We went to Grand Bahia Principe end of January, beginning of February 2013 and we had a great vacation. (see end of experience for some tips)
Lets start by what was great since that’s what counts the little complaints I have are minor and I wouldn’t hold it against them at all! I would certainly go back and I have already recommended this hotel to 3 couples (2 that have young children) for their next vacation and they are all looking into it!
The arrival/check-in was in the middle of the afternoon and usually that means a whole lot of patience, but not here, the process was smooth and quick! After that we went directly to book our 3 à la carte meals. I loved the fact that they were open from morning to 11 p.m. So there was never a big line up when you wanted to go book, change or consult the menus!
This resort is family and adult friendly; there is something for everyone to do. From visits from the superheroes, the dolphin show and to not deep pool, kids of all ages seemed to be having a blast! For the adults, there is great entertainment all day and in the evenings! The fact that they offered zumba now was so much fun for me The animation team are AMAZING! They are always smiling and have so much energy! This was my 5th vacation down south and from far, this was the best animation team, I have met! They also give out a lot of t-shirts and bottles of tequila if you participate in the activities! And the pool party was soooo much fun!!! And if you want to relax more, there are quiets pools that you can just relax away from all the excitement!
The food was also very good! The buffets are a bit repetitive, but that is all resorts. But there is something for everyone from difficult eaters to people who loves to try new things! There is also a lower buffet for kids to be able to serve themselves!!! The à la carte restaurants are also great, the best one is the Japanese one! The staff at the buffet and at the à la carte are just so nice that you just don’t have a choice to leave them a tip! The drinks were also amazing. Our coup de foudre were the mango daiquiri, and for after supper either mudslides or Spanish coffee!
The little trains that bring you from one place to the other are great! We love to walk, but this resort is a bit big at times and we were very thankful to have them. There are so many that you really don’t wait long for them!
The hotel grounds were very well looked after. The staff works very hard to keep everything clean, from the pool to the ashtrays! I was very impress! The rooms were also very clean and the maid always made the bed and left us enough clean towels, toilet paper, etc. We never had to call for anything.
For internet use, they have wireless in the lobby so you can bring you smart phone, tablet or laptop and you have nothing to pay, which is great! For those who don’t want to bring your own device, you can rent out a laptop for 5$ a half an hour at the reception. The connection is pretty fast!
The hotel really cares about your stay and we had 2 people came up to us to ask our opinion on the hotel and ask if we needed anything or if they can do anything. We were also able to fill in an appreciation card. You can see that the staff really wants to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
There were a few things that were less great but still very acceptable. The hotel is about 1.5-2 hours bus ride from the airport which made it for long days of travelling, but the location is great once you arrived. You aren’t too far from Playa del Carmen and lots of activities.
The rooms were the typical down south rooms, nothing special, but always clean. We had requested a king size bed and not a floor level. We got the king size bed , but we were on the ground level, which, I actually didn’t mind since that had a rubber thing on the bottom of the door to stop any crawlers from getting in, which is why I always request a non-level floor bedroom.
At the buffet, I found it hard to sometime find a place to sit. You kinda wonder around until you find a place or that a waiter cleans up a table for you. It was the first time ever I experience this. It would be nice that the hostess in front sits you down like in my past vacations, but the waiters were usually very quick to help you out!
The day we left, the bus was picking us up at 6:40 a.m. I was hoping they would have laid out some fruit and some little treats for us but they didn’t and the buffet was not open before we left. They did have warm coffee, though! So if you have an early pick up, stock up the night before cause you have a long ride before the airport!
One of my favourite things at the resort was there soft chocolate ice cream, which I only got to enjoy for 2 days. I was definitely disappointed, but nothing to make you run from the resort!
These are alllll very MINOR COMPLAINTS, but just wanted to share. Apart from that, our trip was AMAZING.
Here are a few tips as promised!
Once you’ve check in, go directly book your 3 à la carte restaurants!
If you leave a dollar or two in the mini fridge, you will get chips and chocolate bars
The chips/chocolate bars in the hotel and at the airport are ridiculous prices (like 6 to 10$), so if you go in town stock up if you want some!
If you have an early flight, stock up on some snacks the night before.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, BP USA TRAVEL INC, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico