“Best family vacation ever-fantastic resort”

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Oakville, Canada
“Best family vacation ever-fantastic resort”
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We just returned last night from a week at the GBP Tulum.
Summary: Stayed in building 45 Diamond section. Great for us as in front of private lobby, nice and quiet for kids (aged 8 and 5). Rooms were great, enough room for 2 double beds and a cot. The hotel is spotless, and they go above and beyond to meet and exceed your needs. Great towel art and super clean rooms everyday. Food was excellent. Diamond allows you to have breakfast and lunch at a smaller buffet (Tequila) which was great, and a minute from our room. Main buffet has everything. If you love Mexican food, they have a great Mexican corner. Sushi station set up everyday. A la cartes were very good. Our favourite was the Mexican with the Mariachi. Gran Tortuga - Brazilian - very good, and the beef was excellent. Don Pablo also very good. Steak and shrimp.
Beach at the Tulum section is rocky, so you just go the Akumal section to swim where the water is calm and the sand bags (whales as people call them) are great for the kids to jump off of. Actually liked having to go over there, then return to the quieter section at tulum where the people do not seem to be as intoxicated. Akumal main buffet is busier for lunch as everyone is using the beach there, as well as the Coba people. Way more party people at the Akumal area with their oversize keg cups - really not necessary and quite tacky in my opinion.

Kids club - our kids loved it and asked to go. The staff there are great with the kids. Great at 2pm when they are tired and need to get out of the sun and they show movies and parents can have adult quiet time :)
Shows at night - we watched a few - they were just OK. Lobby bar had live music which was Ok, but very loud and the kids found it too noisy.

All in all, this is a great hotel chain, and considering it is so big, they manage to do an amazing job. Emailed ahead of time to reserve a la cartes, and Grace, PR Manager promptly emailed back and helped with our requests of a quiet room.
Yes, true they are building a dolphin aquarium there where you will be able to swim with the dolphins. Dont really love that, but I'm sure it will be a big hit.
entertainment staff fantastic with both adults and kids.
Beds were very comfortable with the mattress topper - have no idea what the complaints were.
Drinks good, margaritas with Jose Cuervo on the rocks was a favourite.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and will be going back. Been to many other Bahia Principe hotels, and this is my favourite.
Best value for this caliber of hotel. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank beachfamily627

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,266)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Let me start out by saying that our family loves to plan trips and go it alone. I was not thrilled to try an all inclusive, especially not in Mexico. Well, this trip has changed my mind. We are a family of 4, two boys ages 9 and 12. My husband has been working non-stop and we have not been able to take vacations because of it. We needed something totally relaxing and this fit the bill. I booked a package with Travelocity, and didn't realize after the fact that I scored the Diamond Club. I think having the Hacienda/ Diamond Club was the key to making this so trip so enjoyable. We ventured to the Akumal section of the resort one day, and the chairs were hard to come by at the pool and beach. I don't think we would have enjoyed it as much if we had to deal with that every day.

We stayed in Junior Hacienda suite. It was fine, and had plenty of room for the 4 of us. Especially since we were never in the room. I actually thought the place was under booked because there were no crowds at the Diamond Club beach or pool. It seemed like most of the people staying in that area were European families. I only found at later the place was booked to capacity. Eating breakfast and lunch at Tequilas instead of the main Yucatan buffet (which was good, don't get me wrong) was also a perk for Diamond Club members. It was nice to go to a smaller restaurant, although I'm sure the selection wasn't as big . After day one, we were pals with Alfredo and the rest of the crew. My son was so taken with Julio's omelets, he asks me to make him one every day for breakfast now.

We ate at the ala carte restaurants 3 nights, and enjoyed them all. The family favorite was Arlequin. My youngest son loved Gran Tortuga the best - he tried every single thing they brought to the table! We also went to Mikado and enjoyed that. The staff worked so hard and were very friendly. We were there for New Year's eve, and I could not believe the buffet, show and service. My kids are already trying to convince that we need to go again next Christmas.

We rented a car and checked out some of the sights. This worked out great. We went to the Tulum ruins, the public Akumal beach for snorkeling (no need, we like the nice clean beaches at the resort better. Plus, you can snorkel off the beach at the Akumal resort), Yal-ku Lagoon for snorkeling, and the Grand Cenote. Yal-K and Cenote were awesome, and perfect for kids. We took advantage of the beach volleyball, and eventing shows, but that's about it. My husband did have a massage, and said it was terrific. Some of the activities I wanted to try (cooking lesson and Spanish lesson) were at times that didn't work for us. The one day we could participate, the events were canceled because the staff was practicing for the big New Year's Eve show.

I really expected the worst, and did not plan to enjoy myself as much as I did. The food was surprisingly good, and there was enough variety. Was service perfect? No, but now that we know the ropes (where to exchange towels, that we need to flag down the maid to refill the mini bar, and other minor things) I read comments about people getting bugged about time share, and we never once were asked. I must say I was pleasantly surprised, and we just may cave when the kids ask if we can go again next year!

3 Thank nancysg
Nickivanden, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
Dear Sir/ Madame

Thank you very much for staying at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Resort, your positive impressions shared with other future travellers are very much appreciated. For guests like you who share their holiday experience with others, our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

We have already sent your nice words and thanks to the departments involved and in the name of the whole GBP team, we want to thank you again for your valuable comments.

It would be an honor to welcome you once again to our resort. Please write us a mail before your next visit and we will do our best to accommodate your wishes and requests.

Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Ok to start, I didn't stay in February 2010 that was just the latest date it would allow me to put. I have stayed at Bahia Principe 3 times all at Tulum April 2008, October 2008, and June 2009.
This resort is GREAT! There is only one negative that I will get out there right off the bat and that's the fact the resort is 45 minutes away from Playa del Carmen (the main town with all the clubs and shopping) this is not a deal breaker but something to think about. Also the weather for those who haven't been to Mexico. April was perfect weather, June was scorching...exactly how I like it though. And October it rained all day everyday!

STAFF
The staff is exceptional! Everyone is sooo friendly! Never dealt with one rude/lazy staff member. You get your drinks fast, you get checked in fast, and never had a problem with front desk when needing something. My roommate and I lost our key to our room twice at 4 am and they quickly got us others. Rooms were very nice and clean. For the amount of time one spends in their room...don't be picky! You are on vacation!

FOOD
Food is good. It is of course not going to be like the food back home by any means but isn't that bad and there's a variety of foods. There is the main buffet that you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then there are many a la carte restaurants that are fantastic! The waiters/waitresses are very nice and fast at refilling your drinks.

HOTEL
Bahia Principe is huge so it's separated into 3 different parts. We stayed in Tulum which is the party younger crowd one! There is Akumal for families and couples and then there's Coba (not on the beach) that is a little classier and more expensive. The grounds are huge but there are always shuttles coming by every 7 minutes to drive you around the resort grounds. It's very clean and well maintained. There are lizards though if you don't like them be prepared. The hotel is almost 2 hours from the Airport with all the stops you will be making at other resorts. It's a long go, but this hotel is well worth it....i think the further down the coast the nicer and bigger the resorts.

BEACH
The beach is nice, we didn't spend much time at the beach just to play drunked beach volleyball or tan a bit. There are watersports etc. The beach at Tulum is not as nice as Akumal/Coba side. You can't really swin because it's so rocky there are big things in the water to break up the waves. Take a 2 sec walk down the beach to Akumal for swimming.

POOL
There are 3 pools on the Tulum side, although you can go to Akumal and Coba as well and use their pools and buffets. The tulum pool has a kid pool, a couples type pool and then the party pool where they have activites all day and a swim up bar. The pools aren't freezing either. This is where we spent most of our day. All of these pools are right off the beach and near snack bars.

ENTERTAINMENT
There are shows everynight, different themes, i can't remember them all, Michael Jackson etc. They are very good, they are professionals that come to the resort not the entertainment staff that works the pool so it's much better. You can also go to Akumal and Coba for a different show if you don't like the show that's playing in Tulum.
The entertainment staff are awesome! Of course for younger single girls 16-26 you are going to love it because the boys will hit on you non-stop, especially if his name is Archi lol. They will always make sure you are having a great time.

