“A return trip from Toronto!”
Review of Grand Oasis Tulum

Grand Oasis Tulum
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We visited the Oasis last June, and loved it, so we were interested to see the changes this year. We like peace and quite for our vacation, and we certainly had a very relaxing time. Even though we had a few stormy days! On arrival, Cesar and Ingrid at the front desk were marvellous. Our room was three metres from the sea with our own deck and umbrella. The bathroom was very modern, and the king sized bed was extremely comfortable. We loved the newly re-furbished Cafe del Mar up on the roof, which serves a fabulous gourmet eight course dinner. It has individual plunge pools and a great view over the ocean. The lunch at the seafood restaurant was beyond compare, we ate there four times. Emanuel the waiter was incredible. All the food in the hotel was very well prepared and fresh, we tried it all!
All through the hotel, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly at all times. We'd like to especially mention Noeli at the beach bar for her friendliness and attentive service.
We will certainly return next year - this is a unique and classy hotel, and we can't wait to come back and see even more upgrades and changes.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Amanda N
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Amanda:

We are glad that you enjoyed the variety of restaurants, entertainment and facilities of our hotel. We will Congratulated all the staff that you mention for giving you an excellent service. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest.

Best Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,197)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Beautiful beach, great resort. Attentive staff. Happy feeling. Excellent Buffet. We preferred to the specialty restaurants, We made friends forever. Many pools to enjoy and the best chocolate Mayan massage in their spa. Unlimited drinks & food made well to order. Big property but not "too big" where you are always losing your friends or family. We especially enjoyed the Mayan fire show or dance. Very entertaining and authentic. Lots of fresh fruit and healthy choices for meals. Special girls and guys on the staff, very sincere and kind and helpful, Roberto at the front desk, Rai, Leisy, Liberto, Orlando, Simona, the photographer girl, and Antonio the overnight man who called and confirmed my transportation reservation at 6 am in the morning at the end of his shift so I did not have to! and many more whose names have temporarily slipped my mind, Thank you for making our trip special and feel like a real vacation! We had a blast & We will be back! Keep up the good work! Angelique & Suzanne

Room Tip: There are ground floor rooms located 30 ft. from the buffet and are right on the beach. They have a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank AngelakaCoralSkies
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Guest:

We are pleased to greet you at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Cancun. Likewise express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.
We are delighted to have met your expectations and that you had a great holiday.
It is a pleasure to serve you and make your stay with us an unforgettable experience.
Hope to see you again soon.

Best regards.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Grand Oasis Tulum has a beautiful beach. Nice rooms with rain shower. Pools are very scenic and pool bars. Roof top dining and entertainment. Nightly theater. Twice a day snorkeling tours on site. Daily movies at 6p. Kids club. Romatic veranda. Service is good. You feel very secure and safe. Several dining options. WiFi in lobby and costs extra. Signal at pool side but not in room. It was nice to stay pool side with WIFI and exotic beds and canopys, also pool fountains and jacuzzis. Infinity pool. Tours on site with Olympus. Coffee shop every morning. Beautiful sunrise and sunset. Staff is very attentive and eager to make your vacation memorible..

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank ultimate240
Reviewed June 26, 2013

From the moment we were welcomed by Jorge the Bellman, who greeted us by name, took our luggage, gave us a cool towel and asked what we would like to drink, the staff at the Grand Oasis Tulum treated us like royalty and family, all at the same time. Cesar at the front desk quickly checked us in, and was able to fulfill our request for a free upgrade to an oceanfront room. (The resort was not fully booked.) Our 3rd floor ocean view room was so clean and tastefully decorated. The wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling picture window offered a stunning, close up view of the gorgeous turquoise ocean. We have travelled extensively in Mexico and the Caribbean, and this was without a doubt the most beautiful vista we have ever seen from our room. The bathroom offered double sinks and lovely rainshower shower head, not to mention the ocean view from each! (Not to worry – there was frosted glass in the shower!) The modern décor was both pleasing to the eye and comfortable. What a treat to be lulled to sleep each night by the sound of the waves, and to awake each morning able to see that beautiful ocean from our bed!
The beach, as mentioned in other reviews, is gorgeous, (we walked down the beach to the Grand Bahia Principe, the only other resort on this cove, and their beach was much rockier than ours) and our favorite pastime was sitting under a palapa directly below our room, relaxing and watching the sea. Beach servers Leisy and Guadalupe made this an even more lovely pastime by quickly learning our names and favorite drinks, and bringing us snacks such as delicious guacamole and chips. Kudos also to Liberato, at the Beach Bar, who also knew us by name. The pool areas were very pretty as well, and had canopy bed- type loungers. The Grand Beach Club (2 pools and palapas on the beach) is accessible only to those on the Grand side, who are wearing gold (Sian Ka’an rooms) or black wristbands, therefore was quiet and not at all crowded. The Grand is called “The Calm Resort”, and it is! This is not the place for those who have come to Mexico to party wildly! Those staying on the Grand side may eat at any restaurant on the resort, whereas those not on the Grand may only eat at certain restaurants, or pay an upcharge. When we chose to eat at the specialty restaurants, each morning we made our reservations with the concierges, (Jorge and Ingrid – fabulous!) who informed the chefs of my husband’s gluten-free and my vegetarian diet. Head Chef Juaquin (sp?) and Jorge came out and talked to us most nights at dinner, and prepared our own delicious meals especially for us! It was like having our own private chefs! Even at the buffet, my husband had dishes made especially for him! All restaurant personnel worked very hard and were extremely friendly. We especially enjoyed Diana and Gaspar at the Arrecifes buffet and terraza!
The Grand Oasis Tulum is a resort in transition; the Grand side having only recently reopened after renovations. Yes, they are still making improvements in order to create a smaller, peaceful, boutique-type option for their guests. This is a lovely place where all of the staff works very hard to ensure that their guests have the best stay possible. If things aren’t perfect, please give them a break! Relax – you’re on vacation in paradise, and I, for one, cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Sian Ka'an rooms on first floor allow walkout directly on to the beach. However, if you close t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SaintCharlesLinda
Reviewed June 19, 2013

What can I say, this resort really blew my mind. It is officially my new favourite hotel.

Rooms: Beautiful brand new rooms, with flatscreen tv, ipod docking station, and rain showers . The most impressive rooms are the Sian Kaan rooms. They are oceanfront (not even partial), with a huge bay window and in room Jaccuzi. Just be careful as the windows have "0" tint so whatever you are doing in the room the person on the beach can totally see.

Restaurants: all of the a la carte restaurants are quite good. The great thing is they are exclusive to Grand guests. My favourite was the Careyes Terrece day lunch menu. The coconut shrimp was to die for. Another treat is the tasting menu restaurant at the Cafe del Mar. The website says it is open for breakfast and lunch but we had dinner there. It's a rooftop restaurant and although it's nice on a good day...I'm sure...it seems they don't have a rain plan Our meal was cut short when the rain came down. There are plenty of snack areas found on the Oasis Tulum side (Asian, Fastfood, Chicken joint) and of course you have access to the Oasis restaurants and buffets.

Pools: If you stay on the Grand side, you have access to the main pool that has a bar and wait service near by. They also serve natural juices at that bar. There are plenty beds and lounge chairs and the pool is rather big with a cold water Jacuzzi tub in the middle. There is also a lap/wading pool on the lobby level, with a swim up bar.

Beach Plenty of private beach space with lots of loungers. The sand is white and the ocean is magnificent. It can be a little choppy however.

Pièce de résistance: Cafe del Mar in the day time is a swanky roof top lounge area with plunge pools. It looks like something straight from South Beach Miami. In addition to amazing ocean views and a large stocked bar, it's a really chilled out area that I could spend hours at. It would be great for a private function (wedding reception, birthday party, etc.). I loved it, already started to plan a big event there...just don't know what yet :)

I totally recommend this resort! Urbantravelite approved.

Room Tip: Sian Kaan room all the way. It's worth the money and YOLO
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank urbantravelite
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is one of the best family vacations that we have taken in a long time. My brother and I decided to give my mother a special birthday present that included a trip with his wife and kids and my wife and kids with our mother to celebrate her 70th birthday. From the moment we arrived we were aw struck by the beauty of the lush grounds and vast entrance. The property has its own private entrance that is very exclusive and elegant. Once we arrived we were welcomed by very friendly staff and were given a personalized VIP check in with their Oasis Plus staff (Belen) that is very professional and warm. We were then offers an upgrade option to an Ocean front suite which had an incredible view of the beaches right in front of the hotel. The hotel itself is situated on a very private white sand beach and has many interesting rock formations were you can walk out to with it's own private Palapas. The kids really enjoyed this because the water is teaming with fish. This is an All inclusive resort and the food is amazing. We have traveled all over the world and to many all inclusive hotels in Mexico and this is definitely the best we have ever seen. The seafood specialty restaurant is amazing as well as the gourmet Mexican restaurant Careyes. The breakfast buffet has so many options you don't want to stop eating. All of the staff at this hotel is extremely friendly and the Kids club they have was a real bonus because the little ones played there for hours with all kinds of activities the entertainment staff set up for them. They also have a beautiful spa with all the amenities you can imagine and a Fresh Juice bar that we really enjoyed. They make you any kind of fruit and vegetable juice you can conjure up and they have delicious snacks. They also have an area called Cafe del mar where by day is a lounge with many Private Jacuzzi areas that you can use. By night this area is used for a very nice gourmet dinner and a spectacular show. If you are looking for the perfect Mexican experience in a first class all inclusive resort this is definitely a perfect choice.

Room Tip: Definitely take a look at the upgrade options that the staff offers when you arrive. I
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Fernando F
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just returned from a 5 day, 4 night stay at Grand Oasis Tulum. We were a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenage boys) and had a wonderful time. From the moment we stepped through the doors of the lobby we were treated like royalty. There has been a lot of discussion about Oasis Tulum on the forum. Many have been disappointed with the services and ammenities. I think people forget that there IS a difference between the two hotels and you are paying for the difference. Guests should not book with Oasis Tulum if they expect all of the ammenities offered with Grand Oasis. The Grand Oasis has a beautiful lobby! The view cannot be beat. The lobby is mostly windows and you look directly onto the beach/ocean! We were greeted immediately by the doorman who took our luggage and opened the doors for us. Belen from concierge checked us in and upgraded our boys from garden view to ocean front at no charge. (My husband and I had already paid for a ocean front room for ourselves) Our room was 2107 and it was great. We had a comfortable bed that overlooked the ocean and there was a jacuzzi in our room (the boys had one in their room, too). Because we were on the ground level, we could open our glass window door and step right onto the beach. 2nd and 3rd floor rooms do not have balconies (which is clearly stated when you reserved your room on any site) but the view is breathtaking. You can sit in your jacuzzi tub at night and enjoy the view. We chose this hotel because it was NOT enormous like other hotels. I did not want to have to walk "a mile" just to get to the beach. This hotel is right on the beach. I could throw a ball into the ocean if I wanted to and I throw "like a girl" (just ask my boys - :) Almost every restaurant (and we tried them all) overlooks the ocean. The pools are fabulous. We swam in all of them and I could not decide which one I liked the best. I felt like a movie star. There were plenty of pool chairs and fun, round, lounge beds w/curtains. Towels were plentiful. My boys loved the decadence of the roof top lounge with its many little private pools (good for 6-9 people each) that overlooked the ocean. The grand pool closest to our room had a health bar which served fresh, fruit smoothies and juices. Many of the other pools had swim up bars. Our room tended to get a bit sandy as we kept going in and out of the glass door onto the beach. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning our room. There was a big storm our second night there and some water came into the room through the bottom of the swivel, glass door. Since the main part of the room is higher than the sunken level by the beach window and jacuzzi, it did not affect us and housekeeping cleaned it up. (I loved hearing the ocean and rain during the storm) We ate at most of the restaurants and had great service at everyone. Antonio was great at Bahia, a Brazilian restaurant, and kept the food coming. It was my favorite place. Roberto, the manager, checked on us a few times to make sure we had everything we needed. Our second night we ate at Sarape, the Mexican restaurant, and heard a fantastic mariachi band. They had great voices and really had fun entertaining the guests. Our waiter, Miguel, also was fun and attentive. Our boys loved this restaurant best and wanted to go back another night (Try the soup for an appetizer...it is fantastic!) My husband is a seafood lover and his favorite restaurant was Terraza Careyes. We ate lunch on the terrace and he was in heaven. Great food. We ate Italian our first night at Dos Lunas and I had fabulous chicken rolls. Our last night we ate at Al Sur and everyone had steak! It was a warm night and we asked if we could move closer to an open door for a breeze. The staff immediatelly accomodated us. They were great. The buffet (Arrecifes) was open everyday as well but we only ate there for breakfast. It had something for everyone. They also made omelets to order. Gaspar worked there and he was fantastic! I had forgotten something one morning and he saw me on the beach and flagged me down. He remembered me and handed me the little package I left. All in all, our experience at every restaurant was great. Because we were not there during peak season, we never had to wait in line and could go to any restaurant we wanted as they were not full. The staff treated us like we were special. Each night we would go to the bar in the lobby and Hugo would take care of us. He was even great with our boys. Lastly, I want to mention the concierge staff. Dafne, Jorge and Belen were always there to help us. On a rainy Sunday, we decided to visit the Tulum ruins and Coba. We did not want to take a taxi as Coba is an hour away. Dafne helped us get a rental car quickly and it was only $60 for the day (insurance included) Smart cars are available to Grand Oasis guests at no charge (you must buy insurance, however, as Mexico requires it and it is $30/day) We wanted to drive together so a larger car was better for us. I was a bit scared to rent as I had heard horror stories of police stopping cars and asking for money. We did not have a problem at all. The roads are nice and easy to follow. Renting for a day was perfect. We saw Tulum in the rain and swam in the ocean below the ruins (there is a lifeguard on duty). Then we drove to Coba and walked up the pyramid. Bring good shoes (and bandaids for blisters!!) I suggest renting a bike at the park when you get there as the walk is long but doable. You can do a zipline there and swim in a Cenote (extra charge) but we were tired and chose not to. The next day, it rained again and Belen helped us figure out what to do. She called the various parks (Xel-Ha, Xplore, Xcaret) for us to make sure they were open. They were. We took at short taxi to Xel-Ha ($15USD) and had a blast. It is fun in the rain and sun. Even my teenage boys were thrilled. The river was the best. Snorkeling through the mangrove is quite an experience and the boys jumped off the cliffs and did the zipline. We were the last family to leave the park. By the way, there were no taxis around when we left as it was so late. Luckily we were able to call for one. I suggest leaving the park by 6:30 to make sure you get a ride back to the hotel. Again, because we were there during slow season, we had no lines and cheaper rates. I will definitely travel again during this time. Though we had rain, we did have sun as well. The temperatures stayed in the 80's for us with a nice breeze. Normally it is hotter. We will go back to Grand Oasis Tulum. It is nice and also close to most of the parks that we want to visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family