“What's another word for "paradise"”

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Esterhazy, Canada
“What's another word for "paradise"”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is the third time I have been to an "all inclusive". This is hands down the best. My fiancé, myself, and several friends stayed here from January 19 to February 2, 2013. We travelled on Transat Holidays. The majority of our group had been here previously (some 3 times). They said it was a wonderful place and they were right! It is just about an hour and 15 minutes from the airport in Cancun. The service was incredible. We were treated wonderfully from the moment we stepped foot onto the property. Everyone from the housekeeping staff to the front desk staff were helpful, friendly and polite. The Kantenah is the older part of the resort but that just makes the surroundings more mature. We had a standard room with a nice little balcony. The room had a king size bed and big sliding glass doors out onto the balcony. The room was cleaned well everyday and our bar fridge was well stocked with beer, water, and Fanta! Some of our group didn't get much "towel art" but we were lucky and got something new everyday. Nice little touch and surprise.

The food was very good. Definitely do the Steak a la carte for dinner . The buffets were always well stocked and lots of variety. If you can't find something to eat here, you must be the pickiest eater on the planet! You will find food and drink 24/7. We even had a couple of rainy days but we spent time watching the shows at the Colonial, sitting in the lobby with the free wifi, and drinking Brandy Alexanders, Coco Loco's, and coffee with Baileys. It was a wonderful spot to spend 2 weeks and I am definitely looking forward to going back again.

Room Tip: If you can get building 46 or 47 they tend to be more central. The walk to the beach, pool, lobby...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank miaCB
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear miaCB,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your time and your comments.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you ever get the opportunity to stay at this place don't hesitate book it at once.

We have just returned from two weeks staying at Grand Palladium Kantenah and we had the most wonderful time. We went with First Choice (Thomson Group) and on arrival at check in we were upgraded to a junior suite which was a great start to our stay. Check in itself was very smooth. The Kantenah is the cheapest of the four resorts (Colonial, White Sands and Riviera being the others) but you are allowed to use all the facilities of all four. Whilst the total resort is massive it never feels that way and getting about is easy with the train and buggies. We walked everywhere most of the time anyway.

The place is spotless and we lost count of the number of maitenance staff (gardeners/painters etc.) we saw. Our room was very comforatable with two double beds and cleaned to a high standard every day. The grounds are lovely and well preserved but one word of warning because of the nature of the resort (built in the jungle) you won't have much of a view of anything apart from the trees. Also you will meet iguanas by the dozen along with raccoons and agouti.

The food in the resort is truly wonderful. We ate in all the eight a la carte restaurants without any problem and without having to book - we just turned up at the door and either got seated straight away or were given a bleeper - the longest we waiited was 30-45 minutes. The other a la carte restaurant (Punta Emilia - the fish restaurant on the beach) had to be booked the day before which we did again without problem. I cannot understand others comments about having to queue at 7:00 in the morning to get a table. As there were just the two of us that might be easier and possibly bigger groups might have a problem (although we were joined by friends we had made and were a four and even a six on a couple of occasions but again got into the restaurants we wanted easily just by turning up). The buffet restaurants are just brilliant for breakfasts and lunches and have themed nights for dinner and the choice of food is staggering, I would not imagine anybody having any difficulty finding something that tickled their fancy.

With a choice of 21 bars to have a drink we were spoilt for choice and I think we tried them all - our particular favourites were Hemingway, Kantenha lobby and the swim up bar off of El Gran Kazul which is in the sun all day.

The two adult pools are well worth a visit if you want to get away from the hubbub of main pool activities but you need to get there fairly early to get a sunbed. The spa area is an exceptionally lovely spot but again get there early for a bed.

Overall the staff are very friendly and accomodating. We were invited to "an introduction to Club Palladium" which was billed as a 90 minute introduction to the benefits of Club Palladium with breakfast in El Jardin (part of the Royal Suites Yucatan) but we guessed was a time share offer or something similar so we declined and that was that we weren't bothered again. We did meet some who went and took advantage of their free 1000 Peso voucher during the week.

We left the resort on three occasions - once on a First Choice organised trip to Chichen Itza (very worthwhile) and twice where we took the Collectivo to Akumal and Tulum whch was very easy.

I would definitely recommend this resort to my friends and would easily go back there.

7 Thank Calum_McInnes
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Calum_McInnes,

I am glad to know that you have had a great time with us in Grand Palladium. Thank you for your excellent comments.

If we can help you in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2013

It's our 4th time in Mexico, twice in Cancun and twice in Riviera Maya. This resort is the best we have been to so far. We stayed in a Mayan Suite and loved it especially the outdoor shower was wonderful. We were steps away from the beach and the beach bar being in the 36 section. It is also the nicest section of the beach. Located at the end of the resort it's a bit of a walk to get the the lobbys and restaurants but we enjoyed the exercice and at night when we were tired we took the villa carts to return to our room.