BARS
There are bars at all 3 parts of the resort but at Tulum you have the Lobby Bar which is the pre-drink place, live music, fast service etc. Then there is the disco, which is open till 2am and when I was there it was really really fun. On certain nights there will be things happening at the Hacienda, Mexcian Night, Casino Night, and everynight the entertainment staff will dance Mexican style while you drink before the disco opens. There are also nights when the entertainment staff gets people together and you make a trip into Playa del Carmen to hit the clubs, Senior Frogs, Brahma, Coco Bongo, Blue Parrot etc...A great time!!! Well worth the money!

This hotel is for everyone! Like I said there are three different parts so you can choose your preference. We were single and in our early 20's when we went all three times and we were looking to party and that's what we found! I definitly recommend this to anyone that wants to have a great time! Party or Relaxing!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Chels12
Nickivanden, Assistant Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
Dear Sir, Madame

First of all thank you very much for staying in the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Resort and taking the time to write your positive impressions. It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated and visited hotels in the Riviera Maya.

We have already sent your nice words and thanks to the departments mentioned.
In the name of the whole Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya resort, we want to thank you again for your valuable comments and for convincing other travelers to visit our resort in the near future.

We want to invite you to visit us again soon, please write us a little message before your next visit and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes.

Leicestershire
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Well what can I say....I booked 7 months in advance and then spent months on Tripadvisor dreaming and preparing for this holiday. I am going to try very hard to keep this succint - but in summary this was a fantastic holiday over Xmas and New Year 2010. If you stay here - I believe most people will have a fabulous time.

Booked with Thomas Cook. Lucky we only had 3.5 hour delay out on 19th december from Gatwick.....

Downside TC. We paid £100 extra for private transfer. When we arrived the taxi driver "was apprently tired" so we ended up getting the group coach. Only 1 stop GBP.

I had requested Akumal section via email prior. We were allocated Tulum - hacienda section. I was annoyed becasue they promised. But boy was I grateful. We would NOT have enjoyed this holiday as quarter as much if we were stuck in Coba or Akumal. The reason why I avoided Tulum was because of the construction. But it was no where near us and was fine.

It was sadine city on the beach unless you were in the Tulum section. Deffo the best spot in my opinion.

Rooms - fine. Did get elecuted one morning by the lamp. So please use switches and not your hand up in the inside. Really I did!!!! The was the only negative.

Food - excellent for a AI. The gala meals the best Ive had and I go away every xmas and new year.

Drink - great! Wine even OK. Al la carte wine better but you do have to wrestle for it

Al la cartes - I booked my in advance via email and it all worked. The Mikado and Le Gourmet are the best by far. There are about 6 rooms with show table sso don't think your too special!!! we did it on Xmas day and it is good.

Beach - Tulum section nice and quiet and attractive but not very swimmable. I never went in.

Weather - great the first few days. Went very cold for 3 days with big winds to the point you couldn't sit on the beach and everyone was in jeans and coats!!!! It was chilly. It didn't feel like you were on holiday. It did then imporve. But this time of year its cool on a evening. The sunsets so early - so get up early and make the most of the day. Sun starts cooling 3pm.

Service - excellent really like the hotel staff. Very genuine. What I like was even if you did or did not tip the service was good. Now that is a good sign.

Tip - if your not happy say somthing. I didnt like where they would sometimes put you at meal times e.g. gala. So I said so and got moved.

Trips we recommend - Coba ruins, Tulum ruins and Akumal beach.

Highlight was swimming with Turtle on Christmas day - now thats cool!

I can't think of anything else in the meatime but please do enjoy the please. I travel all the time and very lucky to do these kind of holidays often and the standard of this please is very good indeed. Enjoy!!!

