“RIP OFF ARTIST"S”

Villas DeRosa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Akumal
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I paid cash for a meal. and after I left they charged my credit card for the same meal.I emailed them but they did not respond. Noisy air condioner in bedroom, no a/c in kitchen/livingroom. Very small pool. Beautiful beach.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank darbabyy
VillasDeRosa, Owner at Villas DeRosa Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Dear Sir:
We read your review and we are apologize for this bad experience. We did not receive an email from you. Your email may have been sent from one of our auto responders and did not arrive on my desk.....
Please email details to me at vdr.resort@yahoo.com and I will refund this double charge. Again we are very sorry this event was not correct immediately.....Tony DeRosa

Reviewed April 7, 2014

To be honest I would not back to Akumal, there are a beautiful beaches and sea side, but it looks like a park for American.Anyway I can't say much about aqutech, my room cos the overbooking was upgraded with a whole flat in front of the beach, My girlfriend and I enjoyed stayed there.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We just returned yesterday from Villas DeRosa. Back to 48 degrees and rain makes me wish I was still there even more. This is my first review for tripadvisor and I'm writing it because we loved the place so much! Tony Jr, Caesar, and Wayne were great. Lot's of great advise for snorkeling, and other activities. We had a ground floor unit right on the sand. The unit was clean and had everything we needed, fridge, coffee maker, blender and drinking water. (We never used the stove) The food delivered to the room was great. We ate out most nights, but used their service a couple of times. Snorkeling in the ocean 60 feet from our door was awesome! Less then 5 minutes by car is Playa Akumal where you can snorkel with sea turtles. (A couple staying next door saw one near the condo, but I hear that is rare.) The bar next door is handy and very quite, we were less than 30 feet from it and never heard a thing. It's more of a place to get a drink and talk to people about adventures of the day. I would recommend having a car to stay here. There is a good shuttle bus that runs up and down the highway but it's a 10 minute walk to the highway and I don't know how frequent it runs. We felt very safe driving everywhere. Tulum is 15 minutes south and Playa del Carmen about 30 minutes North. Over all the place is clean, safe and the best location in the area. One note- I chose this place partly because of the pool. However, we never used it. Kids and adults went straight for the ocean every time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank JimHJimH
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is a good, basic hotel. The bedroom is fine, with AC and TV. The safebox is questionable since it is literally a wooden lock box in the wall. The room had a coffee maker and that was nice, as breakfast wasn't included. The location is great for beach, snorkeling along the coast or having close proximity to Akumal or Tulum. There is no restaurant nearby, only the hotel's. The menu at Aquatech or other nearby hotel's menu are pricey. I did find their $10 Philly beef steak sandwich and fries delicious though, which they delivered to our room. You might be better taking a collective to Akumal pueblo for real Mexican food at one of the local stands or pizza at X'Mirna's. Akumal pueblo also has a couple of grocery stores to pick up food and supplies to take back to your room.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bglenn82
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Great Beach access and a nice hotel. The staff was great, and we found it a good value for its location. The food was good but not great, but eating on the beach certainly helps. I wouldn't hesitate to eat here when you don't feel like leaving, but I wouldn't plan to have all your meals on the property.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan G
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed in one of the beachfront condos (302), and had a fabulous stay. The biggest problem was the time went by way too quick.
The condo was situated on the beach-side with a large balcony over-looking their fabulous beach. Waking up to that, with my coffee in the morning was stunning! (Check out the sunrise from our unit on my attached pic!) The condo was really spacious. It had all the kitchen equipment we needed for our stay. The place was very easy to find and Caesar was a very gracious and caring host at check-in.
You really get the family-owned vibe, along with personal attention at Villas DeRosa, which was very much appreciated. The service, local history and tips we received from both Tony and Alaina DeRosa was worlds away from the typical resorts and their mostly dry, unenthusiastic and impersonal concierges. If you want to embrace the culture and landscape as a tourist in Mexico, and get some help along the way from English and Spanish-speaking locals, this place is a really great option!
One thing I feel needs to be said is that if you're booking any place, do your research and adjust your expectations (and budget) accordingly. I say this because of some of the prior reviews I read. I was disappointed to see that some people reviewing did not do this very simple preparatory task. Villas DeRosa is not a 5-star resort and doesn't have the latest style in kitchen back-splash or stainless-steel appliances. Understand this before deciding you'll stay here, instead of leaving a bad review after your stay. The value you get from this property would not be the same if (when) those renovations are made. (Besides, get the heck outside or in the water! It's amazing, and why you're in this part of the world to begin with!)
We had a few drinks and some food at the beach bar, which was really good, with great service. The house-keepers came every day, and worked really hard to make sure our place was clean. (Tip them!) Even though we were there during the busy season, there was always beach chairs available to lounge in, and the snorkeling was really good in front of the villas. We found some nice coral-heads and saw lots of fish. It was a little cloudy, but the waves were going pretty good, so I imagine it would be nicer with a calmer sea.
All in all we had a great stay and look forward to booking again. Can't wait!! (Must wait... must... not... book... again now... Argg!)

Room Tip: We loved our balcony view, although the ground floor had direct beach access and even mini pools of...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelLover93923
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed here from Jan 9 to 25, 2014, in a second floor, beach facing, 2 bed/bath condo. The beach is amazing, sand is like powder, and there is plenty of property on the beach, plenty of sun beds, palapa's, etc. there are No beach salesmen, you can walk for several kilometres in each direction, and it is a lovely setting. Decent snorkelling, and an excellent dive shop on site. Dive master Serge was very professional, and our group had some excellent cenote and open water dives. The dive shop couldn't be more convenient, and if diving is a goal for you, stay here.
There are two parts to this resort. The main hotel has a kitchen, they will serve your meals poolside, on the beach, or to your room. Prices are very reasonable and the coconut shrimp and house pizza are tasty and even cheap. The adjacent Bikini Beach bar is separate in terms of paying, you can run a tab, but you can't charge to your room. It is cash only. They also have good food, great drinks (try a mango/jalapeño margaritas) and cheap beer. Alaina might put on a fire dance for you also, while her English bulldog Kobe watches and frets for her safety. Abby is the other very pleasant bartender, we enjoyed them both. Make sure you talk to Tony Jr for a very interesting history of the area, this family pioneered much of the cenotes.
The condos are nicely equipped, we cooked many meals, and they were well cleaned daily. Some of the tiles, grout etc show the effects so salt water and the weather, but I do not agree with some previous posts with many complaints.
The only issue we had was the distance to Tulum to get groceries, beer, etc as we did not rent a car. We took collectivo's into Tulum and crabbed back, which was cheaper ( go to the Chedrauie), but it takes time out of your day.
Restaurants in Tulum are great - we went to the Mezzanine (Thai) but you need to cab there, Ziggy's ( also a cab ride), and the Buena Vida in Akumal (collectivo possible). We also took an overnight bus (ADO) to Belize on checking out where we spent time in San Ignacio and Placencia. See reviews on Rumors and the Sea Spray holes for reviews of this leg. The bus ride was epic hell. :) but makes for a good story!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends