“Love it and can't wait to go back!”
Review of Grand Oasis Tulum

Grand Oasis Tulum
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was our second trip to Grand Oasis Tulum. We went for 13 days this July and went back for 10 days in October. We have 4 kids and they absolutely love it which gave the opportunity for my husband and I to actually relax. It felt very safe and the view was gorgeous!

The staff is great! Shout out to the best concierge ever- Ingrid! She, Belen and the rest of the concierge team made our stay great. Wencislao was great at the Happy Chicken along with his brother. Noe was a true professional server. Filiberto and Guillermo also took good care of us. Manuel, Hugo and Giovani were excellent and made our stay memorable. Orlando, Jorge and Ricardo were also very good and Nancy was very caring. I truly enjoyed getting to talk to all of them and hearing their stories.

The entertainment staff was great! In the kids club we had Ely- she was very caring with our four children, (they can't wait to see her again) and Adriana who played many games with them. Rei and Hector gave us wonderful snorkel tours. Simona whipped us into shape with Yoga, Pilates and Aqua-robics, hands down the best teacher you will find! We made wonderful memories during her classes. Hector was our patient dance professor (who didn't give up on us despite our disappointing attempts at times) and managed to get the Latin in us out! He was a joy to meet and dance with as he played a great selection of Latin grooves at night. This team made our vacation fun and full of memories, thank you all!

The beach is breath taking and our rooms were superb! We enjoyed every minute of our vacation. The Spa was just right, intimate and relaxing. We did many treatments during our stay. Reyna and Eli were good.

October was less crowded than July. Due to this a lot of staff we remembered from our first trip had been released and there seemed to be a bit of low morale among the staff. They are all very hard working but seemed like they could use some help. I think there was a lot of pressure on the employees to perform without the adequate resources to be able to do so. I will take this time to also give a shout out to the great staff members we met in July and that are no longer here- Guadalupe, Jorge, Ana, Gabriel, Joel, Denisse and Eucebio.

Overall we love this place, and can't wait to go back. We have been visiting the Cancun and Riviera Maya every year for the last 11 years and this is by far the most beautiful beach and overall experience. The guests that have come here are also very nice and we have made new friends with whom we still stay in touch with. It is a very welcoming and relaxed environment and very different than the Cancun hotel zone.

We look forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: Can't beat the ocean front rooms on the Grand Side. Absolutely gorgeous view!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Gracelv777
Write a ReviewReviews (2,198)

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

This resort is dirty, food is bad, the resort is old; the only good thing about this resort was the concierge, Tatiana. She was great, we were traveling with 2 small children, when we complained upon our arrival Tatiana immediately got us a room at the Grand Oasis in Cancun and put us on a private taxi. Thank you Tatiana!!!

Stayed: November 2013
11  Thank mnabiel
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at Grand Oasis Tulum for 8 days in October, the weather was sunny all the days. This is our 6th all-inclusive resort in Mexico, Riviera Maya and we loved it the most. Of course, it had some negatives, that we hope will be fixed by the next year we might go there.

We are a family of 5, parents, 2 boys and a baby girl. We got 2nd floor oceanfront room with 2 beds and a crib. We asked for the ground floor, were promised that the next day it will be available (didn't unpack because of that), but when asked again the next day, they said it's unavailable, promised the next day, and the third day, they asked for extra money for it (then we noticed that on the ground floor they only have one king bed, never two queen beds (it really would be nice that they would be able to accommodate families too on the ground floor).... so we just stayed where we were, which was pretty awesome ocean view of probably the best beach in Yucatan :) but no balcony. Room is beautiful, new contemporary furniture. Beds are very comfortable.

The most we loved about this resort is that it's not crowded, everything by the beach, restaurants, buffet, even from the lobby you get the ocean view. And the second reason we loved it so much, is the beach it's located on, that beach is awesome! We have been to a number of other beaches in the area, but this one beats them all! No waves, shallow water up to the reef, clearest turquoise water (on other beaches it was turquoise color, but not clear), snorkeling is very nice, there is a reef right in front of the resort. You can see all kinds of tropical fish, underwater plants, big shells and other sea creatures. The pier from the resort makes the beach cozy too.

FOOD. The food was good, actually very good. I think they have a great main chef that makes delicious meals out of ordinary meat and vegetables, but you won't find any good hams or cheeses in a buffet there (that's how they save a lot of money on that I guess) Such nice all kinds of bread rolls, pastries, tasty jams, delicious cakes, preserved fruits, like papaya and pineapple. Good selection of fresh fruits. The Grand only restaurants are very good food-wise, but service is not (read about the service below). We liked the Brazilian restaurant for dinner, be prepared to come hungry, it serves a lot of meats kebob style. The rooftop restaurant food was also very nice, it serves like 8 courses of small meals, they all were good.

SERVICE. Service at the buffet and the restaurants is very slow, it seems that the waiters are just trying to stretch their day by letting as less people through their tables as they can. Tips don't really help with that, we tried… At lunch time (Careyes) it takes almost 2 hours to eat (we could be at the beach swimming and tanning for 1.5 hour instead of that) but food is very tasty, guacamole, ceviche, octopus rings, smoked salmon, soups, all very good. Special word about the "room number"guy, Carlos, at the buffet, (sometimes he appears at the Brasilian restaurant), he is so not pleasant, really he would benefit from learning some manners, like saying hello and how can I help you, he just pops at the table and asks for a room number, then he would come back and make jokes with kids about bringing them tequila, when tables are not cleaned up at the outside seating area of buffet (which happens all the time, remember they try to get as less people thru their tables) and we try to help ourselves to clean a table and get utensils and napkins, Carlos would boss us around that we are not allowed to do it. So basically Carlos is almost a deal breaker for us when we think about going to Grand Oasis next year.

CAFE. Coffee and Me Cafe is awesome! Very nice service, very good coffee and pastries. It's open all day, at lunch, when buffet is closed it's nice to grab a sandwich or a cake from the caffe. We had coffee from there couple of times a day, one thing is in the morning you have to bring your cup of espresso from cafe to the buffet to have it with your breakfast (they don't have coffee from espresso machine in the buffet, only the drip coffee machine).

KID'S CLUB. We really liked the kid's club. The ladies that work there are so attentive, smart, very good with kids. Our boys wished to go there all the time, although we wanted them to swim and be on the beach most of the time, sometimes we let them be in the kid's club for an hour or two, so we could have a more peaceful lunch :)

DRINKS. We don't drink alcohol, but wanted to have a tasty refreshing drinks. So sometimes we would order virgin bahama mamas, or their so called "fruit" smoothies. They were NOT good, made from artificial stuff, no fruits, just ice and fake flavor. The Health Bar should help with that according to their menu, (they would set up the health bar with fresh flowers and coconuts and menus) but was never open even once during all 8 days we were there.

SHOWS: We only started going to the shows the last two days of our being there as they are kind of late for our kids. But we liked them a lot. Professional team performs interesting things. We wish we would discover them earlier.

All in all, the resort is great (for the price we paid), the facilities feel like your are a VIP guest, very beautiful, resort outlay is very convenient, beach can not be better, food is delicious; service at the food places is the only thing that really needs to change.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank SunnyWinter
Reviewed November 11, 2013

First of all I want to say that we are experienced travelers to the Riviera Maya and have stayed at numerous resorts..............with that said we found Grand Oasis Tulum to be close to the top of our wish list.

Going in we were aware of the negative reviews........but the price couldn't be beat for what we booked. We were booked into a Grand Garden view and due to medical issues I cannot do stairs well.

We arrived very early (11am) to hotel and did not expect our room to be ready.........but we were with swim suits and "bubba kegs" packed in our carry on to change.

Edna at the concierge desk was probably one of the most accommodating people we have ever met in Riviera Maya! She checked us in and informed us that she knew we could not handle stairs and that a room would be ready around 3pm...............no problem! Off we went to lunch and exploring...........then pool! Edna came out to the pool to say she had a room ready and wanted us to look at it. It was 1st floor but you had to traverse 6 tile stairs to access it. (Why in the Caribbean all resorts insist on tile floors near water I will never understand.) We determined that this room was probably not a good idea but if they had nothing else it would be fine and we would work around it. She said she was going to talk to her manager. So back to the pool we went. Not 1/2 hour later she was back with a big smile on her face..................we were upgraded to a 1st floor beachfront room with a view to die for! Thank you Edna.

Room:
Gorgeous. Air at time was tooooo cold but we didn't touch thermostat for fear of not getting it back.
Safe had to be changed out and after 3 tries..........success. It is bolted into the floor of the closet and the closing bolt would not work. All done within an hour of calling.
TV had to be changed out and that only took 20 minutes.
Water pressure great............no power blackouts.
Room immaculate and always done before noon except for one day. Fridge stocked daily.
Bed faced picture window out to ocean.

Food:
We usually eat at the buffets as we don't have to dress. However we did eat at Careyes and the Brazilian Steak house. Meals were awesome. I highly suggest the Mexican pre-historic soup at Careyes...........wow!

Service:
My husband had to be taken to the hospital one night due to extreme reaction to a food allergy (sesame). Called front desk and they had the night concierge Vincente (awesome) and another security gentleman who had some medical knowledge come to room. Dr. was called (he was in Playa) and we waited. Vincente was in constant contact with someone on the time of arrival of Dr. and Ambulance. Vincente could not have been more kind and supportive during this whole episode and was concerned about my well being as well as my husbands. Dr. finally came and determined that we needed to go to hospital (read my post in Akumal forum).

The next day we went to concierge desk and Vanessa (another great employee) made us reservations at Careyes and she noted on reservation..............no sesame. When we got to dinner that night not one.............but 3 restaurant employees came to table and notified my husband that the chef made sure no sesame in food. Wow! Now that's caring.

Pools:
We found "our spot" at the quiet pool which is only about 2 foot deep and that's where we stayed most of trip with me on my floatie.
Infinity pool was awesome however one of the rungs of the ladder was missing and a critical point of exit for me (I am very short....and again my knees) so my husband had to come and help me out. Hopefully they get that fixed soon.

As with all resorts there were a few negatives. No one informed us that renovations were taking place on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the garden rooms. The power tool noise was intrusive to a quiet time at the pool. They will have the elevator installed within the next few weeks.

A suggestion would be to have a daily printed "activity" sheet put in all the rooms the night before so people could see what was "really" open and what else was going on. I know they give the little brochure when you check in about meal times, activities...........but this would be up to date. An example: Buffet was not open for lunch most days so "surprise" you either had to eat on patio with limited choice or dry off and go to another restaurant they had set up for lunch. This was not posted and confusing. Also a TV channel guide would be nice.

Lobby could seriously use more lighting at night!!!!!!!!!!

Rained most of the days we were there but of course that's not the resort's fault. Still got a tan!

This resort was the perfect size for us. Beautiful beach, close proximity to all restaurants, and quiet! Our vacation mantra is "feed me, water me, put me to bed!"

A shout out to Ricardo and Hipolita at the beach bar...........you guys are awesome. Luis in housekeeping and Georgio at the buffet.......thank you.

Room Tip: 1st floor ocean view is awesome. You are so close to ocean you feel one really big high tide will t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dandBallGround_GA
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here the last week of October. We had 2 days with rain and then great weather to enjoy the fabulous beach and the water. The ocean is warm and "user-friendly", and the pools were warm as long as the sun was out. The location made our whole trip very enjoyable.

We had a 2nd floor room facing the ocean. The view was incredible but we very much missed having a balcony and listening to the waves at night. You need to decide how important this is to you. I don't think I would do that again. Otherwise, the room was fine. Our AC worked very well the entire week, water pressure and temp worked fine, and our room was always cleaned and frig restocked without our having to ask. The floors get very damp, be cautious. To dry your swimsuits, use the rack in the closet, and put it in front of the window in the morning. The bright sun will dry your suits.

We were happy with all of the restaurants, except Italian. The rooftop dinner was fabulous, and we also liked Careyes. We could not seem to get into Al Sur. Be aware that the Brazilian menu is pre-set and mainly different meat on kabobs. It was very heavy. Also desserts were not the best except the ice cream. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet and always sat outside. We love cats so enjoyed seeing them.

Drinks were hit and miss depending on your bartender. They all try hard but there is only so much that can be done with the mixers they have. Unfortuately the health bar was closed our entire week. This was very disappointing as we like fresh fruit in our drinks. They did not even have bananas to add to drinks. I advise staying away from the mango drinks as they had a very bad aftertaste. The Bahama Mamas were OK and the kahlua and cream was OK. We often ordered champagne because it was consistent and we knew what we were getting. I also would get coffee from the coffee shop and then bring it to the bar for their "Bailey's alternative" to be added.

The location is fantastic. It was very easy to take the collectivo to the Tulum Ruins. We used pesos, and it was $60 pesos for 2 round-trip, and the same for Akumal. We walked the beach into Akumal and it was not a hard walk but be sure to have water shoes on. We swam in the bay - beautiful! and had lunch at La Buena Vida. This was by far our best meal of the trip. We had one order of Ceviche and one order of fish tacos, and they were both fantastic. Also we ordered their fruit smoothies with a shot of rum and they were the best drinks of the trip as well. This is well worth the trip. We then took the collectivo back to the resort, and again was very easy to do. We found the same souvenirs at the airport as they had in the shops in Akumal, and they were cheaper, and the liquor also was cheaper at the airport.

We used Canada Transfers and I highly recommend them. Everything went very smoothly and the customer service in the planning phase, as well as the travel time, was extraordinary.

Overall, if you are not expecting a high-level food and drink experience, I think this resort offers alot for the price. It was much lower to get an ocean-front room here than other places, and I really liked the small size and intimacy of the resort. It was easy to find food and the food was adequate, and very good in some circumstances. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, particularly Hector, Noe, Jorge, Orlando, and Manuel at breakfast.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the location and go to the Tulum Ruins and Akumal.
3  Thank Tangelo22
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The short version: This place is great; a beautiful beach, nice contemporary hotel, and flowing drinks and food. It has a problem with consistency but relax and go with it.

The full version: We spent a week here with a group of 13. I was very weary because of the sporadic reviews here on TripAdvisor. It seemed one would like it, then two would complain. I even called the travel agent about changing resorts but we were in our penalty phase, so we weren’t interested in losing money! Our entire group is glad we did not move hotels, and we all had a wonderful time! I’ll try to address a few of my worries before we went.

First off, the hotel is beautiful, as are the grounds and beach. All of the employees are professional. There are a few odd things with the hotel, but you are in Mexico and out of your element. The first is that there is no elevator. Actually, there is but it is out of order and boarded up. While laying at the pool one day I noticed it, otherwise I may not have realized at one time there was one. No elevator doesn’t matter; the hotel is only 3 stories high. I was on the ground floor so it really didn’t matter to me!

We had a ground floor room. I hopped out the pivoting wall (details below) and we were 19 steps to the water! Amazing! Seriously, you are so close to the water that if a tsunami came at night, you’re a goner! There are no ocean front balconies! This seems to be a point of confusion; there are balconies by the pool but NONE oceanfront. Don’t believe whatever you might interpret on their website, or what your travel agent might say. No Ocean front balconies! Every ocean front room has this huge glass panel (probably 12 foot wide by 9 foot tall). If you are on the ground floor you can get the key from the front desk to unlock it. This huge panel has a pivot in the middle that allows the entire thing to twist with half coming into the room and half hanging out on the beach. It is a little awkward but really cool to have the beach and ocean almost become part of your room! The rooms are decorated and furnished really cool with use of thick glass as doors and walls. We were able to go into several rooms since there were 13 of us, and there were several different setups. The room has a mini fridge that was always stocked and plenty of towels and toiletries. The only down part of the room would have to be the smell of mildew. We got used to it immediately, but every time we came in we smelled it briefly. I didn’t use the drawers as they were stronger with it and my clothes would have soaked it up. There is plenty of space and shelves in the closet, so we used that instead. It is crazy humid in Mexico and when you open the pivoted wall the floor feels like it has a ¼” of water on it almost immediately. That may be the reason for the mildew smell. Also, the wall didn’t seal up well and during a storm one night the tile floor got wet in the area in front of the pivoting wall. None of these things are deal breakers and we just chalked it up to being in a different country!

None of the common areas are air conditioned except the lobby. It was air conditioned one day or 2. BUT, why does this matter? I’m not hanging out in the lobby, if you plan to then you should go on vacation to Oklahoma or Minnesota! None of the restaurants were air conditioned either, but they were fine and usually had an outdoor seating or a huge glass panel that was open. You are on the beach! Relax and enjoy it! We dressed up (slacks, button ups, and shoes) one evening then wore shorts and collared shirts the other evenings and were fine in any of the bars or restaurants. Now this is where things get a little odd.

The restaurants and bars are very inconsistent. They either do not know what they are serving or just make something up and serve it. We had lots of different pina coladas and the flavor ran all over the place! They are essentially free, so we kinda enjoyed the “mystery”! When eating, expect a long wait unless you are at the buffet! I mean 1.5 hours at least! At dinner, the food was usually close to what it was called, but sometimes it was completely wrong. They told us cheesecake was for dessert one evening, and what came out was some brownie/oatmeal thing. The next evening they mentioned cheesecake and we all stayed away from it knowing it was a brownie/oatmeal thing, but then we noticed another table ordered it and it actually was cheesecake! I think they serve whatever they have and rely on the communication barrier for grace! We ate the buffet two nights, the Italian one night, Brazilian once, and Mediterranean the last night. The last night was the best because of the service, the presentation, the atmosphere (in the rooftop bar), and the servers. We had our own bartender and server who were wonderful! The food is all fine no matter where you go, just realize it’s a little different. Look at it like a version of whatever you are ordering! Don’t expect Grandma’s spaghetti from a hotel in Mexico! We had lunch one day at the seafood place closest to the beach. It was great. They have a late night snack area open from 9 or 11 until 1. This is filled with all the left overs from the restaurants. Breakfast was always at the buffet and the best thing I found was the omelets the chef makes. Really good; he uses the eggs to form a burrito almost with all your stuff inside. Drinks are weird so just bring a bottle of water. Speaking of water, we called ahead and were assured the water was filtered. I stuck to bottled water and watched various others in our group drink the water. I accidentally started drinking the water 2 days before we left. No one ever had any issues because of it out of 13 of us! The ice is all in bags so we ate/drank that the entire time.

We had 4 from our group go out fishing with the guys that have their boats out on the beach. This was separate from the hotel and booked directly through the guys on the boats. I believe they paid $160 for 3 hours. They caught 3 good size Barracuda and the chef at the hotel cleaned and cooked them up for us. It took an hour longer than he told us (normal for the food service here) but it was amazing and you should definitely do this if you can!

I asked some of the employees if they had electricity problems because of the other reviews I read here. Most of them laughed and said the whole region had some. We even had our travel company call before we left, when TripAdvisor had me freaking out, and they acknowledged that the whole region had as well. We did not have any issues with electricity. However, the air conditioner in our room worked amazing the first 3 nights then couldn’t catch up the last 2. But, many of our friends mentioned that our room was quite a bit cooler than theirs, but we had ours pretty cold. No one ever complained about any air issues, just that our room was cold. Nice problem to have in humid Mexico!

The band confusion: We stayed and booked the Grand Oasis. We had black bands and could eat/drink wherever and whatever was open. I spoke with a concierge and he mentioned they have 4 colors of adult bands and 2 for kids. One for Grand, 1 for Oasis, and 2 different ones for 2 travel companies. I know that they were putting some or all of the people in the Grand Oasis rooms, and the Oasis seemed a little deserted. Who cares, I’d call that a smart use of facilities. We still had our “Grand” bracelets if we thought we needed to feel privileged or something. None of it was ever an issue.

Beach equipment: When looking at their website it mentions kayaks and snorkeling. There are no kayaks and no loaner snorkel equipment. They will come by and take you on a free snorkel trip, but if you just ask for snorkel gear they say they do not have any. 4 of us brought our own, and a few stopped and got some on a trip into Playa. Make sure you have some sort of sandal or show if you head out to snorkel; lots of rocks and urchins. It is beautiful snorkeling though. We went on a Tulum and snorkel trip that took us to a beach with turtles, and outside of seeing a few turtles and stingrays, the snorkeling at the hotel beat it big time!

Overall the employees seemed very happy and helpful. I remember Alma, and Hector, and Carlos were all awesome. Hugo sucks most of the time with his slamming your drinks, rolling of eyes, and looking right past you so management, do yourself a favor and get rid of him! I don’t care if he’s the owners’ son, which he must be for you to put up with it! All the other bartenders and servers are awesome and want you to be happy. We took plenty of ones and tipped everyone. No one ever expected it and was always grateful and never made a big deal out of it or the amounts. I know it says it’s included but what is $50 over the course of 4 days?

So in closing, this is a beautiful hotel. The food is fine, drinks are fine, and you will have a good time. You will have to go to the bar to get your drinks if the hotel is busy, or if you drink them fast, and the drink flavors differ, and it is hot in the common areas, but come on! You are on vacation in a foreign country! Relax and take it all in! I would go again and if I stayed elsewhere, that place would be compared constantly to this place. I’m not sure how well another place down there would stack up!

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded when you arrive!
13  Thank Ready4MoreBeach
Atención C, PR at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Guest:

It is a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and that you received such excellent service.
We are proud to say we have a team always ready to give their best at all times to make every single one of our guests feel at home and make sure they have a wonderful vacation. We will certainly congratulate them for their amazing job.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again on your next visit.
Best regards.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I don't normally review...but felt I had to due to the extreme circumstances, plus I know I weighed my choice of resort so heavily on Trip Advisor reviews!
Our vacation began at Grand Oasis Tulum....expecting 7 days of fun and feeling 'grand'! That wads NOT the case. Grand Oasis Tulum was practically closed. We paid for the grand side, yet they upgraded practically everyone to grand just to fill that side of hotel instead of both. Only one restaurant open....it was buffet, and it was horrible, couldn't even find anywhere to order a drink to go with dinner! We lasted ONE night, on the most uncomfortable bed ever, there before we gave up and they transferred us to Grand Oasis Cancun. (Side note...this must happen a lot as they have a entire CLUB name for the transfer-Runaway Club) false advertising on web and on paperwork been inside your room...as they listed restaurants they didn't even have, plus restaurants that didn't even serve what they advertised. One place for breakfast, only one place for dinner...we didn't even last to figure out where to eat for lunch before we HAD to vacate. Hotel was beautiful, however far from everything...and we even joked that they didn't pay their power bill because it was so dark inside and out.

Grand Oasis Cancun is huge...but dated. We stayed directly in Pyramid, however had access to entire resort. More restaurants but still difficult to find food when wanted, all restaurants and bars have only certain hours and days open, which change without ANY notice. Plus difficult to find bars to get drinks. No hot tub can be found on entire resort grounds.
No one could speak English, making it very difficult to even order food, drinks, or find other amenities within resort. Many times we'd ask how to find someplace and was told to go here or there...only to find that that person pointed us on the wrong direction. We understand the language barrier, as we are foreigners...but we have traveled a lot, but felt the barrier was over the top at this resort.
They call themselves the entertainment resort, however the day of the shows, they would cancel them, making the entertainment very difficult to find.
This is more of a low end hotel than an All Inclusive resort. Never once felt like I was staying at more than a Hampton Inn with a continental breakfast. Very disappointed!

Save your money or spend a little more and go to Dreams or Secrets or someplace else.

9  Thank Stefanie R

Dear Stefanie:

We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your comments; this helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services in the future.

Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted with our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.
Best regards.