“Great place - nice people”

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Great place - nice people”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed for one week in February 2014. Went with an extended family wedding party.

Lots of activities for kids. We did not really take advantage of the other activities, but others certainly were. We were told the facility was basically full, but we never had an issue finding a beach or pool chair.

The buffet restaurants were usually busy, but we never waited very long. A strange system for the a la carte - first come first serve for the most part. The food was varied and good... at the buffet and the a la cartes. Particularly enjoyed the Japanese show kitchen.

We stayed on the Katenah side, and others in our party on the Colonial side. They were about equal from what we could see. The White Sands/Royal side looked probably newer, and more geared towards adults. People were free to roam almost anywhere, so you can think of it as one super facility. Our rooms were good... a few points where the fit and finish is showing the age of the buildings (10+ years I expect), but still good.

I was generally really impressed with the staff, and a few well placed tips certainly encouraged good service for drinks at the buffet restaurants. I never met a staff person without a smile on their face. A few minor issues with lineups for checkin and checkout, but overall A+ on the service side.

Shows - cheesy but entertaining. We were with kids so did not stay up late.

Spa - massages well received by our group. Seems always "two for one" so negotiate.

The only thing that seemed not to work too well was the golf-cart service around the resort. Good transportation between lobbies, but not really reliable or scheduled for the broader facility. An issue if you are mobility challenged, but otherwise not a concern.

We would go back... the few issues we had were very minor compared with the overall experience. The only reason for this to be 4 stars rather than 5 is the aging rooms, which are still very good.

Room Tip: White Sands side probably more suited for adults. Look for Colonial side near beach for overall cen...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Suzanne V
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Suzanne V,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. I appreciate your opinion and please, if you decide to visit us in the future and we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort Jan. 23 - 30, 2014. This was our first time here and we loved it! Everything about the resort was perfect! The beach was beautiful! My son loved snorkeling everyday but be careful. He stepped on a sea urchin. Thankfully we had one of the medics/life-gaurds remove it and he was ok. Food was delicous and enjoyed every meal. We upgraded to a suite and the only thing I didn't like was the pull-out couch was not comfortable and either were the beds. I would highly recommend this resort and hope to return next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear LesleyB2424,

On behalf of the team of Grand Palladium, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments. I am glad to know that you and your family have had a nice stay with us.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Spent 2 weeks here mid December with my husband and 7mth old baby and had a really good holiday.

The resort was lovely and with the 3 hotels all on one complex with shared facilities it meant there was plenty of places to walk, drink and eat so you never got bored.

Resort itself felt like a secluded paradise, lots of wildlife and ultra clean. Lots of pools to enjoy and a lovely stretch of beach

Room was a good size, cleaned and mini bar restocked daily

Food was good and best all inclusive hotel we've been to with regards to choice. Daytime you had the Buffets and beach bars. With evening having the buffet and 8 ala cartes. The fact you didn't have to rebook the restaurants and just had a pager system was great as you could eat what you fancied on the day. We ate at all 8 over our 2 week stay. Some were better than others but our personal favourite was the Japanese (both the normal and teppanyaki) and the Brazilian

Drinks selection was extremely impressive and loved working our way through the 2 page cocktail menu as well as having the traditional tequila

Only minor gripes would be
- child highchairs did not have a tray (with the exception of one we found at the Brazilian) which would have made life a little easier
- toilet lights had a time delay before switching off, great to save electric but was a really short delay and often left me trying to change a baby in the dark
- for such a large hotel it could really do with a central lost and found. My little boy lost his favourite rattle. As we could not say where he had thrown it out of his pram the hotel staff weren't able to really help to see if they locate it due to there being more than 1 lost property
- bars serving premium drinks were adult only, would be nice if they had available for adults with children if only for a certain part of the day
- never many carriages on the trains between the resorts in the day and no queuing system so trying to get on one with children was a nightmare so ended up having to walk everywhere (although did enjoy the exercise)

Overall a lovely holiday and a hotel we'd recommend and will probably revisit one day.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Joanne055
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Joanne055,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments and your observations.
I will share this information with the rest of the team.

Have a nice day!!

Centreville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Sorry, this is a delayed review – I felt like once I wrote it, it would definitely mean our vacation was over, so I put it off. :-)

We traveled to the Grand Palladium September 27th to October 7th 2013. This was our third time returning to the resort and our first time using AGI for transportation to the hotel. We will absolutely book with AGI going forward – they were prompt and polite, and the cold bottle of water was definitely a nice touch!

We always stay in the Kantenah section and this was our first time returning after the renovations had been completed. I sent a room request in advance which was acknowledged via e-mail, but I don’t believe it had made it to our “file.” The hotel booking was under my boyfriend’s name, and I sent a room request from my email address and signed both of our names on it, so maybe they assumed the booking was under my name and it was misplaced. We had requested a room similar to the one we had on our last visit (#4913) and I also mentioned that we were returning guests celebrating our 5-year anniversary, but there was no mention of this once we arrived. Not a huge deal because we love the resort and know that there are no guarantees, and we are easy-going people in general.

Once we arrived, however, we were told by the bellboy to put our luggage back in the AGI van, because they had us in the Riviera section! I told him that we had booked Kantenah and showed him our confirmation, and he said “well, you’ve been upgraded to Riviera, so you need to go there.” I don’t believe that he meant to be rude but it seemed like there was no reasoning with him – he kept saying “you’ve been upgraded!” - so I definitely got a little annoyed. I went to speak to the folks at reception and explained the situation. They looked up the reservation and said they had no king bed rooms in the Kantenah available, and I told him that that didn’t matter, as I had stated in my room request. So that was a little snafu, but in the end we got our Kantenah room.

We were upgraded to a Junior suite in building 50. The renovated room looked great – everything was really clean and modern. We had third-floor view of the jungle and in the evenings the coatimundis would climb up the trees and go to sleep right at our eye-level! Pretty amazing!!

After dinner and drinks the first night we came to our room around 11:30 pm and walked right into a puddle of water – leaky air conditioner. I called the front desk and they sent someone from maintenance to look at it. They also sent someone from housekeeping to come and clean up the mess. I definitely want to mention that I was really impressed by their prompt attention to the situation, even though it was nearly midnight. I would not have expected them to send someone out until the morning so the fact that they came AND with smiles on their faces truly shows how hard-working the GP staff is. Alas, two days later, the AC leaked again, and we were offered to upgrade again to a Mayan Suite. We had never booked a Mayan before so we thought this would be a great opportunity to check it out and see if it’s worth it.

Second minor hiccup with the reception folks – We were told the Mayan Suite was ready at around 8pm and we could either pack up and switch rooms right then, or wait until morning. Since we were already dolled up for dinner, we decided to wait until morning. Well, in the morning, no one at reception had any idea that we were supposed to switch rooms, and they assumed that we wanted to pay for an upgrade. We spent a good while at reception explaining the situation, and then were told that we had to vacate our room, leave all our stuff in the lobby, and wait until at least 3pm to get a new room. I had to explain that the room was ready the previous night, so it should have been ready that morning. After a little back-and-forth with reception, and we were finally taken to our room. Didn’t have to wait until 3 after all… Again, not a huge issue, but I wish there was a little better communication between pm staff and am staff.

So now I’m done with the bumps in the road. :-) Everything else was fantastic, as usual. We noticed a lot more wildlife this time around, and a lot more people feeding them. Actually, one lady kept feeding the coatis at the outdoor buffet, then complained to management when the little guys started jumping on her table! Unbelievable!

Breakfast was really great – so much variety. I still see TripAdvisor reviews where people say there was nothing to eat, or breakfast was “always the same” and I am amazed. Not sure what resort they stayed at. The lady making omelets every day was terrific, and again, very hard-working and always smiling, even though I thought some guests were pretty rude when ordering. Lunch buffet was equally delicious. We loved the grilled grouper this time around and had plenty of it. They also had mahi mahi, salmon, beef, chicken, and burgers (beef, chicken, fish or veggie) all grilled to order. We enjoyed having lunch at Punta Emilia a couple of the days – you can’t beat that view!

We felt that the dinner buffet was okay, hit or miss. Our favorite a-la-cart restaurant this time around was Mare Nostrum, with their Black Pepper Steak being a real winner. We also dined at El Dorado and Ribs & More, but surprisingly the best steak, in our opinion, was at Mare Nostrum.

After dinner we went to Hemingway’s for a night cap (or a few). I always had Baileys on the rocks, and my boyfriend had Grand Marnier. Paula was usually bartending there and she was awesome! Very friendly and funny – great personality. More special shout outs to Rosa (Kantenah cocktail area) and Antonio at the Riviera lobby bar, who made the BEST dirty martinis. We also loved visiting Carlos at the Secret Pool, and Juan at El Rinconcito, who remembered us after 3 years!

We caught some beautiful sunrises this time around - I highly recommend getting up early for the sunrise. We stayed at the very last Mayan Suite, and it was beautiful taking a walk along the entire beach that early in the morning. There was virtually no one around and it felt like we had the whole resort to ourselves. We would end up with cappuccinos and danishes at Punta Emilia for the sunrise. It was paradise.

We spent most of our days at the adult pools or the quiet pool – the activities at the main pools were way too loud for us. One day we went to the spa (when it was still free of charge) and it was really relaxing. We didn’t go on any excursions, though we did go to Playa del Carmen once for a little gift shopping. We took a colectivo – very easy and completely affordable at $3 pp.

We were approached by the Travel Club reps several times while enjoying drinks in the lobby. We found this to be a little annoying, but politely told them that we were not interested every time (even though it was the same people approaching us). No biggie, but want to mention it for those who have not been to the GP before for your awareness.

Also wanted to mention – since we got to stay in two different rooms – that we actually preferred the Junior Suite to the Mayan Suite. Main reason being that, although the Mayan Suite is literally right on the sand, the way the villa is set up there is not much privacy. The stairs lead right to your balcony. The balcony door is the main door to your room, and your bed is directly in front of the door, so if you want any privacy in your room you have to keep your curtains closed. In the Junior Suite (2nd or 3rd floor), you can leave the curtains open all day and let the light in. Just a personal preference.

Of course I’m leaving out a ton of details, because I see how long this review has gotten! Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions! We will definitely be back and keep recommending GP to our friends!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Hera I
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Hera I,

I would like to give you thank you for taking time to share with us your complete review. This information is help for us.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with me if I can help you with anything in the future.

toronto
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed at the Kantenah from Jan 27 to Feb 3, 2014 in a junior suite in building 51 with our 3 children ages 5, 9 and 11.
Check in was painfully slow with only one person doing check in. It took 15 min for the couple in front of us to check in and then 15 min for us to check in. More staff is needed for this process!
Our room was close to the beach, pool and kids club and a perfect location for us. We had requested two double beds with the pull out but ended up with a king bed instead. We arrived at 1am and I was frustrated when we arrived at the room to find the error. We requested a room change which they did arrange the next afternoon but because they couldn't tell us earlier in the day when we could move rooms we decided to keep the room and had already unpacked and just requested a crib which we took the mattress out of and made a bed on the floor for our youngest. It worked out fine but would have been better to just get what we asked for in the first place. The room was clean and well kept, with a lovely view of the gardens.
Both my son and I have issues with gluten and requested the allergen card the next morning at the front desk. Celia, with food services, came to the front desk and explained the program to us and was very helpful in making sure we knew how to get what we needed. Manuel, the captain at the Tikal restaurant in the morning was very helpful all week and had our plate of gluten free breads brought to us each morning without us asking by the end of the week. We were able to preorder pizza for lunch and all of the chefs were very helpful in taking us through the buffets or making us special dishes at the a la cartes. Desserts were limited to crème brulee and gf brownies but they were good. Wish they had gf tortillas and chips too!
We usually ate at the buffets which had a good variety of food. The dinner buffet had a different theme every night and good selections. All of us were able to find things to eat. We ate at the Mexican, mediteranean and Japanese a la cartes (the kids loved the show at the teppanyaki table). The food was good but definitely slower than just going to the buffet. All of the staff works really hard. Yes, you may have to wait for a table but our longest wait was about 10 min partly because we are a family of 5.
Our kids really enjoyed the kids and we were very comfortable leaving them there for parts of the day. The staff was very involved in playing with the kids and providing activities for them.
The beach was lovely, soft cool sand and warm water. I would have liked more shade spots closer to the water so I could watch the kids at the water in some shade but I am just sun sensitive. There was shade further back but not close enough for me to watch the kids.
The pools were great particularly the new kids waterpark area. Nice and shallow and even my 11 year old had a great time on the slides. The main pool had some shallow areas but was generally very deep. There are life guards but certainly not to the level we are used to in Canada and I wasn't comfortable leaving the kids to swim without an adult in the main pool even though they are good swimmers. There is only one pool bar which was generally crowded so it would be nice if they added another one. The beach bar was nearby and the crowds fluctuated there...just tried to go when it was less busy. Great variety of adult and kid cocktails available (and I loved that there was a menu).
The property is beautiful and very large. We enjoyed walking but were glad to be out of stroller days. I imagine it would be difficult to move the strollers along the wooden walkways particularly with the step up and down. We did walk from our room to the spa which took about 15 min with our 9 year old along with us. From our room to the lobby was about 5min. The property is beautifully shaded with lots of trees covering the paths so the sun isn't burning down on you while you walk from here to there. We all loved seeing all of the wildlife although were very disappointed to see people feeding them!
We did not get the late checkout we requested which was disappointing but we left our bags with the concierge and enjoyed our last few hours. We took our passports, cameras etc with us as the bags were just left in a line with other bags for air transat right at the front lobby. Didn't like that and I know the bags were left unattended at times as I went back to get my things for a shower and there was no one there. There is only one shower (one for men, one for women) and they would be better served to create 2 "locker rooms" with several showers and lockers for guests needing to shower and change for flights later in the day. I didn't have a problem but I can see it being an issue.
Overall, we had a great time and would return again.

Room Tip: 5127 was quiet, close to beach, kids club and main pool, nice 'jungle, view.
1 Thank cdmillerToronto
Dear cdmillerToronto,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your opinion.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Have a nice day!!

Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Went for a girls trip 1/29 to 2.2. The hotel and grounds are beautiful. The pool is huge and very nice and the beach is extensive and beautiful and has plenty of chairs. The bar service and food service were average. Bar lines could be crowded and getting reservation in the sit down restaurants was difficult. The spa and workout facility were gorgeous. Bring walking shoes as the grounds are very spread out. Overall a nice place but not for the true foodies.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank tturn00626
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear tturn00626y,

Thank you for your time and for your comments.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us. if we can help you with anything.

Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We just returned from a week at the Kantenah and although my children loved it, it is a great resort for families, we had a few complaints. The first being that the buffets got tiresome, I know it's a resort, they're feeding 800+ people, but having stayed at the Barcello previously, I can say the food at the Barcello was by far better. Secondly, the book-in was painful. We had a number of people get off the bus and they had one girl working the desk to book everyone in, it took about 15 mins a person, it was painful. They know when the buses are coming in and they should have made arrangements to have more staff working the desk for their arrival. The cleanliness of the room was okay, for being a few years old it looked tired, there was either dried vomit or something else splattered on our garbage can lid in the bathroom.. it stayed there all week and we tipped the cleaning staff daily and when checking out, looked under the bed for socks etc. of the kids and saw lots of dust bunnies.

Lastly, and what almost ruined our trip was I took my daughters to the Spa and had braids put in their hair. the day before we left. We were told it would last 2 weeks. and for $110 (plus tip) I expected it to. We woke up the next morning (the day we were leaving) and the beads on my daughters braids had fallen out (6 of them off one side, they had only been in 9 hours) on closer inspection it appeared the fishing line that was used to put them in may have been cut when they clipped the end? I have no idea, she's 6 and was disappointed. We leave for check-out (6:30am for our flight) and the girl at the desk tells me that I owe $110 for the hair. I told her I had no problem paying for the one, but that the other had started to fall out, and I showed her my daughters hair. She made several phone calls, and I have no idea what was said, but I was told they said I had to pay for it, she was sorry, but the Spa said the bill had to be paid in full, no discount nothing and she pushed the bill towards me. I was upset want wrote that I was unhappy, had been told it would last 2 weeks etc. and I signed the bill and left. The next thing we know, security has been called and the guard is asking me why I refused to pay the bill. I told him I had paid, I signed the bill and although I had written I was upset with the service I had signed the bill. I told him I didn't feel I was treated fairly and that I should have gotten some kind of re-imbursement for the poor job on her hair. He said "You were provided a service no?" I said "Yes, a poor one" and he said "Then you have to pay for it regardless" I then told him I had paid, I had signed the bill. He said it wasn't paid. My husband went to deal with them, I also went to the desk and showed my signature on the bill. What it turned out to be was that they don't keep the credit card on file that you have to get for the room, so you need to produce a credit card again. I had not been told that, she pushed the bill at me and said I had to pay it. So like all hotels, I signed the bottom of the bill and then was treated like I was some type of criminal for not wanting to pay for the poor service I had received.

Very frustrated with the way we were treated on leaving and because of that we will not be returning to this resort and I will warn people that although they are wonderful while you are there, when you go to leave, they are very different people. I've never been so humiliated over $55... I wasn't stealing from them, I signed my bill to pay it, and with the language barriers, I'm assuming, they made me feel like a criminal for being upset about poor quality work.... Very disappointing way to end our first family vacation...

14 Thank Snickers9246
Dear Snickers9246,

I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for the situation with the Spa. I will share this information with the Spa Manager and similiar situations don't occur in the future.

Please, I would like that you give to us another oportunity and don't hesitate to contact with me if I can help you with anything.

dtor.colonialkantenah@palladiumhotelgroup.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#78 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!