13,886 results
All reviewsdon pablohacienda sectiondiamond clubtequila restaurantsnack bara la carte restaurantsthomas cookfishgbp tulumbahia principe tulumtulum ruinsmain buffetdolphin poolshow tablebreakfast and lunchmain poolsmaller pool
Reviewed May 16, 2006

My family stayed at the Diamond Club in the Tulum area in March 2006 for two weeks. The ride from the airport to the hotel is 50 minutes, that if the bus is not dropping off other people from different hotels that then would be 90 minutes as we did it going back to the airport. There is nothing to look it going to the hotel. From the hotel to Playa de Carmen is 35 minutes. If you are going into town, I would recommend the shuttle vans outside the resort as it is only 20 pesos, which is around 2:00 US. Don't worry, it is very safe. A cab into Playa De Carmen is around 20.00 US and 30.oo US to get back, go figure.

On the first day, we have been moved twice as the first room was on the second floor, no view as there was a huge Palm tree in front of our balcony, second room the AC wasn't working properly. Our final room which was a junior suite which was not bad, but don't expect a suite as we see it. It is the same regular room but a little bigger. Our room back onto a huge mosquito infested area. I got bitten a least 30 times and I have tons of scars to prove it. We had to go into town three times and pick up repellent and that didn't even work.

The beaches are not great at that hotel, it is very rocky and sharp, please bring surf shoes, as my daughter cut her foot on the beach. Thje pool areas are very nice, but are not heated.

The best food was breakfast, it wasy good and hot. The food overall was not that good, . We could not get a decent HOT meal at dinner time. If you go, I would recommend you book your restaurants on the day of your arrival or you will be eating day and night at the buffets during your stay. The restaurant were alway booked, so don't expect to get what you want. The wait staff was wonderful, but I cannot say that about the main reception area where you book in. Once you politely complain, they try to do their best to please you. Once you turn your back on them, they starting talking about you behind your back in Spanish and then laughing at you. Unfortuntely, this happen with myself and some other vacationers in the lobby. Fortuntely I do understand Spanish and do not look Spanish at all, so I knew what they were saying about us vacationers. I did complain to the General Manager, but that didnt really get anywhere in the end.

I highly DO NOT recommend this hotel for families as there is not too much to do for children. My family and I travel four times a year and found this place one of the worst we stayed at, for kids to keep amused. The kids club was boring my daughter which is 8 yrs old, went to it for three days in the afternoon, did not want to go back as she told me all they did was watch TV or colour. We do this at home, why would a kids club do this whlie families are on vacation. My daughter loves the kids clubs when we travel. I can't get her away from them, this one, she had no desire.

Overall the Mayan Riveria is nice. Did, done it, won't be back.

Mary from Toronto, Canada

• Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank Mary L
Reviewed May 15, 2006

We just returned from our stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Talum. What a beautiful resort. The grounds are emaculit, the service was excellent, the food was YUMMY!! We took the all day excursion to ChiChen-Itza, OH MY GOD!!! whay an amazing site to behold. I was stopped in my tracks at the view of the Pyrimid. Our tour guide was so passionate about it and very knowlegable. The shows we saw were great. We saw the Micheal Jackson tribute. it was fantastic, we could not remain in our seats. Our room keeper(Marcelina)always left us with a vision when we returned. She would do the curtains up fancy, there was a character of some sort made of towels, and something fancy in the bathroom.
All in all we had a wonderful vacation and not only would we go back there, but we are planning it. If you go to the bar at Talum, there is a special waitress there, and if you happen to get her, you will want for nothing. Her name is Valia.

