“Great trip!”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great trip!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I travelled with my husband last Feb 2012. We really enjoyed this resort for a number of different reasons and had a few tips and small complaints. We really liked how big the resort is. The fact that it really is 3 big resorts in 1 made it a lot of fun for sightseeing and going to the different buffets, snack bars and the variety of the a la cartes. The little trains were a lot of fun to take around if you didn't feel like walking although it was a lot of fun to walk around and see the different wildlife and landscaping.

I would recommend emailing "Felix" who is the manager at this resort. He will hook you up with the a la cartes before hand. I also requested a certain building and floor - when he emailed me back I had the date and times of the a la carte reservations and although he said that he couldn't guarantee the building and room when we got there, we were in a great location (31b on the second floor). I had mentioned in the email that I was pregnant and he made sure there was a mattress topper on our bed which was very thoughtful because the beds are a tad hard for my taste.

The buffets have a good variety - if you go to the other resorts a lot of the food is similar, but have their own different spin.

My only complaint would have to have be the lack of sun chairs everywhere we went. Because Coba is not directly on the beach it was almost impossible to get a chair because by the time you go, all chairs are taken reserved already. Even at the pools it was very much like that. My husband and I didn't like the idea of reserving chairs, but by the 3rd day it was too frustrating to find even 1 empy chair that we just starting reserving ourselves before heading off the breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank markandfeffer
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear "markandfeffer",

Thank you very much for taking you the time to share with us your comments about your stay last February.

We have already sent your nice words and thanks to the departments involved, specially Felix,
We will be looking forward to welcoming you back here at your new Mexican home

Yours faithfully,

Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,574)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Very clean nice hotel. Positives: Clean, VERY Large, nice staff, food very good. Negatives: Way Too Big, too easy to get lost, no pool waitress staff, pay to access the safe, wristbands necessary, 2 very small pillows, only 3 diners included--rest are buffet on a 7 night stay, too many of the staff gave wrong directions when asked where something was at, hotel is VERY understaffed for the size and number of people at hotel, wait for 12-15 people at the pool bars was VERY COMMON, 20 minute wait for a drink at the hotel bars was common.

Dear Jim O,

For Gran Bahia Principe all comments, suggestions or criticisms are very important, because our clients are the best supervisor we have. Thank you for sharing with us your experience.

We have reviewed the differents issues that you share with the hotel management to introduce corrective actions or improvements where is necessary.

This certainly does not reflect the commitment and the quality that we have exhibited for many years. Please accept our most sincerest apologizes.

We expect to have the opportunity to welcome you again to be able to offer a more charming experience.

Yours faithfully

London, United Kingdom

Ok, where do I start?

We went to the Grand Bahia principe resort in August 2012 for two weeks, it was our first time in Mexico. Once we got off the flight being fairly tired we travelled to the hotel (about an hour and a half) which i was a little concerned with but well worth once we got there.

Our room was delightful, spacious, the only issue was the TV was the old style, so we couldn't attach the laptop for the kids and photography. I spoke with a extremely helpful gentleman called Felix Schlokat who is part of the management team at the resort. Felix had a flat screen installed within a day or so and continued to make our holiday very comfortable & relaxing. Everything was taken care of, we had a suite which we enjoyed very much.

Even the little things like we wanted to go to the show at the hacienda, Felix arranged for free tickets. Which we did not expect, from start to end everything was taken care of. Even when we where sitting in the bar or restaurant he would always make a point of saying hi and joining us for a bit. Even as we left the resort Felix himself came to say farewell and checked us onto the coach. I have to say that he has a full compliment of staff to run these duties but still ensure the detail in the service is complete, led by example approach and always open to constructive feedback.

The resort staff and facilities are very good. Pools keep clean, pathways, etc. no complaints what so ever, for us this was a premium holiday for the whole family and they didn't let us down! We truly hope to go back soon.

If anyone has had the good fortune to have met Felix and has an email please feel free to send it to me.

Room Tip: We stayed close to the 24 hour snack bar and close to the kids pool connected to the family pool wit...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Serb_B
Dear Jerb_B,

We really appreciate that you share with us your nice comments about your stay with us last August, specially your appreciation about Felix's work, we have already sent your kinds words to him and all the departments involve.

Thank you again for your lovely words. It will be an honor that we would welcome you again here at the Riviera Maya.

Yours faithfully,

Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Bahia Principe Dec 26/12-Jan 2/13 and were amazed by the resort, the staff, the food and the overall experience. It was so incredible that we hope to return many times, not just the two of us but with our children. Although we like to explore the surrounding area when travelling, there is so much to do and see, one would never get bored remaining in the complex for the entire visit.

3 Thank shockedfreind
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear shockedfreind,

We are truly happy that you enjoyed the kindness of our crew. Your comments are really important; they help us to know better the needs and wishes of our guests.

