“Best All-inclusive resort ever !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Westvleteren, Belgium
“Best All-inclusive resort ever !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

We just got back from a 17-days lovely experience in this beautiful resort.
We emailed about 10 days before arrival and had a room according to our request in block 51, we even got an upgrade due to our third visit in a Palladium hotel. Thanks for that !

The grounds are very nice, lots of animals and jungle. It is big, but once you know your way, you can use a lot of short cuts to get anywhere. The beach is lovely and not so crowded as in Punta Cana.

The room was spacious, nicely decorated and well kept, only the bathroom was a little small and in need of renewal. We sometimes had a smell in the bathroom.

As we are both chef and have been to a lot of all-inclusive resorts around the world, we do not understand the complaints about the food in the different buffets or restaurants ! Everything was very good to exceptional, lots of choice and if you have to wait a long time to get in the a la carte restaurant then just try another one, you have about eight or more !
It's better than to have to make reservations in the morning, which takes a lot of time also ! And you can eat 24 hours a day, no complaints there.

The quality of the drinks and coctails was very good as well. Very good bartenders ! Good premium drinks in both Churchill and Hemingway bars.

We were very happy with the hard working and friendly staff as well !

A pity about the Travelclub indeed, they are to insistent. They clame if you join them you get the best rooms, which we hope isn't true, because that would be a discrimination to all of the other clients !

Anyway, for us it was the best all-inclusive resort ever and we are planning to go back around Christmas.

Thank you for a lovely holiday.

7 Thank MADESYHO
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear MARIJKE H,

Thank you for your comments and thank you for your time. The opinion of our guest is very important for us.

Condially,

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed at the Kantenah from Jan 28-Feb 5 this year and were impressed by almost everything at the resort. First off, it is huge which for us was a bonus as it got us walking (and getting lost) a great deal of the day which helped balance off the number of calories being consumed! The grounds are beautiful, very natural and jungly with boardwalks throughout - felt like we were in the Swiss Family Robinson book although beware, the walkways and the tiles throughout the resort are slippery when wet, which they were a great deal of the time due to the amount of rain we experienced.
The pools, both the smaller more private ones and the large ones are all beautiful although very few people using them - just too cold! Occasionally a few brave souls played water volleyball but most people were hanging around the pool and it was never too difficult getting a lounger.
Our room was adequate - nothing fancy but was quite large and clean. However, I was disappointed with the bed - had asked for a king but got two doubles. The pillows are very poor and they offer a pillow menu for upgrading! Hello? Why not just have decent pillows to start with?
The food at the buffets was fine - there was lots and you'd have to be really picky not to find things to eat - not spectacular, but decent. The a la carte restaurants were fun to go to although we had to wait up to 1 1/2 hours each time, but I think if we had gone earlier it wouldn't have been a problem. All the a la cartes were fine, again, not spectacular (ie: the ribs at the ribs place were tough, the steaks at the steak place were overcooked) but fine. While we waited for our reservation, we would go to one of the lobby bars which are quite magnificent and huge and each one has a unique flavour. We were able to access the internet there and relax with a drink before dinner. Unfortunately, I did get sick on the 5th day we were there, I think from the beach bar food. When I told the front desk person, she seemed pretty uninterested and suggested I use the kiosk in the lobby which is used for guest responses.
We loved the spa with its little infinity pool and hots tubs, a zen like building and a really enjoyable way to spend a cloudy afternoon.
We found the staff very nice with lots of "holas" and smiles and no one seemed over the top pushy or rude even the vendors and timeshare people.
All in all, I would recommend this resort for its natural beauty, lovely beach and beautiful grounds.

2 Thank Janet R
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2012
Dear jambie1024,

Thank you for taking time to give us your comments about your vacation. I would like to comment that the pillows menu are special pillows, for example, cervical pillows..This is a extra service with extra charge.

Regarding the sick problems, I would like to comment that no necessarily it's because of the food, it's possible for the change of the weather, water, sun..etc etc, may affect.

We working every day in our procedures in our Food & Beverages departament.

I will take note about your comment and I will analize this with our executive chef.

Milton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

As a experienced traveller who travelled many times to the Caribbean and Europe, I believe that this review is a fair and good picture from this Resort. I have travelled this time with my wife and our two children 5 and 2 years of age.

I will brake the review down into sections so it is easy to read and understand all the points of this Hotel. But first I want to say that this Hotel is not bad it has its awesome side but also some room for improvement. We were upgraded to a junior suite at no charge and placed in a villa close to the beach and also not very far from the restaurants just as we asked for in our e-mail before the travel, we are thank full for a great coordination and helpfulness from the Hotel management. They have really looked after us.

Resort grounds:

It is big.... in total 4 resorts in one: Kantenah, Colonial, Riviera and White Sand.
All 4 resorts including restaurants, cafes, pools, etc. can be used with few restrictions. If you travel with children you will not be able to use all the pools because it is reserved for adults only, but not a big thing, that was OK for us. Other restriction that we noticed is the "Royal" side,(I will post the picture) Royal side has nice bad's on the beach that are available to Royal suites only... again not a big negative point but it is a restriction.
If you can find a top view or map from resort it looks like 2 big buildings Kantenah/Colonial and Riviera/White Sand , but don't think it is all one. All Lobby's are separate, open concept and look like four big Haciendas, quite nice but nothing to fancy.
One big thing is *** It is in the middle of a jungle *** if you like to be in the jungle this Hotel is definitely for you, you will be able to see many variety of Mexican jungle flora and fauna, it is nice but not really a nice setting if you are used to dress nicely for a night out, it is not high heel friendly nor will you feel dressed accordingly to walk true the woods in your nice clothing, that was a minus point for us. Dress pants, skirts and long sleeve shirts stayed in the room. But in general everything is maintained very well ant it is clean. Kantenah side is mostly wooded area, Clonial, Riviera and White sand had more groomed places around the villas.

Villas/rooms:

Your Villa/room will be in the jungle! No ocean view no garden view just trees, but if you book a "Royal suite" they are located directly on the beach and you can have a beach/ocean view. The Rooms are clean, comfortable and no bugs, a little dated but it is a standard and usual room setting in Mexico and in the Caribbean in general, ironing board, iron, mini bar, TV, full bathroom and if you book Junior suite you will have a couch including two chairs and a table. Our Villa was # 51 and it was next to the Royal suites almost directly on the beach that was awesome! Have to say that none of the Villas are too far from the beach or the restaurants. From the google satellite it looked quite far from each other but it is not, there are paved or wooden path ways all over to cross true the woods from villas to the beach or restaurants plus the carts that will drive you to any spot you wish.

Pools/Beach:

This is where this resort truly shines! The pools are awesome, huge, clean, lots of chairs and spots to chose from, you will definitely love it! Also if you are up to a challenge and like to show off , many activities are waiting for you, the resort has so many things to offer for you. No one will be bored that is given! The Beach is amazing, white sand all over the place, a real paradise! It reminds me of Varadero, great, great beach, very clean, no bugs/sand flees, lots of chairs and many many spots to chose from, shady or sunny areas including great hammock's for a top relaxation. Water is clean and warm and really nice for snorkellers like my self. My grade for the beach and the pools would be A++++!

Restaurants/food:

Now this I have left for the end because it is a really minus point and our disappointment from this Resort. Let me tell you this, if you love to eat pork al the time this will be paradise for you, but if you are vegetarian or don't like to eat fatty pork or just don't eat pork products at all than you will be disappointed like we where! Pork.pork,pork,pork,pork......for the breakfast sausages and bacon galore! I was steaming because even the stuff that is not pork like fried cheese was of bacon taste because the guys from the restaurant think it is ok to fry bacon and than everything else in it! Not nice cooks of palladium this is not OK. Lunch same thing, pork galore, thankfully fish was there for rescue, fish was good but very blend no special spices just usual plane. One day I noticed roticery (kebab/swarma) and my eyes grew wide only to discover that it was pork again (go figure)- who makes pork kebab/swarma anywhere?
To sum it up the buffets in all 4 resorts where really disappointing, plenty of food but everything that we ate tasted really flat and average. The good thing was no one got sick, all the restaurants are air conditioned and the food did not spoil. Now the good thing was great A'la Carte restaurants, that was really good, no reservation needed! Food is way better than the poor buffets, prepared just right. Japanese restaurant was quite good-the sushi was amasing, Mediterranean was good too but the best was Steak house, it can definitely be compared to good steak houses across Europe or North America, from fillet Mignon to rib eye
the choice and taste was awesome. The Palladium did great here!

