“Grand Oasis Paradise”

Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Edmonton, Canada
“Grand Oasis Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a one week stay at the Grand Oasis Tulum. Drive from the airport was really far but check in was a breeze.

ROOM: We stayed in a garden view room (2319) it was supposed to come with a balcony but instead we had one with just a glass window that did not open. Asked for a balcony as we both smoke but they never did have one available.. wasn't too big of a deal as you can smoke right outside of your door in the hallways. The room was always clean and fridge stocked daily. The only thing I did not like about the room was the water pressure was not very good for taking showers.

BEACH: The beach was amazing! Try to get up a little early to pick a spot on the grand side with the nice chairs (they are usually taken pretty early in the morning).
When you walk out into the water you can see little tropical fish everywhere! Tip: bring a banana with you into the water - hold it under the water and you will be surrounded by fish eating the banana.

FOOD: Let me start off by saying the buffet was not very good - It has a good selection but you definitely would not want to eat there every day. Try to book in for the restaurants for a few nights. the Mediterranean was a favorite of ours.
Also, if you book an excursion for 6am - the buffet is not open yet and we could not find any food.. there is supposed to be a snack bar open until 7 am but it was not open - that was extremely disappointing .. we had to force our way into the buffet to grab a couple bananas.

SPA: If you can, book a massage at the spa - It was absolutely amazing. We had a couples massage and we were definitely pampered!

STAFF: The staff was extremely friendly and they work really hard. A HUGE thank you to rooftop bartender Albino - You definitely made this experience more enjoyable for us.

I do want to bring up one big issue we had and that was the favoritism of the Italians.
They bend over backwards to make sure the Italians are taking care of first before any other guest - they even have their own wrist bands (purple).

We had a great time but I do not think we would ever come back to this resort or fly with sunwing ever again.

1 Thank Sarah S
Dear Sarah:

It is amazing to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel. Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.
We are glad you enjoyed the restaurants, facilities, entertainment and personalized service we offer. Our staff is always working hard to satisfy our guests so they can have an amazing experience.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Saskatchewan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

We recently returned from spending the month of February at Grand Oasis Tulum. The staff are excellent, which made our stay very enjoyable. Moises, Lilyanna and Vanessa at the concierge desk took care of all of our concerns, including change of rooms due to sewer smell and connection problems with the WiFi. Some matters took a couple of days to resolve, but we left the concern with them and they continued to work on resolving it. I can not say enough nice things about ALL the staff. Anyone that had a different experience, it makes me wonder about that person treats people, not the staff. I listened to some very rude and impatient guests. Remember, what goes around comes around, so in reading some reviews, take with a large grain of salt.

The al a carte restaurants - the presentation of the food was excellent and taste was good. Unfortunately, the consistency of the preparation was not there. Portion size and the food preparation changed from day to day on everything from appetizers to main course. So, sometimes we thought we knew what we were getting and were disappointed and other times it was an improvement.

The buffets were good with a large selection. There was some repetition from week to week but most people do not stay as long as we did. Yazmin, the hostess in the main buffet in the morning and at lunch was always cheerful and pleasant. Zoe and Rogeilo are excellent waiters and made sure we were looked after. Hopilita makes the best cappuccino in My Coffee and then served appetizers and drinks on the beach. Jorge at the piano bar was also a pleasure to have serve us. Alfredo (in the steak house), I think that was his name, the larger sized gentleman – was also wonderful.

The beach was alright, but, we felt mislead by the pictures and expected it would be like the beach at Tulum. There were rocks in the water that you had to watch for – lots of rocks – it made it hard to walk out and go for a swim. The snorkeling was great. The pools were all great.

The shows were good and the dancers very talented. We did find that the programs had a lot of similarities using different props. The activities staff were not in your face which we appreciated so if you want to participate in activities go to either the pool or beach area where they are located.

If you plan to go, which I would recommend, stay on the GRAND side – it was worth the extra money. There is a definite problem with sewer smell in some rooms. The ocean front room we were moved to was NOT a problem and I would recommend upgrading. It was a beautiful view and nice room.

The problem with this resort rests on the owners and upper management: They need to spend the money to update the rooms – they need upgrading, fix the sewer smell, fix the food preparation inconsistencies and deficiencies, make sure the promotions they are handing out in the welcome packages are current and up to date (our rental information was $30 for a smart car – that apparently was wrong and management would not honor the price), the SPA – we will not even go there – they do not honor discounts provided by the travel agent – even though the hotel is the one that provided the discount coupons. Really, it was $25.00, was it worth telling customers NO – think of the bad PR – word of mouth is powerful.

Overall it is not a 5, 4.5 or 4 star – it is a 3 to 3.5 star a best. They could easily upgrade this rating.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaskatchewanSask
Dear Guest:

We regret not being able to meet your expectations 100%. With your detailed comments, which we appreciate, we do have a different perspective about our service and motivate us to constantly improve in order to offer a higher quality during the stay of our guests.

We appreciate your opinion about your stay.

Best Regards
Benicia, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

A little background on us: this was our eighth visit to the Riviera Maya. We have most recently stayed at the ABR on Akumal Bay, but were turned off last year by the hordes of snorkel tours there. We are most comfortable with a casual, friendly atmosphere, with the beach/snorkeling opportunities a priority for us. We were hoping that the GOT might be our "new spot". Not crazy about all the marble and the modern architecture, but it's not a mega-resort and its location is good. After reading several reviews involving overbooking, we were relieved to arrive in the afternoon and immediately be assigned a room. Not only was it ready, but we had been upgraded to an Oceanfront room (reservation was for Grand Garden). Beautiful view when we opened the curtain! So far, so good.
A couple of things about the room: the window is really a locked sliding door (no balcony) that has been partially sealed. While it maximizes the ocean view, we weren't able to open it to get any fresh air. Two out of the four nights, the wind hit it in a way that vibrated the glass-- it was like having a horn blowing every minute or so right into the room, all night long. Of course, after we reported it and a maintenance worker came to check it out, it wasn't doing it. I think I was able to explain it in Spanish, but he said they would have to work on it from outside, and it would take some time to fix.
Another odd feature of the rooms is the window in the shower/toilet room. While it allows you to look at the view while showering, it also made it impossible to use the toilet at night without the light shining brightly into the bedroom. The mattress was very comfortable.
The staff at the Oasis Plus desk was very helpful. Our shower wouldn't shut off completely, and they sent someone to fix it right away. However, our minibar wasn't functional and it took two days and several reports to get it right. Apparently the maintenance guy claimed he had adjusted it and even "proved" it to the OP staff by bringing them a cold bottle of water that he said he had taken from our fridge-- must have been taken from somewhere else! I brought Liliana a warm Pepsi to show her, and within the next hour we had a new minibar delivered to our room. She took care of business!
In talking with other guests, however, we encountered quite a few with room complaints. Several had been through a couple of rooms, mostly due to a musty smell or sewage issues. One (in the Oasis section) told of their friend's ceiling coming down due to water leakage. We were happy to be on the Grand side when we heard about that (although even in our "fancy" room, we had whiffs of sewage). Too bad-- I actually felt very comfortable walking through the Oasis side-- it wasn't as opulent and the grounds were nicely kept.
We always found something good to eat. The fresh fruit and the guacamole were exceptional in the buffet. We tried several of the reservable restaurants, and enjoyed those as well. My husband liked the Steakhouse the best, while the beef at the Mediterranean was my favorite. It was VERY dark in that restaurant, however-- we needed the light of a phone to have any chance of reading the menu.
Drinks were good. The martini bar served the most tasty ones, with the best quality alcohol, and the bartender was friendly and cheerful. My husband was very happy with his gin on the rocks, although they ran out of Beefeaters our first day and he had to "settle" (lol) for Tanqueray.
The beach is wonderful. We snorkeled several times, and found lots of healthy coral, large schools of fish, a couple of big rays, and a variety of sea life. The current can be a bit strong, and we learned to exit before we drifted down past the Oasis-- the surf pounds pretty hard down there. The morning after a big thunderstorm was exceptionally calm. We were able to stay out a little longer and venture into areas that had been tough in previous days--GREAT snorkeling that day. The sea was full of kayaks, paddleboats, swimmers, snorkelers, and even a paddleboard-- the most active day by far during our stay.
I have to give accolades to the staff. Everywhere we looked, they were cleaning, painting, gardening, serving, and helping. We met Dulce soon after we arrived, and she answered many of our questions. We were asked several times by other staff if we needed anything, and if our stay was going well. They are exceptional.
I felt pretty uncomfortable with the whole wristband thing. It was awkward to be behind a rope on the beach that others couldn't access, and to eat in restaurants that weren't open to everyone. Most of the other guests we met were very friendly, although there seems to be even another layer of stratification-- one day we couldn't enter the smaller buffet (Dos Lunas), as it was reserved exclusively for the Italians. I was impressed with how many parents there were actively engaged with their kids, and most guests were very considerate and well-behaved.
It was a fun trip. Nothing really to complain about-- heck, you're on a beach in Mexico, how can that be bad?!-- but not sure we'll be back. It has the feel of a resort that is trying to be "grand", but somehow misses the mark. It seems that rather making an investment in the property, they use the "bandaid" approach to keep things up.

Room Tip: Oceanfront has beautiful view, but Grand Garden has openable windows.
4 Thank maryf55
Dear Guest:

It is unfortunate to have not met your expectations. Your comment has been taken into account and will be referred to the appropriate area taking the necessary steps to correct these inconsistencies in service and provide better care in the future.

No more for now we welcome your feedback.

Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I just returned from our 2nd visit to Grand Oasis Tulum and we loved it even more than the first time. It is a smaller, more personable resort that doesn't require a shuttle to get to the beach or any part of the hotel, unlike some of the other huge resorts. It is quiet and peaceful, one could even say serene, and the perfect place to go if you truly wish to relax on vacation. If you have kids, they have a kids club so you can have peace and quiet. They have made some very positive changes to the hotel but their best feature without a doubt is the staff. They have a knack for making every guest feel like they are at home. Case in point: We arrived at the hotel quite late at night, after all the restaurants were already closed. The food and beverage manager (Joaquin Gallegos) personally greeted us in the lobby and asked if we were hungry (we were starving), and then had the chef personally prepare a meal for us! I can't think of any other hotel that has ever done that for me.

Speaking of food, the variety and quality of the food is excellent. There is something for every palate and it is abundant. Always clean and operated like a well oiled machine.

I would like to say a special thank you to some of the staff that were especially helpful: Fiona Fernandez for her attention to making this trip happen, Manuel Soria for being a hotel manager extraordinaire, Joaquin Gallegos for his total commitment to excellence, Dulce the best yoga instructor in Mexico, and finally Lilianna and Ana Maria, the most personable and helpful concierges I have ever come across.

If you are considering a trip to Riviera Maya, I would wholeheartedly recommend Grand Oasis Tulum, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the portion of the hotel where the rooms open up onto the beach. We were literally step...
4 Thank Joel S
Dear Joel:

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Beyond our expectations! Room clean, food delish,beach beautiful, service friendly, events fun. Nothing like yoga on the beach. Nidia, Mayra, and Dulce, events staff was so super! Always a smile and fun! Thanks be back some day!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie H
Dear Julie:

Widely appreciate their comments, they help us to improve our service constantly and thus provide the best vacation experience. Thank you again for your preference and we are going to ge waitinfg for your next vacation.

Norway, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

First of all I would like to say that this was the best vacation that I have ever been on. I just got back last night after spending a week at this resort as I was celebrating my anniversary. I have been on a number of other vacations but I wanted to try our first all inclusive. As we all do, we scour the internet on our chosen vacation spot for reviews, comments and pictures from previous tourists. I had done my research on the Grand Oasis Tulum and frankly got worried about some of the reviews. When I booked with my travel agent she said that this was a very nice resort and booked us on the Grand Side. Any one who considers booking here need to realize that this resort, although on the same property has two distinctive sides. The standard Oasis side and the much nicer Grand side. Having stayed on the Grand side and touring the entire property I would say if you come here, stay on the Grand side. Why the difference. Well first and foremost by staying on the Grand side you have the full access to the entire resort, not just the the Grand Side. With the Oasis side you are limited to just your side, not being able to take advantage of the other restaurants and amenities that the Grand Side offers. Also by staying on the Grand side you can, if you choose to, get day passes to explore other Oasis properties. So here is my break down of the week and hopefully will help you make you decision on whether to come here or not.
As I did my research on this property I read stories of over booking and when people arrive they did not have a room for them. I looked up and contacted representatives of the resort and confirmed my stay.

ARRIVAL AT AIRPORT: Be prepared for long lines and a bit of chaos when going through customs etc!!! On our package that we chose we used Olympus tours for the shuttle service that got us to and from the resort. They were waiting for us outside. This resort is about an hour and a half from the Cancun Airport with all of the other stops they need to make with others that are arriving as well. Our plane was late getting in so of course we were delayed in our check in. This is your first opportunity to get some information about the area from a local. Our driver was very nice and gave us tips about where to go, where not to go and how to get around should we decide to leave the resort.

ARRIVAL AT RESORT: We arrived at the security gate at the resort and our names were checked to make sure we were supposed to be there. Once dropped off we went to the front desk and was quickly brought over to the Oasis Plus desk which is a concierge service desk. This was who I dealt with all week. The lobby was spacious and very nice, a bit dark but very nice. The package I had was a "My Time" which apparently afforded me additional amenities. We were greeted with a cold drink, a cool towel and very friendly staff. As quickly as we came in were were all checked in, given some discount passes and allowed to book our premium reservations to the restaurants ahead of time. So far my contact with staff was awesome (Ill go in depth about staff later). Our Bellhops name was Leonardo. This man was very friendly introduced himself, grabbed all of our luggage and huffed and puffed his way to our room. We tried to help him but he was determined to do it for us. He was very very courteous.

ROOM: Our room was considered a GARDEN VIEW on the third floor room 2331. The room was very clean and because it was our anniversary they had towel swan figures on the bed, flower petals surrounding it, a bottle of cold champagne and fresh fruit on the table and a personalized note from the Manager Manuel (A lot more about him later). After the horror stories I read the room was way better than I expected. I always had warm or hot water in my shower and the cleaning staff except for one day did a very very good job. (one day they were late and hurried doing the room) The view from the room was nice we had a very nice balcony that overlooked four pools, the entrance to the spa and the entrance to the lobby vest to the infinity pool. So even though I didn't have an Ocean view so to speak, it was still awesome. Oh and really on a vacation like this how often are you actually in your room?

RESTAURANTS: There are a number of restaurants that you can go to. I tried most everything. I found the food at the buffets were good. A bit bland because they have to feed the masses, but extra seasoning and such were provided to you should you need to spice it up. I always found something I liked to eat. Their were two buffet lunch areas, one was Arrecifes and the other was Dos Lunas. Arrecifes was definitely for the larger crowd whereas Dos Lunas was more of a restaurant setting with a buffet still though. The other restaurants that you got to eat at were good as well. They all serve multiple courses. Each of these “buffet” restaraunts offer a grill for fresh cooking. In the am Omelets or eggs how you like them, in the afternoon and evening meats, fish etc. We found that in the mornings the grill chefs were amazing and very nice. In the mornings we really enjoyed Marianna at the Main Buffet as she was efficient, made a killer omelet and was super nice. There was a variety of toppings you can customize it and make it what you like. In the afternoon we liked either the regular buffet or the one at Dos Lunas. The afternoon chef Jorge#1 was amazing. He would cook up fresh chicken, beef or seafood (selections depending on day) and then you can season to taste. Overall the restaurants were good and I see no reason why you can find something you like.

STAFF: I want to tell you about the amazing staff that actually made my vacation the best. As the week went on my wife and I were able to gain a great rapport and friendship with a number of the staff. We were often greeted by name. I HAVE TO SAY THAT ALTHOUGH THIS PLACE MAY NOT BE RATED A FIVE STAR. THE STAFF MADE IT THAT WAY FOR US. I MAY NOT MENTION ALL OF THE STAFF THAT MADE IT GREAT BUT HERE ARE SOME OF THEM

Manuel Soria- Sub Director (Manager): Manuel was super awesome. I communicated with him prior to and throughout my stay with him. What an experience. He is a new manager to the resort and seems to work very hard to accommodate his guests needs. He really made this special for us.

Lilliana @ Oasis Plus Concierge Desk: I dealt mostly with her. A super and very pleasant hard worker. She did my scheduling for reservations and answered any and all questions I had. Towards the middle of the week it transition from asking questions to just great chats.

Ana, Abril and Vanessa - @ Oasis Plus Concierge Desk: These three complimented the job Lilliana was already doing for us. They were great as well.

WAIT STAFF:

Jaoquin; (Bar and Restaurant Assistant Manager); Jaoquin greeted us on the first night and continued to check in with us every day and often a couple of times. He always greeted us by name and was really nice to get to know.

Hepolita: Beach side waitress: Every day she always had a great smile. As the week progressed she knew exactly what we liked to drink and seemed very happy to be at work.

Orlando #1 (waiter); Orlando worked in a number of the restaurants and served us a number of times. He too knew our name by the end of the week. Always seemed very happy to be working and was very good.

Marisala (waitress): She worked in the main buffet and we sat in her section a number of times. Always greeted us and knew what we liked in our coffee etc without asking. Great server!!

Gerado (Waiter Dos Lunas): Probably one of my favorite servers. We developed a joking banter with him that lasted all week. Very very good.

Orlando #2 ( Martini Bar daytime) : Super nice guy knew us by name and knew what we liked to drink whether it was only juice or a cocktail. Made super great drinks. Always had smile.

Jorge#2 (Martini bar evening): Favorite bartender - Great personality, very fast, made awesome drinks, super funny too. If you go there hang out with him and chat him up.

SPA:

On Thursday it rained for a bit and we took advantage of the SPA. Holy crap folks this was amazing. They pampered us as we entered and did not stop until we left. Lugo and Jessie were awesome. I highly recommend a trip there.

BEACH

I loved the beach the Grand side had a a section roped off for that side only. The water level never really gets too deep all the way to the reef. Great for snorkeling. I think I spent 20 hours in the water as I brought my own gear (which I recommend. I bought some for under $20 at Olympia Sports). Get onto the beach early to claim your spot if you want good chairs and a thatched roof covered stand. All you need to do is put your beach towels onto the chairs and no one bothers your spot. At least I never had a problem.

EXCURSIONS:

I never took any except for going to Playa Del Carmen once to check out shopping. I found that our first all inclusive the resort was just fine.

So should you choose to go shopping you have a couple of choices. A taxi which usually waits at end of road will take you to Playa for $30.00, or you can walk to the end of the road and wait for the public shuttle vans that go by all of the time. Its $4 each way per person to go into Plays. The vans stop a lot to drop off and pick up people, mostly locals. It was very convenient and I had no issues. They drop you off a couple of blocks away from the 5th Ave shopping area near where all of the shuttles park. It was easy to locate and navigate.

MONEY:

Not knowing if I needed Pesos or not I exchanged $100 worth at the airport. I actually still have some with me. I really only used them for tips.

TIPS:

Whether you choose to tip or not is up to you as this is all inclusive and gratuities are so called “ Included”. I will tell you that I chose to tip. The staff here made the vacation for me and I was very generous, not because I had to be but because I wanted to be. I set aside money specifically for this purpose and why not. They worked very very hard and actually deserved more.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Although we only took advantage of a number of the evening shows, there are many activities that the resort offers. The beach show at the beginning of the week was just ok. The big concern for me was when they were playing with the fire and spinning it around the lighter fluid was spraying off of the ropes and staffs and hitting the crowd.
The Mexican show was ok. The Mariachi band was way too loud as they put music through an amplifier which it did not need. It over powered the singer and you could not hear her. The dancer were ok as well.
Caribbean show: Ok this was much better. Vibrant costumes, great dancing.
Circus show: Best of the week. Don’t miss this one if you come.

SUMMARY:

For my first all inclusive I would say it was great. The staff again was awesome. The facility was a bit older but they were always doing something for upkeep and maintenance. I will most certainly go back to this resort and bring my two daughters next time so they experience what I did. My only thought is with such a great time this time has the bar been set very high for my next trip.

I heard of a number of other issues some of the other guests were having wither with bad rooms, no hot water etc. I never had a problem so I have given you my thought. Bottom line do your research. Im very glad I came here.

Room Tip: Grand side very nice. Remember how much are you actually in your room?????
5 Thank Henry G
Dear Henry:

Union, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

we had a great time. the grounds are amazing and the staff is friendly and helpful. One highlight for me were the yoga classes every morning and evening. The yoga instructor, Dulce Maria was an excellent instructor. She inspired us with her energy and brought about a sense of peace for us in this beautiful place. Thank you Dulce!!
Our room was a bit small and could have used some upgrading, the air conditioner was noisy also. The towels were very old and in very poor condition. One other problems to point out... Be wary of anyone offering you a welcome package when you check in. it is a scam and they want to try to get you to buy into a future vacation there. Apparently they do not work for the hotel but they rent space in the lobby. They hounded us for days. We had to find alternate routes to avoid the lobby. We finally complained and they were spoken to and did not bother us again. All of that aside we had a great vacation. My recommendation to the hotel would be to get new towels and get rid of those people in the lobby, then it will be fantastic!

Room Tip: ask for a room that is not near the maintenance closet. they start working at 6AM and it gets noisy!
Dear Irene:

It is a great pleasure to receive feedback on our service and this motivates us to keep improving and so ensure a high quality service. We look forward to welcome you again in our hotel where we welcome you with open arms and the satisfaction of seeing you again.
Again, we appreciate your trust in us. We are at your service.

Best regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,571 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,451 reviews

Been to Grand Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!