We booked our trip for September 22 - 29 2012, myself and my best friend (two females). I have been to Mexico once before with her and we had a fantasic time (we stayed in Cozumel at the Iberostar, FANTASTIC RESORT!), this time I had a few tiny bones to pick, but overall a great trip!!
When we arrived, it was cloudy in Cancun and some light rain showers, but it was to be expected as we took the chance in booking during the beginning of the hurricane season. After being pestered at the airport by the LARGE number of people offering transportation (DO NOT FALL FOR THIS), we finally were ushered over by our transportation group, Best Day Travel. These guys are fantastic and VERY organized, kudos!! Nice air conditioned van ride to the resort, dropped off only two other groups (2 and 4 people each) at different resorts before making it to our own, so not too bad. Be prepared for the long ride from the airport, but straight highway.
Upon check-in, resort staff was courteous and friendly, more than helpful. I had made a few room requests prior to arrival, none of which were granted, but no big deal! We were taken personally to our room by Luis, one of the front desk managers, what a nice guy and not hard on the eyes if I do say so! Upon arrival at our room, it was a first floor room near the main quiet pool, which was quite dirty. We decided we would like a third floor room as originally requested since we were two females mid-twenties wary of the easy access to the sliding door on a main level. A quick call to the front desk fixed it right up and within 20-30 minutes we were in our third floor clean room! Very courteous and happy to help us!
Still overcast close to dinner, went to the buffet to eat once it opened and was slightly scared to see how many locals were at the resort :o
I certainly love the Mexican culture and the Mayans, however, since this is off-season and the weekend, they offer discount rates to locals for the weekends. Families were REALLY messy and left the buffet in complete disarray, very loud and pushy. Was afraid that's what it would be like all trip but soon found out it was a weekend thing only. Buffet stayed relatively clean after that. Food at the buffet was good, not fantastic, ate mostly the same thing the whole trip but hey it's a buffet, can't really complain! Grilled meats were fantastic, pasta is just meh, pizza is actually pretty good (especially the one with bacon!), breakfast buffet is good, tons of selection! They refill everything fairly often so don't worry about missing out on things if you go later. Omelette station and tons of bread made a lot of people happy in the mornings! We booked our a la cartes ahead of time (HIGHLY RECOMMEND), the italian was excellent! LOVED the tourtellini there...soo soo yummy but not enough to fill me up for the night! Wish the portion was larger! The brazilian was by FAR the best restaurant, we saw a few people walk out and talked to two couples who hated it but I have no idea what they were talking about, I ate so much I left with a food baby and was dreaming about meat for days!! Such great service there too, everyone greeted us with a smile! French restaurant was yummy but high class gourmet foods I didn't know much about, service took FOREVER but hey I am on vacation, where else am I going? I just filled up on wine in the meantime! :)
Pool and beach are great, bartenders work VERY hard for you, make sure you TIP!! Snack bars are pretty decent for daytime snack bars! Clean warm pools, lots of seaweed on the beach but guys are out there constantly cleaning it so it's really not a huge deal. We had cloud for the first 3 days of our trip, the staff do try and go out of their way to accomodate you when it's raining with activities etc, and you can make a trip to the Hacienda on the trolley for the day, it's on the resort and filled with lots of little trinkets, a sports bar and the disco is there too for night partying. This resort is VERY large, filled with all kinds of wildlife which I loved! Coaties and iguanas rule this place! They do hang around the pool and snack bars though, so watch your lunch! The trolley timing leaves much to be desired, very inconsistent! But hey, you can walk, it will just take a little longer. They stop where you ask them to, so that's a nice add on.
The rooms are fairly large, nice decor, very classic Mexican, which I love. Beds are quite hard so do request a mattress topper, your back will thank you!
Entertainment staff is ok, some are quite in love with the microphone and very annoying, but you can tell everyone puts a LOT of work into the shows. The Avatar show was OUTSTANDING for a resort show, the costumes and sets are very extravagant, this show was my favourite, they did it for a packed house at the Coba. You can venture onto the other parts of the resort and eat at the buffets etc.
Not much to do after the night shows, as the lobby bar is only open until 11pm and the disco does not open until 12...what are you to do between that time? Order plenty of drinks to keep you going in the lobby till then! Very relaxed atmosphere in the Coba lobby area, once you catch the trolley to the Hacienda it's a different story. The staff attends the disco and it seems like one good party. We were quite tipsy by the time we arrived on Thursday night, and very tired from all the sun so we didn't last long in the excessive smoke from the fog machine and the music was too loud for us. I imagine if we weren't so burned out it would have been a blast.
They have a dolphinarium on the resort, so no need to leave if it's something you want to experience. Too small of a pool for 4 or 5 dolphins in my opinion, but the trainer we had was so fantastic and more than willing to answer any questions about them, very very knowledgeable. I recommend going to see these lovely creatures if not here than somewhere else, once in a lifetime experience! They are very gentle and loving. Far FAR too much for the photo package, an exorbant amount of money for two photos, or even one!!! Wish we had a third person with us to take our own pictures from the guest area.
(The trolley never showed up for us and we almost missed our appointment time, but Luis saw us waiting and drove us there personally....what a guy!! I felt so taken care of by him the whole weekend, whenever he saw us he made sure to strike up a conversation and ask us how our trip was going! He continually apologized for the weather being so dull, but always hoped for sunshine for us! Nothing he could control but it was so nice to hear. THANK YOU Luis for your outstanding customer service!!)
All in all I would say a great trip to the Mayan! Small things that annoyed me or I didn't like I could certainly get past, no need to be terribly picky when away in a beautiful spot such as this!
Definitely would come back to the Coba, loved my experience overall! A++++ for the service we got!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 lake-style pools, 3 Jacuzzis, large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers, pool and beach towel service, BAHIA SPA (additional charge). Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles, motorized sports (additional charge), water activity centre, entertainment amphitheater. WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge), buffet restaurant, 4 a la carte restaurants, 8 bars, 2 snack bars. Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed, sitting area with sofa, fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bathtub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer, bathroom amenities. Balcony or terrace, air conditioning, ceiling fan, telephone, radio alarm clock, flat screen satellite TV, mini-bar, coffee-making facilities, safe (additional charge), ironing set, terrace, Wifi. Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites, the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite; bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay, children's bath kit, welcome basket with sweets, mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children, two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites), Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico