We booked this resort through a travel agency. The agency said that they appreciate feedback, so we sent them the following comments about this resort:
1. The resort conducted chemical pesticide spraying near us and near eating areas just before and during our cocktails/meals. My wife gagged. The pesticide smell remained with with us throughout two of our dinners.
2. We detected a strong smell of sewage during two of our cocktail hours.
3. Our room had power outages multiple times per day. Eventually we gave up resetting the time on our alarm clock since we knew it would go out again soon. Also, the time on the TV was incorrect.
4. Our TV remote did not work with the TV upon arrival. We called for it to be corrected, and they said they would be there at 8:00 AM (Tues). At 8:30 AM I had to call again, and they finally came - I didn't want to wait for them much longer.
5. On a day of light rain, we all went into the pool. I asked for a volleyball (they have a volleyball net), and was told to come back tomorrow when the girl that has the key the locked cabinet where the volleyball was would be back.
6. The Sports Bar is closed and being repaired.
7. The resort warned of a $ 100 assessment if two towel cards are not returned. These cards are continually exchanged for towels. Other resorts don't even use these cards, based on disussions I had with guests at other resorts.
8. The resort threatened a fee assessment if the plastic wrist band was damaged or lost.
Guests at other resorts claimed they didn't even need a wrist band.
9. The resort threatened a $ 100 fee if the safe deposit box key was lost. Guests at other resorts told me they use an electronic combination, so no key is even needed and there are no fee threats.
10. The deadbolt on our door didn't work.
11. Two of our parties had refrigerators that didn't work.
12. The thatched roofs in many of the common areas leaked, causing water to accumulate on slippery marble floors. We watched one guest fall on her butt. Much of the staff was devoted to squeeging the floors (versus servicing guests).
13.The resort's exchange desk sold pesos at 9.5, while you could get 10.4 to the dollar at the airport. The resort's exchange desk would not buy pesos back from one of us at the end of the trip. This exchange rate they give is a rip-off -excessive fee.
14. The distances between our rooms and the common areas were excessive. Much of our time was spent traveling to/from the common areas.
15. We had to walk 1/4 mile to get a cup of coffee in the morning. Guests at other resorts received room service and/or had coffee in the room. We had neither. Coffee is important to us first thing in the morning.
16. The food was very disappointing. Although the presentation was excellent, the taste and the choices were not.
17. The electrical outlets in the rooms required adaptors to recharge our Ipod. One of our parties had to buy one of these in the lobby shop.
18. The shuttle ride to/from the airport was excessively long. We spent four hours of our vacation traveling in crowded vans that arrived 15-30 minutes late from the scheduled departure time. You would expect the resort would be spectacular if you endured such a long ride, however it was the exact opposite.
19. The shuttle driver on the ride from the airport had a sign "We don't earn much, tips are an important source of our income". The cup was primed with a suggestive ten dollar bill for this all-inclusive vacation.
20. Three of us were on the third floor, with no elevators available.
21. The towel racks in the bathroom were installed waist level in front of the sink, so you had to reach past them to the sink faucet, which was already a stretch. The bathtub towel racks were eight feet high - my wife couldn't reach the towels.
22. It rained a few days, and the resort didn't have umbrellas for most guests. We were lucky and got one to use, which we returned.
23. The resort maps had print that was difficult to read.
24. The resort entertainment materials were incorrect - they listed Broadway Shows for Tuesday night, and when we went to see Broadway shows, they had a Lipsynch show.
25. All of the English materials in the resort literature were poorly written.
26. At this all-inclusive, they continually tried to sell us a $ 16 Thursday Mexican Fiesta, a party that provided you with all you could eat and drink. What's that all about ?
27. The service trucks use the same walkways that pedestrians use. When we were walking, the truck drivers were rude, nearly hitting us, and making us wait while they passed.
28. The bathrooms have no fans, mirrors continually got fogged up.
29. There is no internet access on the premises. We had to go to the plaza to access the internet, which was down much of the time, and when it was up, you could access for a fee.
30. Only two channels in English on the TV.
31. Paper-thin walls between the room. One of our parties had a story to tell.
32. We watched a 2 inch cockroach walk through the main lobby.
33. The "quiet" pool featured blasting, obnoxious music during our pool swims. Loud, pounding, single-note bass parts, versus the beautiful Latin music they could have played.
Again, this was the quiet pool.
34. We left the one show we tried to watch- a disappointment.
35. The show we tried to watch started twenty minutes late - 10:20 PM - a little late for us.
36. The telephone system didn't have voice-mail, so we couldn't leave voicemessages for each other.
37. The resort had one bartender servicing an extremely large, crowded room one evening - long waits. Long waits for maids to come around in bar to take drink orders.
38. Rude bartender the last day - I finally went up to bar and placed order - he made the drinks and, instead of giving them to me at the bar, put them on the side of the bar where the bar maid gets drinks, and made a head motion for me to walk around to the other side of the bar to get them. Intentional rudeness.
39. Maid didn't give us toilet paper. I went to maid and asked for toilet paper. He said he didn't have any. They brought us one roll five hours later. Good thing I brought a roll from home. Guests at other hotels tell me when they call for toilet paper, they get it delivered in minutes.
40. The ribs at the Las Olas snack bar had very, very little meat on them - they were very tough, and obviously very cheap.
41. During a cookout at the pool, you had to wait in a long line, and when I finally got to the front, they were out of chicken, and made no effort to get anymore. They simply say "no pollo", and that was it. These folks are very used to saying "no" to guests.
43. During this cookout, the meat about to be cooked was covered with a plastic hood that had a space for the cook to reach in. I observed about 100 flies in one of them around the meat about to be cooked.
44. I saw dead insects in the yogurt at the Las Olas, and they did not have butter for your toast in the morning (Friday).
45. The Las Olas ran out of french fries, and told me ten minutes. When I came back in ten minutes, they told me ten minutes again.
46. Our mattress was soft,and sagged in toward the middle.
47. The hotel lost our group reservation for dinner on Thursday evening.
48. One of our guests' rooms leaked water when it rained.
49. One of our guests was waiting for service in the hotel gift shop. Five clerks were available to help him but all ignored him for about 20 minutes.
50. The resort had loud drilling (very loud) around the breakfast area on Friday. Also, weedwacking, lawnmowers around the dining areas during dining hours.
51. A crew working on the ceiling in the main lobby ran an electrical cord across the floor at the main lobby entrance - a hazard.
52. There always was a line for you to wait in for an omelette. One morning all of the condiment bowls were empty for your omelette.
53. The shopping center is part of the resort. The prices at the shopping center are unbelievably high. A leather belt for $ 48US. My wife needed a small bottle of Vicks 44 - the smallest bottle - $ 9 US.
54. No room service is available at this resort.
55. The value of what we got seems very poor. I spoke to a guest who stayed at another resort - he paid less for seven nights (versus our five), and he got room service too !
56. The drinks at this resort are too weak. Even when one of us ordered a double, we got a weak single shot.
57. There were two main sections to this resort - the other section (Akumul) had a much more beautiful lobby and main pool.
I could continue, but as you can conclude, this resort was a disappointment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico