“great holiday (shame about the weather)”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
“great holiday (shame about the weather)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel was definitely in our view 5**** and the food was fantastic choice and everything. Room was cleaned every day. Everything was lovely and clean and the staff and people were so friendly. We went with Thomas Cook and the Rep in the Hotel called Stuart was Brilliant. The welcome meeting was fantastic so funny, helpful and informative. He was always there to help and advise and he was always so smiley! Everything was brilliant. Just a shame the weather didnt match up !!!!!!!! 1 day of full sunshine in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: 3 hotels in 1 but Tulum definitely had better adult night life. We had room 2414 and it over looked...
1 Thank Phil S
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Phil:

First of all thank you very much for your visit to the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Hotel and for taking the time to write your positive impressions. It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

The entire Grand Bahia Principe Tulum team is very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We would be delighted to welcome you again at the Riviera Maya!

Sending you my kindest regards,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, enjoy playing golf at our hotels on the Mayan Riviera.

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,230)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel was beautiful and very clean. The food was delicious and the staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Tulum area which was close to the beach. The rooms are spacious and have good facilities such as a free mini bar. The best restaurants we visited were Don Pablo, Arlequin and Le Gourmet

1 Thank Rachel M
Dear Rachel:

Thank you for the time you took to add your opinion at this website and for staying with us and we look forward to be able to welcome you back.

We are proud in creating memories that last a lifetime, give unforgettable experiences to our guests and pleased to see that we have reached our goal.

Have a wonderful day,

Didsbury, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a week long visit for a wedding nov 9-16, 2013.this was my 1st visit to Mexico & 1st stay in an all inclusive resort. My husband and I got our room through our RCI timeshare, and because of this we were considered "privileged" members and got fancier drinks, rides every where on the resort in a golf cart, free international phone calls at the privilege club lounge and 6 a la carts (instead of 3). The resort is nice, we stayed at Tulum. The grounds are well landscaped, the beach is BEAUTIFUL white sand, warm water. Our villa was nice, clean, tidy, in good shape. The food at the resort was pretty good I thought. We ate at the buffets at all three resorts, the food was the same. for a la carts we ate at Don Pablo, it was good, the service was excellent, and the meal was very relaxing. We ate at Arlequin, it was soo good! I had the couscous salad, shrimp and chocolate cake...I wanted to lick the plate at the end! We ate at the Grande Tortuga, it was good, but a little too much meat for me, and the waiters seemed a little haired. We ate at the Mexican restaurant, but we were very disappointed, the food was bland, dried out and not good at all. I don't understand why this resort, that is otherwise excellent, can't pull off good mexican in Mexico.The only complaint I have about the resort is that booking the a la carte restaurants was a major ordeal and we almost gave up. Having said all of this, I am not sure if I would go back, sitting on the beach & eating and drinking all day are not really my thing. I prefer to be very active and do a lot of sight seeing on my holiday. We rented a car and went to Tulum, visited Chichen Itza, Tulum ruins, went scuba diving and snorkelling in nearby Cenotes. The location of this resort is excellent for nearby things to do. If you don't rent a car, you could easily take a Collectivo (stop is just outside the resort), or a taxi to the nearby sights and rent a car right at the resort to go to Chichen Itza. We stopped in Valladolid for a nice lunch on the square on out way home from Chichen Itza.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa H
Dear Lisa:

Thank you for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers. We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you. Your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services whit other hotels.

We hope that you will not hesitate in returning in the near future and we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all again.

Warmest Regards,

Wendy García,
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had read so many great things about this resort and really was expecting more.

Upon arriving at the airport we met up with an Air Canada Vacations rep fro Best Day Travel. After them asking us 3 times if we were with the wedding group and us stating no we were not someone escorted us to a large coach bus. It was apparent they were much more interested in the large group. It then took us almost 2 hours to get to the resort with one quick stop at a convenience store because they did not stock enough beer for the group. The orientation the next day wasn't great - their main purpose was to sell excursions and they gave us absolutely no information about the hotel. When we asked about booking restaurants they said that our AC rep would talk to us about all of this - he did not - we have had much better Air Canada Vacation reps on our other vacations.

Checkin was relatively smooth and quick however the check-in agent told us we were staying in one area of the hotel (beachfront) which we were not. All of the very few beachfront rooms are all under construction - so if you are traveling there soon don't expect beach/pool front accommodations. I will say though that the construction crew seem to be working diligently to get the rooms refurbished.

We stayed in Villa 33507 which was a close walk to the beach and to the main lobby, restaurant, lounge area. I had upgraded to a junior suite but it really wasn't worth it. It had a king bed, table with 2 chairs and a bench sitting area and was on the main level. I think this was the 1st vacation where we didn't make use of balcony - too overrun with bugs - perhaps because there was a shrub bush right up to the balcony and plastic uncomfortable $5.00 chairs/table.

The bar fridge - the resorts idea of stocking their bar fridge was 2 beer, 1 coke, 1 diet coke and 1 orange pop. There was also a small bottle of tequila that once emptied they did not replenish. One day they completely missed replenishing anything and when they did come the next day I was in the room and they were only going to leave 1 beer?? Not adequate when in other resorts we stayed in in Mexico and elsewhere there was a great selection of beer, hard liquor, pop and munchies.

They provide blue beach towels for you in the room - don't try to ask to get an extra one from the fellow at the pool - he won't give you one unless you turn in one. You get 2 white bath towels and 2 hand towels in the bathroom that were not always replenished even when you left the wet dirty ones on the floor as they say to do when you want fresh ones. The bathroom is small and the ceiling of our shower had black mold growing on it. The shower in our room was broken and we didn't discover this until just before wanting to shower before dinner on day 1. My husband used a straw from the room to keep the shower head from falling down. Mtce showed up during my shower and we asked that they return the next day - they never did come back.

We had small worms crawling in the room every day and they indicated that they would spray the floor to prevent this but it didn't help if they did in fact do this.

The beds are unbelievably hard - we couldn't wait to get home to our own bed.

One morning at 5am we were woken up by someone tampering with our lock on our door. When my husband got up to see what was going on - it turned out it was a maintenance worker doing something to our lock - the next day our keys wouldn't work and they had to replace the batteries ….really repair work at 5am!!

Unfortunately it rained for 2 days - however umbrellas were provided to the guests which was great. What wasn't so great is that one night I wanted to get a ride on the trolley service. When I showed one driver my room # he told me to go to another trolley. I showed the driver my room and he said no your room is not 33507 - we drop the 1st 3 so your room is 3507 and took me to a completely different area of the resort to where I ended up walking back to the main lobby area and getting soaking wet. Not good when your staff don't understand the makeup of the resort.

We also paid for internet for 7 days - don't bother. After 2 days of trying to get through to the internet support extension (constant busy signal) we gave up and went to check-in who put us right through and we asked for our money back. There is free lobby internet but the signal is weak and good luck trying to find somewhere to sit in the lobby.

We finally gave up reporting our issues as when you call the front desk you get transferred several times until you get someone that can semi-understand your issue. One day I went up to ask the front desk clerk where the Bahia Spa was - she didn't know, asked her colleague and he referred us to a desk in the lobby….come on!!

And the most annoying thing of all. Stay away from the desk in front of the area where you book your ala carte restaurant choices. They will answer your questions but not without trying to get you to take part in a "no pressure, not a time share" breakfast to see their privilege rooms - of course you will get a free gift to do so. We signed up and then decided we weren't interested in this and tried to cancel with the front desk who indicated just don't show up so we didn't. Every day of our trip the rep pestered us to change our mind. BEWARE - as others have said don't get conned into this - it's not 1 1/2 hours but 3+ hours. Thank goodness we didn't go!

We booked with 3 restaurants - Mediterranean, Pescador (Seafood) and Don Pablo. I would definitely recommend Pescador and Don Pablo - they were both excellent and didn't have recycled food from the buffet like the Mediterranean one did. I also went to use the washroom in the Mediterranean restaurant after dinner - there were 2 maintenance workers in it and water was pouring down from the ceiling onto the door, floor and the walls. There was also a lot of black mold everywhere growing on the ceiling.

The buffet - it was your average to pretty good. The wine they serve as house wine is terrible though. We purchased wine each night we ate at the buffet. The wine in the restaurants though was decent.

As mentioned above this property is very large and they seem to be expanding. The service could have been better and it seems that the bigger they get the harder it will be for them to really offer what I think some are expecting. I found the service with a few exceptions to be quite slow but those that do work there work hard and are pleasant enough.

We likely won't return to this resort - although it has beautiful grounds we really are looking for the added extras that we didn't get when visiting other resorts in the Caribbean. I wouldn't say we wouldn't try another Bahia property but my husband was really turned off by the sales pitch they tried to pull. We feel that if a resort is as good as they say they are and deliver there is no need for being pressured into becoming a return customer.

4 Thank starflight08
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor of your stay with us. I would like to apologize for situation described referring the service, as a company we greatly value the feedback which we receive from our guests as we constantly strive to maintain consistently high standard of service.

