Sorry, but this is going to be a fairly long review, but well worth reading if looking into going to this resort.
This was our second trip to Mexico. The first was to Cancun 17 years ago and we got married there and it was great. This vacation however was far beyond our expectations and I didn't want to leave!!! It was absolutely amazing!!!
Let me start by saying this resort is beautiful. Being able to use all the amenities of all three resorts was terrific. The grounds were immaculate. The staff is constantly cleaning the grounds and the flowers and scenery are pristine. To wake up in the morning and go on the balcony and listen to birds and see the sunrise over the palm trees was like a dream.
There is so much to do on the resort. The entertainment team is incredible. They always have activities for everyone. The water aerobics were a good workout and Luis Angel was a great instructor. I called him my slave driver. Samba lessons were great and zumba was a lot of fun. The snorkeling is good down at the Coba beach, but I was disappointed that people didn't follow the rules about going past the buoys to go swimming.There's lot a fish to see and they're swimming all around you even when your close to the shore. Please respect that this is a protected reef and if you swim into the protected area you are damaging the reef. Just have some respect for nature please. It would be a shame for this to be destroyed because of us! Jose at the Coba beach was always good to us and was always smiling. The animals on the resort are cute and sometimes funny. There's lots of iguanas, coatis, agoutis, geckos and many species of birds. The entertainment shows in the evening are good. There's a lot of variety and the shows are very entertaining. The Thursday show at the Hacienda Dona Isabel was fun and there's lots of shops around. I really liked the macho man part of the show and the Mayan part of the show was very interesting just to see their culture and tradition. I've read some reviews about not being close to the beach. There are always trolleys going by and really it only took us about 15 minutes to walk to the beach and that was even stopping to admire some of the scenery. Once you get the hang of the resort you can find many short cuts to where you want to go.
Now for the accommodations. We stayed in a junior suite in the Coba resort and we were surprised on how nice the room was. We had no problems with the bed. Yes the mattress is hard, but we never had any problems sleeping. It was some of the best nights sleep we ever had. Everything in the room was always clean and immaculate. Gotta give a shout out to Victor who cleaned our room and gave us a new kind of towel art every day. Victor thank you for the special birthday balloons, birthday cake towel art, fruit basket and of course the bottle of tequila for my birthday celebration. Everything was always stocked and the mini bar was always full with beer, pop and snacks. Thank you to Roger who filled the mini bar daily. We really appreciated the way you looked after us.
Now for the food. We found there was a great variety of selections on the buffets.The Coba buffet had the biggest selection though.You can go to all three resorts and also you can go to the premier buffet which is smaller but less busy. The snack bars have a good selection as well. There is a different theme at the buffets every night. The food overall was terrific. With the a la carte restaurants you do have to book early as I think they only book a certain amount of people in a night. . We had a reservation for 10:00pm at The Gourmet which was a little later than we would've liked, but it was well worth the wait. The food was first class and it was one of our best dinners. El Pescador and Mikado were also very nice. The tepanyaky table at the Mikado was very entertaining.
Okay now the service. I can't explain the appreciation I have for all the staff in the whole resort. I've worked in the hospitality industry for many years and am amazed at the way the staff takes pride in everything they do. You are to be highly commended for all that you do. I am ashamed in the way that some people that work in the hospitality industry have lowered their standard. I never once saw any of the staff on the resort texting or talking on their cell phone and neglecting the customers. We could learn a lesson from the staff in Mexico. Just the overall way they serve, clean and respect people is terrific. I understand visitors go down there to relax and to not have a care in the world, but during even just one meal take a good look around and see how professional they are when they change the table clothes and how many glasses they carry to when they set the tables. I saw one Mayan waitress carrying 13 glasses total. I was amazed and asked her how she was able to do that with such tiny hands. I also understand that gratuities are included in the package but I can't help but wonder how much goes to the staff. Talking with a local from the town of Tulum who helped us with a taxi to the beach, these people don't make much and every little bit counts. I was disgusted when I witnessed a table were the adults left a couple of American dollars on the table and after they left their teenage daughter took the gratuity and put it in her purse. My husband and I both witnessed this and were shocked. We were getting ready to leave, but there was no way I was going to leave the tip on the table after what she just did. I was going to give it to our waiter in front of the girl making sure that she knew we saw what she did, but I think she realized we saw her take the tip and she put the money back. I was very upset to see something like that. I understand people may feel since the tip is included in their package they don't need to tip, but like I asked you to do before, just take a little time to observe what these people do and think to yourself do you see and get the same kind of service where you live. I know we've noticed a decline in the service that we get over the past few years.
In closing all we can say is THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF for making this a trip to remember and we hope to be back real soon. MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, BP Travel USA, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico