“Mexico Time with My Toes in the Sand” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lafayette, IN
“Mexico Time with My Toes in the Sand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We just returned from a week at the GP Kantenah resort. I'll try to hit some of the highlights and give a general overview of the resort as we saw it.

Arrival at 8 am in Cancun: This was our 7th trip into the Cancun airport and we experienced the most amazing thing ever! We were the first plane of the day and so the immigrations and customs hall was completely empty. We were one of the first off of the plane and we literally walk right up to the immigration officer. Our bags came out into customs about the same time that we got through immigrations. Green light and we were heading outside to meet up with AGI. Even the timeshare guys were not set up yet.

Check In: Getting checked in was pretty painless and quick. My daughter and her friend were upgraded to a Jr. Suite and we were put in building 35 of the Mayan Suites. We were given the returning guest “red” wristband, but our daughter who was there for her 2nd stay did not. Not a big deal as we have not noticed any difference in service level given to individuals with the “red” wristband. As a returning guest, we did receive a fruit basket in our room. We later received a bottle of sparkling wine when guest services realized that we had been to their resorts multiple times. We were also told at check-in that we could make 3 reservations for the a la carte (more on this later).

Room: This was our sixth time to a GP resort and our 5th time to this one. We have always stayed in a Mayan suite and we really like the Kantenah side over the other sections. On previous trips we stayed at White Sands and Colonial, but the last three times have been in a Kantenah Mayan suite. The updated rooms are nice, especially the new couch. The bed was better given that they had placed a “memory foam” topper on the mattress. The air-conditioning worked great and the mini-fridge kept the beverages cold. They have replaced the standard shower head in the outdoor shower with a large diameter shower head which is a nice upgrade. Water temp in the evenings was good, but in the mornings it was warm but not hot. Part of this may be the time that we were taking our morning shower. We have a tendency to hit the beach by about 8 am.

Building 35 is the next to last building at the north end of the property and it is located directly behind the Royal Suites designated beach area. The beach and the beach bar are also just steps away making this a very good location for beach lovers. We were given a 2nd floor room on the ocean side. There was a small opening in the trees that allowed for a very restricted view of the ocean, but given the growth of the trees over the years, I do not think that there is a true ocean view room on the Kantenah side. This section of the resort is very quiet and a bit secluded from the main lobby and pool. It is only a short 5+ min. walk to the lobby area if you take the elevated wooden walkway through the mangrove. Again we love this side of the resort because we are beach people and spend most of the day on the beach.

Restaurant Reservation System: As previously stated by others, all of the a la carte restaurants are basically first come-first serve. On two occasions we were told that the wait would approximately a half of an hour, but we were not given a pager. We were given a slip of paper indicating the wait time and we were asked to return within that time frame. We stayed in the reception area and were seated within 15min.

The Seafood restaurant Punta Emilia and the Teppanyaki table at Sumptuori Japanese restaurant required a 24 hour advance reservation to be made at Guest Services. The reservation desk opens at 8 am and there was always a line of people trying to book these two restaurants. Since we were told that as a multiple returning guest that we could make up to 3 advance reservations, I decided to stop by at around 9 am one morning to make reservations for later in the week. The guest Service individual at first told me all the reservations were full. When I tried to explain that it was my understanding that I could make advance reservations, I was asked to provide the letter stating such. We were given a “Welcome Returning Guest” letter that came with our fruit basket but it did not mention our advance reservation options. I politely told her that I would retrieve the letter and would return shortly. Upon my return, she apologized for the misunderstanding and said that she had contacted reception and they told her we were able to make 6 advance reservations and we should have also received a bottle of sparkling wine with our fruit basket. All was rectified and we made reservations for Punta Emilia, Sumptuori and Rib & More.

Restaurants: During our stay we ate at La Adelita (Mexican) twice, and once each at the buffet, Punta Emilia (seafood), Sumptuori (Japanese), Ribs & More (Steak &ribs), and Portofino (Italian). Typically, A.I. restaurant food is served just warm and I do not expect to get a nice hot meal until I return home. I was happily surprised this time that all of our meals were served nice and hot. Also, I consider myself a bit of a “foodie” but I also fully understand that I am not sitting down to a meal at the French Laundry or Alinea’s in Chicago. If you recognize it for what it is, and not expect fine dining you should be able to find something you like.

For lunch we hit the beach bar at the colonial or its buffet up by the pool. The beach bar food was an assortment of fast food Mexican and it was served barely warm. On Sunday they serve Paella for something different. For the most part, we opted for the buffet as you could get items that were fairly fresh and hot and the salad bar is nice an cold.
Bars: The beach bars serve the Mexican beer Sol. In the past they also had a tap for Dos Equis amber but I do not recall seeing anyone ask for one on this trip. The rest of the liquor is pretty standard non-top shelf stuff. The bartenders do a great job keeping up with the flow of patrons and for the most part they are very friendly. In the Kantenah lobby is a bar called Hemmingway’s which has a better selection of top shelf liquors and it is a nice quiet place to have a drink before or after dinner.

Beach: As previously stated, we are beach people and as such will spend all of our time on the beach so I cannot offer an objective review of the pools. The beach at the resort has nice soft sand but it has limited sandy ocean access points as the majority of the water line has rocks and coral. The best swimmable portion of the beach is at the Kantenah end of the resort and the section is somewhat small in size compared to the actual beach area. This causes most people to congregate in this smaller sandy section of the ocean and it can get a bit crowded. The use of a good pair of water shoes however will give you the ability to spread out and take more advantage of the swimming area.

General Stuff: From our experience, the Grand Palladium generally does a great job of maintaining the property. However, over the last couple of trips we have noticed a fair amount of disrepair along the wooden walkways that run through the property. While I am sure there is significant maintenance performed on the walkways over the course of a year, it was seems that there was too much “yellow caution” tape being used and not enough repairs being performed.

I usually dive while on vacation, but this time I decided to forgo the diving and spend the time relaxing on the beach. From my experience, the dive shop does a very good job with both “resort” divers as well as the more experienced ones.

We have thought about trying the Royal Suites section of the resort, but the close proximity to the beach that the Kantenah Mayan suites offer, seems to be a better choice for us.

In closing, The Grand Palladium is a very good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank DC5Rings
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear DC5Rings,

I appreciate your comments and your time. This information is very helpful for improve our service.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future and thank you for your confidence in Grand Palladium.

Have a nice day!!

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and stayed st this resort for our honeymoon (with our year old son). The resort is huge - which is what I was looking for - a lot to do. 1st the kids club was amazing. They treated our son very well and he loved going. 2nd the bar by the black & white club - great pool bar guy!! Our room was only ok. Huge cracks in the floor. The A/C did not work properly at all we called 4 times to get it fixed. The food at the restaurants at night was ok, nice to not worry about reservations - go early and you will get in. Buffet was not good - and service was even worse. We asked a few times for a high chair and they told us just use the stroller my son was in?? Getting drinks at the busier bars was next to impossible. I had a nice man stop one of the bartenders in Spanish and tell him I had been waiting a long time and I should have been served way before others. Mini bar some days weren't filled - and when we called they said someone will be there - never did show.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank Corimarnell
Dear Corimarnell,

We appreciate this information. I would like to offer you our apologies for the incidents that you have had in your vacation and please, if you could give us more information about your reservation because I would like check your room and check the comments about the floor. We revised our rooms every day and we don't have any room with huge cracks in the floor.

Cordially,

Mansfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and three sons, aged 15, 18 & 25 were there for two weeks from 20th Dec to 3rd Jan. Being older we decided to take the boys on honeymoon with us, as they are getting older for traditional family holidays, we decided to make the most of it. We flew with First Choice, flights were good, food slightly better than usual flight food. Our trip was very positive. Check in/Check out - very fast and efficient getting a cocktail whilst checking in was great after a long flight and coach journey. I had done a lot of research before and after booking so knew what to expect (there really is no excuse nowadays not to). Spent a lot of time on trip advisor and the palladium addict website which I would recommend.
The Bell boys were amazing! Delivered to and collected from rooms with a minimum of fuss . We had 2 free room upgrades to Colonial Junior suites. We asked for an upper floor and got a top floor. The mini bar was stocked regularly in one room but missed on a few occasions in our room, though we did not complain about this. To be honest we didn’t drink much out of ours but the boys ransacked the one in their room. I have seen complaints about pillows, but found these fine and yes I am picky. There are a wide range of restaurants, and we tried most We did have issues with getting in some of the al a carte restaurants but this became easier after we complained. The first few days were fine but then the resort was booked up and waits of 3+ hours were usual. My complaint was that there were half empty restaurants but people were being turned away. I know tipping isn’t a big thing in UK but please tip everyone that serves you. Wages are very low and so it is appreciated. My least liked restaurant was the Mexican, the menu was limited and didn’t reflect adequately the range of Mexican cuisine. Service was generally very good. The beach is lovely, getting a sunbed could be difficult here and around the pool but it was Christmas and New Year and the Resort was fully booked! We did, however find some as long as we got there before 8.30 am. The mini adult pools were great, much quieter.
The eco theme to this resort is very special. The iguanas, raccoons, fish and coatis and other animals and birds are a real treat. We loved watching and photographing them. We went to Chichen Itza and Xel-Ha through the tour company, but Tulum, Playa del Carmen and Akumel on our own. Getting about on the Collectivo is safe and easy. We did have one or two issues, the spa bath stopped working in one room and it took several complaints to fix it etc but overall, this is a lovely resort that offers really good value for money. By far their biggest asset is the staff who to a person was cheerful, respectful and helpful. I would very much recommend it. Staff almost always smiled and said Hola! even when just passing you around the resort. Everywhere was clean, staff were constantly cleaning collecting glasses etc. I have never been to one hotel. resort before, but we are planning to go again.

Room Tip: We requested an upper floor to avoid bugs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank netkitten
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you netkitten for taking time to share with us your opinion. This is very important for us.

If we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Have a nice day!!!

Best regards,

Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and two daughters (in their early twenties) have just returned from the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort after we had a wonderful time their last March. We had such a super time previously we wanted to share the experience with the girls and we were not disappointed.
If I had to moan about one thing at the resort it would be the quality of choice of gym equipment. Much of it is old, two pieces of cardio equipment broke and were not replaced in the two weeks we were there and there are not enough treadmills - down to two at the end and neither of them inclined. Most of the spinning bikes were not serviceable. There was never a member of staff trained to help, although the gym itself was spotlessly clean and cleaning staff very evident. Maybe someone has to decide whether to provide a gym at all, and if so, some money needs to be spent to make it the same quality as the rest of the resort. The actual building is quite beautiful.
As for everything else, there are only positive things to say:
Check in/Check out - very fast and efficient. The new touch of a drink ready for you upon arrival was lovely.
Bell boys - amazing!! the bags went to the rooms in no time, they called on the day of departure to arrange collection and there they were, all on time. We also asked them to assist in sorting a taxi to Coba (well worth the trip, it is a wonderful place and the taxi fare was $1700 pesos), which was sorted in no time and the driver, who was with us for 1/2 a day, was super. Also during the stay we were often taken by the bell boys in golf carts to other areas of the resort if the train was not there, which we very much appreciated. A very efficient department.
Room - we were upgraded to a Junior Suite in the Kantenah area which was a nice surprise. The room was very clean and tastefully decorated. The mini bar was stocked regularly and the staff accommodated our request for diet soft drinks with no problem. Some previous reviews have said the pillows aren't great, but we loved them. I also like the venue of these rooms, (block 49) they are very near to the beach and are quiet. Some of the more expensive ones are very close to the large pool, it is nice to have variety but if you want a quieter time the Kantenah is better.
Bars - there is a wide variety of bars to choose from both day and night. If you want a quiet drink those near the two swimming pools tended to be quieter than the lobby bars in the evening. The Hemingway is great for a game of cards. The Colonial lobby has a super female singer on Tues/Wed and Thurs evenings, she is worth seeing. Tipping always causes some angst for Brits, at no point have we ever been made to feel this is expected. but we make sure we take a good stock of $1 dollar bills for the bars when drinks are got for us and it is always appreciated. The drive to Coba left us in no doubt that for the Mayans, a small tip goes a long way.
Restaurants - we had to do a family vote to decide where to eat on the last few evenings as we loved all the restaurants and on both trips did not have a bad meal, very impressive! My least favourite was the Brazilian because I am not a big meat eater. The beach restaurant was a lovely experience as the eating area is beautiful as well as the food being amazing. We also had a really nice waitress who made it for us. We went to the Buffet restaurants for breakfast and the Mexican themed evening and again, had a really great meal. We all had our favourites, and the Italian got the vote for the last meal of the holiday. There have been comments about the booking system. We have found it much better than another hotel in the Caribbean where you have to phone each morning to make a booking. The beach restaurant needs to be booked up front but for all the other a la carte restaurants just go in and ask, if there is a wait you get a buzzer to alert you when your table is ready. The longest wait we had was 1.5 hrs, but that was unusual.
Beach - there is a small area of coral on the beach in the middle, but there is lovely sand around this and to either side. There are plenty of sun beds, bars and quiet areas for you to have a real choice. The walk either side of the main beach is worth doing to, lovely sand to the left and coral rock pools to the right.
Wildlife - the eco theme to this resort is very special. The iguanas, raccoons, fish and coatis all make their presence visible without causing concern and the boardwalks throughout the resort are a complete delight, you never know what you are going to see.
We went to Coba and Tulum, both very much worth the trip, the latter we used the Collectivo there and back which was prompt and comfortable. Prices for trips can be found in the lobbys so you know what you should be paying, and we had no problem with being asked for more. If you fancy some history they would be worth seeing and are easy enough to sort yourself. We went to Akumal on the previous trip, it is just down the road and is a super beach with regular turtle sightings. Just don't eat ice cream at Akumal, we lost 2 days to a dodgy ice cream sundae last time!!
Overall, this is a lovely resort that offers really good value for money. By far their biggest asset is the staff who to a person was cheerful, respectful and helpful. I would very much recommend it.

Room Tip: Kantenah area is quiet, close to the beach, and the rooms have had a recent makeover. Top floor give...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank 660Traveller
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear 660Traveller,

Thank you for your good comments and for your observations. I will take note and I will see this with our Spa Manager.

I will share your opinion with the rest of the team.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

With best regards,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Just spent a week at the Kentenah March 20 to 27 and I have no complaints. My sister and I shared a junior suite and they had been renovated. The food was very good and fresh. Lots of variety. The a la carte restaurants were also very good. If you went early, before 7, there was no waiting. The staff was friendly and polite.
I would recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: If you like the beach then the junior suites are closer to the water or the Mayan suites although mo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Louise L
Dea Louise L,

We appreciate your excellent comments. Thank you.

Best regards,

Selby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We travelled as a couple to this wonderful hotel in September last year and had an incredible holiday. It was the first time we had gone all inclusive so the unlimited al la carte meals were a big plus. Everything was perfect and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the whole experience so much we have already booked to back again in September this year so looking forward to seeing everyone again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swyo8
Dera Steven W,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments.

With best regards,

Cape Breton Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our group of 5 stayed in Kantenah on March 16/23rd..
Flight to Mexico went fine,this was my husband's first trip to mexico so I was glad all went smoothly.After about an 1hr & 15min. drive to the resort,check-in was a breeze we were greeted by Yvonne,To our suprise we were givin the myan suite with outdoor shower..I emailed the resort 6days priour to request an up grade as we were returns to Palladium and received a reply that they would take notice of our request,we sure didn't expect a suite so a BIG THANKYOU!!!! to guest service..
we arrived really late and was starved & thirsty lol so off to the beach grill for a cold one,even in the dark we found our way no problem,as we sat and had some beer we began to eat this was the only turn off we had the whole week,the food was great but at least 10 recoons came out of the bushed these things can get very aggressive,we tried to ignore them but one came right up jumpinn on my husband needless to say we all jumped up in seconds they were all over the table so they literly drove us out..we didn't visit that area again all week,we dont mind wild animals but when their aggressive like they were it kinda feaked us out,we couldn't beleive the amount of ppl that are feeding these animals this is clearly making the problem worse, for some reason ppl think it's cute untill someone gets bit..we did hear a young girl was bit that week:(
Back to the room..it was beautiful we really enjoyed the out door shower,at first i was a little uncomfortable but after the first shower outside it was heaven,the air worked awesome while in the room,the fridge could have been colder but we still drank what was in it lol..the bed for us was really hard along with the pillows but we still managed to have good sleeps a few glasses of wine made it easier,lots of towells,coffee & fridge well stocked every day:)
The main pool where we stayed all week was great never had to search for loungers,entertainment was good and music ok,the water was really deep kinda hard to swim with a drink,maybe they planned it this way so ppl wouldn't hang around the pool bar..didn't bother us as we used the beach bar for drinks..we only did the beach 1 day and it was really windy we are not beach ppl so we went back to the pool.
We ate at the beach buffett one day it was ok with burgers,nugets,fries,hotdogs etc.
we only did breakfast twice in the buffet and it was delish,most days we just had our coffee and waited for lunch,buffett near the main pool was great lots to choose from..
The A-l carte's were awesome well the few we did,the eldorado was fabulous the steak there was so good and the waiter was great,Rib's & More was excellent so much food and again the waiter was great and steak so good:)we tried the japenese and couldn't get a show table but ate at a side table the food was good the wonton soup was delish and waiter great..
The buffet at the colonial was the best of them all IMO,we did the white sands buffet and was really disappointant i ended up really sick for 2 days after haveing dinner here but can't really pin point but it wasn't a hangover it was deff.some kind of gastrol,the stomach cramps were so bad thankgod it passed..i will say though that the steamers in the buffets were very very hot almost got burned a few times..better then seeing lukewarm.
The spa was awesome my husband and I enjoyed massages,facials and body wraps all were fantastic,wish we had time to enjoy the rest of the spa as it looked so relaxing maybe next time..
The gift shops have lots to offer but kinda pricey,we did our shopping at playa del carmen..I did buy a pack of cigs @9$us a pack..
Every night we would meet in the colonial lobby this is where most of the ppl seem to go before & after the shows,they would have a live band there each night we loved loved loved it..
2 of the bands were awesome,lots of ppl danceing:)
We only stayed 1 week and didn't see a 3rd of this resort it is so big,we wished we were staying 2 weeks to see everything,there is always something to do and see at this resort so if your wondering if you'd get board,not likely!
Last but not least,SERVICE! This is the first resort and we have been traveling every year since 98 to different resorts,we couldn't get over the SERVICE! It was awesome everywhere we went,from the front desk to all the bars we didn't have a drink finished and they were over with refrills,the colonial lobby was the best,hats off to Rosa you gave us the best service on our last night we had so much fun...we are already planning our trip back to Mexico my husband is hooked hehehehehe
Thanks Grand Palladium from the Sampson's

Room Tip: Myan Suites are amazing,the outdoor shower was the best,building 33 is right by a path to the beach...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank just4meNorthside
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear just4meNorthside,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, thank you for your good comments.

Have a nice day!!