This was our second time visiting the Grand Bahia Chain. Our first was in DR Punta Cana.
We booked through our travel agent Air Transat the COBA Golden Section for the same price as the “normal section”. Honestly there is not much difference between the two besides the fact that the Villa’s are deeper into the Coba section. We were in Villa 28B, third floor facing away from the Golden lobby.
The differences between Normal lobby and Golden Lobby were:
- Private lobby for Golden members
- Half liter bottle of tequila
- Turn down service (which didn’t happen until we complained to the staff in Golden lobby that it was not done for the first 3 days of our stay, but corrected immediately after that)
- Premium labels at the Golden Lobby including Jack Daniels, Jim, Jonny etc.. (although if requested at other bars the serving staff or bar tenders would make sure they would find it for you)
- Robes and slippers
- 4 a-la-cart restaurants (which by the way we were told we can book over the phone rather than wait in line at public relations – Not true
- Safe lock included – Not true… expect to pay $5 per day regardless of membership.
The above hardly worth the extra $100 - $150 CAD per person. (Which we didn’t have to pay, lucky us)
We traveled as 2 families 2 adults and 2 kids each (11months to 5 yrs). I emailed the resort a week before our visit to request 3rd floor (less bugs) specifically Villa 28 as it was what I thought the most quiet less traffic area. I was rite! Check in on Dec 20th.
There are two main pools, the activity pool closer to the front lobby, and the quiet pool closer to the Golden section. Grounds are kept really well, room after cleaning daily are consistently cleaned the same as you would walk in the first day. Lobby and all restrooms are immaculate considering the volume of people that use the facilities.
We found that the pool water was a bit cold to our liking (around 22-24 Celsius) but the pools are maintained very well. Pools are open from 9am to 10 pm but are empty of people by 4:30pm. Chemical treatment done after midnight for the next day.
Lobby reception regardless of which lobby perhaps needs to be trained a bit more to better service customers. I had a few incidents where I had asked for direction on and seemed that I caught them off guard, not really show stoppers but a bit frustrating due to language barrier perhaps?!?!
1. Time of check-in at the Golden lobby, they only had on access card to the room, we were the first in line with at least 6 other parties ready to check in after us. I asked why do we get only one card, there are two adults here? Response: puzzled with a pause, umm sir we only have one card here.
2. Front Lobby, we were supposed to meet our Air Transat rep the next morning after our arrival at the lobby, who was late by 20 minutes(no fault of the resort). Naturally I went to ask where would I find this person or where does this session take place. Response: one person said go left from here, the other said go right from here. The third said wait here.
3. Front lobby, Is WIFI free here and is there anything I need to do to authenticate to connect? Response from one reception person: yes you need to put room number and password. Shortly after their counterpart said, yes sir its free and you can connect automatically nothing required to connect.
4. Front Lobby, My daughter participated in one of the kids Xmas shows and was lent a costume for the show that we had to return. The kids club was closed when we were returning the costume but I asked the reception can I return this here since the kids club is closed. Response: Kids Club? Costume? Finally a more senior staff member said yes you can leave it here.
Servers at all the restaurants at COBA, AMAZING SERVICE, they clear your table as you are done you meals, fill you glasses with your beverage of choice, you ask for something and they will get it for you… AKUMAL resort they will tell you where it is.
However I would recommend the resort to consider the little kids a bit more in the restaurants by providing child size cups with lids and straws, rather than handing our daughter milk/juice filled to the brim in adult cups and then wondering why liquid was spilled all over the place. If a child is seated at the table, ask if you would like the glassware and knives to be removed both at the buffet and a la carts. Glassware, knives and table clutter don’t mix with young children.
Food selection is great at the buffet. Our best meals were at the Japanese, Mediterranean and Mexican.
We spent most of our time at the Coba Beach at the Akumal resort section. Although busy we were able to plant ourselves in any desired location.
Bottled water, Bottled water, Bottled water… The resort should make bottled water more available anywhere. Although water is available in glasses, the only way you could get a bottle of water anywhere was if you ordered it through reception which would eventually be delivered to your room.
Highlight of this trip was after the Xmas Gala in the front lobby. My two daughters were bored and exploring the gingerbread house that was constructed in the area where they had set up Santa’s chair and a path for the kids to meet Santa with empty gift wrapped boxes (about 50) boxes surrounding the area. Around 9 pm when everyone in the lobby lounge was sitting and having drinks chatting… my two daughters 3 and 5years old decided to move some of those empty boxed presents around and suddenly started building a Xmas gift fort. During this time the staff that was clearing the display that they had created for the gala outside of the lobby that included some more boxes, saw these two little girls building a fort with the entire lounge watching with smiles. The staff shortly started to bring more boxes from other displays for my girls to build more to which the entire lobby audience applauded. Thank you GBP COBA staff for putting that memory in my little girls minds for life.
Some may find my review consists of mixed feelings but I am being candid and honest. On a final note may I add that I will Defiantly NOT …………..Hesitate to visit or recommend GBP again but would stay at the Akumal section only for being closer to the beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 lake-style pools, 3 Jacuzzis, large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers, pool and beach towel service, BAHIA SPA (additional charge). Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles, motorized sports (additional charge), water activity centre, entertainment amphitheater. WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge), buffet restaurant, 4 a la carte restaurants, 8 bars, 2 snack bars. Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed, sitting area with sofa, fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bathtub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer, bathroom amenities. Balcony or terrace, air conditioning, ceiling fan, telephone, radio alarm clock, flat screen satellite TV, mini-bar, coffee-making facilities, safe (additional charge), ironing set, terrace, Wifi. Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites, the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite; bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay, children's bath kit, welcome basket with sweets, mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children, two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites), Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico