“Warm and Welcoming Resort”

Villas DeRosa Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Akumal
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Warm and Welcoming Resort”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

When I travel, I like to get to know people. The last time I was in Mexico I stayed in Cancun for three nights and didn't get to know anyone! At Villas de Rosa, I got to know a whole lot of people in one day!

The secret is the cozy atmosphere at the Beach Bar. It's so enjoyable to sit there and just get to know people. Rob and Tommy do a great job of bartending......so it's all good!
I want to say a little more about these guys. Someone posted that they did not enjoy a tour hosted by one of them. I would totally disagree.....the tour into the private caves/cenotes was the highlight of our week! If you have the opportunity to go on one of these tours....don't miss it!

The guy running the dive shop (I did not get his name) wasn't all that interesed in getting people interested in taking dives with Aquatech. My husband went down there and hung around for about 10 minutes and was ignored, so he decided not to do a dive. However, by the end of the week, he decided to sign his name up on the board and go on a double tank dive the day before we left. He had a great time and it was a good price! Someone really should take over the marketing of the dive shop.....it has a great history and there is no reason the shop should not be filled with divers every day as they do some really different dives in caves and cenotes that look fantastic!

My husband wants to go back to Akumal next Summer and stay at Villas de Rosa. This is a guy that NEVER wants to repeat a stay anywhere. My son said that this was the best vacation he had ever been on with us! So, Bravo, Villas de Rosa and thanks for a wonderful stay!!

We had a two bedroom on the third floor. It was wonderful! We opened the sliding doors to the balcony and the breeze blew through the condo and cooled us all off. At night we turned on the air conditioner in the bedroom and it kept the room nice and cool. Bedding was a little tired. The maids didn't do much deep cleaning of the condo....but it was good enough. The view was spectacular! What a lovely spot!

I was worried that my 23 year old son would not have anyone to hang with, but there seemed to be a lot of people there his age (mostly employees, but it was still good)! The manager, Tony, took the time to teach my son wave boarding and they had a lot of fun teaching each other moves on the trampoline.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JeanieJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights in a beachfront 1 bedroom condo.
Pro's:
Huge condo
Very clean room
Right on the beach
parking
Food can be ordered to the room, pool or beachside areas and is quick
Not bad pricing at this time of year

Con's
A bit worn/tired in decor
Noisy air-con (air-con only in bedroom there is none in rest of condo)
It was hard to identify who was staff as no uniforms, not sure who was in charge etc
Dive guy fairly unenthusiastic when my partner enquired so he decided not to bother booking with them
Dogs- I was leapt on twice by a dog on site which left some nasty scratches and bruising (apparently this dog isnt there all the time but is the owners daughters dog). It made me too frightened to spend time at the beach out the front particulalry as other people (staff inluded) were at the bar when it happened and none helped me try to get him off. (A staff member did apologise on check-out but it would put me off coming and I dread to think what would have happened if my leg had been a small child)

All in all it was an ok choice mainly based on the size of the room and the location but having been to Akumal now I think there maybe better options and calmer beaches.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HMax
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2010

In February 2010, me, my wife and kids (1 and 3 yrs) spent 4 fantastic weeks at Villas DeRosa. Big balcony, great view and a gorgeous beach. My kids loved the trampoline so much I thought we'd have to take it back with us to Montreal. Now we're planning our second trip, back to exactly the same place! Love it.
Andrew, from Montreal.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Vacationer155032
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Back in the mid 1990's a very good friend of mine told me about an awesome trip he had taken with a diving club out of Dallas; he told me of a wonderful location call Villas DeRosa in Akumal, Mexico. Back in 2007 My family and this friend visited this great get away. We had so much fun and enjoyed ourselves so much, we decided to schedule our 2010 Thanksgiving trip back to this wonderful resort. Villas DeRosa is a scuba divers heaven, but more than that, it is a great place to take a family for a vacation. You usually book the trip with Tony Sr. here in the states, He is very flexible and makes sure to get you the exact type of room you need. Tony Jr. is waiting in MX with the staff of Tony's, Tommy and Rob and the kitchen folks. They have some of the best rooms on the beach. Our Room was on the ground floor and we woke each morning to an amazing sunrise over the eastern Caribbean ocean. About 30 steps and you could get right into the 78 Degree water and spend the day. There is a beach bar that is almost always open with excellent prices. The kitchen is open 8-8 CST and will bring your food to your room, the roof, the beach or the bar; you choose. The food is excellent quality and very reasonably priced. Probably the most important part of all the cool things(Clean rooms, daily room service, bottled water, full kitchen, refrig, separate living and Dining areas, deck, foot wash, etc) this resort has to offer over all the big named resorts, is the family feeling you get talking, eating and playing alongside the staff. Three years ago Tony Jr. taught my wife and son how to body surf. Tony Jr. will help you find the right activity you are looking for, he and other staff have taken us on small non-diving cenote excursions around the Akumal area, recommend specific guides for diving, the Coba and Talum ruins and the many different parks around the area. One of our favorites this year was a day at X-PLOR, it was $100/per USD, but it was worth every dime. You were able to zip-line, drive amphibian atv's and swim in the cenotes in the park; also all food was included and it was great. It is hard to describe all the great times and things we did in the six short days during this trip, I guess the only way to really know is to pick up the phone and make a reservation. Thanks again to the entire staff at Villas DeRosa, we shall return !

For those who are scuba divers there are really 3 types to choose from; ocean open water, cenote cavern and cenote Cave. If you are an open water diver there are great spots to spend a lazy day with a small boat captain and enjoy a very low stress dive environment. The beauty and attraction of this part of Mexico is the cenote diving. Cenotes are the gem of this part of the world. Many are connected by underground rivers and streams, and therefore allow a entry level cavern diver to really explore some of the most beautiful rooms and systems in the world. The diving is pretty shallow, usually less than 30 feet and usually 10-20 feet deep. Finally for the experienced Cave diver, there is the caves that also run between all the cenotes and the individual systems. My daughter, friend and I are all experienced FL cave divers and we spent 2 great days with Danielle who works as an cavern and cave dive guide. Even though I am very experienced and comfortable in caves, I like to get the local talent to show us those unknown areas where few have found and seen; You'll have to call and schedule your dives with Danielle to find those same locations. We have used her as a dive guide for the past 3 visits to DeRosa, the first time it was just the guide they assigned us, every time after that, Danielle was the guide we asked for to show us around; thanks Danielle for a great time !

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank scoth12
Charles Town, West Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2010

We had such a wonderful experience at this hotel..Location was wonderful and the Ocean Front condo was beautiful...The staff was very helpful and there was no problems what so ever..I cant wait to go back and have already started looking at the dates. Since this was my first trip to mexico I will always remember my time spent there

Donna and Bob Stephen

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
United States
Reviewed May 6, 2010

We dove with Aquatech at the Dos Ojos Cenotes. Great outfit. The staff is excellent.

The dive shop is on the property of the Villas. The beachfront condos are AWESOME. Nice amenities, clean and beautiful. Great pool area. Great beach.

The best part is the staff. Friendly, knowlegeable AND (forgive me for saying it) they speak english well. Every request was met wtih a smile and immediate response.

We are already planning our return trip for December. Will probably do some cave training too. Can't say enough nice things about this out. And at the rates they charge, it is a real steal. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2010
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 4, 2010

This is a one star condo on a five star beach. There were cockroaches in the bathrooms. They sprayed but didn't seem to help. Terrible odors in kitchen and bathroom. Linens "tired" and need to be replaced. If you were paying $35 a night this would be a great place. I went in several other condos while there and Villa de Rosa is the worst place on this lovely beach. Many other great places right next door and down the beach. Wouldn't ever advise anyone to stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family