We have already sent your nice words and thanks to the departments involved. We will be looking forward to welcoming you back here at your new Mexican home.

Sending you my kindest regards,

Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Sunwing: The flight crew is super. But, I'll never fly them again. Sardine can comfort. We ordered Elite Plus but there were no seats together. My wife phoned Sunwing and they refunded some of the cost of the package but assured us we would have the rest of the Elite Plus package. Well okay going from Edmonton but returning was one comedy show after another. They would not even honor our Elite portion and forget the plus part guarenteed to us by the sales person at Sunwing. Then, once boarded we were told we'd ordered children's meals. They persisted in insiting this was the case until the head guy finally agreed we could eat adult food. Never again Sunwing!

Shuttle service to and from airport was good

Check in at 3 in the morning was quick and sweet. Check out was the same. You can get your money exchanged at the front desk us dollar to peso. The ATM had a $25 service fee. Stuff in the stores was over priced. The best prices I saw for souviners was at the Cancun Airport.

Buffet was as good as any. They can't seem to cook beef correctly anywhere I went. The Mexican A La Cart was fanstastic both food and service. The seafood and medertrian was lousy. Christmas dinner was good. Table service in the buffet was dependant on tips. Tip in US currency.

Room was great. Forgot to tip one day and found the quality of the room cleaning and amount of towels and face clothes lacking.

Time share people? Were there even any there? No hassles for us.

In building 23A. Close to the Spa and buffet and lobby. Could be a little noisy but we didn't mind. We were usually so tired after our full days that we hardly noticed.

The Spa Mayan masauge was great.

The pools and bars were terrific especially the ones you can sit in the pool at the bar. The snack bars were okay.

Diana was a super help there. Thanks!

Tip: Tip!

4 Thank RCN_Stoker
Dear RCN_Stoker,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience here at the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba. Comments like your help us to reinforce the quality of our services. We will share your opinions with all the departments involved. It will be an honor to welcome you and your family here in the Riviera Maya.

Sending you my kindest regards.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was our second time visiting the Grand Bahia Chain. Our first was in DR Punta Cana.
We booked through our travel agent Air Transat the COBA Golden Section for the same price as the “normal section”. Honestly there is not much difference between the two besides the fact that the Villa’s are deeper into the Coba section. We were in Villa 28B, third floor facing away from the Golden lobby.
The differences between Normal lobby and Golden Lobby were:
- Private lobby for Golden members
- Half liter bottle of tequila
- Turn down service (which didn’t happen until we complained to the staff in Golden lobby that it was not done for the first 3 days of our stay, but corrected immediately after that)
- Premium labels at the Golden Lobby including Jack Daniels, Jim, Jonny etc.. (although if requested at other bars the serving staff or bar tenders would make sure they would find it for you)
- Robes and slippers
- 4 a-la-cart restaurants (which by the way we were told we can book over the phone rather than wait in line at public relations – Not true
- Safe lock included – Not true… expect to pay $5 per day regardless of membership.
The above hardly worth the extra $100 - $150 CAD per person. (Which we didn’t have to pay, lucky us)
We traveled as 2 families 2 adults and 2 kids each (11months to 5 yrs). I emailed the resort a week before our visit to request 3rd floor (less bugs) specifically Villa 28 as it was what I thought the most quiet less traffic area. I was rite! Check in on Dec 20th.
There are two main pools, the activity pool closer to the front lobby, and the quiet pool closer to the Golden section. Grounds are kept really well, room after cleaning daily are consistently cleaned the same as you would walk in the first day. Lobby and all restrooms are immaculate considering the volume of people that use the facilities.
We found that the pool water was a bit cold to our liking (around 22-24 Celsius) but the pools are maintained very well. Pools are open from 9am to 10 pm but are empty of people by 4:30pm. Chemical treatment done after midnight for the next day.
Lobby reception regardless of which lobby perhaps needs to be trained a bit more to better service customers. I had a few incidents where I had asked for direction on and seemed that I caught them off guard, not really show stoppers but a bit frustrating due to language barrier perhaps?!?!
1. Time of check-in at the Golden lobby, they only had on access card to the room, we were the first in line with at least 6 other parties ready to check in after us. I asked why do we get only one card, there are two adults here? Response: puzzled with a pause, umm sir we only have one card here.
2. Front Lobby, we were supposed to meet our Air Transat rep the next morning after our arrival at the lobby, who was late by 20 minutes(no fault of the resort). Naturally I went to ask where would I find this person or where does this session take place. Response: one person said go left from here, the other said go right from here. The third said wait here.
3. Front lobby, Is WIFI free here and is there anything I need to do to authenticate to connect? Response from one reception person: yes you need to put room number and password. Shortly after their counterpart said, yes sir its free and you can connect automatically nothing required to connect.
4. Front Lobby, My daughter participated in one of the kids Xmas shows and was lent a costume for the show that we had to return. The kids club was closed when we were returning the costume but I asked the reception can I return this here since the kids club is closed. Response: Kids Club? Costume? Finally a more senior staff member said yes you can leave it here.
Servers at all the restaurants at COBA, AMAZING SERVICE, they clear your table as you are done you meals, fill you glasses with your beverage of choice, you ask for something and they will get it for you… AKUMAL resort they will tell you where it is.
However I would recommend the resort to consider the little kids a bit more in the restaurants by providing child size cups with lids and straws, rather than handing our daughter milk/juice filled to the brim in adult cups and then wondering why liquid was spilled all over the place. If a child is seated at the table, ask if you would like the glassware and knives to be removed both at the buffet and a la carts. Glassware, knives and table clutter don’t mix with young children.
Food selection is great at the buffet. Our best meals were at the Japanese, Mediterranean and Mexican.
We spent most of our time at the Coba Beach at the Akumal resort section. Although busy we were able to plant ourselves in any desired location.
Bottled water, Bottled water, Bottled water… The resort should make bottled water more available anywhere. Although water is available in glasses, the only way you could get a bottle of water anywhere was if you ordered it through reception which would eventually be delivered to your room.
Highlight of this trip was after the Xmas Gala in the front lobby. My two daughters were bored and exploring the gingerbread house that was constructed in the area where they had set up Santa’s chair and a path for the kids to meet Santa with empty gift wrapped boxes (about 50) boxes surrounding the area. Around 9 pm when everyone in the lobby lounge was sitting and having drinks chatting… my two daughters 3 and 5years old decided to move some of those empty boxed presents around and suddenly started building a Xmas gift fort. During this time the staff that was clearing the display that they had created for the gala outside of the lobby that included some more boxes, saw these two little girls building a fort with the entire lounge watching with smiles. The staff shortly started to bring more boxes from other displays for my girls to build more to which the entire lobby audience applauded. Thank you GBP COBA staff for putting that memory in my little girls minds for life.

Some may find my review consists of mixed feelings but I am being candid and honest. On a final note may I add that I will Defiantly NOT …………..Hesitate to visit or recommend GBP again but would stay at the Akumal section only for being closer to the beach.

Room Tip: Ask to face the jungles or away from the pools if you plan to stay in your room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kamal S
Dear Kran S,

Thank you very much for taking part of your precious time to share your experience in our Resort. The comments of our guest are really important they help us to improve and reinforce our services.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome and value we will forward to all the departments involved. Thank you very much again for your comments.

It will be an honor that we would welcome you again here at the Gran Bahía Principe Hotels & Resorts, here in the Riviera Maya.

Yours faithfully

Moose Factory, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This place has its act together for such a huge resort. Great staff, from cleaning to drivers...no need to wake up early to get a seat at the beach because it's so huge...lots of good sub-resorts.

Things you should know that you probably don't:
- Enormous Resort. But, like, really, really, enormous.
- Sand is most likely fake on the beach. If you're a sand connoisseur, you should go somewhere else.
- Good mix of non-American people: more lovely Canadians and exotic Spanish people.
- The Discotheque: picture that grimy club you went to when you were under-age. Cut that in half.
- Hacienda: a sort of post-modern take on that classic, Western-meets-Mexico film set. If you love tacky, Western films, this will be a hit.
- Food:
- Good food. Lots of selection in the buffet.
- The specialty restaurants are all really good.
- 'by poached eggs they mean hard boiled'

- Alcohol
- Can get wasted with very little effort. Mexican bar staff are efficient and courteous, although not particularly chatty or personable.
- Good local beer on draft. Word on the street is that it's dos equis.
- Common theme here: for some reason, the margaritas are totally brutal...whatt?

- Burritos
- Listen close amigos. It took us more than a week to find a good burrito; correction, any burrito. And this was in Toronto after landing when stopping for Timmy's. Seriously, no burritos in Mexico? (Also a serious lack of guacamole)

- Qeasadillas: not to be found anywhere.

- Fajitas: ditto.

- Nachos: best nachos you will find will be corn chips and this watered-down cheese whiz

- Guacamole: hard to come across - though when discovered, a delicious treat.

Room Tip: not all rooms have a view of the beach. some are very far from the beach, like coba.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank thissiteisveryannoyi
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear "thissiteisveryannoyi",

Thank you for making us participants of your general impression. Your feedback is welcome and valued. The comments of all our guest are more than welcome.

We will share your observations to our Chef and all the departments involve. I would like to share with you the "burritos" origins, they are a Tex-Mex dish created by the Mexican families that live in the United States, is a very popular dish in the north of our country, not likely in the south. Thank you very much for taking you the time to share with us your observations.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second culinary opportunity in a near future.

Sending you my kindest regards

Public Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!