We had a wonderful vacation. This area of Mexico is abudent with things to do even with small children.
The hotel is beautiful, the lobby and the grounds and the beach are wonderful. Some poeple have commented on the need for water shoes, you don't, there are vasts areas in the water with no rock.
The first room we were put in was apparently a junior superior suite that is in a building that was or is not on their web site (blg 336). Months before we arrived, we requested sea view room...we got put in the furthest building possible from the sea....I found that insulting considering I specifically booked JS rather then the standard room becasue the web site showed the rooms to be up front by the sea. The building we were put in was situated along a service road, so it is busy and noisy. I do believe these buildings are rarely used becasue of the terriable location of them. We spent one night in the room and I had instant respiritory issues from the mould smell (I an not usually senstive and I totally expect some mildew smell when traveling to tropical humid climates).
Whe we moved rooms the next day we were forgotten about and left standing there in the lobby waiting AGAIN with a small child who wanted nothing more then to go to the beach.
This hotel complex is famous for "une momento" or "right away"....and they just leave you waiting for days...really.
Our new room was building 12 which is appparently a downgrade from a JuSup suite....even though it is on the sea. (I personally felt swindled by this as the map on the web site makes one assume an upgrade will get you a view of the sea based on the map....not so). The coffee maker in our new room had scunggy old water in it and did not work. We called a few times a day, stopped staff and showed them, and they would leave on promise to return with a nrew maker.....it took five days to get a new one. A really small thing that really annoyed us. Could have been avoided. Don't tell guests "un momento" and then leave them hanging over and over again...The maid actually threw out the note we left for her and the maintence slips you hang on teh door are for blowing in the wind only.
One day my daughter and I were playing in the pool. A family was there with a girl that appeared to be around 8 years old. This child had a bowel movement in the pool right beside us.
We went rushing out and immediately showered off, then told the towel guy. No one told anyone to get out of the the pool. Instead, later from our balcony, we could still see people in the pool and soemone had put up caution tape around the area the accident happened. Later we saw someone bucketing it out. That was not hygenically acceptable at all.
A la carte service was always great with friendly, witty service.
Buffet service was terriable unless you sat in Solfreino's section or got the attendtion of one the bus boys. We were there for two weeks and many nights our server never once gave eye countact, never mind water or wine. I had brought this to the attention to the buffet manager once and nothing was done. Sometimes we sat with our dinner plates stacked in the middle of the table. We were there for sometime too as that was our relax time. I l aways felt bad having to ask someone else from outside our section to get us wine or water or coffee as I know they were busy. But soemtimes i would have no idea who our serve was supposed to be. If there is a next time, maybe I won't be so timid and just help myself to the wine and water and clear my own plates....then I won't have to sit and wait and get more and more annoyed.
We never recieved a welcome basket (not sure who is supposed to get them, but our freinds did).
I have also heard rumours about room service that I would have liked to take advantage of on more then one occasion with a tired child, but saw absolutely no informaiton on this).
Over all, we really enjoyed the grounds and the wild life. The natural areas are beautiful.
Most staff encountered were freindly. Some were exceptional and made our holiday (who I have already noted to management).
All in all, from reading trip advisor, these are all common complaints, soemething the resort needs to work on because it is beautiful and could be better then it is.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico