“Third time at GP!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pennsylvania
“Third time at GP!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

It was our third stay at GP, last two times we stayed at Colonial and this time at Kantenah.We travel as family of five and also this time we were here with two other families. I sent room request e-mail week before our vacation and they were helpful. We all had rooms at same building 50 and got Kantenah even though we booked rooms at Colonial.
CHECK-IN:
Was very fast, informative, no problems at all. Asked for crib, it was delivered to our room right away.
ROOMS:
They did a very good job with renovations. Really liked our room, new colors and decor is awesome! I don't understand why people are complaning about decor.Last year I saw old Kantenah's room and decor was very old and tired.
A/C was blowing all night and was very noisy. A/C menu is in Spanish, so I had a hard time figuring out how to change settings. Later I understood that Baja means LOW and Alta is HIGH. I wish GP could provide some translations in other languages.
Housekeeping service was excellent, never had problems with it. Never got towel art this time, but it's not big deal for us. They were very busy as resort was full.
FOOD:
We all agreed that food was even better this time. A lot of seafood, meats,fresh fruits,etc. Nothing negative about buffet food. Loved Fisherman night at buffet ( lobster stew, grilled prawns to order,etc.) Found service at buffets sometimes excellent, sometimes bad. It all depended on how busy they were.
Resort was full, so after 8 pm. there were lines of people in buffets waiting to be seated, same thing happened in the morning after 9:30 am. Never saw this on previous stays in April and May.
This year we ate at Punta Emilia restaurant where we had an excellent meal, ordered garlic prawns and grilled seafood plate.Our waiter Angel at Punta Emilia was awesome!
We also ate at Brasilian, Ribs and More, and Mare Nostrum, all were very good. Only negative is to say was waiting time for table, in most cases 1-2 hours. It was very hard as we had kids and 1 year old baby. Many times we just couldn't wait this long and went to buffets.
RESORT and BEACH:
It's still very beautiful place, very clean, many different animals,birds everywere. Entertaiment was good, many sports to choose from,you will never be bored if you active person. Beach is still nice, waves were very gentle, which is big plus for little kids, lot of natural shade on the beach, only thing that we did miss were hammacs on the beach. Please, put them back!

NEGATIVES (which I don't think were fault of resort):
1.On our last two days kids in our party got sick, except baby. We blamed it on the pool and overeating. They spend most of their time in the pool and came back home with ear infections.
2. Weather: we had thunderstorms, mostly in evening ( no big deal for us), but last couple days were really cloudy and rainy. Didn't have this on our previous vacations in April and May, nothing you can do, it is rainy season....
3. Mosquitos were eating us alive because of all rain we had. Bring bug spray!

TIPS:
1.Book private transfer if you can, you will be in resort much faster. On our last day they picked up us 3 hours before our flight departure. Last year it was 4 hours with shared transfer.
2. Visit spa, use their free saunas, hot and cold tubs, pool,etc. If you have extra money, book massage here, we did a 50 min. full body relaxing massage for $100. If you on the budget, go to Playa Del Carmen, there are many places that offer massages for $25-40 per hour. For four years in row, we do our massages in place that is next to McDonald's. Its' owner Nahim and Lupita (recommend them) and others massagists do wonderful massages for $30 per hour.
3.Use water sports. Kayaks, catamarans,etc are free. Also, they will rent you for free (you need room card and ID) snorkling kit and you can snorkel at Kantenah or White Sand beach.
4. Visit natural salt water pool
5. Have a boat ride at White Sands.
6. Relax and have a fun! You are on vacation! Try be positive, GP is not high-end resort, but it is very decent place. I visited so called " 5 star" resort before and had an awful experience and now really appreciate everything GP offers to their clients.

CONCLUSION:
Will we back? Yes, if price is right. You cannot beat value GP provides for price we paid. Big plus for us,also, is that GP allows 3 kids in one room (JR.suite). They also v alue repeat customers (free upgrades if available, basket of fruits in rooms, etc.)

Room Tip: We stayed at bld.50, very close to everything. 5 minutes walk to beach or lobby and about 5-7 minute...
7 Thank cocolocopa
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear cocolocopa,

Thank you very much for posting a comment on Tripadvisor. We will take note about your observations and I will share this information with the rest of the team.

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

With best regards,

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
middlesbrough
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Having stayed here last year and loving it we returned again this year. Pleasant flight with tompsons even though we never flew the Dreamliner. As repeat guests we got a wristband upgrade to red. To be honest I don't know if this was to give us more attention but we didn't feel we were treated any better than other guests. Stayed in block 44 Kantenah this time round, much better rooms than colonial, nothing faulted with the room. Weather was fantastic for 2 weeks bar 1 day. We tried all the al a carte restraunts with our faves being ribs and more- steak house and Mexican. Couldn't really fault any they were all great.buffet, you have to be really really really fussy not to find something to your liking, we both could not fault the food. Shows were same as last year, not really our cup of tea but the rock show good. Anyone thinking if going here don't think twice. We both work hard and would not hesitate to return to the palladium. Fantastic hotel in a fantastic place with fantastic people. Wish I was still there !!!

7 Thank tekka84
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear tekka84,

Thank you for share with us your comments. Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Have a nice day!

Montreal
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Went there with my 3 kids and wife.

ROOM: We were in building 49 (room 4909). It was very nice and clean. The bar and the fridge was filled everyday and we had no issues with the room at any time. Bathroom, shower, etc... everythins was good. The only thing is that building 49 is pretty far from where everything is happening (restaurant, beach, lobby, etc...). So, with 3 kids (6, 8 and 10), it wasn't very pleasant to walk that much... Finally, I have to say that the building 49 was very quiet and I only had 1 late evening where I had to ask the people to remain quiet in the stairs (is this just me or do people don't realize they have to remain quiet in the airways and stairs in an hotel!!!).

RESTAURANT: Buffets are great. Food is good and a great variety is offered. "A la carte" restaurant are extremely hard to book! The organisation surrounding those restaurant is awfull. Only 1 person is taking reservation everymorning and even if you arrive 20 minutes in advance, you still have to wait 20-30 minutes before your turn comes! I only tried it once. I arrived 26 minutes in advance and I was 15th in the line. When I got to the reservation cleck, there was no more room for the Japonese restaurant with the show and the Seafood restaurant can't take reservation for more than parties of 5! So I ended up with the BBQ on the beach but as it rained on Wednesday night, it was cancelled. So, get ready to either wait everyday (let's call it waste your time) or to eat the buffet (hopefully, it is good) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have to mention that some nights, they organise "special" food from around the world in the buffet with flags and little attentions... it was sweet and very appropriate. Once, we were sat in a buffet restaurant where the air condition didn't work. My wife ask if there was a problem and we were moved to the other side of the restaurant where everything was fine so... don't be shy and express yourself when there's something wrong...

LOBBY: Lobbies are great and well decorated. Kantenah lobby is very quiet and nothing exciting is happening there. So if you want a quiet environment where the noise doesn't disturb you everyday in your room... pick this one :) I was told that the fun was happening in the Colonial hotel right beside (the 4 Palladium are close to each others and are splitted by 2 groups of 2 hotels). I didn't see even 1 show as the show was happening with my kids that weren't calm and listening... With the restaurants that we didn't manage to reserve (nightmare), we ended up eating late and missing the show every night...

POOL and BEACH: The pool is almost perfect. Big, different depth that will accomodate kids and adults, clean and well located. As for the beach, it is an above average beach that can't compare itself to Cuba or even Tulum not so far of the hotel. There is only a little "zone" where people can swim and have fun but it is enouph for the people that are at the hotel and I have no complaint to make about that. It was a 7/10 to 7.5/10 for me and my kids had a lot of fun. As for the chairs, there was enouph during the first 4 days but it became more difficult to find room as the week past by, especially if you want to be located in front of the zone where you can swim with your family. Everyday (except 1), there were installing a big floating slide and a trempoline and it was fun. The only thing is that they had to place it a bit far from the beach and it was harder for your kids to reach it. As it was further, there was also many stones on the ground and I hurt myself at least 3-4 times when I helped the kids to get on these things... so be carefull. Finally, there's a sea salt pool hidden and located east of the beach where everyone goes. It's worth making the 10 min walk to get there but I don't think people will spend much time there, unless they want to avoid the crowd as it is very quiet. Pay attention to the smell of the water and also note that there are sea fish and unknown beast (lol!!!) around and inside the pool that could have your wife and kids freak about :)

HEALTH: Out of 7 people, 4 got sick and 5 got sun burns. As for the sickness, it's not the one that will make you stay in your room for 3-4 days... Only I did vomit after taking a water sip but for everyone else, we simply had the diarrhoea but weren't sick enouph not to be able to have fun and enjoy our trip. Some reviewers mentionned that it was the pool... I don't know what it is but the result is the same :) At the hotel, they do know about the problem as they provide hand wash stuff before you go to the buffet... I met another father that mentionned to me that 6/6 in their family were sick... so, be carefull as it is a big ratio of sickness! If you can, get prepare before you go and eat probiotic but don't change your mind about the hotel... it still worth the trip and fun to go there.

OVERALL:

High: Great hotel, great ambiance, clean, fun and pool. Location is also great.
Down: Restaurant reservation among the worst I have ever seen.

It is a great family hotel. I recommand it despite these little problems I mentionned.

Room Tip: Try to be located in the building close to the lobby if you are at the Kantenah. It's going to...
2 Thank Montrealtravelers
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Montrealtravelers,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your complete review. We appreciate this information and if you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Have a nice day!

Montville, New Jersey
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have been on plenty of vacations, and have never written a review. I am so aggravated with the way the Grand Palladium handle their dinner reservations that I can't believe not one other person has commented on this. First of all, you can only make reservations one day prior, and you make reservations at ONLY one of the lobbies for all 3 of the restaurants. (Which they say u don't need reservations at any other restaurant...but the wait is usually an hour to an hour and a half.) with that said, the line starts before 7am, and desk doesn't open till 8! My husband was the eighth person online, and we didn't get reservations! Come to find out, if you are a time share person, or even go to a time share stupid seminar....ALL of your dinner reservations for the wk can be booked! Then, the day after we checked in, was the beach BBQ. They never told us at check in we needed reservations or that! By the next morning, that was also booked! I never heard of a resort that you couldn't go to their beach BBQ! That's just ridiculous!! I would never go back here again! The customer service could careless!

3 Thank Dena L
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Dena L,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay in our hotel. For us is important to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations.

Concerning our restaurants a la carte, we have the system “first come first served” with no reservations, to offer more possibilities to our guests, when the restaurant is full we give a pager and we call as soon as a table is liberated, so the costumer is free to be at the bar, lobby or other places until a table is ready. Also the restaurants use to be full just during the peak hour, therefore, most part of the guests go dinner early when there is no wait. We only offer reservations to our BBQ, the fish restaurant and the tepanyaki, always with the aim of offering a better service to our customers.

Thanks again and please do not hesitate to contact us for any further comment or if we can assist in any other way.

Alejandro Martin
Assistant Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

stayed this hotel 8 june till 23rd june
were do i start this is a large hotel consisting of four lobbys dont let this put u off theres trains runnin( on mexico time tho) theres plenty of short cuts once you been there a couple of days you will find these.
this is the cleanest hotel iv ever stayed in from the rooms to the beach never ever found any rubbish or anythin out of place
right i will try to get as much in as poss in a small space
HOTEL BIG, CLEAN,AND FRIENDLY
FOOD TRYED NEARLY ALL THEY AD TO OFFER COULD NOT FOULT ANY OF THEM.
ROOMS BIG ,CLEAN EVEN THERE OWN TOILETRYS AND FULL HAIR DRYERS FRIDGE,COFFE MACHINE.
POOLS THEY CLEANED EVERYDAY ,BEACH OLSO CLEANED
BARS NEVER EVER AD TO WAITE ALL GOOD DRINKS EVEN AT SOME POOL BARS THANKS TO FREDDY IN CHURCHILLS / HEMINGWAYS BAR FOR LOOKING AFTER US .
THE STAFF WERE ALWAYS POLITE AND HELPFULL A CREDIT TO THE HOTEL
we had a room in block 45 at the top never heard any noise only the wildlife which is all round the hotel loved all this u would be sun bathing an u would look up an find all sorts looking at you and they dont come by you this was the best hotel/holiday ever had
few things to look out for mozzie stuff jungle with deet is a big must
allways got sun bed what ever time of day towels provided
right not so nice stuff THOMSON u were not very good in airport were told we would be pestered by people for our cases true then ur rep told them to take ours to the coach grabbed them off we then charged for it very noughty then they put people on wrong coaches this making our transfer time three an half hours with a three hour delay we could av done without it .we pre booked our trip DONT BOTHER with tompson spent four mornings of our hols with rep trying to sort out but THANKS TO LYNSEY GREAT REP at hotel for sorting it out
outside hotel for 35 peso bus into main town, tulum akumal well doin these trips on ur own found it very safe trip to coco bongos very disapointed ok for younger people be awere they will ply u with tequlla an very strong lots of people getting sick we went with thomson for all our trips they were reliable un like the ones sold round the resort wich failed to pick people up
PLEASE READ UR BOOK BEFORE COMMING OUT IT WILL HELP OLSO DONT FORGET YOUR 45 POUND PER PERSON FOR LEAVING MEXICO
hope any of these comments help cannot fit it all in but
MEXICO WAS BRILL CLEAN BIG ROOMS FRIENDLY PEOPLE GOOD FOOD, DRINK EXPENSIVE TOURS BUT GOOD FIND SOMETHING FOR EVEYONE
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE HOTEL FOR OUR ANIVERSARY CARD AND CHAMPAYNE WEN WE GOT THERE AND MY TOWELS SHAPPED LIKE ANIMALS
this hol was like having a hotel in a zoo but all very nice saw some weddings while we were there the church was stunning an the beach photos were olso good

Room Tip: block 45 in the middle top floor was quiet aircon bit noisey just looked over trees largest bed ever
5 Thank blackcountryfoke
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear blackcountryfoke,

I apreciate your complete review. The opinion of our guest it's very important for us and please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

With best regards,

Resident Manage
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I would like to start this review by asking how people found fault with the food at this hotel. We have stayed at various all inclusive resorts in Europe who serve slop masquerading as food.

Anyway back to this hotel and the food. There are various options to choose from, 8 a al carte’s and buffets. The a la carte’s which we went to were very good and also the service we received there was excellent. The buffets had a great selection for breakfast (something for everyone) and a good lunchtime selection too. If you just wanted a snack, there are 2 beach bars which serve the usual burgers, hotdogs etc but would also cook you something fresh too, for example, a steak sandwich which was great for a lunchtime snack instead of having a large lunch. In our opinion, the food at this complex is very good compared to some that we have been to over the last 10 years and even if you are a fussy eater you should find something here to please you. PS. If you love meat then you will love it here especially the Brazilian a la carte.

Forgot to mention the rooms. We were in the Kentanah in block 45 and in just a standard room. We were pleasantly surprised how spacious it was with a queen sized bed (lost hubby in it) and flat screen TV. The fridge was stocked daily with water, beer and soft drinks and they have a coffee percolator which did fine for boiling water to make tea (can't function without our tea first thing in the morning). Hairdryer in bathroom was also great and worked well.

As everyone has said this place is HUGE. There are four hotels which mirror each other. On one side you have the Kantenah and the Colonial and on the other side White Sands and the Riveria and these are where the a la carte’s are, four in each section. If you are like many people who come on their yearly holiday and don’t want to go out anywhere, then this is the place for you as there is so much here to see and do and you can be as active or inactive as you wish. We spent many a happy hour on the beach looking at all the interesting animals and birds that inhabit the area. On another note, we also did the Segway’s at the hotel which was a blast. You also get to see around the hotel complex and helps get your bearings especially the first few days.

We like to get out and about to see a bit of the country we visit and this is very safe and simple at this resort as the bus stop is just outside hotel and are regularly every 10 minutes or so. We opted to go out by local bus to Tulum ruins, only $3 each on the bus and was worth going to see (take swimsuit as there is a small beach there, as you may need to cool off) went into Playa Del Carman, also $3 and did Xel-Ha on our own as just up the road. We saved approximately $30 doing it this way and could stay up until 7pm when park closed which you wouldn’t have been able to do if you were on organised excursion. Xel-Ha is brilliant if you would like to snorkel in a safe, calm environment and is also very safe for the kids too as everyone has to wear lifejackets as mandatory. Whatever you do, don’t forget to go to Akumal Beach and snorkel with the turtles. This was the highlight of our trip and all for the cost of a taxi ride. We met 6 other Brits who were also going and decided to get a taxi there which cost 400 peso’s, a little dearer than the bus but took us directly to beach and between 4 couples not a lot at all. There are supermarkets at the beach (much, much cheaper than shops in hotel) and some beach bars to get a cool beer or have something to eat. There are venders along here who will hire out snorkels for approximately £10 but only for 45 minutes, so my advice would be to bring your own (which we did, bought on ebay) or buy one when you get into the country as time limit is same at hotel and you can see so much more if you have more time on your hands to snorkel. We also did the trips with Thomson to Coba and Contoy Island and thoroughly enjoyed them too.

Back to the hotel. The only small gripe we would have is the entertainment which is more or less the same EVERY night but in a different context. Dancing. Don’t get me wrong, the entertainment team or POP as they like to known are very good dancers but come on, surely they can think up other forms of entertainment, like maybe get other people in or audience participation games. Something? Also they are on a weekly loop so if you are there for 2 weeks, tough. We ended up making our own entertainment in the Colonial Lobby with the house band and other bored Brits out for a laugh. Oh and management, please take note that when you advertise the fire show at the salt water pool please say that it starts at 10.30ish not 9 o’clock as stated as there were many disappointed children who were taken back to their rooms as it was passed their bedtime, who missed the show. We didn’t have kids with us but you could see people leaving as it was getting too late. Minor gripe.

To sum up our holiday, it was fantastic, didn’t get the time to do everything we wanted to so will be back sometime in the near future.

By the way, all your staff are great, please convey that to them as they do a great job.

4 Thank nicandian820
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear nicandian820,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments. I will share this with the rest of ther team.

Sumter, SC
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Beaches, Rooms, Pool, Flora and Fauna are all amazing. It really was the most beautiful resort I have ever stayed in. The staff is extremely helpful but not bubbling with personalities. Of the four areas in this facility, the Kantenah and the Colonial appear to be the best areas. They are closest to the beach and have great pools. We were a family of four with 22 year old and 15 year old children. It really had something for everyone. If I had to find one negative, the food was only average. There were definitely enough choices to get your fill, but nothing was overly tasty. Resort is a good distance from the airport, but really nicely located near Tulum, Playa del Carmen and Xcarat (Xplor). Can't wait to go back!

3 Thank 871LisaJ
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you Lisa J.

It's a pleasure for us to know your opinion about your vacation.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!