But please, please, Palladium People do something about that Pork, there is way to much of it, I know it is cheap but remove some of it from the menus or at least don't spoil other food by cooking with it! This food is one of the biggest things at any resort, we can only eat the food you prepare.

Sum up:

I hope I was not to negative, yes the food was not great (beside a'la carte) but the rest was quite good, rooms,grounds,beach,pools, nightly entertainment ( don't miss it especially Rock forever, the dancers and choreography were amazing, great job People of Palladium !!!!), the staff was friendly and management will try to help you at least, all together it was good vacation, we had fun. Improve the food and we will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Armantraveling
Dear Armantraveling,

Thank you for taking time to give us your comments about your vacation in Grand Palladium. I will take note about your comments and I will share it them with our team.

I would like to say you that, we have different menús every day and not only we have pork. We have beef, chicken, lamb, duck, turkey, fish (salmon, mere, mahi mahi, etc). We have differents options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We have a vegetarian menú in each a la carte restaurant and differents options in our buffets.

I will share your comments with our Executive chef and Food & Beverages Manager.

Sincerelly,

Brantford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

We arrived on February 5 for a week and there were 41 in our group. At first the resort is a bit overwhelming due to it's size. Also it is hard to locate landmarks due to the jungle BUT by the second day with help from the map provided at check-in and the maps located throughout the resort it wasn't so intimidating. We really enjoyed the wildlife including the iguanas that insisted fighting with each other under my lounger every day. The rooms are not fancy but they are a decent size, clean and have everything you need for your holiday. I loved the fact that you didn't have to stand in line at 7 a.m. to book the a la carte restaurants. We never had to wait to be seated, however, we were usually there by 6 p.m. The food at the buffet is typical, but the restaurants were outstanding. Our favourite was the Brazilian and the Steak House. There are lots of shuttles driving around and they will pick you up if you wave at them and the "train" runs about every 10 minutes. The service was good and we left a decent tip for the chamber maids and waiters even though they never hovered waiting for one. Every time I left a note for the chamber maid requesting something, it was there when we returned at the end of the day. The pool is massive and you can always find a bit of privacy around it instead of sitting with the larger groups. The grounds are extremely clean as is the beach. I would certianly not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone that asked.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 44 on the 2nd floor. If I was to return the location of the building was quit...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janet P
Dear Janet P,

Thank you for your comments and thank you for your time. All comments are very important for us.

Cordially,

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Stayed at GP Kantenah for the second time in October. Booked a taxi transfer which we felt was good value and a much more relaxed way to travel. We had requested a room in the same block as before, but Given completely different block. We did ask at check in, but request totally ignored as all they seemed to want to do was sign us up to their Palladium Club. This was to be a feature of our stay - we were approached by various staff throughout the fortnight which became quite tedious after a while. Food was still reasonable and we like the hotel and most of the staff (many of which had worked there last year so nice to see them again) but wouldn't dash back as feel standards generally have slipped with the focus more on selling. That said it's still a nice hotel in beautiful grounds. Pool area is lovely with lots of room to relax and the beach is nice. We went on a trip to Chichen Itza with Flavio Tours - this was excellent. If you want to go on a trip while you are there I would highly recommend Flavio who looked after us brilliantly.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Jabroc
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dear Jabroc,

Thank you for your comments. I will take note and I will analize this with our team.

Please, if you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

This resort is in hour of private ride from the Cancun airport. The resort is spacious and green. It is surrounded by mangrove jungles crossed by wooden bridge walkways. The grounds are clean and nicely kept. Walking around is an adventure. We found a cave with underground water somewhere in the Riviera part. It is not shown on the resort maps, but fun to visit. So, ask for directions.

The resort beach is white sanded, but bottom is rocky. The only pleasant, sandy gateway into the sea is in the northern, Kantenah part of the beach. You will easy spot it because many people gather there.

There are many restaurants. We didn’t visited many. In general we were very happy with buffet restaurants. Our preference is sea food, our rule is to avoid fast food. Both are easy to follow at the Grand Palladium. But, I noticed that folks who prefer ‘burger’ diet should also be happy.

This resort provides free Wi-Fi in lobby areas, which is very convenient to be in touch with families and friends on Skype.

So, will I return? I wish I would, reservations follow.

We arrived late afternoon on Friday, January 27-th at the Kantenah lobby. Checking in with Marco (I may misspelled the name) was fast. He ensured us that our rooms are on the middle floor. But in a few minutes we ended up in rooms 2018, 2019 on the ground floor (we e-mailed the Grand Palladium in advance asking for mid- or top floor locations because we were on travel with kids and worried about mold). We immediately returned and asked Marco why he told us a lie about room location. After some unreasonable explanations he promised to ‘take the case and call us later’. I could translate the quoted, but it is not for a written matter.

But, we were optimistic. Villa #20 is nicely located close to the beach. We spent the rest of the day on the beach and exploring beautiful flora and fauna. The real problem was discovered when we returned to our rooms for a sleep. Then we found that one of the rooms, #2019, is a SMOKING room. Beds, pillows, almost everything stank of tobacco in this room. After sleepless night we reported the case to the Colonial lobby. Young lady, we spoke with, told us something that left us speechless. She informed us that it is a usual practice at the Grand Palladium to place non-smokers in smoking rooms. IS THAT TRUE? If yes, I will never return. I believe that non-smoking accommodation must be granted, if requested. It is not a privilege.

Hopefully, another front desk person noticed our conversation and tried to help. But, she didn’t find a room for us available until next day. We requested meeting with manager, but it was impossible on weekend. Finally we were moved to room #1816 on Sunday, January 29th after two sleepless nights in smoking room #2019.

The rest of our vacation was just perfect, until we contacted the Colonial check out the day before our departure. Our original reservation was with Kantenah, but we were moved to Colonial section. So, we asked to call our taxi company and ask them to pick up us next day from the Colonial rather than Kantenah lobby. It was the first time in my life when hotel reception refused to call taxi company and offered to call ourselves for $5/call from telephone around the corner.

In summary: The Grand Palladium is very good resort, but its front desk service needs improvement. At the end of my story I’d like to repeat my question: is non-smoking accommodation granted at the Grand Palladium, if requested? I am sure that honest answer would affect many people decision about traveling to the Grand Palladium.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Semyon G
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear Semyon G,

Thank you for share with us your comments about your vacation in Grand Palaldium. I appreciate your time and I would like to offer you my apologies for the incidents with the room. In the complex, we have smoking and non smoking rooms. When we have a request, we check all the options for accomodate the rooms requested. I will take note about your comments and I will check this situacion with our Front Office Manager and our Assistant Manager.

Best regares,

Resident Mangaer
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Fantastic holiday, large resort, great setting. Special thanks to Abigail at customer relation desk. Regarding food - high level of quality, being a coeliac I would highly recommend this resort to any coeliac, as the staff at the resort are trained about the importance of the gluten-free diet. Special thanks to Manuel Silva & Chef Andres at Tikal and La Hacienda Restaurants for all the help given to me, to choose the gluten-free meals. Thank you again everyone at the resort for a wonderful holiday. Hope to visit the resort next year. Zofia from Nottingham U.K.

5 Thank Zofia O
Dear Zofia O,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to thank you for share with us your good comments.

I will share your commentes with our staff.