• Stayed: May 2006
19  Thank Melanie_Lisa2014
Reviewed May 14, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the BPT (Tulum) from Monday through Friday the second week of May. The trip was booked through Apple Vacations. They did a great job, no complaints in that regard. The trip in from the airport is a bit long and not at all scenic, but one should know that going in. A couple complaints: HARD bed, really, the hardest bed I've ever slept (or tried to sleep) on. My boyfriend and I ended up calling the bed THE TABLE, no exaggeration. Also, it was quite hot sleeping most nights, the room was not very cool. Not conducive to romance, if you get my drift. Apparently, there is a motion detector in the room which will shut down the electricity after a certain time when there is no movement in the room. One must get up and move about to get the power going again. The food is just average, at times not even that. Breakfast was by far the best meal. To be fair, we did not try any buffets other than the one at Tulum. There was lots of variety and lots of food, but it was just not tasty. Also, except for the frozen drinks (more on that later), I did not have anything really cold to drink the entire time. I did find the wait staff pretty attentive and they were most pleasant. Get to the beach or pool early in the morning to reserve the chairs of your choice. The pools are great and the bars are convenient. They have ready-made frozen daiquiris from machines of various flavors to which you can add as much rum as you like (no waiting for the bartender!). The mango daiquiris were my personal favorites. I had Bahama Mamas in several different locations, none were the same but all were good. To sum up, if you are looking for restful nights and great food, this is not the place to go. If you want beautiful surroundings and nice drinks, you should be happy (catch up on sleep by napping at the pool or beach)! One more caveat: perhaps I should have known, but I didn't....the plugs in the hotel room were only 2-prong of the same size, i.e., plugs with one side larger (which ALL seem to be these days!) will not work. I could not use my curling iron....

Stayed: May 2006
13  Thank StardustKid
Reviewed May 14, 2006

My husband and I went to GBP from April 21-28th. It was an average place.
we were happy just to have a vacation away from home for a week, so the relaxation and clearing our mind helped.
Our expectations were not what we expected, we've heard from a lot of other couples that Mayan Riviera is the place to go for total relaxation, beautiful beaches, it's more geared for honeymooners.
We went to Cancun six years ago and I would say overall Cancun was much better.
The two things that kind of turned us away from it is the beach for one, very rocky and lots of seaweed, the best beach to go to is "TULUM beach" we were there for a afternoon when we went on a excursion called "AQUATIC ADVENTURE" which we had a blast at, I highly recommend this to anyone who loves snorkeling, the places we went to were beautiful and the tour guide Luis a.k.a. Brad Pitt was great, he was very informative and kept us entertained.
Second the food at this hotel is good but average, we went to Coba for dinner most nights we found the food more fresh hot, and tasty. we did get food poisoning, it could of been that or the water.
My husband and I are not picky, but if we had a choice to go away again, we would go elsewhere for the reasons mentioned, other than that we were happy just to get away.
Good luck and Enjoy your vacation at GBP.

• Stayed: April 2006
10  Thank desousa11
Reviewed May 13, 2006

My wife and I (34 & 29) just returned from the BPT for a week stay April 29-May 6. Overall, we had a great vacation! It's rated a 5 star resort or 5 golden apples (out of 6).It wasn't 6 golden apples but the rating of 5 golden apples is definitely fair. We were a bit apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews and wondered if those complainers stayed at the same resort we did.

While in the U.S. we booked through Apple Vacations. The flight left on time and upon our arrival in Cancun we were met by an Apple Rep. and he directed us to our bus. Just say "no gracias" to the annoying baggage handlers. The ride was approximately 2 hours and we stopped at 4 resorts along the way before arriving at BPT. After seeing the entrances to the earlier resorts, we were pleasantly surprised that the BPT was the nicest of them all.

***(Here's a huge tip for people that are staying here regarding requesting a certain room). Don't bother e-mailing, I did 1 week before our trip like suggested in earlier reviews and didn't receive a response. Three days before our departure, my wife called the hotel directly and asked for the Front Desk Manager (Abemir Perez). She spoke with him and requested an ocean view room on the third floor with a king size bed close to the beach. Upon our arrival at 11AM, my wife asked for Abemir. He came out of his office and personally greeted us. He showed us a map of the resort and informed us that we will be staying in room 1126. However, the room wasn't ready yet so he gave us wristbands and directed us to the gym to change while our room was getting ready. We went to get some lunch and afterwards walked over to see where our room will be. Surprise, surprise exactly what we requested! 3rd floor corner room with a king size bed overlooking the ocean and close to everything!

At 12:30 PM our room was ready and a $10 tip was definitely in order since we got exactly what we wanted two and a half hours before check-in with the resort being fully booked. (Don’t worry, you won’t embarrass yourself tipping as mentioned in previous reviews, sometimes it’s necessary to get things done).We received our room keys, towel cards and safe key (FYI, we got it for free because we booked through Apple Vacations, otherwise its $5 a day) and made our a-la-carte reservations. Do this upon arrival because they do fill up quickly.

Room: Perhaps the biggest disappointment of the trip. Very basic but clean with a fully stocked mini-bar which they replaced everyday; No iron or ironing board; The TV didn't work; and three light bulbs were out upon our arrival. No worries, I called the front desk and a maintenance worker was knocking on the door 5 minutes later. He had a look at the problems, we left for the beach and upon our arrival everything was fixed. Second night into the trip the A/C wasn't working, another call to the front desk and in 15 minutes we had cool air. Fourth night in the A/C went out again @ 2AM, another call to the front desk and in 15 minutes we had cool air again. The room is of 3 star quality, however the quick service upheld me to still giving the resort 5 stars. We tipped the maid $2 everyday, she deserved it.

Grounds: Well kept, very clean and constantly manicured. Management puts a lot of effort into the external appearance of the resort.

Beach: Very nice however not the best we've seen. We traveled to many different islands before Dominican Rep 4 times, Cancun 2 times, Puerto Rico 2 times, Aruba, St. Martin and Curacao. In our opinion, Punta Cana (Paradisus) had the best beach. It is true that there is a lot of coral and you needed aqua shoes to go in the water in certain areas. The best piece of beach is in between the Akumal and Tulum but closer to the Akumal. There you can go in barefoot. If you don't like the beach, don't complain, just get up and walk over towards the Akumal! There was never a problem finding a beach chair anytime of day, they were very plentiful.

Pools: Very clean and well maintained. We didn't spend much time by the pools. We came for the beach and sound of the waves. The music was too loud by the pools and one can always lay by the pool at home.

Bars: Very good service. XX Equis on tap (bring an insulated mug). The main bar near the theatre had the widest selection of alcohol (top shelf included). Sometimes you had to wait a minute or two during busy times but what's the rush your on vacation? Tip a dollar here and there and the bar tenders will remember you and get you refills quickly.

Food: Overall, the food was very good and the service was also very good, neither of us
got sick and we ate a lot of different foods. We ate at the buffet every morning and some
dinners there also. No grounds for complaints here, there was something for everyone.
Gran Tortuga – very good-I had the T-bone and my wife had the NY strip. Tequila - just
good - We both had the beef fajitas, a bit disappointed that there weren't more
traditional Mexican dishes on the menu. Oriental-Excellent- My wife had the shrimp
tempura and I had the spicy stir fry.

Entertainment: Very Good. There was a band that played every night at 9 PM by the Tulum bar (not very good but an A for effort) and the shows started at 10 PM. It's not Broadway but decent by Mexican standards. Disco started at 10:30 PM, nasty smell inside and traditional Mexican song and dance at the Hacienda Dona Isabel (very impressive town square attended by all the guests of all three resorts). The Hacienda has many stores and shops where you can do all your shopping at reasonable prices without leaving the resort.

Excursions: We went to see the Tulum Ruins one morning.. Got on a collective right outside the resort, $2 each way and just let the driver know where you want to get off. After being dropped off, walk straight to the entrance $4.50 admission if you go on your own. There were guided tours for $35 including a short ride to the entrance, admission and a guide. The hotel tour operators wanted $50. We spent a little over 1 hr. as there is not much to see and can be covered in a relatively short amount of time. Bring your bathing suit, just past the ruins supposedly is the best beach in the Riviera Maya. It was very hot so go early in the morning before the crowds.
Xcaret- Well worth visiting, a must see. We paid $59, a bus picked us up and brought us back to the resort, went for only a half day 3:30-9:30 and regretted it. You need the entire day to appreciate this gift from God. There is so much to see and do. Float in an
underground river through caves, a tranquil gondola ride through the jungle and view various animals and marine life on display. Cap it off with a traditional Mexican show at 7 PM (I sound like an advertisement, lol).

In conclusion, we were very satisfied with the facilities and the service of the BPT. The greatest asset of this resort is the staff who work very hard to ensure that all guests have a pleasant stay. Bring a lot of singles and tip for good service. The employees don't make much and you won't miss the money.

We would definitely recommend this resort, however, we won't return only because there are so many other resorts that we want to visit. Don’t let the little things bother you and you’ll have a great time. I know it was a little long winded but wanted to return the favor of all the other people who wrote reviews. I hope it was informative!

• Stayed: May 2006