Sam9696,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us the experience of your vacacion.

Our main aim here in Grand Bahía Princípe Coba is to provide to all our guests the best vacacion possible. This is why we are very happy to read that we did it with you.
All the coments and suggestions that you made con help us as well to improve our services for the future and always stay aware of the guests needs.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and to all who recommend to come here in mexico.

Regards from your caribean house,

Ilse Saldaña,
Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,647)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Would I go back? Absolutely. The grounds are spectacular, the staff is friendly, the pools and beach are beautiful. More importantly, the food was amazing. Because this resort is connected with 3 other resorts, you get to choose between all of the resorts' food. That means multiple buffets, and tons of restaurants.

*Make sure you book the Japanese restaurant before you get there, it fills up fast, as it's one of the best restaurants you will ever go to. I promise that ;)
The Italian, Mexican and gourmet ones are the others I would recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Shawn_Hiron
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Shawn_Hirah,

Thank you very much for taking part of your time to share with us your experience here in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba last April.

The opinions and comments of all our guest are important for us, we are really content to read that you enjoy you time here, we will communicate your nice words to all our staff members. It will be an honor to welcome you back here soon,

Kind Regards from the Mexican Caribbean,

Wommelgem, Antwerpen, Belgium
Reviewed February 5, 2013

It was our first time in Mexico. Lovely holiday in the sun and a nice experience in the hotel
Grand Bahia Coba is a great hotel: very clean in the hotel and the room, friendly staff and very good animation at the main pool!

We had a super holiday and would thank all the staff.
Maybe we come back next year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaisyDedecker
Dear DaisyDedecker,

First of all we really appreciate that you decide to visit the Gran Bahia Principe Coba for your very first trip to the Mexican Caribbean. It is a pleasure to read that you join your time here in the Riviera Maya.

We hope to welcome you again soon and please be sure that we will transmit your satisfaction to our animation team and all our staff members.

Sending you my kindest regards,

Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

A wonderful holiday location with three separate resorts - Coba, Akumal and Tulum - each one beautifully kept and very clean, as were the beaches and pools.
There is transport throughout the group to get you around if you don't want to walk and you can chose to eat at any of buffets or A la Carte restaurants (bookings required). Oh, if you decide to eat Italian chose something other than the Tiramisu – although delicious there is just not enough!
The main buffet restaurants (Kukulcan, Riviera and Yucatan) were huge, extremely busy, and food could have been warmer at some of them. We preferred the smaller Cozumel restaurant where we were always greeted with a smile and a friendly word from the staff. Jose and Miguel in particular at this restaurant must be singled out as no matter how busy they were they always looked after us, attempted to teach us Mayan on a daily basis (which we did enjoy), and made sure our coffee was lovely and hot.
Adjoining the Cozumel is the Daiquiri Bar where you could taste all the different flavours of Tequila or just relax and enjoy a cocktail or two.
We would certainly come back .. all we need is a direct flight from Scotland!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Alison S
Dear Alison S,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We are truly happy to reed that you plenty enjoyed your stay in Grand Bahía Pincipe Coba and that you had a great time. As well, we will share your comments about our restaurants and bars to all our staff, and more specificaly with Jose and Miguel.

We are looking forward to come back you again.

Best regards from your mexican house,

Alliance, Ohio
Reviewed February 4, 2013

nice resort large need a map didnt get one. room nice no ocean view roooms. walk or shuttle to beach lots of walking buffets good ala carte restaurant waste of time service slow and you have 2 pick dining time so if you wanna take time from the beach make it 5ish if not late 8 or 9 too late for me to eat. everyting pretty much shuts down at 11 30 THIS IS NOT A 24 HR INCLUSIVE 11/2 HR RIDE FROM AIRPORT. did a apple squarre deal i think ill spend the extra to stay closer to airport return on monday flight leaving at 4 20 left resort 1140 wasted day there might want to fly in nite b 4 if you only wanna do like a thur - mon. that way your there all of wed . no restaurant on beach want lunch gotta go to lobby more wasted time from beach. there are no elevators Resort was nice no bad experiances .need a wk if you stay here one day just to figure out where your at. Probably wont be returning no spcial reason just location and size of resort

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sandys1058
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Sandays1058,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments and observations, for the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba all the opinions of our guest are very important. We will forward your comments to all our departments, to reinforce the service were we need to.

