“Our second time here..many improvements..just one important step back...poor ac in the bedroom :(”

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is a beautiful resort, with many improvements have been made. We stayed here 3 years ago and liked it then. Would have had a perfect stay, but the ac in our room ( and we traveled with 2 other couples, they had the same complaint) didn't cool the room enough. You had to take a cool shower and only sleep with a sheet on you. We did contact the front desk . They did send someone to check it and said this should work..it didn't . So we just made the best of it . But no one goes on a vacation to have a hard time sleeping in the heat. Would I try this hotel again? Only when I read they have fixed the ac problem!

Room Tip: Nice resort..bring only short dresses or shorts. Most of the restaurants are open air and bring flat...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Surfsidesandcrab
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest:

On behalf the management and all the staff of the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum resort, we would like to send you our warmest appreciation for choosing to be guests in our resort. We realize that there is a myriad of other resorts for you to choose from and we are grateful because your choice was to spend your vacation at our resort again.

Please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and make sure our entire guest feel welcomed. I would like to apologize for situation described referring the temperature in the rooms, as a company we greatly value the feedback which we receive from our guests as we constantly strive to maintain consistently high standard of service.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family and friends back for a third time to our resort sometime in the near future. Please, do not hesitate to contact us should you need any assistance at: info.tulum@bahia-principe.com

Kindest Regards,
Public Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (12,984)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Wow! If you are thinking of booking this resort, do it. We looked at a fair few before booking this and are so glad we opted for Bahia Principe! It is beautiful. The resort spans over 4 different hotels but you can use all of them, bars, restaurants, pools, beaches....the lot. It is just superb. The service is exceptional, choice and quality of food is the best all inclusive I have ever been to, and the resort is very well maintained. In fact the grounds themselves are incredible. Such care and attention is paid to maintain them, it's fascinating to watch. Stunning forests littered with only wildlife which run freely round the resort, all adding to the experience. We stayed at Tulum, and the beach there is out of this world. White sand, clean, turquoise sea and quiet!! Pools are also lovely, and there is always a sun bed free. In the evening there is a brilliant selection of restaurants to go to, our favourite was Arlequin at Akumal, fab food! We didn't have such a good experience at the Mediterranean, a little more basic, but Arlequin, along with Le Gourmet and El Mikado at Coba resort were top notch.
There are enough bars to keep you busy at night with variety of cocktails, branded drinks too and served with a smile. My only one wish was that they kept them open past 11pm! Drinks stop being served then which after a few tequilas, is a shame! 12 would have been perfect. There is a later disco at The Hacienda but we didn't brave this one!
There was a real mix of people here. From older couples enjoying the odd dance in the evenings, to young groups on hols together and plenty of couples and families. A great balance though, no ill behaviour at all. There seemed to be a high standard at this hotel and it definitely filters through to the type of guest staying there. Loved it for this reason.
There is tennis, bikes to hire so you can see the grounds, excursions or just an idyllic lounger positioned perfectly between the beach and the pool to soak up the 30 degree plus weather. Scattered clouds passed throughout the day but nothing to be concerned about for April anyway.
If I had to be picky, I would flag the bathroom we had could have been a better standard. It was ok, a good size but flooded every time we showered! Of course it was cleaned daily, but given the high standard of everything else, it was a bit of a let down!
As I walked away from the beach on our last day, I shed a little tear. A 12 hour flight from UK means I know we won't go back every year, but we will go back again. It stole my heart, and was the best holiday I have ever had.

Room Tip: Hacienda junior suite comes with its own pool, restaurant for breakfast and lunch and lobby with fre...
7  Thank ogoa79
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing us once again as your holiday’s destination.

Your review and the impression you have expressed about our hotel make us really proud! It is our constant goal to keep impressing our guests.

We consider a great honor to have had the opportunity to have served you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly is very motivating to our managers and staff.

You can be assured that we look forward to welcoming you “back home” where your Mexican heart awaits you.

With best regards

Reviewed April 22, 2013

First of all if you are thinking of booking here than don't worry you can't go wrong here.
We arrived as a young family of 3 on the 9th April for 11 nights booked through coop Thomas cook.
The transfer from airport was 1.5hrs in and 2 hours out due to pick ups but coaches were very comfortable and it wasn't an unpleasant journey.
On arrival we were treated with welcome cocktails and swiftly allocated a room. I had requested an upgrade due to a birthday but was not accommodated on this. My room however was a good size was nicely decorated and hd a brand new flat screen tv. Bathrooms were lovely and included hair dryer and plug and decent shower. I also always had plenty of hot water for my 6yr old who likes a bath. Other facilities included a coffee machine. My only grumble in the rooms were the dodgy electrics the adapter plugs didn't seem to fit properly and one of the plugs sparked a few times. It was fine with the coffee maker just the adapters from UK. Worth being cautious on use.

Food- Amazing...... The best food ive had on holiday. I'm fussy and I tried loads, can't say there was one thing that was nice. Pizza, steak, chicken, Chinese food daily along with stews soups etc. kids corner served pasta burgers hotdogs etc but to be honest my little girl ate more of the adult stuff. Burgers etc were served for breakfast too in the kids bit which I did not like so my little girl was plenty happy with the selection of fruit loops coco pops (all Kellogg's ) and jam toast. Much healthier. The restaurants were clean and service was generally good although a couple of niggles. Firstly it's very rare you are supplied a small spoon to stir your coffee tea (once in 12 days) most days stirred with knife and secondly tables are not cleared an re made quick enough. One day there were no tables made so we sat on one that I'm guessing was saved more for dinner time and we were told to move and seated at a dirty table with our food while they came over and set it for us. This I don't understand as they employ somebody to go round all the bins in the resort making bahia suns in the sand ash trays on top so how can they have of much attention to detail and yet not make tables up and take plates within 10-15 minutes of you finishing?

Pool- 2 pools in total. A larger one outside the main lobby with children's pool and a smaller one with jacuzzi and baby pool at the back near the gran tortuga restaurant which I preferred as my daughter could stand up even in the main pool. I did have a slight niggle with the cleanliness of this pool though, I regularly saw reeds like off the palm trees footing in the and felt thy needed a net pulling through them a couple of times a day and one day after a wedding at the pool I found glass on the step which my daughter cut her foot on which was bad. Plastic cups would be a good idea if celebrating soo close to the pool area. Another niggle for pool was the unbend, they really did need a clean, good idea to jet wash h backs and bird poo off them every night or at least few times a week. Sun beds were pretty much impossible to get after 9.30 I must admit we dragged them off the beach a few days which since there were no signs I'm guessing was not an issue. My daughters very nice sandals were also stolen from the pool so keep your belongings close.

Location- I loved it, he xel ha and xcarlet were only up the road either side and the beach was at the hotel. Golf buggys frequently round the hotel taking you to the main lad to go into town and to the other hotels on the complex.

Overall loved it. Would highly recommend and would revisit. Weather for April was hot 90ish cloudy but white clouds with a nice breeze. Perfect really. Sea was red flag all holiday though but this did not bother me as I'm personally not a sea lover.

Tip- book the don Pablo a la carte it was stunningly yummy and by far the best of the ones we visited. The Brazilian was also worthy of a visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Sam N

Dear Sam:

We feel much honored to read your kind remarks in regards of the service in the resort. On behalf of all the associates of the Grand Bahia Principe Resort, we want to express our appreciation for the time you took to write and describe your appreciations of the service we provide.

Grand Bahia Principe Resort thanks you for providing us and other Trip Advisor users with your kind feedback and recommendations.

We trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you for a second time.

With best Regards

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The resort is excellent and value for money. Everything including the ambiance, location, staff, food, drinks, beach, pool etc. are decent and you always find a laughing and helping staff member. Wow this resort was absolutely beautiful! Great service, awesome beach, and the pools were great as well. The food was great. We ate at the main buffet, the beach snack bar alot! and the buffet by the beach for breakfast and lunch. Rooms were clean and room service was great!

Room Tip: Ask for beach front rooms. They have 4 properties interconnected with internal free transportation b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank RadhaKK

Dear RadhaKK:

I appreciate that you took the time to share your gracious notes regarding your recent stay Gran Bahia Principe Resort.

We are honored to know that our associates’ efforts are well appreciated. I am sharing this feedback with all departments’ heads and employees of the hotel.

We well feel very glad to welcome you back again to our resort,

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We went here for our Honeymoon on November and had a great time.When we arrived after a very long flight it was nice to get handed a welcome drink when we were checking in. The room we were in was over looking the dolphins and you could see the sea too was a really nice room. There was a mini bar in our room too so was nice to get some refreshments and chill before dinner. We went to the main dinner hall in Tulum and got another welcome drink and helped ourselfs to the big buffet they had with everything there to cater for everyone. When we stayed it was very busy and sometimes we found we had to put our towels down early so we would get two sun loungers together as by the time you waited after breakfast there was never any left. The entertainment was good but could of been better everywhere stopped there entertainment at 11pm sharp. Me and hubby where just starting to enjoy ourselfs when the entertainment stopped. Although we went up to the Hacienda and up here there was a sports bar that we sat at and more entertainment started before the night club opened at 12am this is good if you want to still party. Great resort with loads to see and do at different parts of the resort me and hubby mainly stayed in the Tulum part but on our last week we decided to go to other parts of the resort and explore and found that there was different entertainment on which we enjoyed for eg they had Karaoke on in the Akumal part of the resort and it was good to watch just wish we knew sooner about it. The only thing that let this resort down and really bugged us was the time share people trying to get us to take one out these people sit at the lobby in Tulum and try and rope you into buying one. They promise you sooo much stuff before hand and cos we said we were on honeymoon the guy offered us free tickets to the mexican night they have up in the Hacienda every Thursday, we then went into a club car (only for time share people) and went up to another part of resort where we were promised lunch although we never got that and instead we got half an hour of a lady trying to sell to us and then showing us what we could get if we invested. After a while she got the hint we weren't interested and we got a bottle of tequila with t-shirts and a bag so it wasn't all that bad. Just beware guys. All in all we had a great time and would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loobie1_10

Dear Guests:

Congratulations first of all, and thank you very much your informative review.

We are glad to know that Grand Bahia Principe was a good host during your honeymoon.

Thank you for giving us your nice feedback about the time you had here and the activities that you had enjoyed. I believe that your suggestions will be very useful for other readers.

We hope that you will not hesitate in returning for your first anniversary and we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Regards

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wow this resort was absolutely beautiful! Great service, great entertainment, awesome beach, and the pools were great as well. The food was great. We ate at the main buffet, the beach snack bar alot! and the buffet by the beach for breakfast and lunch. Rooms were clean and room service was great! Yes the reviews talk about the showers having problems with leaving water on floor after, but really who cares. We stayed at the Iberostar Del Mar 11 years ago, and am so happy we picked this resort over that one. Much better!!! We did private transfer roundtrip from airport, and was well worth it. Yes it is farther from airport, but well worth it!!!!
So Amazing!!! Hopefully we don't have to wait 11 years to go back:)

Room Tip: We loved the villa number 20. Close to smaller quite pool and we could see ocean from our room. #2...

Dear Lisa:

First of all I want to thank you for coming to Grand Bahia Principe Resort.

We are truly glad to read that our aim has been achieved during your stay with us: making you feel relaxed and away from the activities of the daily life.

Let me express my gratitude for writing your impressions in this website and to share them with other guests.

I wish I was given the opportunity to welcome you back again soon,

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have a long list of things that I loved about our stay here - most importantly the service, (which was outstanding), the constant meticulous upkeep and maintenance of the resort, and the beauty and cleanliness of everything, everywhere. Even when there was one minor problem (noisy, unstable fan), they came to fix it immediately and when that didn't work, they completely replaced it with a new one. Everyone who works there is cheerful, hardworking, and doing everything in their power to make your stay amazing.
In all honesty, many of the tourists there need to take a major course on how not to be rude, ill-mannered, impatient, selfish jerks. I was ashamed of their despicable behavior. It was like they thought they were better than the people who worked at the resort. Here's a newsflash to all of those tourists: you are NOT better than them. I doubt any of them would ever treat others the way you treated them. Shame on you.
We smiled at the staff, made eye contact, greeted them, thanked them and tipped them every chance we got because we wanted to show them our appreciation for making our stay magnificent. After all, service for us is the number one key to whether we will return to a place or not. The only reason I didn't give this a 5 was because of the old-style electrical outlets in the rooms that required adapters for most electronics and because of the difficulty in getting into the a la carte restaurants for dinners. In the grand scheme of things, these were minor inconveniences.In summary: don't ever hesitate to book a vacation here. We've been to this resort twice (Coba last year) and wouldn't ever hesitate to go back or recommend to our family and friends. Those people who complain are the types that are just never satisfied no matter what.

1  Thank 2mckays

Dear Girls:

Thank you so much for choosing to return to your second home at the Mexican Caribbean again and sharing your review. It is nice to know that you have enjoyed our service and the hotel facilities.

The Grand Bahia Principe Resort family hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you for the third time and give us another opportunity to be able to show you the kind of service we are capable of giving. Please write us a little mail before your arrival and we will be happy to accommodate your wishes(restaurant reservations too).

With our very best regards,
Info.tulum@bahia-principe.com