We've just returned from this resort hotel and what a monster it is! 1st impressions are very good the grounds and gardens are excellent always being tended to and look lovely as do the swimming pools and whirl pools etc.
You need to leave a trail of breadcrumbs to find your room again as it's all so spread out. We got given a map but because there are a few things left off it you can't always be sure where you are! There are little golf carts with drivers and mini bendy buses that roam around the site on routes to ease the walking etc. We got soaked one night going to our restaurant for dinner in getting lost. A staff driver wasn't instantly enthusiastic about giving us a lift to the right place but thankfully relinquished in the end.... They couldn't help the rain but some more umbrellas around the place would have been good!? nearly as rare as a free sunbed at 8am round the pool lol?!
At the beach....it's lovely. No rubbish, clear water and lush sand. You have more time to get your sunbed here but past 10:30-11ish its more like hunt the thimble. For 5 star i found this scenario annoying. Drinks are on the beach obviously all inclusive; but we had to go get them unlike previous 5 star trips :-/ Also bit of a queue here, quite a lack of staff i thought, often waiting over 20mins ..prob longer as i didn't start timing straight away. Not that i was in rush for anything though.
The room - clean and nicely attended every day. One day they forgot the towels...no problem at all - phoned up and some were promptly delivered; however, when I went to get into the shower, there was no water at all!! I've never experienced this anywhere before! It was on and off for ages right when we were getting ready to go out. Reception was engaged permanently while this was going on and as expected, when the water was back on, it was dirty as expected ! No explanation was ever given so I asked when I was personally at reception a day later - the receptionist replied...'oh yes it happens all the time' ??? didn't know what to say after that. Water remained dirty if you ran a bath; looked like someone pissed in it. Also the night we had continuous heavy rain we were in a top floor suite and by morning water had leaked through the ceiling over the floor... I've never seen this before. The other thing that couldn't be forgotten to mention was he damp musty smell every time you walked into the room. I know others have commented that this tended to clear with airing the room but we found this not to be the case and remained right through our stay. Moreover, on return to the UK and unpacking our bags, the damp smell persisted on on our clothes! Urgh!
Food. The restaurants were ok. Portafinos and the gourmet being the best. I would concur with most other reviews about mediteraneo and the main buffet areas being not so good especially about food being cold in some baine marries, best to just test something you fancy to see if its hot enough. The selection however is extensive and there is something and more to tempt everybody. The main buffets are also kept clear and neat. The 24 hr snack bars however are less so. They are generally fairly deplete of hot food and replenishing them is slow.
The bars are great however; the measures are generous and particularly the swim up bars in the pools are good fun.
The pools - as said above, they are very well maintained and the water is crystal clear, if not a little too COLD!!
Spa - amazing massage!
Entertainment - full shows every night - excellent performances - but not sure why we had to pay a supplemental 17 dollars on one night for the mexican show!?! Don't miss the chap at the hacienda spray painting pictures - incredible to watch and reasonably priced - he will also take requests and paint a picture for you exclusively if you ask!
Excursions - we went out one day on a tour company organised trip to chichen itza - cramped poorly air conditioned minibus for 3 hours there and similarly back - there is an upgrade you can pay for a roomier coach with toilets and drinks on board which we wished we had paid. Despite this, the place was stunning and stopped off for a delightful lunch at a local restaurant with a dancing show. Well worth it.
Swimming with dolphins was absolutely amazing!! Paid extra for it but not excessive. However, they get their money on the photo CD and DVD afterwards!!
Tour operator and flights - Flew as a package with Thomas Cook - not greatly organised and rep in resort was friendly but didn't really seem bothered about providing us with any information. BA flight (not unexpectedly !) was below par - service poor and unattentive; food appalling and entertainment on way back failed completely - not impressive for a 9 hour flight!!!
Also be prepared to take 3 hours to get through customs in mexico - long dawdling queues with few staff on duty despite the large number of coinciding flights arriving!
Overall, a good holiday - a few niggles, but didn't spoil our stay at all.
PS - avoid the club privilege reps at all cost!!! They hound you daily to 'show' you their luxury time share accommodation claiming it will only take 90 minutes of your time - this is a complete lie - they took up our entire morning despite us saying we had to be elsewhere and got rather aggressive that we were not prepared to stay longer than the 3 and a half hours that we had already wasted listening to their drivel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 lake-style pools, 3 Jacuzzis, large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers, pool and beach towel service, BAHIA SPA (additional charge). Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles, motorized sports (additional charge), water activity centre, entertainment amphitheater. WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge), buffet restaurant, 4 a la carte restaurants, 8 bars, 2 snack bars. Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed, sitting area with sofa, fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bathtub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer, bathroom amenities. Balcony or terrace, air conditioning, ceiling fan, telephone, radio alarm clock, flat screen satellite TV, mini-bar, coffee-making facilities, safe (additional charge), ironing set, terrace, Wifi. Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites, the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite; bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay, children's bath kit, welcome basket with sweets, mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children, two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites), Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico