$517
$504
Hotels.com
Grand Bahia Principe Coba(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$285
BahiaPrincipe
  • Pool
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$149
$145
$141
Travelocity
$389
Hotel Que Onda(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$59
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
13,341 results
All reviewsdon pablodiamond clubhacienda sectiontequila restaurantsnack bara la carte restaurantsthomas cookfishgbp tulumbahia principe tulumtulum ruinsmain buffetdolphin poolbreakfast and lunchshow tablemain poolsmaller pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We visited this resort in Nov 2013. Just got back! Very friendly staff, regardless if you tipped them or not! Everything was spotless, from the Restaurants, to the rooms, to the Lobby Bar. The seats in the chairs in the lobby are in need of cleaning or replacing.The main problem is the Snack Bar area, as there are quite a lot of birds flying around. Most people just get up and leave their plates on the table and all the birds need is one quick second to arrive for the leftovers! I made the mistake of not checking my chair for bird poop and sure enough, there was some on the back of my chair, which was then on the back of my shirt! Not the resort's fault, but the fault of the guests leaving their plate with leftovers to attract the birds! The wait staff were pretty quick to clear the tables, but all that's needed is a couple of seconds for the birds to arrive. I brought my plates up to the table clearing trolley.Check your chair before sitting down!!

Food was pretty good at the snack bar, Buffet was so so - typical Buffet food. Big variety but pretty much the same thing every day. Don Pablo messed up our reservations, but found us a table. The food there was pretty good. The Arlequin had good food as well. Small portions, but tastey.

The trollies that bring people around were plentiful. They would almost always stop and ask if you wanted a lift to the lobby or to your room (or close to it). You could also use them to get from one resort to the other. Some people found them annoying, but they didn't bother me at all. Especially at night. In our room, with the door closed, you couldn't hear them (Villa 336, 2nd floor). I preferred them driving people to their rooms rather than hearing a group of drunk people wandering around, which happened one night.

Our room was cleaned extremely well every day. You can definitely trust all the staff at the resort! A couple of people in our group went back to their rooms and found their door open, but nothing missing - some of the doors took more of a tug to latch them properly. Also, the day before checking our, I had my final bill to pay, and I had a 500 peso bill with it. I forgot it our room (Javier was in there cleaning when I left) and when I returned several hours later, it was still there. I had also left some small change lying around, just because I didn't want to be bothered with the change, and it was always still right where I left it. Very trustworthy staff! There is a swamp behind our villa, so there was a musty smell some days, depending on the wind and how much it rained I guess. Not a big deal. Clothes tended to stay pretty damp, so I think it's best to leave your closet doors open to let the air circulate?

Drinks at the Lobby Bar were always quite good and the staff friendly. One time they didn't have any white wine, so the hostess brought me a sparkling wine instead. She knew by my face I wasn't happy with it, but I didn't complain. It's not her fault! She shortly re-appeared and brought me my white wine, which had just been replaced. Very thoughtful.

The free WiFi in the lobby was spotty, but I didn't care. Nothing that important that couldn't wait! I'm on holiday! Apparently the WiFi in the lobby in GBP-Coba doesn't have issues.

I'll post our excursion reviews in the proper categories. Playa del Carmen on own, Akumal on our own, Go Natural trips via Best Day were Tulum Ruins/Akumal snorkeling, and Chichen Itza Ruins.

Overall, we had a great time! Oh, and it's important to attend the meeting that Westjet (or whatever your airline is) has to find out lots of important information. Do not miss this! It's not just a sales pitch for excursions or timeshares. Which reminds me, I was only approached once by a timeshare person, and if you're polite to them, they will be polite to you and respect your "No Gracias".

Room Tip: I don't think there are many rooms that have Oceanview, if any. I would think rooms on the lower floors would be noisier. We were on the 2nd floor and were pleased with it. Not noisy at all.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NorthernSpirit
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Dear TripAdvisor Member:

The nice notes like the one you kindly posted on the Trip Advisor webpage are very appreciated by us. Thank you for taking some time to express your impressions during your stay at the Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort.

We appreciate that you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the variety of food in all the restaurants.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back for a second stay at your home at the Mexican Caribbean. We will make sure your stay is nothing else but a fantastic experience again.

Best Regards

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, enjoy playing golf at our hotels on the Mayan Riviera.

Wendy García

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed from 29th Oct to 12th Nov 2013. The only down side we found at this hotel was that we had to come home. It offered everything that we wanted from a holiday. The hotel is great and offers something for all age ranges.
We stayed in the Hacienda section room 3913 at Tulum. The room was cleaned every day to a high standard so a big thank you to our maid Patricia who never failed to have a smile on her face.
We arrived late in the evening after a long day so it was great not to have to worry about sorting luggage as the Bell Boys do a great job in getting it from the coach to your rooms.
A large King size bed ensured a good nights sleep meaning we were ready to enjoy all the the Gran Bahia had to offer from that first morning.
The food is good and plentiful even the buffet restaurants serve a high standard. Though I would recommend you make full use of the a la carte restaurants. The service and food in these is of the highest standard. Our favourite two being the Tequila and the Don Pablo.
Being accommodated in the Hacienda section we were able to use the Tequila restaurant for our breakfast. This was a great way to start the day. I have never been served by more polite and helpful waiters anywhere before. A special mention must go to Alfredo. From introducing himself on our first day he never forgot one of our parties names or what drinks they required. Always cheerful he was our own little ray of sunshine to start the day off.
Though the Bahia is quite a large complex it is very easy to get around. Everything is well sign posted and the little road trains are never more than a 10 minute wait away, not sure we're to get off just tell the driver and he will stop were you need to be.
If you are visiting the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum in the near future you are in for a great holiday.
Thank you to all the staff who made us feel so welcome during our two week stay.

4  Thank Maltbywhite

Dear TripAdvisor Member:

We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you. Your generous words are greatly appreciated as we are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

Being a three hotel complex gives Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort the opportunity to have several options to offer to our guests. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the food and the activities. We are proud in creating memories that last a lifetime, give unforgettable experiences to our guests and pleased to see that we have reached our goal.

You can be assured that we look forward to welcoming you “back home” where your Mexican family awaits you.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Everything was just OK. No !WOW! factor with anything. Room was really good but AC didn't work very well. Thank god for the ceiling fan. Entertainment is generally mediocre, repetetive, and dry. The fire show in Hacienda was the best show by far. MJ show was OK. The common areas were noisy and busy, and the service was slow in buffets except for the odd server who took an interest. Left places a couple times because we were not noticed for over 20 mins and people were frequently chasing servers down for attention. Beaches are horrible. Stories about the rocks on the beach are all true...do not run them, walk them at night, or swim in ocean without water shoes!! Food was good at buffets and restaurants with lots of options and good quality, but disappointed that many people pre-booked a la cartes and frequently never showed for their reservations. I wasn't in one restaurant during my 2 week stay that was more than 50% full, despite being told they were fully booked. There is absolutely no enforcement of "the restaurant dress code". Seemed to me this resort caters to large groups and weddings? The resort itself is quite isolated, it is a 1-1.5 hr walk to the north on the beach to get to Akumel, which is worth the walk to snorkel with the turtles. You need transport to get anywhere else. The resort markets and stores all gouge on their prices, and there is no bargaining on anything on the resort. All the store attendents are workers only with no authority, and there is zero haggling. Buy your booze in the airport on the way out, you won't find much better prices and it's way more convenient. The best and quietest beach is the one in front of Hacienda, ..the private beach,...and is the farthest one to the north. The wave breakers in front of Tulum are the most unsightly things I've ever seen. The place is really clean for size, the architecture and venues are interesting and picturesque. I think there are diminishing returns on the vacation experience and service as resort size increases. This is one of the biggest resorts I've been in, with rooms in the 10,000's. I see now why they have buses and golf carts running non-stop to get people from place to place. Don't get run over, I can see how it it can happen as pedestrians do not have the right of way! If you want a quiet holiday, great beaches, and good access to the local culture and businesses, this is not the place to go.

2  Thank Kevin F

Dear Kevin:

Thank you for giving us your feedback about the time you had at the Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort and the activities that you had enjoyed. I believe that your suggestions will be very useful for other readers.

We are concerned to learn about your experience and are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations of a five star hotel.

Please be sure that we keep on working to improve our services and trust you will allow us another chance to restore all your confidence in Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts.

I do look for the opportunity to welcome you back again to this hotel,

Wishing you the best,

Wendy García

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Just returned from a glorious 10 days at the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum resort in the diamond/hacienda club. The staff was incredible from the housekeeper (Rosa--who had the most beautiful smile whenever you saw her and made lovely towel art), to the diamond club staff (Mariano, who went out of his way to be helpful and gracious with infinite patience; Raphael C., who made things happen if you told him of the slightest problem, and all the others whose names I didn't get) to Liz at the pool bar with great service and a glowing smile, Tony the Tiger at the main lobby who helped us in so many ways, big and small and Jose Luis in the Privilege Club. We encountered so many wonderful and helpful people. It was truly a pleasure. Our room was immaculately clean, the grounds are lovely, the transportation system was convenient and timely and, in general, we were very pleased. The buffet food is about what you would expect--sometimes a step above and the a la carte restaurants ran from good to excellent. Our two favorites were Le Gourmet at Coba and La Dolce Vita at Akumal.

This was our second visit to the Bahia complex as we stayed in the Akumal golden section 3 years ago. We liked having a separate larger pool in the Tulum diamond club which was better than the small pool in the Akumal golden section.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely be coming back.

By the way--don't be scared off by reviewers' mention of the "timeshare sales people". They are promoting a vacation club and are very gracious if you smile and tell them "no thank you" or "I've already previewed". In fact, we had several of them apologize for asking us.

Aside from the lovely resort complex, the Akumal area is wonderful for snorkeling and seeing a bit of Mexico. Don't miss either!

Room Tip: We had top floor corner rooms on both our visits. There are stairs to climb but we liked being slightly away from the other guests.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jckwixom
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member:

We fell so happy to read that you have enjoyed yourselves and that you took the opportunity to admire the natural surroundings of the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Resort.

We would like to thank you for your positive review about our services and for recommending our resort, it is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our resort next year for your third visit.

Please write us a little message before your next visit and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I are just back from spending 10 days here. I was celebrating my 30th birthday and thought this place looked lovely. It was very beautiful but didnt feel like my birthday :(
When we checked in,we were given silver bands..no explaination of what that meant?! We visited Coba on the 3rd day and was told they were good bands. We were staying in room 4421 which was in the Hacienda Club,this meant we had a small check out area and bar and also 4 meal reservations to make,but like i said we werent told.
We booked at 3 resturants,Meditteraneo,Arelquin & La Tortuga. All nice resturants but Arlequin was my favourite,fab food and friendly staff. A La Carte places have a dress code,men to wear smart trousers and shirt with sleeves yet at the other 2,people were dressed in shorts and tshirts?!
The view from our room was lovely,overlooking the beach and we had the same pack of Racoons visit the Club Diamond each night,so cute!
The room itself was ok,nice and big with good amentities. We had a bowl of fruit which wasnt restocked,mini bar had 1 bag of snacks for 2 people but drinks were kept topped up. On the 2nd night however,whether too much Tequila or change in food ;) i fell ill and vomitted in the middle of the night,for the remainder of our stay,the vomit was never cleaned from the floor and the floor was never swept,also each day we got dirty towels,we increased our tip daily to see if we got better service but no :(
The weather was HOT and there were plenty pools and sunbeds on the beach for everyone,beach was clean and staff were friendly. My only complaint about the beach is the guys selling the Water Sports...i dont like to be asked if i want drugs on a private resort and also have to watch/listen to a drug deal going on when im relaxing at the beach.
We did go snokerlling which meant we saw loads of fish and also hired jet skis,the guys hiring those out were great,always checking on you when your out to sea.
Overall i had a good holiday but just wish id got something abit more special for my birthday. Nice hotel with a few flaws but would probably go back

5  Thank Misshellcat

Dear TripAdvisor Member:

Thank you for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers. We appreciate that you took the time to remember us.

The fact that we continue to receive positive reviews from our guests is proof of our commitment to consistent and quality service.

As we love to receive the positive comments, we also are taking notes about the things that we can improve and make it better for our guests.

It would be our pleasure to host you again.
Warm regards,