“First time at GP-Kantenah” 4 of 5 bubbles

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, MA
“First time at GP-Kantenah”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

This was our first visit to the GP Kantenah, and the Riviera Maya in general, and our first experience with an all-inclusive. We’ve been to several other islands in the Caribbean – USVI, BVI, St. Kitts and Nevis. Overall, we had a very good experience at this resort, especially given the value for the price. I did a lot of research here on TA before we picked GPK, and I got a lot of great advice from the forums (thanks again!) in advance of our trip. We went as a family of four with two kids, ages 9 and 6.

Grade A: Very friendly service throughout the resort. Everyone from the folks working in the restaurants, to the entertainment staff, to the landscapers were always friendly, polite, hardworking, and patient. It made a big impression on us. The resort looked beautiful and was well maintained. The room was also nice, and our room request was accommodated by the front desk. Minibar was restocked daily (could have been colder inside), and our daughter was delighted by the towel animals. We left a few bucks for the maid each day. I would also give top grades for the breakfast buffet (omelets made to order, French toast, pancakes, fresh fruit, fresh bread); the Segway tour with Memo; the spa; the pool areas, especially the delightful El Rinconcito pool; the beach bars; lunch at Punta Emilia beach bar; head bellhop and his staff.

Grade B: The beach is a mix of rocky and sandy entry. The sandy entry areas were a little smaller than I thought, and so in the water that area was fairly crowded. The beach itself is very wide with lots of shaded seating. No towel game to speak of (nor at the pool) which I gather is unusual and certainly was nice for a family of four. The beach is not of the quality of what you would find in some of the best Caribbean locations, but still very pleasant, and it was nice to have some snorkeling options right off the beach.

I would also give the buffet food at lunch and dinner a solid B. The food was fairly bland, but there were a lot of choices, and the kids could always get pasta or grilled chicken/fish at the grill station. I think they would do better to put out fewer choices with simpler preparations. Food was well labeled, and I also give top marks to the resort’s food allergy program. We met the dining manager at check-in, and she gave us allergy cards in Spanish to show the kitchen staff. We are not hyper vigilant about our kids’ food allergies, but for parents who really need to monitor this closely, I thought that the staff here took allergies very seriously. Kids club staff were nice, but the older kids’ facilities (both down by the beach and the teens club) need to be air conditioned in the summer.

Grade C: A la carte restaurants – sorry, but I don’t see what the fuss is all about. I know they have a lot of fans in the TA forums, but I found the food only marginally better than at the buffets, and it took forever to come out. We went to Ribs and More, and I saw the same ribs on the buffet the next night. The chef’s special at the Mexican a la carte was an overcooked strip of beef. The atmosphere and the staff were nice at both, but the food was pretty unimpressive. An hour to get the food at both restaurants, which seemed true for everyone.

Transportation around this huge resort was also pretty spotty. The boardwalks get you around the local area pretty fast (it was only a 4-minute walk from our villa to the Kantenah lobby), but to go to the other side of the resort you need to wait, sometimes up to 15 minutes in stifling heat, for the slow-moving, sometimes very crowded train. We gave up on the local trams, which were never around when you needed them. This makes a visit to the salt water pool, which is indeed a neat spot, a major expedition.

Grade D: television. Of course you don’t go on vacation to sit around and watch TV, but before bed it’s nice for the kids. The paper channel guide is out of date (no Disney channel) and choices are limited. I was astounded that the World Cup final was not broadcast on the TV – though it was fun to watch it in the Sports Bar. The room guide also says that movies are available and to check with the front desk – at which point you are told that there are no movies anymore.

In sum, we had a nice time and would definitely consider going back in the future. It's a very good resort -- not perfect, but a great value and a great home base for exploring the area.We took excursions to Tulum, Aktun-Chen, and Yal-Ku Lagoon, which we all really enjoyed and fairly close to the resort. A note on the heat in the summer: it’s brutal, and I grew up in Miami so I know about heat. The pools get very warm in the second half of the day and aren’t that refreshing any more. Drink lots of water and stay out of the sun from noon to 2PM if you can.

Room Tip: Villa 50 and 51 are close to the beach and a short walk to the pools and lobby.
9 Thank Belmontjim
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Belmontjim,

Thank you very much for your email, tips and lovely words.

We will keep working to improve Palladium every day and definetly comments like yours help us a lot. As well its an excellent motivation to the staff and in name of them, we want to thank you for your confidence.

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Collingwood, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

My review is from a bit back- but when we were there everything was great. great food, great service, the weather was amazing, the rooms were nothing extra but very clean. close to playa del carmen, and close to the attractions we wanted. great for the price they offer

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sylvain B,

thnak you for after a while remember your great experience in Palladium and find the time to let us know it.

To know you think it is a great resort and the price is very competitive.

Best regards, and let us know when are you coming back again

Gravesend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have stayed here at the Kantenah once and the colonial 3 times. I just want to give a mention to the animation team and dancers who help make our holidays there special. The team that work around the pool at the colonial are the best I have come across. A big thank you to Jonathan Paty Luis McKenna jeronimo Onesky and all the others I have not mentioned. The dancers in the evening shows are wonderful . Special thanks to Memo and Alice. I will be coming back next year and hope you are all there

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda H
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your fidelity in your last four times to Palladium.

We have pass the information to Entertainment manager to aware them the good team you mention and I am sure all than cworkers that you mention will love to read it.

We will keep working hard to impress you again in your 5th visit

thank you for your review and best regards,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I'm a family of 3 and just returned from Kantenah I did a 6 night deal. I normally don't complete reviews but I definitely needed to complete this one. Day 1 July 11, 2014 I was ready to check out due to lack of service received. The resort is huge if you have never visited this resort before you will find yourself walking allot and confused. It was extremely frustrating not having anyone available to help guide you on your 1st day of arrival. We received a map and they circled a ton of things and basically that was our guide. The map nor signs weren't simply to read or understand it was very confusing. No one tells you about the trains or trolleys that are available. You have to figure everything out yourself it took us 3 days to find our way around.. i dealt with 2 supervisors there a gentleman name Luis and another woman whom I forgot to get her name. The absolutely worst interactions. They seemed unhappy and as if they didn't want to be bothered. Perhaps it can be due to lack of air in main building and inhaling a ton of smoke from customers with there cigarette smoke in main lobby. My daughter walked holding her nose, and this is not being dramatic either. They have fans in ceiling and never on to help circulate air. We had to rent long pants for restaurants since no one advised you would not he able to eat at restaurants. Good thing was you were given the option to give $20 deposit and you will get full refund. However pants were disgusting one had stains and should not be given to customers if they were unable to have them look presentable. They had bad odor. And 1 pair didn't even have a button for you to close pants. But I guess that's what you get for renting $20 pants. Please note when you rent pants from 1 resort you must return to same one to get a refund. Even though they are all grand palladium. No one told us so when we went to return rental to Kantenah we were advised we had to travel back to white sands since that's where we picked it up at. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with that however we had to wait for a van to take us to airport when i mentioned this to the supervisor we didnt want to miss our ride and that no one told us that we had to return where we picked up Luis the supervisor was very sarcastic and stated well you should have returned them last night and or earlier today. That was the icing on the cake. Instead of apologizing for the miscommunication or being sympathetic that would have gone along way. Front desk management needs training. Perhaps we need to look deeper and hire more people. Every restaurant and buffet have employees working extremely hard to serve a tremendous amount of customers with very little employees for a huge resort. I had a wonderful waiter named Jose whom we made sure to wait to be seated where he was working due to his great work ethic always smiling making great customers connection and friendly always making sure everything was good and if we needed anything else. He was consistent with every customer. He worked in buffet breakfast and lunch in Kantenah. He made a huge difference for us. The pool area employees work very long hours and hard to satisfy customers. The facilities itself was very clean. The rooms were very hot and sheets were uncomfortable due to humidity in room. The fridge was not cold at all. We called for service they said that's the way they are. The bathroom had mold on trimmings in bath tub. We had very limited English channels maybe 2 or 3. Food wasn't bad. Beach was clean and kids pool area was good. However while you are in the pool employees are spraying cleaning products and scrubbing walls while your swimming in it everyday this happened. The cigar store was closed and opened whenever they wanted. I watched several customers walk away I'm sure that's not helping business. The concierge people were not helpful when we tried to set up an excursion we had to wait or look for a worker and if they weren't at Kantenah we have to travel to another resort to speak someone. Please note you can't just call them or front desk call them because there no way to communicate with them unless you walk over in scorching heat or wait for Train that can take 15 mins arrive. I will not visit this resort nor recommend to any friends or family. Your front people are the representation of the business and sets the tone. Clearly management is lacking and need to hire more people. Maybe this will help change there attitude and be more pleasant employees. We work hard to pay for a good vacation and expect excellence. If our money isn't appreciated then why should we spend it there? We stayed in less expensive resorts and felt more appreciated and valued as a customer. I more to state the kids club is a nice idea but once again you need more employees. I watch 2 employees take care several kids and while they were completing head count in pool area 1 kid was not accounted for as I'm a witness to that since that 1 kid left group and was playing with my daughter. That made me feel a bit uncomfortable since we just know what kids might do and walk over to bigger pool or beach area. The spa was good and nice and clean but kids camp no where near spa only one day care available in this huge resort. So myself and husband had to complete 2 separate days for spa since camp was so far and we didn't feel comfortable leaving her there. We walked in and out of kids daycare not one employee stopped myself or husband anyone can walk in its not a secured environment. Last thing the two employees in front to by train area were more helpful than front desk management. I hope this is addressed and a solution is given versus reading this long letter and just say another complaining customer ahhh who cares we I got 4 out of 5 stars. It's 2 am got of flight and I was so upset with front line management I had to ensure to share this. Last thing this was our 10th year anniversary I requested to have dinner set up in beach as a surprise for my husband well surprise was on me nothing was set up nor followed up. I didn't even bother to call and follow up again because I refuse to pay $200 and get the service I've been receiving. Another business lost. May not seem like allot now but times that to how many possible lost unsatisfied customers. Something positive swim with dolphins amazing experience would recommend the picture are very expensive after looking at them how can you say no I don't want any. They ensure not to take any family photos to avoid you buying only one photo. Spa I would recommend but wait before you book in spa area. They have employees who book specials 2 for 1 deal. 80mins for $135 for 2 ppl is good deal. In spa I would have paid $135 for each. They walk the pool area trying to sell you something . I hope this helps

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank GINA M
Dear Gina,

Thank you for your time and review. Even if the majority of the guest have a great experience, unfortunatly not always is possible provide an unforgettable experience, and we want to apologize for to reach your expectations. There is always one manager on duty who can help out in this situations and would have loved to help you. What it is very important for us is to know your opinion as we will bring up to the mention department to keep the daily improvements.

Again, thank you for your time and if you decise to give us another chance, please do not doubt to contact me to organize it as you deserve.

ONTARIO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were at this resort on the Kantaneh side from June 27th to July 4th. We travelled with our three children 15-18 and with friends who also had a 17yr old.

Transfer from the airport was about an hour and we arrived with a few other people. We had emailed the week prior as others have done to request to be in buildings 50 or 51. Upon checkin we found out we were placed in buildings 48, 49 and 51. This was a problem as our teenagers were in 49 and we were in 51. This not close to one another. You access half of each building from a different walkway, so the distance between two buildings can be 4 walkways. Reception insisted there was nothing they could do. We asked if they would be responsible for our childern if something happened. They said they would not. After not backing down, I asked to speak to a manager and then they started talking and finally put us both in 49 and our friends in 48. They did however, make us feel that we had put them out. Not a good start. Our kids did wake up to water through half their room one day and there were problems in the room below them. Reception said that they would like to move them to the Riveria part of the resort, which is about 20 minutes away walking. We said no.

Our mini fridge was only restocked once and the floor was never washed while we were there.

The food in the a la cartes was good. We went to Italien (twice), steak, ribs, mediterranien and japanese. If you get there just before 7, you wont have to wait. Go later and it will be at least an hour, even though the table we sat at was empty the whole time we were waiting.

Drinks are weaker and stronger....depends which bar you go to.

The beach is beautiful. We walked to the salt water pool every morning. Some of our group snorkeled or kayaked which was good.

It was so hot while we were there. The water at the pool was not refreshing. I would say it was over 90 degree's. The pavement around the pool just makes it uncomfortable to be there. There was a nice breeze at the beach and the water was perfect. Dont forget your sun block...you will get burned very quickly.

Resort is huge and you will walk alot but it just uses up the calories of what you are drinking and eatting. There is also a train and carts that will drive you to the other resorts. We only used when we went to dinner.

Overall, it was a great vacation. I would consider returning. When not taking the kids we usually to the adult only resorts, which cannot compare with a family resort. Especially, the Secrets chain.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LIVINGFORMYVACATION
Dear LIVINGFOR.,

Thank you for your opinion, we are in continuos improvements and all reviews help on that direction.

Request are subjet to availability and we always try to please all request. in your specific case, and Im glad to read that finally was resolve your issue.}

We have take note of all your advises, thank you

Walsall, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Arrived at hotel after very long flight
Booked in found our party of 5 we're put at opposite ends of the hotel this was after we had arranged to be located close together with the tour company first choice.
After a very long wait the rooms were found close to each other.Front desk staff were not very happy that they had to do some work.
Went for meal in the Tikal buffet,tried to get cutlery to eat our meal and one of our party was shouted at and told go and sit down by a waiter,I walked out other members of the party stayed but said the food was cold and of poor quality.passed issue onto first choice rep did not get any feedback.
The rooms.
Refrigerator not working very well no cold drinks,not a problem ice making machine in entrance of villa,Not working what a surprise !
Reported to reception six times without any repair reported to first choice rep who got back to me to say it can't be fixed got back to villa to find it working informed rep who said he did not know what was going on(total lack of communication between hotel staff holiday reps and customers)
Dirty bed linen had to ask maids to change it
Drinks not replaced in mini bar
Waste bins in room not emptied
Got covered in bites while in bed,don't think it was mossies!!!!!!!!!
Hotel in general
Poor standard of food in the a la carte restaurants the el dorado steak house was the best
Bar staff many don't speak English at one I asked for 3 cokes and he tried to give me 3 pool towel cards????????
Dirty plates glasses knives forks and spoons in restaurants
Stayed in this hotel 2 years ago staff levels are a lot lower now this may explain why the staff from the front desk to the cleaners are so miserable and show a total lack of interest towards guests and are extremely rude.
There is one good thing the iguanas are a lot friendlier than the hotel staff
Will not stay at a palladium group hotel again will not book first choice again
Have still got 5 days until we go home can't wait to get on the plane.
This is for first choice as a group were going to do lots of trips while here as the hotel is so poor

• 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank grenadieralf
Dear grenadieralf,

Thank you for your review.

Room request are subject availability. Thank you for your patience as everything was resolve for you sorry for the inconvenients.

The minibar on the room is not a fridge, it is just a cooler.

We apologize for the bad understanding of the english of some staff members, I am sure they do try hard to learn and most of the guest think our staff is the best asset, but in this case we have fail wich dissapoint us.

Again thank you for your time, and opinion

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Our family of four (two boys 14 and 18) just returned from an eight day stay at the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort. This is our 4th consecutive trip to the area. We have stayed in Cancun (Riu Palace Las Americas and Beach Palace) as well as Puerto Morales (Ocean Coral and Turquesa). Let me start by repeating what most reviewers have said...this place is HUGE! We arrived and check in was smooth, we stayed in Villa 49. The room was cleaned everyday and the only problem we encountered was that we were shorted a towel on one day. After a couple of calls and stop at the front desk this was resolved. The beach is quite long and depending on what you are looking for be it quiet or crowded you can find it. The majority of people camp out near the "swim area", there is a snack bar/bar very near here and it is the closest walk to the pool. The towel game is in full force here, that being said we did not find it too difficult to get a spot at the beach. The pool is a different story...the pool gets very crowded in the afternoon. I must say that for the most part we are beach people and prefer the breeze and soothing sounds of the water. After all, all pools are basically the same and it is the water of the Caribbean that draws us to Mexico in the first place. There is always a breeze at the beach because of the vegetation surrounding the pool there is very little breeze and it can be significantly warmer than the beach. There are three beach bars not including the bar at the saltwater pool. There are bars at either end of the beach along with the snack bar/bar located directly behind the "swim area". Due to the size of the resort there is no beach service (bring your favorite "bubba mug"). We started each day at the saltwater pool. This is certainly one of the more interesting places at the resort. We were surprised by the number of people that we spoke to that did not visit Las Rocas. If you have younger kids or would like to try snorkeling in an area where you are safe this is the place. There are two bridges that provide shade and structure for fish. While we were there we found a sea horse within the pool. We also followed a resident barracuda on several days. They host a fire show at the saltwater pool and the following day there were significantly fewer fish in the pool. I can't say for sure that the two are related but it appeared so. As far as snorkeling off of the beach....all I can say is AWESOME. We have done an excursion to Xel-Ha in the past as well as snorkeling with guides. The snorkeling at this resort is very close in terms of number of fish. Directly out from the flag pole by the bar at the south end of the beach there is a reef structure that is 70- 90 yards from shore. There are literally hundreds of fish in this area every single day. We saw sunfish an eagle ray and many, many others. A little further out toward the buoys there is a section of reef with huge fan coral. The other thing to mention here is that the water is only 4-6 feet deep. The buffets have good variety and they offer different themes on different days. We spent most of our time at the Colonial/Kantenah section of the resort. We did take the train one evening to travel the entire resort. The train is a good way to get from lobby to lobby and then you can grab a golf cart to get to your villa. If I were to be critical of anything it would probably be the service from the servers in the buffets. It is sometimes a wait for beverages to be refilled or to get silverware. I don't think the servers are actually to blame, I believe they are given so much area to cover that delays happen due to that circumstance. The grounds are beautiful and there are coatis and iguanas everywhere. There are also signs everywhere telling visitors to not feed the animals. However, there are always those that think they know better. We witnessed a woman feeding coatis after breakfast one morning, and once the coatis figured out where the food was coming from they did not have a problem climbing up her legs to get at the food a little quicker. She was mortified that an animal would climb up her to get to food...DUH! All in all this resort has something for everyone and we are already discussing returning to the Grand Palladium Kantenah, which is pretty significant because we have not returned to the same resort as of yet. I must also say that we are not difficult people to please, if you want to be waited on hand and foot this is probably not the place for you. If you want an awesome beach, an extra large pool and a multitude of choices to occupy your time than this is quite possibly to place for you.

Room Tip: Before choosing a room try to decide what you will be doing and choose a villa that is near that sit...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank Yamahammer
Dear Yamahammer,

thank you for your points, they are all very honest and it is a very helpful guide in our opinion.

Saulty water pool is definetly one of the best tips for the future travellers.

We love to know that even knowing you have never repeat teh same resort twice, you are considering your retorn with us. Please do not forget to send me an email precious that and let me now your room preferences, as you will start in the repeater guest program.

Warm regards,