“Best food in Akumal by a long shot, but closed for dinner.”
Review of El Comal de Akumal - CLOSED

El Comal de Akumal
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Authentic Mexican Street food with home made flavor. Tacos, Tortas (Toasties), Molotes, Quesadillas & more!...Open for breakfast and lunch. You will like it or love it!
Chicago, Illinois
“Best food in Akumal by a long shot, but closed for dinner.”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The place is very small, and doesn't look like much, but it turned out to be some of the best food we had on our trip to Mexico this time. While on Riviera Maya for 12 days, we were in Akumal for 3 days, and we ate two lunches here. The selection varies day by day, but everything we tried was great (and we tried many things!). Tacos and quesadillas are fantastic, with unusual fillings (cassaroles) such as sauteed hibiscus flower with onions and garlic, chicken with cream of mushrooms, diabolo calamari. What impressed us from the get-go was that they gave us some tortilla chips with three delicious homemade salsas, with varying spice and flavor profiles. Now we know the chef is serious and creative about satisfying our palates, and not playing it safe for the tourists. Dining options in Akumal are limited and it's a shame that we can't get something like this for dinner. Pricing is amazingly affordable, especially given the creativity and uniqueness of the food. Francisco's English is excellent, and he gave us the insider's scoop on the dishes. He's friendly and helpful. For lunch, you can't go wrong with El Comal de Akumal. Breakfast we didn't try, but we imagine it is phenomenal too! Thank you Chef Daveed and Francisco.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Chaource
Daveedchefservice, Propietario at El Comal de Akumal, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Hello!,

Thank you very ,much for your comments!, we really appreciate the time you take to write about us and recommend us.

Stoney Creek, Canada
“Unique Little Place”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I made it a mission to eat nopal (cactus) on this trip. Since I knew I could find it at this establishment, I made eating here a priority. As a result, I had a quesadilla with nopal casserole. It was quite good. The sauces they served it with were also amazing. The staff was very friendly and non-invasive. The prices were very good. I really wish I had the opportunity to sample different menu items, but our schedule just didn't allow it. Nonetheless, it was definitely worth the visit.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank MoniqueSeibel
Hello Monique!,

Seattle, Washington
“Delicious, authentic food”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The food is delicious and the staff are very friendly. I had the huevos rancheros and my wife had the breakfast torta. Daveed and staff also offer catering services. If you're staying in Akumal I recommend you either visit El Comal or hire them to come to your place.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Reeves L
Hello Reeves!,

Prior Lake, Minnesota
“Daveed and staff are great, highly recommend”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We ate at El Comal twice, its a simple fare place great for lunch. Daveed (owner) is a great man and chef and has a lot of passion for this place. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. There aren't many options for simple affordable lunch in Akumal it needs support. Lunch for 4 people including sodas under $20. I don't buy the review that El Comal got anyone sick, but who knows. We had nothing but great food and I know for a fact Daveed cares deeply about his food and restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank priorlake

London, United Kingdom
“Very simple basic and special !!!”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I asked one of my new friends in akumal while in holiday where to go and eat something simple and not usual boring food.
We were sent here and we loved it.... we also went back after few days when back in akumal!
What I loved of the tacos I had here is the fact that I could feel every single flavour of the fresh ingredients, there are daily options of tacos and the owner/manager is really nice!
Don't expect a fine dining restaurant but something very traditional street food prepared in the most possible way!!

well done! loved akumal!!!!!

• Visited March 2014