“We loved our week at this calm resort.”
Review of Grand Oasis Tulum

Grand Oasis Tulum
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our oceanfront room opened on to a gorgeous, quiet beach with immediate access to snorkelling.
The beach and water are not too crowded. And I had daily peaceful and exhilarating laps in the infinity pool - one of many diverse pools on the property.
I don't think we would have been as happy if we hadn't stayed at the "Grand" section of the Grand Oasis Tulum.
We thought the staff was superb - especially people at the Dive Shop. (Many thanks to Emiliano who rushed out to help me when I was getting knocked over while trying to get back to shore on a day that had the strongest currents.) And special thanks to Maira for her patience during a snorkelling tour and to Fabio for making our trip to Dos Ojos Cenote so memorable.

I agree with another commenter re problems with access to wifi. But I wonder if it's unusually hard for hotels to supply the easy free access we are used to having - when I was leaving there was no wifi at all in Terminal 2 at the Cancun Airport....

Food was great and plenty of variety and healthy options. And beautiful places to eat outside.

Wish the bedside lamps weren't so bright so we, who read in the middle of the night, wouldn't disturb our families....

Room Tip: Stay at the "Grand" Oasis Tulum.
2  Thank Susan I
Management response:Responded April 3, 2014

Dear Susan:

It is a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and that you received such excellent service.
We are proud to say we have a team always ready to give their best at all times to make every single one of our guests feel at home and make sure they have a wonderful vacation. We will certainly congratulate them for their amazing job.

Best Regards.

There are newer reviews for Grand Oasis Tulum

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Oasis Tulum from March 21-28. Upon our arrival around 8pm we were greeted pleasantly with smiles and something bubbly :)
All in all, the hotel grounds (on the grand side) were very nice and we loved it! the beach was AMAZING and the pool/beach/rooftop area was spectacular.
However, we encountered a couple problems, things that we wish we had known prior to our arrival.
There is NO free wifi, not even in public areas. We were told it was $30 for 5 days, and that they couldn't do anything about it as they had no control over the system.
The lady who checked us in did not care to mention that this $30 of wifi was only for one device. As someone who has an iPhone, iPad, computer, and E-reader, you can see how this would be a problem. and WHO wants to pay all this extra money for wifi.
We expressed our discontent, and Isabel, the manager on duty gave us one free wifi code for 7 days. However, she refused to give us another. As we were a party of three, one wifi code was hardly sufficient. This code could only be used on ONE device and could not be transferred from device to device.
With the knowledge that they DO and CAN give out wifi codes, we returned in order to try to get one or two more.
Juan Carlos Leon at the front desk straight lied to us and said that there was no such thing., and if there actually was he would "see what he could do." So we went and got the code to show him. He then talked in circles with us and after a long period of time. And kept throwing out lie after lie!!!!
Carolina Soria, also at the front desk was extremely rude and told us to "leave the hotel". NEVER in all my different hotel experiences, have I EVER been treated so rudely because of a reasonable complaint.
Orlando, the bartender working at the time also was acting strange and told us we COULD get free wifi, very opposite to what Juan Carlos said. Juan Carlos then went over to talk to this bartender and when he came back he would not tell us what they talked about. He just shook his head and said "I don't know."
Now, this all took place around 11/12 at night, so angry and frustrated we went to bed. The next morning, we happened to run into two sub directors, Alexis Marquez, and Manuel Soria who were very helpful and gave us FIVE free wifi codes for our 7 day stay :) :). SO… there IS such a thing.
Now, not all the staff were unpleasant, only those three from that night. There were a few that stood out to us and did everything in their power to make our stay even better!
Noe - We had previously read good things about him on trip advisor, and he did not disappoint! We received outstanding and friendly service from him as a server.
Noeli - She worked at Coffee & Me as the barista and was always full of smiles and made excellent coffee!
Josue - He worked at the pool bar and he was great too.
Marianne - She worked at the omelette station one morning and she was excellent at her job and had lovely people skills.
Moises T - Worked at the Oasis plus desk and he was very responsive.
ALL the TOP managers were great and worked to please!!! :)
Finally, the rooms.
Let me tell you, that there are cockroaches at this hotel. We saw at least 3-5 in the hallway. When we told them they fumigated right away, and we understand it IS the jungle so…...
There is a new wing and an old wing at the Grand Oasis Tulum. The rooms in the new wing are all ocean front and more modern. Newer, cleaner, most likely less bugs. We were in a garden view room which faced the pool and it was in the old wing.
I recommend that you get an ocean view room in order to get the full 10/10 experience at this hotel. But if you don't mind then the garden view rooms are fine too, nothing really wrong with them. Just for the heads up so you know what you're getting yourself into!
All in all, the food was mostly pretty good, and the entertainment was interesting… the circus was funny.
Don't forget your sunscreen!

Room Tip: There is a new wing and an old wing at the Grand Oasis Tulum. The rooms in the new wing are all ocea...
1  Thank Beaches1111
Atención C, PR at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Guest:

It is amazing to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel. Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.
Our staff is always working hard to satisfy our guests so they can have an amazing experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This place has a lot going for it from my perspective. I wanted an all-inclusive with snorkeling off the beach and a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. We've been to some of the super-large la-dee-da resorts where NO ONE ever struck up a conversation with us. At the Oasis Tulum, it's friendly. I'm not sure what gives a place the kind of relaxed vibe that makes people strike up conversations with strangers, but the Oasis has it for sure.

We loved the Piano Bar in the lobby! Pianist Marcello is a big plus for the Grand Oasis. I also appreciated the friendliness of the wait staff, cooks, and housekeeping personnel. And the concierge was a plus. One night I left a small insulated bag at the hotel's Al Sur restaurant and was having trouble locating it via the front desk and the Lost and Found people. When I returned to Al Sur to see if the staff there had seen it, hostess Diana took the initiative to personally help me retrieve the bag from Security. She could have told me to go through prescribed channels but when she heard how unsuccessful I had been, she took the task in hand in a most impressive, capable manner. The eggs-to-order cook Iver was one of our favorites, too.

The beach is gorgeous, the snorkeling decent, the food good, the staff friendly, and our stay very pleasant.

This is a quiet, laid-back resort worth trying. I agree that some of the areas are not well-air-conditioned, e.g., the 3rd floor, and if you need U.S. style hyper-a/c, this may not be the place for you. Water was turned off a couple of times for an hour or so. And it's true that many of the front-desk people are not empowered to take corrective action and one can feel put off. But since the hotel has the features I look for, I have to rate it Excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Atención C, PR at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Geo:

Reviewed March 28, 2014

THE BEST BEACH EVER! I stayed at the Grand Oasis Tulum for 4 nights (not long enough by the way). I would have stayed in a broken down hut just to have access to the snorkeling on this beach. I visited other beaches in the area, but always wanted to come back “home” to the Oasis beach. The beautiful fish literally swim around your legs when you are only knee deep in the water.

I booked the hotel before reading all the reviews based on a good deal we found. After I read the reviews, I was ready for the worst. So to address some of the bad reviews, here is what I experienced: The wait staff was very friendly, the front desk just okay, we enjoyed the food at the buffet every day, the fruit bar especially is impressive, the Mediterranean restaurant was too hard to get reservations for (but the food and service was great when we finally got in), I always had hot water, the shower overflowed slightly so we put towels down (not a big deal), the toilet in the room was broken initially but a maintenance man came and fixed it immediately – no problems after that, the air conditioning in our room worked perfectly. Overall, we were very comfortable.

Tips: 1. Go to the beach early and reserve a good spot with shade. 2. Look for the big lizard that perches near the pool every day. 3. If you snorkel, rent a car to go up the road about a mile to Akumal Beach – pay $5.00 to park and swim with the turtles – I did not see a lot of fish, but swam with 3 turtles ( I was only there about 1 hour). 4. Don’t get sucked into their version of a timeshare. They will offer you a free massage and vacation…..don’t waste your vacation time on it. 5. Get an ocean view – ours was amazing – it felt like I was sleeping 20 feet from the ocean.

We did not bring our kids on this trip, but will on the next one. I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again although I admit this was my first time in the Cancun area and am not comparing it to other all-inclusives in the area.

Room Tip: The Ocean View is worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LissyMarie77

Dear Lissy:

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent our honeymoon at Grand Oasis Tulum (Nov. 17-23). The room was beautiful - king bed, huge balcony, champagne awaiting us upon arrival. Check in was smooth although we did arrive before 3 o'clock checkin....so it was time for some food, drink and a walk around the beach, property, etc. No problems with smells or nonworking AC. The food was outstanding. We had no problem obtaining reservations for each of the restaurants. We were served a special honeymoon dinner which was great! Pools were beautiful and the swim up pool bar was superb! Miguel was such a good bartender!! Also we enjoyed the roof top plunge pools and bar; great place to watch the sunset! And the King of the Mojitos is another great bartender. Now to the tears: While we were on our honeymoon (on Wednesday), my Mother passed away. I needed to make several calls to the US to make arrangements, talk to family members, etc. I went to the lobby to seek assistance in engaging the Wi-Fi to make calls and spoke with Edna Alvarado about the matter. Edna immediately took it upon herself to make all of the calls for me from the hotel phone, did not let me pay for the service and continued to be such a wonderful Godsend to me during this most difficult time. The word was apparently spread around because all of the staff seemed to go out of their way to express condolences, check on our needs, etc. They could not have been more kind and thoughtful. We have been on about a dozen cruises and this was the first all-inclusive resort for us. We REALLY enjoyed it, despite the unfortunate events and would certainly come back to try the Honeymoon thing again. I cannot thank you all enough for your kindness.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shira M

Dear Shira:

We are pleased to greet you at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit. Likewise express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.
We are delighted to have met your expectations and that you had a great honeymoon.
It is a pleasure to serve you and make your stay with us an unforgettable experience.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Room was awful. No air and no running water. Drains smelled horrible and made room smell. Lilly at front desk indicated we should be happy to have a room.

Waiters were amazing and tried hard. Front desk, lobby staff and managers were awful and could care less about us. Lilly and Moises were the worst.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Guest:

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
We are glad we had the opportunity to solve all the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, this way we were able to enhance your experience and change your perception of our service.

We would be pleased to welcome you again on your next vacation.

Best regards

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I went with a friend of mine and we absolutely enjoyed our stay at the Oasis Tulum. Clean rooms, great service, very friendly staff, wonderful beaches.. Excellent Entertainment every night, and a variety of places as well. We had the best entertainment lady... Nadia Garcia....she took us snorkelling, we did aqua size with her and everyday she found us on the beach just to chat and see if we needed anything...very kind and helpful!!! She was amazing. The resort is a really nice size so you really get to know people. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Garden rooms were great!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lynne M

Dear Lynne:

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit.
We are glad you liked and enjoyed our facilities, the great variety of restaurants, as well of the activities and the entertainment.

It was a pleasure to have your family and you as guests, we hope to see you again very soon.

Best regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Grand Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!