Kir321

2 Thank Kir321
Dear Sir/ Madame

Thank you very much for choosing the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Resort!
Your positive impressions shared with other future travellers are very much appreciated, and that is why our hotel remains one of the most appreciated resorts in the Riviera Maya.

We wish you all the best for 2011, to you and your family!

Alberta
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I really loved this hotel, the grounds and pool were beautiful, as was the beach. Everything was impeccably clean at all times and the staff were very friendly! The food in the main buffet was great and there was tons to choose from so even a picky eater will be sure to find something. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of nightlife, there was one disco... but it didn't open until midnight so frequently we found ourselves bored at the lobby bar waiting for the disco to open. The shows were typical resort shows.. nothing great but not bad. All in all, this is a beautiful resort and would be fantastic for families, if you are a young person who likes nightlife though, I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Wonderful relaxing stay. It was a long bus ride from the airport 1 1/2 hours late in the evening, but was glad to be south close to Mayan Ruins and away from more populated resort areas. We did have a bathroom on our bus.
Beach was beautiful. We didn't seem to need water shoes. Water was nice and warm. Waves were fun to play in. Its quite shallow so you can walk out for awhile. Sand was great to walk or jog on. There's a good stretch of beach to take a nice walk along. We did use their snorkel equipment (book a time as there is a wait) and we also used the kayaks.
Pools were beautiful, cold, but nice to dip in after sitting in the sun for awhile. We did water aerobics one day and the staff was very fun and friendly!
Buffet food was ok. Best food was the fresh fruit and salads. Also breakfast was very nice with made-to-order omelettes. We ate breakfast and lunch at La Gran Tortuga which was close to our room, the pool and the beach, perfect! My teenage kids loved all the food, including the 24 hour snack bar even though the menu was limited it was all they needed.
The a la carte restaurants were very good. Our reservations were all late in the evening (9:00, 9:30, 10:00) as that was all that was available to us. But it was holidays so we ate late and it was all good. We would always arrive 15-30 minutes early and they were never full so we went right in. The Japanese Micado's (at Coba) was the best. Had a show table with the cooking done right in front of you and very good food. The Mexican Tequila Restaurant (at Tulum) was my least favorite but my fussy teenage son loved it, so it is all preference. We decided to try an a la carte restaurant at each of the 3 resorts. The 3rd was The Arlequin at Akumal, very formal and wonderful food. I had lamb chops with shrimp! yum
The rooms were comfortable. I turned off the air conditioner, just needed the fan. I was happy that I took an extension cord to plug into the recessed outlets. Thank you to a review on here for that tip. My husband did have to file down the bigger prong on the cord but it worked! Bathrooms were very nice. Our villa (24) was close to the construction but it never really bothered us. We had towel art, curtain art, bed art, very creative and fun. Fridge was sufficiently stocked with cokes and chips and water...and beer if you like. We would leave a note and a tip if we needed something and it seemed to work.
Only did one evening show, Michael Jackson, it was great. Wish we could have gone to more!
Shopping at the Hacienda was better than Playa del Carmen. I just wasn't in the mood for pressure shopping. Prices at the Hacienda were reasonable. You can bargain with the shops outside of the Hacienda and some of the inside ones too.
Excursions- climbed up Coba ruins, awesome. Shopped Playa del Carmen. Went to Xcaret - need a full day to take it all in, amazing place.

4 Thank QuinceyCanada
Nickivanden, Assistant Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear Sir, Madame

First of all thank you very much for staying in the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Resort and taking the time to write your positive impressions. It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

We have already sent your nice words and thanks to the departments involved and in the name of the whole Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya resort, we want to thank you again for your valuable comments.

Cagliari, Italy
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We wanted to relax during Xmas cold italian time:
Messico and especially this hotel were perfect.
Weather is perfect, I suppose much better than summer time (too hot).
The staff is wonderful, really the best, always smiling to customers and working hard even during new years event. This last one was a very special mexican party.
Food is good quality, the place is lovely and if a person from Sardinia says it is...
A lot of attractions near the place (everythiing can be organized by a sales consultant at the hotel), I suugest Xcaret.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alexio21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!