Those concerns brought to our attention by you will be clearly discussed with the responsibles department officers to not only identify but react and resolve such matter.

We will very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future to restore the confidence in our chain.

Best Regards

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Let me start by saying that my boyfriend and I actually really enjoyed the resort because the food was good and the staff was pleasant. My boyfriend and I were desperate for an all-inclusive getaway to the beach and absolutely loved the amenities at the resort. What they really failed on was the lack of liquor and the hard sell on buying the Privilege Club. Needless to say, we got fooled into buying it with their "fantastic special" and the basis that our membership would get us a weekly preferential rate of $199 at all Bahia Principe resorts, with the exception of the private island of Cayo Levantado. We reconfirmed at least twice before signing up, thinking that this was really a great special and we were stupid enough to let our guards down. That's what happens when you're too relaxed. Having a funny feeling about it afterwards, I did some research upon returning home and found that none of it was true. We were too late to get the much needed help from their government, but we were able to cancel it after much frustration and back/forth with their help department in Florida. And by the way, the so called home company in Panama doesn't even exist. We sent them a letter which was returned and labeled as unknown after a month. We couldn't find any records of that mother company either. Shame on them! Save yourself the headache and stay away from anyone trying to sell you anything while there. Enjoy the resort but stay away from any sales staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BklnGirl
PrivilegeClub, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear BklnGirl,

On behalf of Bahia Principe Privilege Club we extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences endured during your vacations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, and your overall experience with the Club's representatives.

We assure you your comments will allow the Club the opportunity to improve its services, products and human resources.

On the other are happy to hear you and your boyfriend enjoyed the resort as well as its amenities and that you found the food and the staff to be pleasant.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and allowing us the chance to respond to your concern.

Best regards,

Stephany Tavarez
Customer Service
Bahia Principe Privilege Club
Alliston, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We just got back a few days ago and LOVED it! Check -in went very smoothly and by the time we got to our room a man was already waiting with our luggage. The staff was wonderful our whole stay. Food was great, rained a lot but there was lots of activities going on. It was VERY VERY slippery however everywhere when it rained. kind of out of their control though. The staff was always mopping up areas. i found everything very clean. The only downfall was the beds were very hard and you could hear everyone else in their rooms. The resort is HUGE!!! the trolleys were always going to there wasn't much waiting to get from place to place. Had no trouble as all staff knew alot of english. The beach is beautiful. BUSY though. long waits at the bars sometimes, but tons of bars to choose from. The shows were great! overall a wonderful experience. Would defiantly recommend this place and would go back in a heartbeat.

2 Thank Kerry M
Dear Kerry:

It sounds great that you had enjoyed yourselves during your visit to Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort and that you had left behind for a while the bustle of everyday life.

Being a three hotel complex gives Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort the opportunity to have several options to offer to our guests. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the food and service.

We look forward to your return to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum.

Warmest Regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We chose this hotel on Trip Advisors ratings but were so disappointed.

The hotel just caters for the masses….numbers bandied about were between 7.500 & 8.500 people at any one time across the 3 hotels..the site is massive.

Food in the buffets and snack bars was not bad but definitely nowhere near good.

Was impossible to get bookings at the restaurants of our choice,even though we were flexible and would have eaten at 6.30 or 9.30 pm and the attitude was indifferent and impersonal - they did not care…we returned one booking as we were to be out on a trip and they offered us nothing as a replacement. The management of this process is dire.

Room service was hit and miss…rooms were cleaned well enough, but if you got 2 cups and saucers then there was no coffee …if you got coffee there was no creamer etc etc
Beds were old and sagged in the middle ..( have had a bad back since coming back ).

Rarely were clean beach towels available.

Wifi was a joke …..dont go there.

On a personal note the dolphin pool that houses 5 dolphins is smaller than the swimming pool…..i am no mad animal rights supporter but its grim …and 2 were taken from the sea …at least 3 of them were born in captivity and know no difference.

Our advice is take breakfast & Lunch at the Tequila Restaurant …Alfonso and the team are the best thing about this place.

We will not go back ...

2 Thank susanjbres
Dear Susan:

First of all thank you very much for staying in the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum and taking the time to write your impressions and suggestions, to improve the service we are offering.

It is our priority to provide excellent customer service throughout the entire stay and be ensured we will be discussing your concerns with all the responsible department officers to not only identify but react and resolve such matters.

We will very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future to restore the confidence in our chain by writing us a mail of your requests and wishes a few weeks before arrival and it will be our pleasure to help you in the best possible way.

Best Regards

Wendy García Barajas
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,571 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!