The food was good at the buffet but the thing that bugged us was that they do not keep their steam tables hot enough thus the food was warm to sometimes cold so we kept ordering from the chefs that prepare food like omelets and paninis. The food at the restaurants a la carte was not great as they overcook it especially fish dishes. They need to to boil or bake foods instead of putting everything on the grill!

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The beach barman was great and the bell boys offered on many occasions to give us a ride back to our room which was greatly appreciated being located so far.

The main pool is a bit too deep 5 feet 3 inches or 1.6 meters so we had to tip toe through it. It also explains why there was so little people in it. It does have a small section less deep where most of the people would hang out and play. What a waste for such a big pool.

All the lobbys offer free internet but the speed is slow and when there are too many people it almost stalls. If you want faster internet you have to pay for it but at the same time you have it in your room.

Overall it is a great resort, very clean and very beautiful. We stayed last year at the Grand Sirenis which is next to it and prefered the Grand Palladium.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Mayan Suite it is worth it. This section has only two floors and having only king bed...
7 Thank Montreal603
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Montreal603,

It's a pleasure for me and for the rest of the team know your opinion about your vacation. We appreciate your time and your good comments.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have just arrived back from 2 weeks in this fantastic hotel, everything about it is amazing. Its spotless clean, the 8 A la Carte restaurants are exceptional, the buffet restaurants are the best I've ever tried, you have 24hr food, drink and service. We travelled with First Choice and their rep is Jason, nothing was too much trouble for him. We booked to go to Coco Bongo in Playa del Carmen and Jason gave us great advice to get the best from our visit, we arrived back at the hotel at 3.30am from this night out and the amount of staff that we saw going about their duties was unbelievable, they never stop cleaning. No one that we spoke to had a negative word to say about their holiday. We had a free upgrade to a junior suit which was a great surprise. I slept like a baby every night, we were in block 50, but to be honest I don't think you would be disturbed which ever block you were in. The hotel has been built into the Rain Forest and its amazing how well it blends with the flora and fauna, we saw all sorts of critters including Turtles, yes we saw 2 Turtles in the hotel grounds. In short all 4 of us said it was the best holiday we've ever had, I could go on for ever but I couldn't do it justice enough.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Gill S
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Gill S,

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your time and I am glad to know that you have had a great vacation with us.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Grand Paladium Kantanah has to be one of the most acommadating hotels I have ever been to...From the time we arrived to the time we left .....
We were stunned by the beauty and cleanliness of the public areas like the pools, the restaurants and buffets and were treated like gold....
We went to 3 of the a la cartes. The Mexican, The Mediterraean and The Chinese, they were all splendid and we went back to the Mediteranean twice...Jose' our waiter was a delight....Thank you Jose'...
The grounds were a joy to walk through and the walkways were well maintained...
There was always some where to go....and new to see between the other three hotels all having their own Identification....
Our room was beautiful sparkling clean..we chose a Mayan Suite and we will be requesting the same room when we return...Nice private balcony with a huge hammock, table and chairs....
It was like being in the jungle....the birds this paid us a daily visit and like most of the wildlife was fun to watch....
Thanks to all the staff at the GP Kantaneh we had a wonderful time...next year 2 weeks...!

6 Thank 27alex
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you 27alex.

I appreciate your time and your good comments. If we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Staffordshire
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had our honeymoon here in January and had a wonderful time. I fully researched the hotel before booking and it absolutely lived up to my expectations.

We had requested a high floor in the Kantenah section but on arriving we were on the ground floor in the Colonial. We requested a room change but the hotel was full but 4 days later we were moved to the top floor in the Kantenah which was perfect.

The room was a little dated in the Colonial but still perfectly clean and comfortable. It was lovely in the Kantenah and as we were honeymooners we were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was great. We also received a bottle of Tequila and a fruit basket on our first night. Our maid was excellent, always willing to accommodate and made us lovely towel art. The man that fills the fridge was also helpful and would leave what you requested as my husband likes the Miranda orange drink. We tipped them both well and it was totally deserved.

I am a vegetarian and a very fussy one at that but I only had two occasions during the stay that I felt I didn't have a satisfactory meal. There was an abundance of choice at breakfast. My favourite were the days when they served banana bread. There was a champagne counter at breakfast although our tastes don't run to alcohol in the morning so we were more likely to have a smoothie or a hot chocolate! At lunchtime we mainly ate in the buffets by the pools where you can sit outside. The food here was good with a fair level of choice and there is always a salad bar. We did try the beach grill however we both found the food, even when freshly ordered, to be cold and really small portions so we did not eat there again. However they must be doing something right as they were very busy there.

