“Fantastic trip to GP Kantenah....”

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Just came back from the Grand Palladium Kantenah. Many of the other reviews already explain the breakdown...there are 4 or 5 big resorts all together in one very large complex. The Kantenah and Colonial are one grouping, and the Riviera and White Sands are in another. I believe there is another section called Royal Suites as well, but didn't go over there.

This was our 8th trip to the Carribean, and we've been to Mexico(5), Punta Cana(DR)(2) and Cuba(1). We were travelling in 5, my wife and I, and our kids 9, 7, and 3.

Overall, we both agree that this was our best vacation yet and yes we would return to the GPK. The reason I have this a 4 star instead of 5 was the terrible situation with the restaurants. Hopefully they can improve this. Otherwise, 5 stars for sure. Here are my thoughts overall on the resort:

We flew with Air Transat from Toronto. The flight was good and a meal was provided. There was a bus waiting for us. It's about 90 mins or more from the Airport to the resort, so pack a book or tablet or something to keep you (or your kids) occupied. The transfers to and from the resort were un-eventful.

IMHO, research is key before you go. Google the resort map and see what amenities you want to be near. We requested building 50 or 51, which is near the kids club and ended up in building 50 which was really great. The room was very nice and reasonably large with a small balcony. The bathroom was also really nicely finished. Everything worked properly. Housekeeping was good....mini fridge had a few pops, beers and water and was refreshed daily. Don't drink the water from the tap (if you don't already know that). We chose to use the bottled water to brush our teeth, just to be sure. No-one from our party was sick while we were there.

The resort is big, yes, but we enjoyed walking around due to all the big meals. Also, if you choose to stay in your resort "grouping" area, which we did most of the time, then it's really not so bad at all. We've been to much bigger places. There are trains and carts that can get you here and there if you ask but we didn't use them most of the time. Wasn't a big deal for us at all, and keep in mind we had a small kid with us.

The kids area attached to the main pool is great, as it has a graduated floor, slowly getting deeper so that the little ones can play in the shallow area while the older ones can go out a little further and we can keep an eye on all of them from the comfort of our chairs! The main pool area is about 5 and a half feet deep, which was OK for me, but neither my wife nor my kids could touch the bottom. Pool temperature was absolutely perfect...just cool enough to be refreshing. Also, it was a saltwater pool, which was just fabulous. (to be clear, this is not ocean water salty, just pool salty).

There is an amazing water park as well....5 water slides, a big dump bucket and 4 small kiddie slides as well which my littlest guy absolutely loved. The water in that area is about 18 to 24 inches deep and is perfect for the little ones. But even my older kids liked some of the bigger slides!

We did some walking on the beach....it was nice. Water was not overly rough. Some seaweed.

The grounds are very well kept. There are people cleaning, sweeping, washing everything, everywhere. I must have seen about half a dozen people cleaning the pool over the week...everything was immaculate and well kept.

The drinks were very good I thought. As usual, some of them are way too sweet, but the choice of drink is up to you. I've always found that you need to do some quick research when you get to a resort to find out which brands of alcohol they carry are the good ones...then just request those as the week goes on. Try the Flor De Cana Anejo Rum, and the Viuda de Romero or Casadores Tequila !!!! Good stuff!

The Bartenders were all pretty great and never had an issue adding more alcohol to the drink if you requested it. IMHO, these guys have it RIGHT! I don't want 50 watered down drinks, just a few really good ones...and the GPK delivered. Well done. One small complaint...all the bars seemed to run out of Irish Cream...it happened many times at different bars....come on now...get with the program and keep it in stock! Also, I'm a bit of a wine snob, and I have to say that the house White wine wasn't awful (as it has been at some other resorts), and the Red was OK, but not great. Drinkable, but not memorable. No poolside drink service, but there are bars everywhere, so it's just a short walk if you want something.

As for food, it was pretty good, but not great, but what can you expect really when feeding thousands of people? If you've read other reviews, you've read the stories about the a la carte restaurants...they are true. You need to line up by 5:15pm to get a table at a decent hour, otherwise be prepared to wait 45 mins to 1.5 hours, and rarely were the restaurants full....I think they only staff the restaurants at a certain level, and can therefore only handle a small number of tables at one time. Brutal. We did this twice and then gave up. The "asian" restaurant (Bamboo) was not good, and they were horribly slow. The Brazilian place (called "Rodizio" was pretty decent actually).

Out of the 8 restaurants, only 2 require reservations...the Japanese Teppanyaki and another one we didn't go to. To make a reservation, you have to line up at 7:30 in the morning, and the concierge arrives at 8am to make the reservations for the NEXT day. However, there are 5 concierge desks around the resort, all starting at 8am. I was 6th in line, which equated to being 30th in line! Not surprisingly, I didn't get a reservation that time. Next day was better and we got into the Teppanyaki place. Sadly, it was a huge let down. The show is nice, but the food was horrible. Terribly salty, veggies were burned, and overall it just tasted awful. The dessert was the best part of that meal. What a let down after all that hassle.

The rest of the time we went to the buffets. The Kantenah bufffet is called the Tikal, and the Colonial buffet is called La Hacienda. They are side by side and share the same kitchen, so they are effectively the same buffet. They had "themes" each night....chinese, mexican, etc. Service was hit and miss. Helio at the Tikal was very attentive and friendly and overall I was extremely impressed by him. David, an older gentleman was excellent as well. In terms of food...there was a TON of selection....if you can't find something good to eat here, you must be unbelievably picky.

For Breakfast, they had the typical egg/omelet station...fresh and made to order. Excellent. They also had like 10 types of bread and buns, freshly made doughnuts, 2 or 3 types of eggs, bacon, sausages and tons of coldcuts, cheese, fresh fruit and yogurt. They even had freshly made specialty juices like Orange/Mango, or Red Beet/apple etc. I could have stayed there all day.

For lunch (or a later breakfast) the open-air buffet called The Grand Azul opens up (near the main pool). This was a great place for lunch IMHO. Not as much choice as the big buffet, but they had a fresh grill, pasta station, salads, veggies, fruit, dessert etc. You can always find something good to eat. I enjoyed having the grill guy cook me up some fresh chicken on a bun. Almost every single buffet / beach restaurant had a soft serve ice cream machine...much to the delight of my kids, and they were all in good working order. Great guacamole and fresh chips as well!

One downside are the little wooden bridges that connect buildings 49, 50 and 51 to the main area.....these are a bit of a hazard. Loose boards, missing railing pieces etc. Very tough to get a stroller across there...bump, bump, bump....hold on to your kids!

There is a TON of wildlife....we must have seen a dozen large iguanas, birds, anteaters, raccoons etc. DON'T FEED THEM! They keep coming back if you do! One actually jumped on our table at the Grand Azul and stole a bun right off my plate! there are also a few wildlife areas where there are some crocodiles (not sure why this is here...just a huge fenced off area) and a nice flamingo area as well. We noticed one tiny lizard on the wall in our room. We called housekeeping and they came quickly and removed it (without killing it!).

The activities team were an energetic bunch...and there was always something to do. We didn't participate in too many activities as we were with the kids most of the time. Mr. Bow Wow was a lot of fun though, and the trivia games were great!

Mini Club (4-12) / Baby Club (<4) - The girls at the Mini/baby Club were fantastic: Ana, Luisa, Rochelle, and all the other girls whose names I can't recall (especially the tall girl...she was great with my little guy...her name just escapes me at the moment). There is a playground, a trampoline etc. There were lots of activities (crafts, pool time, shell hunting etc) and for a few hours here and there, the kids really enjoyed it. The Baby club area is fully indoors and has lots of safe play choices and a TV for kids movies. They also do kids shows and activities in the Colonial theatre at 8pm which my kids really enjoyed.

Dario at the Dive Shop was also worth mentioning. He introduced my older kids (9 and 7) to scuba in the pool and he was absolutely EXCELLENT!! He knew his stuff, he was great with the kids, and had all the equipment ready as promised. What a great experience for my boys! It was a pleasure dealing with him....a really nice guy.

The staff are always working really hard....always hustling here and there, cleaning, clearing, etc. I was very impressed with the work ethic of the whole resort. The staff were also extremely polite and friendly. No one ever expected a tip that I could tell, but I was happy to give it out. Service was spotty here and there, but everyone seemed to be working very hard.

I also want to mention that if you walk down on the beach, near the Punta Emilia beach bar, you will find a small grouping of carts selling bracelets, pottery, Hena tattoos etc. They are run by a young woman named Martha who is truly an artist. She painted a piece of pottery for me and did an absolutely FABULOUS job. My kids also did some painting with her, which she touched up prior to glazing which also came out great. She was very nice to deal with, and was fair in terms of negotiating her pricing.
So, overall, we were extremely happy with this resort compared to others we've been to. We would definitely give this place strong consideration when planning our next vacation!

Room Tip: Google the resort map and see where you want to be in relation to the amenities of the resort. No e...
8  Thank FabioB_Toronto
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear FabioB_Toronto,

I would like to give you thank you for your time and for your complete review. We appreciate all of this information.

We are working every day in the maintenance of the resort. In all moment, we try to do our best effort for that our guest have a nice stay with us.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Yeah, I'm in heaven when I'm vacationing at a resort where the beds are comfy, the food is good and the resort is clean.....and a bonus is when the water and beach are beautiful. The Kantenah had it all and more. I'm south, I'm full and the sun is shining ,my feet hit the sand and smile stays on my face the whole vacation.....thanks Kantenah . If your going to Mexico stay here you won't regret it...In my opinion it's a solid 4 1/2 star . We travel once a year and try different all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and south.
PS to manger...when guests are travelling by bus to resort hand out the hotel forms for the guests to fill out.... Then they don't have to stand in line at the front desk for very long.....just a suggestion....thx, Jules

4  Thank Jcots

Dear Jcots,

Thank for your good comments and for your time.

With best regards,

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I won't reiterate everyones comments. It is a great place. Beautiful pools, lots of chairs. The food was great and lots of variety. Clean rooms. My only complaint is that because of the size getting into the a la cartes was a hassle. There were 10 in our group and that was part of the problem. We had to wait at the very least an hour to get into the a la carte because no reservations are allowed. Except for the Japan restaurant. And this really angered me because I stood in line for 40 minutes to get a reservation. There were only 4 people ahead of me and when it was my turn they only had a possible 10pm spot left. This was unacceptable as we had young children. Something needs to be done in regards to that. Otherwise, it's a great place. But due to it's size, I don't think we will return.

Room Tip: be prepared to walk. It's very large.

Dear Lisa J,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. Regarding the a la carta restaurantes, we have a public relations departament that help our guest with any situation.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Grand Palladium and this was our second visit to this resort. As a rule we never go back to the same hotel twice but since we had such a fantastic holiday back in September 2011 with our friends we were determined to return. All I can say is we weren't disappointed and our holiday this time was just as good as the first if not better. This resort just pulls out all the stops. Its clean, staff are extremely attentive, the pools are fantastic, all the a la carte restaurants were out of this world and plenty of bars to get a drink. As for the beach well, it's just beautiful.

We stayed in the colonial for our first stay and the Kantenah for this stay. Our room in the Kantenah was fabulous.

The grounds at this resort are second to none and as far as I can see there are no others like it.

I would like to say a big thank you to Lucia Moreno for all her efforts in accommodating my requests in my email before our visit. You certainly did us proud and can't wait for our return with our friends in 2016 when we shall be returning to celebrate our many big birthdays that year.

Thank you Grand Palladium for another outstanding and memorable holiday.

The Segway experience within the holiday is absolutely brilliant and a must do and Xel-Ha is a fantastic day out of resort.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Piglet30
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Piglet30,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. I am glad to know that you have had a nice second stay at Grand Palladium.

Best regards from Riviera Maya.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We just got back from Grand Palladium Kantenah last week. We are a family of 5, which includes 3 kids (5,4, and 1). We were there from the 11th to the 18th. We flew down with Air Transat from Toronto. Here's my review broken down into sections:

TRANSFER TIME: The drive from the airport to GPK is approx 1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) on the bus. It's a very straight and smooth ride. We were going to rent a car for the week, but weren't sure about road safety. If you're thinking about it, go for it, the drive couldn't be any easier. There are a couple of police checkpoints, but I can't stress how easy the drive is. Not many cars on the road, either. Renting a car will cost you about the same as a trip to and from Playa Del Carmen by taxi, and you could drive down the street to Tulum and other areas too, on your own.

CHECK IN TIME: Coming off the bus with about 6 or 7 other families meant it was a bit of a wait. Check in was at least 10-15 minutes per family/couple. They do come around with cold drinks, but they should work on making that easier. Perhaps offering the paperwork on the bus trip from the hotel.

ACCOMMODATIONS: Our room, 4817, had two double beds (probably slightly bigger) and a couch that pulls out into a bed. Our children all slept on the pull out bed which is not high, so we weren't worried about them falling off the bed and hurting themselves and we didn't bother to get a crib as they all fit nicely. Rooms were nice, and had nice paintings on the wall. The TV had some American stations, BBC and some Spanish channels, too. We also had a stocked mini fridge and we had 4 bottles of water a day plus soft drinks. There was also a coffee maker, iron/ironing board and free safe. We had a/c issues when we got there, but we called reception and the problem was resolved within a half hour and our room was cold! (Much needed!) If you find the room is too cold, slightly open the balcony door and the a/c turns off.

FOOD (Buffet): We are not overly picky eaters, so we found something anytime we were at the buffets. The Kantenah and Colonial lobbies are back to back, so the buffets are also beside each other. You can eat any one of them, although we found ourselves eating a majority of our breakfast at the Colonial, as it was open until 11am for breakfast. They also had fresh fruit/vegetable juices being prepared by the staff using a Vitamixer. For breakfast, you can't go wrong with a freshly prepared Omelette and some bacon! The lunch buffet by the pool had burgers, fries, hot dogs, pizza and also had "real" food like rice, ribs, lamb, etc (was different depending on the day). Fresh salad is also always an option at all meals and restaurants with the exception of the beach bar.

FOOD (A la carte): They have 8 a la cartes throughout the 4 resorts. We visited 3 of the 8. The Japanese is the only one that takes reservations the day before. If you want a reservation, be in the lobby at the desk at 10 minutes to 8 to ensure you get a spot. If you don't mind to get a 10pm reservation, then I found you could go there at any point the day before. The Japanese (Sumptuori) was good, it's Teppanyaki style, so it's very entertaining. The Steakhouse (El Dorado) was pretty good, as was Ribs'N'More (American). And all restaurants offer a kid's menu with pizza, fish fingers, etc. We aren't drinkers, but wine is charged to your room if you desire that. They also have a lobster/steak option in all the a la cartes that is extra and can be charged to your room. If you arrive at 5:30-6 you won't have to wait, or not much of a wait. Anytime after that, expect to wait up to 1 hour, 45 minutes. For those of you with kids, each night an a la carte is adults only, so be sure to check which restaurant is on which night.

KIDS: The Kids Club was well enjoyed by our kids. They have different themes everyday. Our 5 and 4 year olds loved it. They took them to lunch and included them in 'mini' productions on some nights at 8pm. They did arts/crafts, pool time, sea shell searches. It is outside, but they have a park for them to swing, rock climb, trampoline, etc.. and they have their own bathrooms. My kids asked to go every morning when we got up! The baby club keeps the kids in all day out of the sun, so we didn't bother to send our 1 year old. It is also air conditioned in the baby club.

POOL: The pool is massive. It gets deep fairly quickly in most parts, so you may want to keep the kids in the kids pool. The kids pool is amazing! It's got 5 big water slides, and several small ones. Plus, there is a toddler pool with a few mini slides. Our children absolutely LOVED the kids pool. Even I wanted to go down the slides! (No adults allowed though, at least I never saw an adult on them).

BEACH: This was initially a disappointment. We are beach people. There are several loungers always available. The resort was busy that week, but even getting to the beach at 11am, we were able to pull 3 or 4 chairs together. The beach had a reef bottom in some sections, like some reviewers have mentioned, but if you walk further down closer to the edge of the hotel it's fine. Even staying in the hotel beach area, I didn't need water shoes, like some people have mentioned. The sand on the beach isn't powder, but it's not ultra rocky either. You can walk on it with no issues. I saw some people snorkelling. If you walk down the beach to what looks like an old closed down hotel area, the water is perfect and you can go far out.

Be sure to take a drive down to Playa Del Carmen. Fifth Avenue has plenty of good shopping and most jewelery places can be bargained down a lot. Always start at least 75% off the price they ask.

OVERALL: We had a great, relaxing time at the Grand Palladium. We are not the type to go to the same country over and over, but if we came back to Playa Del Carmen, we would stay again.

Room Tip: No elevators, so if you have a stroller remember it'll be a hike everyday! There are 3 levels t...
4  Thank Ursula W
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Curlylockss,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Had a great 10 days here for my big 40. Sadly we were not offered any kind of upgrade even though both my fella and I emailed months before and asked at reception a bit disappointing given the occasion.
However our room was nice although smelt of damp but the air con gets rid of that. Great location near flamingo pool. The wildlife was amazing saw the cutest raccons, monkeys, anteaters and iguanas (if they freak you out this is not the place for you they are everywhere but I like them).
The beach was lovely and clean we found main pool too noisy bad music and very kid focused. .. If you want peace try the pool behind the kids activity club it's great with a bar.
The best Mexican food is on the beach bar white sands end delicious. The buffets were pretty good altho a bit hectic at times but a good variety of food and clean and lovely staff.
Only two complaints no ketchup at brekkie ... but available at dinner.... yes sad I Know but eggs are not eggs without it.
Now the bad bit if you want to go to Al a carte restaurants you can't book you turn up and if it's 530 to 6 you are ok but any later they book you in for an hour later which is a major faff three nights we were told fully booked at 8 PM. Come on sort out a booking system please this poor chaotic process ruined the evenings for us.
best restaurant by far is the Italian don't bother with the Chinese it's dire.
Finally just a warning trips are expensive as is the on site supermarket bring suncream with u.. If you book to go on certain trips they expect u to take only biodegradable suncream what a coincidence it's sold in the shop lol.
We took the fat cat cartermran adults only a real giggle and lots of rum punch and turtles.
Above all a great hotel great people and great weather.
A final warning booking in is very slloowwwww the receptionist runs thru maps etc individually with each traveller madness ...also be prepared to pay 40 exit tax in cash at airport (cheeky or what) and to face sheer chaos in arrivals make sure you fill in visa form on plan and the bottom part of you will queue for hours and yes that's hours.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank judithcharmers09

Dear judithcharmers09,

Thank you for your time and for your comments. I would like to comment that all request are subject to the availability of the resort.

With best regards,

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at kantenah grand palladium , but just were not wowed.

the good:
- Rooms were nicely updated and spacious.
each had balcony. we had jungle view , as did most people. Very few ocean views at this resort.
-Beach is nice, and long. Lots of chairs on the beach with lots of shade palms and palapas. Never had a problem with getting a seat, even without playing the 'towel game' at the crack of dawn.
-We did enjoy the tepanaki restaurant/show table, and went twice. To reserve a seat , you have to be at the reservation desk at the main lobby before 8 a.m. to reserve for the next day. Not a problem for me, but if you are not an early riser, don't count on eating there. Seats go very quickly.
-Buildings are separated by jungle type foliage, so each building seems secluded, and there is a lot of wildlife on site, coatimundi( a type of racoon), iguana, possum. Makes the walks around the complex interesting. They also have penned in flamingoes and crocodiles.
-snorkeling off the beach is decent. the resort is also a short collectivo bus ride to akumal bay where we snorkeled to see the turtles. They are there year round and are spectacular.

the so-so:

-The house wine provided was lame. They were constantly trying to get you to buy an upgraded decent bottle of wine at inflated prices. I am not a wine snob. We took a collectivo bus about 10 minutes north of the resort to the chedraui (walmart type store) and got great argentinian wine for under 10$ a bottle.
We drank that instead.
-A lot of walking. I don't mind walking, good for neutralizing the large dinners, but if you were going for dinner or entertainment on the far side of the complex, it is at least a 20 minute walk. OK in February, but I would expect to be sweat soaked if I tried the same walks to dinner in May-Sept. They do have shuttles, but they don't run quite as frequently as I'd like, and are not door to door. It would still require at least 10 minutes of walking plus 15+ minutes waiting for the shuttle. Just not the relaxing experience you would hope for. We mostly ate at the restaurants convenient to our area of the resort, which limited us somewhat.
If you have serious walking issues(we did see 2 people in wheelchairs, and some with recent injuries requiring crutches), you would be advised to choose a smaller resort. (We have fitbit devices that monitor steps, and between beach walking and restaurants put in over 15,000 steps daily)
-Except for the japanese restaurant and the seafood restaurant, there are no reservations. That can be a good thing if the resort is not crowded, but February is peak season. If you got to your restaurant at 730, it might be 1 1/2 hour wait for dinner, or even no more available seats at some restaurants.
We ate earlier, 6ish, usually no significant wait for a table at that hour. In general , though the restaurants were mediocre. We ate at italian, steak house, mexican and japanese. Would only recommend the japanese tepanaki.
-No outdoor hot tubs? at a beach resort? Unless you would pay $10 per person per day to use the spa facilities.
-No room service. I know this is not a deal breaker, but just not as nice as other resorts with room service.
-No waitress service on the beach. Again, not a deal breaker, just not as nice as some other resorts.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hehren
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear hehren,

Thank you for to share with us and other readers your comments. We respect your point of view but always we try to help our guests with everything.
Regarding the wines, we have house wine and we have an option of others wines with extra cost. This is optional for our guest.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the furute.

Sincerly,

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#69 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!