“Very relaxing stay, great food and good facilities”

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks from 8th April 2013. The resort has 4 hotels within it - Tulum (where we stayed), Akumal, Coba and Sian Khan (golf resort). You can easily visit each of the hotels by buggy/bus.

Our room was situated in Villa 34 (room 3403) and was spacious, clean and fairly quiet (although if you are a light sleeper I would recommend asking for a high room because you can hear the people above you if they are moving furniture etc). Our mini bar was stocked daily and our cleaner always did a fantastic job (including leaving the best display of towels turned into people/animals etc that I have ever seen anywhere else!) Our block was right near the buffet restaurant and very close to the beach. The weather during our stay was fantastic - it literally rained for about 20 seconds on our first day and that was it for the rest of our stay! I took bug repellant but didn't have to use it and only got 3 mosquito bites during our stay (I usually get lots). However, this might have had something to do with how dry it was.

We were very surprised (and happy) about the selection of food at the buffet restaurant (for both breakfast, lunch and dinner). It is actually quite unbelievable when you first walk in and I think that even the fussiest eaters would be ok. I can definitely recommend the guacamole - I think my husband and I ate it nearly every day during our stay! There were lots of healthy options as well which was a nice change from other buffet restaurants I have been to. Drinks are brought to the table via waiter service - all the serving staff are extremely friendly and really appreciate it if you speak a little Spanish to them (just 'hello', 'thank you' etc). If you are a tea drinker - make sure that you ask for it with milk (con leche) when you ask for your tea as I ended up drinking black tea for the first few mornings! We ate at 6 of the A la Carte restaurants as well (included in our all-inclusive package) - Don Pablo and Arlequin are the gourmet restaurants and were superb (the fillet steak at Arlequin was gorgeous), Tequila - Mexican restaurant, Pescador (Seafood) and the Mediterranean restaurant at Coba. We enjoyed all of them, especially the gourmet restaurants. We didn't have any problem booking them but made sure that we did it as soon as we could. The a la carte's are dotted around the resort so it was nice to 'go out' for dinner (have a bit of a longer trip to get there on the little bus).

We sat around the pool rather than on the beach for most of the holiday. This was mainly because it was easy to get lulled into a false sense of security in regards to the sun when you were at the beach...the wind makes it feel like you aren't burning when, in fact, you are! We used an SPF 30 all holiday and neither of us burns particulary much but I wouldn't recommend dropping any lower than this...you still get a good sun tan. We sat nearer to the lobby/buffet restaurant in Tulum when we were around the pool as the entertainment is across the other side and can be quite loud. It also got a bit repetitive (same music) but for anyone who has been to these kind of all-inclusive resorts before, this is pretty much expected! I liked that no one tried to force us to take part in beach volley ball/water polo etc which I have expereinced at all inclusive resorts in the past.

My husband and I are scuba divers and we had an afternoon diving at an open cenote and a full day diving at Cozumel. The diving is quite expensive for what you get...we had an extremely strong current when we went to Cozumel meaning that you couldn't really see anything for a very long time before you 'drifted' (understatement) past. Unfirtunately we didn't go on the cenote (full caverns) dive because I had ear problems but apparently this is amazing. The marine life was good and so was the visibility - for anyone who has dived in Egypt then, like us, you have been spoilt and it is difficult for anywhere else to live up to this. However, every dive provides a different experience so I would say that it is worth doing. We couldn't dive in (or even go into) the sea near to the hotel because the red flag was out every day during our stay because the wind was very strong causing the sea to be quite choppy.

Overall, we had a very relaxing stay and I would recommend going to this resort. We would certainly return here! The transfer was quite long from the airport because of dropping/collecting other guests from different resorts along the way. However, I think this is a small price to pay and it wouldn't put me off going back.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will be quieter as you can sometimes hear others moving furniture above you...especiall...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jemma H
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Jemma:

It is of great satisfaction for us to know that you have really enjoyed your time at the Grand Bahia Principe Resort.