We mainly ate dinner in the main Colonial buffet as we found this to be the best. If offered lots of choice, for the main part was usually hot - although not always - and had a very good salad bar. All the al a cartes have a vegetarian menu if you ask but we only tried the Italian and we both found this very poor. I had ravioli with arrabiata sauce and the sauce was very hot but with no flavour and my husband had a prawn dish but it didn't really come with anything with it. The desserts were also not very good. We both found the main Colonial buffet a much better option.

I have read some reviews saying the service in the buffets is poor and that sometimes you don't get offered drinks. I think this is unfair. Sometimes it was quicker than other times and sometimes we needed to prompt but on the whole I thought the service was good and lets face it, it won't kill you to get up and ask for something.

I did get a stomach bug 2 days before coming home but this is not the hotels fault I am very sensitive and get a stomach upset whenever I am in the Caribbean or similar destination.

Plenty of bars serving cocktails and branded drinks. We tried many of the cocktails some good some not so but that is personal taste as we don't like overly sweet drinks. We mainly stuck to branded drinks and were very happy with these.

The resort is large and many reviews have complained about this. We loved the fact that it was so big and didn't feel cramped. We did a lot of walking - and it is possible to walk everywhere - but on occasion we caught the train or the golf carts if we were tired or feeling lazy.

We mainly used the adult pools or the Kantenah end of the beach and both were great. The only niggle being we were unable to take pedaloes out into the sea as it was very breezy but this is a safety issue so we can't really complain.

All in all we had a lovely holiday and my husband said it is somewhere he would return to which is a minor miracle as he doesn't like all inclusives and this is the first hotel he has ever said that about. I think we would be tempted to try the Grand Palladium in Jamaica at some point in the future.

4 Thank regengirl
Dear regengirl,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for share with us your comments. This information is motivation for us...

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We travelled to the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa in September 2012 booked through Thomsom. On arrival we were met by the rep and directed to the coach. Transfer time was around an hour and 15. At the hotel we were met by the bell boys who dealt with our luggage while we completed check in. Check in was smooth, efficient and friendly and we were given a fruit cocktail to drink while we filled out the relevent paperwork. We then boarded one of the golf buggy style trains and were taken to our rooms. We were situated in the colonial part of the hotel in ground floor rooms. The hotel is a huge sprawling complex set in the middle of dense vegitation. Due to the jungle surroundings the rooms can be a little dark and i would recommend requesting a room on a higher floor. The rooms themselves were clean and comfortable perhaps a little dated but very nice all the same. The lush grounds are very pleasant and wildlife is abbundant, racoons, coatis, agoutis, lizzards and a variety of tropical birds wander the grounds freely. If you look a little closer you will also find spiders and snakes. With this comes the mosquitos so bare this in mind and pack some heavy duty insect repellant. I personally wouldnt bother with the insect repellant wrist bands we all bought one and other than making our wrists smell we all agreed they did very little else! As mentioned previously the hotel is a huge sprawling complex but easily walkable and if you're unable or too lazy to walk(we generally witnessed the later) there are frequent trains to transport you around the grounds. Over all food was very good, the usual buffet style breakfast, lunch was served in several buffet restuarants but also at the cafe on the beach which was basic fare but generally nice and if nothing else worth it for the view! Evening meals were a choice of buffet or a la carte. We tried all the A la cartes our favourite was the mexican but they were all generally good. The hotel opperates a beeper system for the restaurants, you turn up, they tell you how long for a table, you say yes or no, they give you a beeper and you're free to wander off until your table is ready. Only once did we wait longer than an hour for a table, generally it took about 15-30 mins max even when we were told it could be over an hour. All bars including restaurants had a wide variety of drinks including many name brands. Pools large and clean. The beach is beautiful,yes the sea is rocky in places and yes there can be some sea weed depending on weather but thats how its supposed to be its the sea! Staff are all very friendly and generally have a good level of english. As always the staff are worked to within an inch of their lives, for very little wages so we can have a nice holiday so please if you recieve good serivice leave a tip! My only minor gripe with the hotel was that on one week end it was Mexican independence day and the hotel was overun! Queues for restaurants,bars and the pools looked like a scene from spring break! I have no probelm with a busy hotel but for that wk end the staff did seem to struggle? Not enough staff perhaps as it was the low season,who knows? Thankfully after the wk end normal service resumed. Would I go again?For the right price yes. All said and done we had a very nice holiday in a counrty that has become one of my favourite destinations.

Room Tip: Go for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank firemansam0
Dear firemansam0,

We appreciate that you have taken a time for share with us your comments about your vacation. The opinion of our guest it's very important.

Best regards,

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!