“Loved it!”

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Montreal
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I went there with 2 of my girlfriends age 21 to 24 the resort is really beautiful the service was excellent can't complaint. The food was better than we expected, it was actually good but for some reason the selection at the Akumal buffet was better than the one in Tulum. Unlimited drinks so if you're planning to get drunk everyday then this is the place for you. The resort is really big if you like to walk then it's good or else they have shuttles every 5 minutes.

"The Room": nothing special really it's a 5 star hotel but compare to what we have here in Canada it's like a room in a motel. The bed are really stiff. The sheets and pillows smelled really bad although I saw our maid changed them almost everyday. The a/c wasnt really cold. You have a mini bar in the room so it was pretty good. Anyway you only come to your room to sleep so it's not so bad.

"The beach": The beach was not what I expected it's not as good as what you see in the pictures. It's very rocky and the sand is not really white it has coral in it. But there's some parts that were ok in the COba side and a bit of Akumal. Alot of sea weed too. If you're going for the beach Cuba or dominican Republic is better.

"Nightlife": They have disco in the resort but it was empty. So if you're going there to party it's not the right resort for you I recommend this resort mostly for family's, seniors and honeymooners. Singles stay away there's nothing there for you. Unless you just want to relax and drink. The location of the resort is pretty bad because it's very far it's 1hour and 30 minutes from the airport. SO if you want to see more of Mexico like go to Playa del carmen it's not the ideal place it's 45 minutes away.

It was a fun trip but we probably won't be back because we always like to try something new.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (13,109)

Reviewed July 11, 2006

I have just read the reviews on this site and I cannot believe that some people have said a bad word about this hotel. I could not fault this hotel at all, it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

The first day we arrived we walked into the huge lobby and were handed a glass of champagne. The staff were so helpful and friendly and we checked into our rooms immediately. The rooms were huge, they have 2 double beds and are absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are spotless, a maid cleans them everyday and makes a swan sculpture out of the towels - nice touch! The mini bar was always stocked, mainly with fruit juice and soft drinks but that is what you need after lying by the pool and drinking cocktails by the bar all day.

The pools were lovely, I think there were around 6 of them. The bars were also fantastic, the staff are very friendly and helpful, they also smile all day long which is so nice to see. The restaurants are lovely. The buffet restaurant has hundreds of different types of food to eat. As I am English I personally prefer to sit down and be served my meal so I liked the a la carte restaurants best. The one thing I would say is that whatever you eat in Mexico you generally do get a funny tummy so make sure you stock up on Imodium before you go ;-) The cocktails at the hotel are brilliant too, I wouldn't recommend the house wine - it was awful. If we fancied a glass of wine we tended to pay a few more pennies for it around £6 per bottle.

All in all this hotel was the best I have ever stayed in. The staff are friendly, the rooms are immaculate, the pools are great, the restaurants have everything you want, and there are plenty of bars in to have a good time.

If you are reading this review then you must be considering going to the hotel. Just go, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2005
26  Thank Slovakianbeauty
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Im a 15 year old female from Toronto, Canada and I stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum Club Diamond with my parents from June 24-July 1st. Ive been around the carribean before and stayed at some good resorts but this was by far the best. Great Service. Only problem was the beach bring water shoes, It was devistated i heard from the hurricane. But otherwise i totally recommend this resort. Club Diamond section even got free internet :D!

11  Thank soccerbum14
Vancouver
Reviewed July 5, 2006

This place was recommended by travel agent @ the mall, and all i can say is job well done. this was the first all inclusive for me and my wife. the resort itself on a scale of 1-10 was a 14!!!!, the grounds were well kept, getting to and from different locations of the resort was fast and easy. i am pretty sure you'll read about how wonderful the resort was from all the other reviews....so why repeat. but i can say, the people who work there definitely make you feel like you are on holidays and that as a resort...make you feel welcome.

the food was ok....we did the breakfast buffet in the morning....the good thing was they had your eggs made to order...have it which way/whatever way you want it....was great....but after awhile you do get tired of the buffet....just cause it was buffet. lots of fresh fruit and juices for you....and especially when it was hot....ate alot of it...drank alot of juices too. the dinners were ok, for the week, we were given 4 alcarte dinners. we chose the japanese, the chinese, italian and mediteranian..(check spelling!!)..all were ok, nothing special....but since your on holidays...you make the best of it...and it was ok. dinner buffets were probably bit better, but i think you have to check out the different buffets at the different spots of the resort, as they have different food item.

the entertainment was good. lots of energy! you can tell the performers enjoyed there jobs and loved to entertain. the michael jackson was excellent. cats show was good too!

they do have alot of actiivties such as stretch classes, aqua-aerobics, spanish lessons, spanish cooking....etc...we never made it to any of them....too busy doing other stuff and/or lying around the beach and the pool.

playa del carmen is a short trip away....there is a bus/ shuttle that picks you up infront of the resort....perfectly safe! and cheaper too! lots of shopping there, make sure you bargain.

Xe-ha was the best!...a definite must do....my advice is that it is an all dayer...don't do the 1/2 day at Tullum and 1/2 day at Xe-ha. you can take the same shuttle to Tullum...$2.00....and roam around there as you like.

make sure you tip, these people here make very little, and $2.00 doesn't mean alot to us....but means alot to them.

when you read other reviews....saying what a bad time they had...or lousey service, i really don't know what they are expecting......for me and my wife, we had the time of our life there...the resort was great, the weather was perfect, lots of things to do...and not do...but most of all.....the people there (both people who work there and the other guest)....made you feel great...and made sure you a good time!!!.....just a note also....no drunks...just people having a good time...

do wear sunscreen....most places they want you to wear bio degradable sunscreen...bring lots....bug spray....and water shoes!....we'll definitely go back!....hopefully soon!!!!

oh yeah....when you go to your ala-carte restaurants....you gotta wear pants!!!!...bummer!

30  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario
Reviewed July 2, 2006

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum in mid June for our honeymoon and well it was one of the worst check-in experiences I have encountered. I have travelled to Cuba and the Dominican and this was by far the worst experience. We arrived at the resort after a long bus ride (90 minutes) and had to wait for our room (as expected). We arrived at the resort at approx 1030 hrs and knew that check-in wasn't until 1500 hrs. Persons began arriving after us and started getting their rooms. I approached the front desk and was advised that it would be just twenty more minutes. It wasn't until 1700 hrs that we were able to get our room!

Secondly, we were informed by the booking agent to provide a copy of our marriage certificate for amenities. The certificate was just handed back to us and we were given the brush off.

Thirdly, when we went to our room, the maid still was in our room, and the mini bar was in the process of being stocked, even though check out time was 1200 hrs.

We also had booked a king sized bed in advance, but when we got there two double beds were put together, our room had an adjoining door (which was not requested), which did not allow for much privacy, and the air conditioning system was so loud...it was truly annoying.

It really cast a pall on the entire week. I didn't want to complain too much becuase I didn't want to sound like a rude tourist.

The rest of the week was good and the food was fine, but we were stil annoyed by our first day problems.

The wait staff in the buffett were really good though.

However, we will not be staying at this resort ever again!!!

Signed a disappointed honeymooner

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2006

This hotel is excellent. Located 80 minutes from Cancun airport (we were lucky to have no stops). It's insanely spread out and it has its own little "transit" system consisting of trams driven by club cars (it's similar to the backlot tour vehicles at Universal Studios Hollywood if you're familiar with that).. they drive around the main hotel paths with about a 10 minute frequency throughout the day and evening.
ROOMS:
A little too spread out .. I suggest email the hotel for any room near the Las Olas beach grill, it's a prime location. There is a tram stop nearby anyway I believe. Very clean and in good condition with nice towel art from the maids daily. Tip $2 and it will look extra nice! They also give you well-needed mosquito repellent samples (we wrote a message asking for more, with $2, and she gave us 6 more of them) .. the mosquitoes will absolutely attack you in the evenings if you don't wear some!
BEACH / POOL:
There are 3 decently placed pools, with the main pool being the biggest (but it's inconveniently placed from the main rooms and main beach).. the water is so warm, almost too hot! No problems finding a chair and palapa in the mid morning but then again we went during low season, late June. Beach is terrible in front of the main pool, just walk over to the broader area near the Akumal side and you'll be fine. Lots and lots of palapas and beach chairs, we felt no need to reserve (that is, if you don't mind sitting in the 2nd or 3rd row of palapas from the water). There it's a bit rocky but I didn't think water shoes were necessary so long as you bypassed the first 5-10 metres near the shore .. the rest is smooth with nice man-made rocks to sun yourselves on about 20m offshore. BRING A WATER CAMERA!!!!! there are so many colourful fish in the water. Even some harmless swordfish in the mid morning.
FOOD / BARS:
We didn't try the a-la-carte restaurants but why don't you all give it a try, reserve when you arrive. Yucatan buffet is wonderful, great variety, nice breeze in the dining room and a slightly air-conditioned buffet area, a band playing, and sensational ice sculptures in the buffet every evening. I didn't like the breakfast selection and there's always a lineup but for the rest of the day it's kind of OK .. the ice-cream machines are to die for! BEWARE of the caramel cake / flan (?) we saw the cook handling them with bare hands. Bars are so-so, VERY INCONVENIENTLY PLACED (no beach bar at the good side), not-so-friendly bartenders too. But I like the 24h snack bar.. oh yeah NOTICE TO MIDMORNING FLIGHT PASSENGERS visit the 24h snack bar on your last day because your bus leaves at so early for the return flight and you will be hungry (ours left 6AM) .. the snack bar allows you to take out plates of fries / nuggests / burgers, wrapped in aluminum foil. Because the buffets open too late for you to eat a proper meal before a morning return flight.
ENTERTAINMENT:
Wonderful shows, talented dancers, virtually no "sexy" contests where tourists are dragged up from the audience. Bingo before every show so arrive before 10pm. Actually the Akumal side has a 9pm show, and when that was over we would hop on the tram to the Tulum side for their 10pm show. (The Coba side had a 9:30 show but it had the best auditorium no doubt). Keep in mind there will be a lot of repeats between shows around the complex during your vacation .. but the quality is so high I didn't mind that much. Especially the Michael Jackson show, that is one not to miss!!!
STAFF:
OK here's the deal .. one day we had a cleaned room but no new towels. I called reception and they said "we're sending someone right away", and 20min later I'd just had it and stormed outside my room. Luckily I caught the maid coming down the stairs and she hadn't been informed of my situation (!!!!) .. but calmly gave me my towels. Many staff don't speak English besides the bartenders and reception and animacion staff so beware.
EXCURSIONS:
There is a 15-person minivan service (the "collectivo") to Playa Del Carmen for shopping .. stops on the highway outside the hotel. Highly recommend it, it's USD$2, a 25-50 minute ride depending on stops along the way. Please book tours in your hotel; we booked a sketchy low budget tour while in Playa Del Carmen and got a crappy minibus full of Spanish-speakers. Cheap ($40) but you get what you pay for! I say go to Xel-Ha / Tulum, it's close (but we didn't visit), Chichen Itza which was wonderful (but terribly hot), Xcaret if you want, and Cancun (USD$2 minibus to Playa Del Carmen, then comfy USD$3.40 coach bus from Playa Del Carmen to central Cancun, frequent departures, & takes a total of 2h).

Overall this is the best all-inclusive vacation I've ever been on and I strongly recommend this hotel.

37  Thank VTeight7
Toronto
Reviewed June 28, 2006

My girlfriend and I (21 and 23, respectively) stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Club Diamond. We were a little worried because we read all the reviews, and there seemed to be a lot of problems with the resort. (That coupled with the fact that we paid under C$800 all-in, made us think we were going to a cheap resort).

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The grounds are impeccable, the staff is beyond friendly, the beach is fine, the alcohol flows freely and the buffets are Bellagio-esque. From the stamping of its logo the ashtray sand, to the combing of the beach every morning, Bahia's forte is attention to detail. The staff says "Ola" to you when they don't have to, and they never make you feel like anything but a respected guest. The beach has some rocks on it, but the other reviewers need to relax, its not that bad. We didn't bring water shoes and spent half of each day in the ocean, no problem. Anyone who didn't enjoy their stay at this resort must have: 1) gotten food poisoning or 2) be impossible to please.

I highly suggest the Xel-ha snorkeling trip. It was one of the coolest things I've done this year. You don't need any expertise, just the curiousity to get in the water and swim with beautiful marine life. The Tulum ruins were cool, but unless you have a vested interest in Mayan culture, spend an entire day in Xel-ha instead. Playa de Carmen was OK, but the tourist area has become commercialized to the point where it is barely discernable from a large American strip mall, save the trinket vendors and the beach.

I highly suggest this resort to anyone looking for a fun time with family or significant other.

41  Thank A TripAdvisor Member