Thank you for your recommendations for other guests.

We are proud in creating memories that last a lifetime, give unforgettable experiences to our guests and pleased to see that we have reached our goal.You can be assured that we look forward to welcoming you “back home” where your Mexican family awaits you.

With best Regards

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We read trip advisor in advance and in general we were happy with our choice. A few small moans were on here and a little bit of doubt started to creep in prior to our holiday.
As it turns out some people will complain just because they can.
Amazing holiday, amazing location and an amazing resort !!
The staff were brilliant and couldn't do enough for you.

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank MarkandVash

Dear Mark and Vash:

Making our guests feel pampered and forgetting their everyday worries, are our main goals, and I feel glad that our staff, services and installations have achieved that.

Congratulations for both of you, have a happy and long life together and please feel free to contact me to create and amazing experience for your first anniversary.

Best wishes,
Massiel V.Damm
Info.tulum@bahia-principe.com

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I just got back from my trip and I'm still overwhelmed with the great experiences i had at Grand Bahia Principe.
I went with 2 of my girl friends,all single,so we were looking for some kinda adventures which we definitely got even though the hotel housed lots and lots of families,couples and newly weds.

The fact that we could use the three hotels (Tulum,Coba,Akumal) was great,as we could never get bored!
-Coba was more of the party place,specially the pool area where they'd have those awesome pool parties.
-Best beach is Akumal beach,as it's very clean,well organized and lots of fun activities.
-Spa at the Akumal is pretty cool,we had the Mayan massage which was just great! you could get discounts if you're more than one person.
-Hacienda was the It place for partying at night,at 11pm they'd have the dancing show, i danced my feet off every night, the animators are amazing, all of them. At 12 the discotheque starts which sounds a bit cheesy BUT they play really good music.
-During the day there are a lot of activities in each of the hotels,but we would always be at Akumal beach during the day so that's where i attended most of the activities.
-Food: the Buffets are all good. from the A la Cartes we tried Tequila (which was not as good as we expected), El Pescador (good seafood), Mikado (a MUST GO,don't forget to request the private show)

-It would be also wise to visit Chichen itza (One of the seven wonders of the world,even though its 2 hours away), Xplor (adrenalin rush is guaranteed) Xcaret (beautiful green park) CoCo Bongo (just don't go on the weekend as it's ridiculously packed) and Diving at the second most beautiful reef in the world.

Overall I'm really happy with Grand Bahia Principe and i already can not wait to go back!

Room Tip: -Pick rooms on the top floor (you will get a view of the ocean) -We stayed in Tulum villa 27,which...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Dana A

Dear Dana:

We are glad to know that Grand Bahia Principe Riviera Maya was a good host during your girl’s solo vacation.

Being a three hotel complex gives us the opportunity to have several options to offer to our guests. It is important for us to know that our staff efforts are appreciated by our guests.

Thank you for giving us your nice feedback about the time you had here and the activities that you had enjoyed. I believe that your suggestions will be very useful for other readers.

We do look for the opportunity to welcome you girls back again to this hotel,

Wishing you the best,

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed at Gran Bahia Tulum with 21 others for our daughters wedding. Memories are made of this! What an excellent hotel. I simply cannot fault anything. The staff are all so friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. Ive heard comments that this is not a 5 star hotel. Well its damn close!( No room service or bedroom slippers but you REALLY dont need either!) Ive also seen that some people thought that the food was repetitive! What a laugh! Yes, it was! Repetitive in that we could have Chicken, Fish, Seafood, Steaks,Soups Salads, Cheeses, Sushi, etc etc every night! and the A La Carte restaurants are superb. Pleeeeease try the Japanese, Seafood, Brazilian and Gourmet. Excellent. The complex is huge but the carts go by every 10 minutes and will take you wherever you want to go. Visit the sister hotels as they have different bars and restaurants. We all loved our holiday and our daughters wedding on the beach was outstanding. Please dont listen to negative comments, some are very petty and if you do have any sort of problem or request, just tell them! The staff will help instantly.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview if you like quiet or a pool view if you like to see whats going on.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Denise:

It was a true pleasure to be part of such an important moment of your life like your daughter's wedding. All Grand Bahia Principe staff sends best wishes.

We know how important the wedding days are for a couple and I feel happy you enjoy them with the entire group.

Feel free to contact us to create and amazing experience for their first anniversary.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review on TripAdvisor.com.

We all hope to see you all again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Where do i start, fantastic hotel fantastic resort and fantastic staff.
we had our daughters wedding at this hotel and the wedding planner and restaurant staff could'nt do any more to make this a very speicial day for the newly weds Marie and Greggor Smith ( Saunders) 19/04/2013. A special thankyou to the management for our request via e-mail for a sea view, top floor villa in which they bettered with a lovely view of the above and also the dolphins, memories that will stay with me for ever.
Any negative stories you read reference the hotels buffet food bar must be ignored. My wife Denise and i found that the food was outstanding and the variety was huge, you also get themed evenings and who can get champagne/ bloody mary's for breakfast. the resort is huge but you can't ask for a better well groomed grounds and cleanliness of this hotel or its sister hotels Akumal/coba. the golf buggies to get you around the resort is a fantastic service inwhich the hotel does not have to provide but that's what i call 5 star service. A big thankyou to Jose my bartender at the 24hr snack bar for my double rum and cokes and sometimes a triple. ( management please pass on ) also my wife and i enjoyed our 5.30am visits to the 24hr snack bar for our breakfast and midnight feasts, just fantastic food and idilic settings.

Room Tip: The only advice i would give is to e-mail the hotel for your room requests at least a month before d...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Mr. Saunders:

Thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate your daughter´s wedding; it is nice for us to realize when our guests have a good time during their holidays.

At the same time we are appreciative with your fine impressions of our hotel and would like to mention that we will be very happy to welcome you back here at Gran Bahia Principe Resort for more nice memories. It was a true pleasure to be at your and your wedding service with the rest of The Saunders and Smith´s family.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort sometime in the near future.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us should you need any assistance at: info.tulum@bahia-principe.com

Best wishes

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We just returned from a 10-day stay at the GBP Tulum. We were quite impressed by the grounds (they are maintained and kept very clean). Our room was Villa 23 which was overlooking the ocean and the Dolphinaris. It was quite relaxing to see the dolphins doing their daily show routine. Our room was a good 5 minute walk to the lobby, but there are always trolleys ready to pick you up anywhere while on your way. (They are quite efficient actually!).
The air-conditioning worked okay (balcony door needs to be locked), but sometimes the hotel would cut it in the middle of the night. It happened a couple of times during our stay.

However, we were extremely disappointed with the FOOD! We went once to the Coba, and we were stunned that we had to scrape the bottom to get some food. We went around 8 pm and could not believe it! We never went back.

At the Tulum buffet, things were a little better but also disappointing. Tasteless food for the most part (so sad as there was such abundance). The only thing that was good was breakfast ... can't really go wrong with eggs or omelets, toasts, fruits. Croissants were good when fresh (not every day).

We went to the Gran Tortuga...which we dubbed Gran Tortura... 'nuff said.

Specialty restaurants: Don Pablo was okay; Le Gourmet and Dolce Vita were good. Mikado was excellent for the rice ONLY, everything else was way too salty... very sad!

If this resort would improve their food, it would truly be a wonderful place to go to year after year. Too bad they do not put more effort into the food preparation as they do to the grounds! They should hire NEW CHEFS... get a couple of good italian cooks!!

This resort does NOT have room service (bummer!)

However, we did have a couple of good experiences. Our favorite part was an outing we decided to do with a taxi driver that was recommended by a hotel staff. We rented the services of a taxi driver who drove us around and waited for us (9h30 am to 4 pm). He charged us 140$ (4 people). We went to the Tulum ruins, drove around Tulum, went to the beach in Tulum (absolute paradise and no one in sight!!), drove us to a seafood restaurant in Tulum (El Capitan), fantastic platter of a variety of seafood and fresh fish approx 500 pesos for 2 incl drinks; then went to Cenote Dos Ojos and back to the hotel.

Overall, I would give the staff a 10/10 (they are all hard working and nice people) property a 9/10, the beach (more rocky than thought) a 6/10 and the food 1/10.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank kawai_nikon

Dear Guest,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to communicate your opinion about your last stay at the Grand Bahia Principe.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the hotel that you quite enjoyed, however we are very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service concerning the food and especially specialities restuarants. We have already shared it with our chef and restaurant manager in order to improve and enhance quality. Indeed, your well being and entire satisfaction is our primary goal.

Nevertheless I also would like to thank you for pointing out our staff. Our staff is one of our main strength and we are very grateful that you value it so highly.

We will very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future!

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We booked to go for one weeks stay for our honeymoon all inclusive.
When we arrived we was greater with a welcome cocktails and a choice of fruit which you could CH ihelp yourself to. ( on other arrivals they even had burgers ! )
Love that they have bus boys to help you and your luggage to your room on these resort golf buggies. They run all day to take to where ever you want to go. They also have double joined carts that run likes buses every 10 mins to all the sister resorts joined so you can try everything the resort has to offer these run until 2.30am! ( don't worry you don't hear them intact the whole resort despite its size is very peaceful )
Lots of wildlife the resort to be seen around we saw raccoons, akumals, spider monkeys, blizzards etc. They have a pool where you can swim with dolphins in the resort.
Lots of excursions to do we did the half a day through the Mayan jungle quad bikes, where you go off roading, visited a denotes, and a local animal rescue place. We also did a trip called eXplor - which is a fun day zip lines through waterfalls, river rafts, river walking, 4 by 4 road trucks, you get all you can eat food and drinks which is great and a locker for your stuff. Very reasonable prices too!
I was worried about going all inclusive in case I didnt like the food with being a fussy eater ..well this resort has something for everyone lots of a la carte restaurants ( you can pre book up to a maximum of 3 per week before you go ) I would recommend it because some get booked up quick. Email the resort and they will give you a list of restaurant options. The buffet restaurants are amazing its a massive room with every type of food you can think of such as a sushi corner, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, american, salad bars, fruit bars, dessert bar, childrens section, all types breads you could imagine, vegetarian bar.
You can eat as much as you want the food is fantastic! The staff in the buffet restaurants see to you straight away bringing you cooled water, fetching you alcoholic drinks too! Topping you up constantly...I recommend you tip the waiters 50 peso and they will continue to bring you more drinks without asking!
The rooms are gorgeous super king size beds! Lovely bathrooms! Some English movie channels too on the TV! Your room is cleaned every day and fresh bedding every other day.
There's a mini bar in the room which is topped up daily if you run low ring reception and they send someone out to top you up :)
Even though we went here for our honeymoon, being a parent there's lots for the kiddies to do here too! Lots of nice pools, beach is lovely and clean, kids clubs, children and family shows, excursions suitable for them.
Overall this is a fantastic resort and I will be definitely going back in the near future. Its a big resort but so peaceful, staff can't do enough for you, very clean just amazing!
Any of you thinking of going just book it because you will not be disappointed!!!
Anyone who's got anything bad to say must be bonkers or very fussy because it was just perfect in every way!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Ash P

Dear guests:

It is great that you have chosen Grand Bahia Principe Resort to spend your honeymoon. We are happy to read your kind notes on Trip Advisor about your stay with us, we are delighted to know that our facilities and services have left a memorable experience.

We fell so happy to read that you have enjoyed yourselves and that you took the opportunity to admire the natural surroundings and wild life.

We look forward to receive you and your family again in our resort and hope you do not hesitate to contact us with any requests you may have: info.tulum@bahia-principe.com

Kindest Regards,
Public Relations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!