We expect to have the opportunity to welcome you again in of the hotels of our chain for a more charming experience.

Sending you our kindness regards,

Osoyoos, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I love, love, love the Grand Bahia Coba. The Staff is exceptional, the grounds are immaculate and the food is awesome! I have been there 7 times and it gets better every time I go. The staff treat me like family and always give me a warm welcome when I arrive. I haven't figured out how they remember what I drink though, with the thousands of people that go there, it amazes me. The Entertainment Team is great thanks to Sergio, Gabby, Sofia and the gang, they do something different every night. I belong to the Privilege Club which has been wonderful. The Privilege Club staff go above and beyond to help with anything you need ( thank you Lydia, Martina, Ana, Javier and all the drivers). I would recommend a holiday here to anyone its AWESOME!!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are subject to visits from various critters.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LyndaLyng
PrivilegeClub, Gerente at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear lyndaLyng,

On behalf of Bahia Principe Privilege Club, we are so thrilled that The Privilege Club staff was able to assist you in order to have a special Vacation at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service to our members and are always willing to assist our guests' needs. We wanted to take the time out to thank you for writing such a wonderful post about your experience at our resort and the Privilege Club Staff. We hope to have you back soon to continue enjoying the privileges of being a member. Should you have any additional questions regarding the Privilege Club membership, please feel free to email us at customerservice@bppclub.com

Kind regards,
Adriana Toledo
Customer Service Manager
Bahia Principe Privilege Club
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

It was my first time going to an all inclusive resort in Mexico. i didn't know what to expect. I went into the trip with an open mind.

FOOD
The food was decent. Lots of variety. Each day was a different theme (Ex. France, Spain). I was disappointed with the nacho chips. It was hit and miss each day. Most days the nacho chips would be stale. The best buffet was the one in Tulum. The food was fresh, lots of seating even through peak hours. Try to avoid the Coba buffet as it gets super busy and its hard to find a clean table.

SERVICE
The service at the buffets were okay, minus the Coba buffet. We would have servers walk right past us without asking if we needed anything. There were a few times we ordered drinks at the buffet and never received it.

ROOMS
The rooms were spacious and clean minus our pillows. Our pillows smelt like old sweat. About 2 1/2-3 weeks after we returned to Canada, I developed a fungal infection on my face. I am not 100% sure the infection came from the pillows but I have never had anything like it before. The bed was a bit hard but still comfortable. The service wasn't the greatest. We would tip the housekeeper each day and would be dissapointed to find our fridge empty.

POOLS & ACTIVITES
The pools and activities were great. You can't get bored at this resort. There are tons of games/competitions. Swim up bar bartenders were very friendly.

BEACH
The beach was nice in the Tulum area. This was our favorite spot.. By the Akumal area, the beach got pretty busy. There was no chance of getting a spot to relax.

WEATHER
Of course weather is out of our control, however I don't recommend staying in the Mayan in June. We did not know it was the beginning of hurricane season (we should have done more research). We got dumped with rain 2.5 days out of our trip. We only had one really nice day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leeza9
Dear Lisa M,

On the fist side we would like to thank you for your comment and we hope that you are well. On the other side we would like to informe you that our main aim is be focus on the satisfacion and security of all our guests. This is why we want to point of the part of our Sanitations and Hygienes mesures.

All our guests at their arrival get a room with whites completely cleaned and desinfected and changed during their stay. On the process on washing and drying the towels, it is used ozone and the temperatures are more than 90°C. In the case of the sheets and pillowcases, we all iron them between temperatures from 120 to 160°C; temperatures enought for garantee the death of pathogens.

On the other side we have a preventive program for aspirate mattresses and renovation or change of the pillows. With the object to rid of the mites and fungal spores to avoir risks of spread of infection to our guests.

However we will take into account your comment following up and reinforcing the supervision of this kinds of programs.

Best regards,

Public Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!