“amazing holiday !!!”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
staffordshire
“amazing holiday !!!”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

this holiday was planned to celebrate my birthday so I chose where we were all going (15 of us) and seen as none of us had been to mexico before seemed like an ideal coice.i was a little apprehensive that it would be ok but I needn't have worried at all it was exactly what we thought it would be and more.the hotel is fab,the staff were fab infact it was truly fab all round.the hotel grounds are kept immaculately clean by a lot of hard working gardeners,the rooms are spotless and if we had any issues at all they were sorted we had to move rooms as they had put us on a second floor and my husband has trouble climbing stairs but it was done with ease and we then had a beachfront room(block 67)the food was amazing and the gourmet restaurants are a must to visit.
the hotel complex is big having buggies to transport you to which ever area you needed to be at and these were actually a god send for us.the beach was nice but the sea been a little rough and lots of rocks as you entered the water but once you were in and swimming they had no effect on us.
I would and already have recommended this hotel to family and friends a really brilliant holiday.

Room Tip: request room blocks starting 65,66 67 all on the beach
1 Thank deb29
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member:

First of all thank you very much for your visit to the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Hotel and for taking the time to write your positive impressions.

It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

The entire Grand Bahia Principe Tulum team is very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We would be delighted to welcome you again at the Riviera Maya!

Sending you my kindest regards,

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,282)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
englamd
Reviewed November 8, 2013

what can i say tulum says it all from start to finish the best holiday ever the hotel is brillant the food amazing the rooms beautiful really is 5* nothing is to much trouble the staff did look stressed some times but they work very hard everyone from the room cleaners to gardeners it rained a couple of days and the entertainment staff did put on games to entertain us the drinks are branded the food was amazing there is some thing for everyone the al acartes were brilliant the brazilian was the best for us we booked twice had no problems booking any of them we went on the pirate ship in cancum that was a night to remember entertained from start to finish we spent most of are time between the ackamel and tulum only went up to the coba once but in are opinion tulum was the better close to pools lobby beach we were in rooms 4424 and 4424 all i can say is you will be glad you booked and are group will definitly be going back

3 Thank brokenhearted
Dear TripAdvisor Member:

We are glad to know that Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort was a good host during your vacation.

Thank you for giving us your nice feedback about the time you had here and the activities that you had enjoyed. I believe that your suggestions will be very useful for other readers.

We do look for the opportunity to welcome you back again to your second home at the Mexican Caribbean.

Regards

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, enjoy playing golf at our hotels on the Mayan Riviera.

Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Well let me start by saying that we have been visiting the Gran Bahia Principe Resort on the Riviera Maya for the past 12 years and have seen many changes, both good and bad.

We just returned from the resort after staying at both the Tulum and the Sian Ka'an hotels, on three different occasions over the last 8 weeks. These visits now bring our total visits to this resort to 41.

Over the course of our visits, we have made many wonderful friends. Our friendships continue to grow with each visit and we often see them outside of the resort.

Having said this, you can see that we have developed a special relationship with many employees as well as the resort. We have enjoyed many privileges over the course of the years as a result.

This year we saw many changes in staff from the top down. Surprising changes, however perhaps in the long run they will be good for all. Unfortunately, many do not like changes but many are taking a positive outlook and continuing with their employment. Others were not so fortunate.

On this note, it seems that perhaps the hotel with their purge of employee is also purging services. Many are unseen by the average one-time visitor, but the repetitive quests (and there are many) have noticed the changes and have voiced their concern to those remaining.

Of course, those VIP quests will have to decide whether to return to the resort for any continued relationships with their friends and enjoy the resort for the obvious....it is paradise.....or to choose an alternate location.
Having said all this, portions of the resort on many aspects are very 'tired'. The Tulum especially is in need of some repairs. That is not to say they are not doing any repairs, however it seems the owners are directing their funds to other 'necessities'. Such as the addition of 3 or 4 additional villas at Tulum. I believe they or some of them, will be opening in Nov or Dec, just in time for high season. The original rooms need more revamping and this is to include the air conditioning. The AC has been below average for many years on the Tulum side.

This resort has FOUR hotels. The Tulum and Akumal which are basically on the sea with many villas having a sea view. The Coba is not on the beach and you need to take a 'tram' if you wish to see the sea. The Sian Ka'an is across the highway with the beautiful Golf Course and that too has no beach access without taking up to 30 minutes (depending on the wait time) to travel to the water/beach. I believe there are approximately 2800 rooms in total...that would put the population of guests at the resort at around 7000+.

It has grown over the years but now with more and more guests accommodations, there are no additional beaches. When it is at full occupation, the beaches and pools are packed and guests almost fight over a palapa and/or beach chairs.

Anyway, I am sure most of you know about the hotel. It is a wonderful location, the employees are the best I have experienced...very professional and courteous....the food in the buffet is plentiful (not sure how anyone can say there isn't enough choices!) and the a la carte restaurants are very good. Of course, we all have our favorites...ours being the Don Pablo, Le Gourmet, and the Mikado.

We love the Tulum, others love the Akumal or the Coba or the Sian Ka'an. We all have our reasons and that's wonderful.

Even though we love this place, I just wanted to say some things that aren't so rosy. I know there are probably better places in the Mayan Riviera, but we have chosen this for many reason...mainly the people. But like I say, things have changed..good or bad, it happened.

We will have to see which direction these changes and probably additional ones in the future, take the hotel for the VIP guests.

(I have rated Excellent, but should be between Very Good and Excellent!)

Room Tip: For a good room, choose anywhere, for a GREAT room try to get a sea-view room, Top Floor.
11 Thank CookyM-G
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Cook & Ms. Cook:

The nice notes like the one you kindly posted on the Trip Advisor webpage are very appreciated by us. Thank you for taking some time to express your impressions and for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers.

We are always honored to have the opportunity to serve you. Your comments are very important to maintain the quality and service in the Grand Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort and it is guests like you who provide us with feedback in order to improve our performance on a daily basics.

We all are looking forward to welcome you, your family and your friends for your next visit at your second home at the Mexican Caribbean.

Warm regards,

Wendy García,
Rosedale, NY
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Spent 6 days at this beautiful resort. The place is huge but they have little carts that take you from place to place. The food at the buffet was great - something diffrent every day at every meal. We went there to celebrate my mom's birthday and she had a great time. We did have one little incident at Tequila restaurant, our waiter (Pascual) apparently didn't think that latins deserve the same treatment as the Europeans/other white guests at the resort, which upset her so much that she complained to one of the managers. The manager, Luis Conpan, more than made up for the incident by having the mariachis sing happy birthday to my mother at the buffet restaurant and giving her a bottle of champagne! That really topped off the vacation for her! And she would not talk about anything else for the rest of the trip. Would also like to give kudos to the other gentleman who was so kind to her (I wish I could remember his name!) he even danced with her. Entertainment was also very nice, the group by the pool was great, especially Kenya - she made us laugh so much and is such a nice young lady.

Only complaint was that we had a leak in the ceiling and took several phone calls before someone came to take a look.

Comment to management would be that they should train the staff to treat everyone equally as we all pay for the services at the resort. Would have given it 5* if it wasn't for this.

All in all, we had a great time and would visit this resort again and would recommend to anyone that would like to visit Tulum!

1 Thank Janet1960Rosedale_NY
Dear Janet:

On behalf of the entire Grand Bahia Principe Tulum team I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We are honored that you have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination and pleased to hear that you had a good time during your recent visit to the Riviera Maya.

Looking forward to welcome you back!

Receive our warm regards,

northeast
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

We travelled here for two weeks , was amazing ! I was a tad anxious after reading mixed reviews , needn't have worried at all ! We stayed in block 44 really handy for the Diamond Lobby(early coffee /free wifi)plus the golf cart to get you around the enormous complex which was great , never felt crowded. The pools were well kept we could always find beds.
The buffet was great, can't believe some people have moaned about the food ! The choice on offer was fabulous. I emailed 2 weeks before travelling for our a la cartes , got all I asked for . We ate at Don Pablo -Beautiful. Mikado (show table)- Fantastic. Grand Toruga - Steak Fest. Mediterranean - ok. Italian - Wonderful . We did book Tequlia but was so relaxed completely forgot what day/date we were on & missed it ! Did ring & apologised. We ate mostly breakfast & lunch in the Tequlia rest. Gonzalas, Alfredo, Lourdes, Gabriel plus the others made our holiday. Was a joy to see them. Pedro in main buffet was good too. Gabriela kept our rooms tip top.
This was our first trip to Mexico, we were not disappointed . Our moto Is 'The world is a big place, lots to see' we would always go somewhere different, now Grand Bahia Principe has broken us. LOL we love the place ! Looking through brochures already for next year have only been back 4 days ! . Now that's a recommendation !!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank northernerNortheast
Dear TripAdvisor Member:

Thank you for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers. We appreciate that you took the time to remember us. Your experience is a true testament of the dedication of our staff to ensure that you have all the necessary ingredients for an unforgettable vacation.

As we love to receive the positive comments, we also are taking notes about the things that we can improve and make it better for our guests.

It would be our pleasure to host you again.

Kindly Regards,

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I will definetly visit the resort in the near future and recommend my friends to visit.I stayed in Tulum room 2824,it had a good view facing the beach.The room is cleaned ,the guy that to my room done an excellent job.The staff are friendly,they all did a good job.There's a lady her name is Lucy Addoe she's very helpful,She will advice us which place to visit,what to do plus it was our first visit in Mexico.The business need more person like Lucy,she extremely helpful she good at English and other languages.Overall the service was excellent that made my vacation very special.

Room Tip: The room is spacious with a good view like the one I had.Room 2824 in Tulum,never going to forget th...
3 Thank JOycelyne B
Dear Joycelyne:

We are glad to hear that our personnel have left a good impression, your comment is a great motivation for them to keep up with the professionalism and good service.

Looking forward to welcome you back!

Receive our warm regards,

Wendy García,
Rosthern, Canada
Reviewed November 4, 2013

1st and best piece of advice; bring your own towels! Towels are distributed by towel cards, they often ran out of clean towels and to buy your own towels anywhere were $20-$25 per towel.

The Good

-the staff worked very hard and were seldom idle, usually dripping with sweat as they tried to keep up with the demand. Great staff!
-Alfredo in the Tequila Restaurant is the best! He gets it, he makes you feel welcome, always has a smile and is genuine. Guaranteed he makes the most in tip money, he earns it
-the beach was amazing, very few people were at the beach when we were there, most stayed at the very nice pools
-resort store and resort souvenir booths were very affordable (quite surprised) and the souvenir booths at the resort would haggle (if you like that)
-Public Relations team at the resort would book all of your a la carte, spa, golf and other activities, very nice to have
-our room attendant Teodora (building 40) was amazing and very nice, I really appreciated her quality of work

The Bad

-room safe was very small, smallest I have ever seen at a 5* resort, cannot even hold an iPad. Be advised, do not bring much you want to lock away as they charge $50 pesos ($5 US) per day for a small safe with a key (?) and the safe is too small. Have I said the safe is too small?
-great hard working staff, just not enough to meet my expectations of a 5*, if you try to self-serve, which I had no problem doing as I work in retail so I am very patient, they get rather insulted and defensive, I understand we went in the non-peak season, by choice, so they would have less staff. I would be afraid to go in January through March
-we are not prodigious drinkers of alcohol, but when asked for a strong drink, they would not make them, just pointed at signs saying talking about moderating your drinks
-Resort Maintenance; the mini-fridge stopped working on Wednesday morning as did the shower, we reported this, within minutes a supervisor was on-site reviewing. Then absolutely nothing happened presumably until after we checked out Sunday afternoon. We lost power in our room (breaker blew) and we reported it to the front desk, 3 hours later it was repaired

Bonus Section

-must see is Xel-Ha (Google this), amazing place and a crime if you do not go to experience, especially if you have kids!
-shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen is highly overrated, very commerical with McDonalds, Victoria Secret, Hugo Boss etc... most places had fixed prices so you could not haggle and unless you wanted different restaurants to eat at or see more of the same souvenirs more money save yourself the time and use it elsewhere
-watch out for topless beaches, no indication, just stumble across it, guys you may find yourself in trouble if you do not have good sunglasses!
-travel mugs, bring your own to hold your drinks, this resort prides itself on being environmentally friendly and your drinks will last longer

Last Comment

Overall very good experience, I would recommend this resort. English was good and I will be learning Spanish for when I go back to Mexico or Cuba, it definitely helps!

Room Tip: Buildings close to ocean and restaurants were 37 - 41. A bit of a hike to the main lobby but worth i...
6 Thank deldumbutt
Dear TripAdvisor Member:

First of all I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel resort. It will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

Let me express my gratitude for writing your impressions in this website and to share them with other guests.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back for a second stay at your home at the Mexican Caribbean. We will make sure your stay is nothing else but a fantastic experience again.

Sending you our kindest regards

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!