“Great Vacation!”

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed at this resort in January. Our family booked at the Colonial and on check in we were offered the Kantenah. The rooms were very well kept and clean. I think the rooms were recently remodeled. The resort is large and well laid out. There is a lot of walking but, we did not mind because we ate a lot of food and this was our way to work it off. If there was a negative it would be when we booked the Spa was included and when we got there it was for the cost of $10.00. The staff were kind and the food was very good in some places and pretty good in others but there are plenty of places to choose from. My only regret was our stay was not long enough. Thank you Grand Palladium for the wonderful memories for our family.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear 753Dawn,

Thank you for your comments and for your time.

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Palladium last year in March 2013 for our Wedding Anniversary and as soon as we got home we booked to return in March 2014.

This place is amazing:
Friendly staff, beautiful jungle setting and wildlife, long white beach, stunning SPA with infinity pool, secret adult pools, swim up bar with music, plenty of a la carte restaurants, fantastic buffet, bar areas with friendly service, great entertainment too....there's something for everyone here.

We are very excited to be returning; this year with our daughter as a university graduation treat.. so a double celebration! :)

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KathRobinsonArtley

Dear KathRobinsonArtley,

I appreciate to know that you have had a great time with us. Thank you for your time.

Have a nice day!!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This was our second time at this hotel and it couldn't have been any better. We took our son and his girlfriend with us and they were overwhelmed by the beauty and standards of this place.
We got the same room as last year as requested and the kids were close to us...We had a fantastic time.

This trip we did an excursion, snorkeling at 3 different places along with zip lining and cave exploring..
Our host/guide was Edmondo (Mondo) with Adventuras Mayas....he was an added bonus to this trip..
We hadn't laughed so much than this day.. charming, knowledgeable, extremely helpful and Hilarious.
I would recommend this for anyone that loves to have a great time. The equipment was supplied and photographers captured some great moments.
If you want Five * rating go there, they treat you like family and GP Kantenah is our extended family. We will be going back in October, this is our home away from home and Mondo is our brother..

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Dear 27alex,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your good comments about your stay at Grand Palladium. I appreciate to know that you have had a nice vacation with us.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Have a nice day!!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed at this resort as part of a family group attending a wedding. The weather, wedding setting, were totally amazing. The accommodations here are nice, but a bit worn. The staff are very hard working, attention to the little details make you take notice. There is always cleaning going on. The washroom facilities probably among the cleanest we have experienced in Mexico. I was a little disappointed to see some guests refuse the hand sani when they entered the buffet. Its for all our protection and should not be refused. It was easy to meet up with different parties to participate in activities, the tram system is accommodating, and waits were not unreasonable.
The food service was really good in some restaurants and not so good in others. The buffets had the best selection for fresh and readily available. The a la carte restaurants were a bit difficult to use, we found that the time wait estimates were not well organized so just chose other venues. When we dined at the Chinese restaurant our food was lukewarm at best and we asked to have it heated. At the mediteranian restaurant the portions for the males in our group were quite small, but went back to the salad bar for filler. The beaches, pools were extremely clean and well maintained, bar service was great at some not so good at others. There is a lot of choice which makes it easy to stay happy. After all you are in Mexico, and looking for a reason to move.

1  Thank butler52
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear butler52,

Thank you for your time and for your comments.

Cordially,

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Chances are if you are checking out Trip Advisor, you are either about to book a trip or have already booked one and are reading the reviews heading into your trip.

In summary, you won't be dissapointed with this resort unless you are a cronic complainer. It is one of the best ones we have been to in our travels.

I take an annual trip to the carribean all inclusive. Been to Cancun, Riva Maya, Jamacia, Puerto Vallarta, Aruba. So, I have quite a bit of experience in knowing what resorts are good and what are lackluster.

Beach: Beautiful. A mile long with quiet areas and busier areas. Rocky in some parts, but plenty of sandy areas to swim at.
Pools:

Food: Stellar. We especially enjoyed the Brazilian, Japanese, and Steak house. Service was top notch. The buffetts were great as well. If you didn't like the prepared dishes for some reason, you always had the choice of stations that would make you things to order: Omlettes, eggs, pasta bar, grilled chicken, steak, and fish.

Service: Top notch. Never had any issues. I do tip some when I get good service and a buck or two for a round of drinks.

Grounds: Beautifu. Clean, a nice jungle type resort. There are some roaming animals (racoons, lemurs, lizards, etc) that might be a negative to some people, but I found they added to the experience.

Entertainment: I am not a "show person" but I was impressed with the 2 I went to. (Pirate show and fire show). The entertainment staff at the Colonial pool were great as well. They had activities, but didn't harass you to participate like they do at some resorts. Bow Wow was especiallly entertaining.

This resort is PERFECT for families and couples. It is not a party place that I would go to if I were a college kid on spring break. Keep in mind, this resort is HUGE. If you have problems getting around, I might consider someplace else. I personally enjoyed the walking as I got to work off some of the great food I ate.

Room Tip: Middle 2 sections of the resort if you don't like to walk. Look at a resort map and email a requ...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MSUJason

Dear MSUJason,

On behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for taking time to share with us your comments.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed in January with my partner. We had a room in the Kantanah section which was very nice and clean and well equipped. It took a couple of days to get our bearings around all the resort, we hardly ever used the hotel transport apart from late at night, not due to any problems, usually because we were too full of food and drink! The staff were extremely hard working and the majority of them were very friendly and helpful. A big hello to the boys and girls in the Colonial bar, which was normally our last port of call before bed, they were always on the ball. There is no way anyone could starve at this resort, the vast variety of food available is astounding, prepare to put on a few pounds!! There are a number of pools to choose from, obviously the main pools are usually busy especially the kids area, which has recently been revamped and looks like great fun for the youngsters. Always plenty of activities going on around the main pools, but if you want a bit more peace, try the adult pools or one of the smaller ones. There is a lovely sandy beach with loads of sunbeds if you prefer to be by the sea. The salt water pool area is well worth a visit with some stunning views and rock pools full of colourful fish. The wildlife is abundant with a whole host of animals and birds, even saw a snake slither across the road! There were no real downsides to this place at all, my only criticism would be having to queue to get a table in the buffet restaurants to which I could see not point as there were always loads of empty tables, although to be fair, we were usually seated in less than a minute. Weather was generally good, although had a couple of rainy days, but still found plenty to do, even managed the gym. All in all this was a lovely holiday in a great resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rae L
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Rae L,

Thank you for your comments and for your time.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

This was our second time at this resort. First time was at the Colonial in 2007. Overall the time we spent here was good. I have a few negatives to give to start with. To start with, after checking in I discovered the safe was locked. The guest prior should have left it open so that the combination could be reset so that I could use it. I went to the front desk to see if it could be opened, as I didn't want to leave my passports, money etc out. They promised they would have someone there soon. I waited for 45 minutes then left the room to go for dinner. The next morning I tried again, and again they said 15 minutes. Again nobody showed after 1/2 hour. Again I called the front desk and explained that I am on vacation and don't feel like spending it waiting for someone to come to our room to fix the problem. After getting a little testy someone did finally come and open it. The next thing that bothered me was I felt intimidated walking on the pathways by the vehicles driving on them. They drive way to fast, and almost felt like if you got in their way they would hit you. I understand they have a job to do, and only so much time to do it, but slow down a little. I think they could spend a little to upgrade the upholstery on a lot of there shuttles and trains. The seat cushions and seat backs are rotten and falling off. It would improve the image they are trying to portray at very little cost. The resort itself is very well maintained and this gives a negative impression as they look pretty tired and run down.
Another thing is the room we were in only had two single electrical outlets that I could find. As I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea I needed an outlet to plug it into. The cord was too short to reach the nearest outlet, so I again went to the front desk to see if they had an extention cord I could use. They had one, but would only give it to me if I gave a twenty dollar deposit.
I had wanted at least a queen size bed, but got two double beds. The beds were not what I would consider comfortable, thus the sleep quality was poor.
The food I would rate as just okay. There was definitely lots to choose from, but compared to other resorts I have been to it just wasn't that appealing. The coffee is terrible, more like coloured water than anything.
Other than the above the vacation was great. The facilities are spotlessly clean and well maintained (other than the shuttles). The staff are always polite, and hard working. The highlight of our vacation was the weather was great everyday. I know the resort has no control over the weather, but it sure can make all the difference when it is hot.
I would probably not come back to this resort for a third time. I said that last time as well, however we came back to meet some family members who came a week before us and we decided to surprise them.

2  Thank DaddyCntw8
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear DaddyCntw8,

I would like to offer your my apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. I will check this with our front desk.

Please, if you change your opinion and you decide to visit us for a third time , don't hesitate to contact with me.

Have a nice day!

Resident Manag

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!