“Coeliac - gluten free!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Coeliac - gluten free!”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Fantastic holiday, large resort, great setting. Special thanks to Abigail at customer relation desk. Regarding food - high level of quality, being a coeliac I would highly recommend this resort to any coeliac, as the staff at the resort are trained about the importance of the gluten-free diet. Special thanks to Manuel Silva & Chef Andres at Tikal and La Hacienda Restaurants for all the help given to me, to choose the gluten-free meals. Thank you again everyone at the resort for a wonderful holiday. Hope to visit the resort next year. Zofia from Nottingham U.K.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Zofia O
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear Zofia O,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to thank you for share with us your good comments.

I will share your commentes with our staff.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
minnesota
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Everything that people have wrote is pretty accurate....
The positives:
The wildlife and scenery.
Great Sit down restaurants.
Could always find a spot at the pool/beach
The warm temperatures, only 1 of 7 nights had to wear a sweater.
The negatives:
Lunch Buffet
Room checkin/checkout

Details:
We had a large group, approximately 20-25 people; When we arrived at about 1:00 we were told to get our wrist bands and get lunch.. They wouldn't even check to see if anyone in our groups rooms was ready(hard to believe that out of 15ish rooms none were ready; we had one baby traveling with us so it would have been nice for her to lay down for a nap etc have our long trip). Checkout we were told to put our luggage outside our door between 6 and 6:30 for our return bus ride at 6:50 am. Since there are really 2 lobbies half of our groups luggage was in one lobby and the other half at the other lobby(Colonial and Kantenah).
We were told the week we were there(Jan 27-Feb 3) that there were about 2500 guests and during their high season a few weeks before that there were 5000+ people, I couldn't imagine how packed and crazy the buffets would have been if I thought they were bad when I was there in low season.
Spa:
The spa was great, one day it was cloudy so we went up there late afternoon and sat in the hot tubs and jetted hot tubs. I also got a massage; I do think that it was quite sad that for the price of the massage the form says in big print, gratuity not included.... I'm sure the worker only saw about $5 or 10 out of my massage and the resort gets the rest and I was still expected to tip.
I was pretty sick of hearing "gratuity not included" by the end of my stay between the apple tour people and seeing that at the spa. I did tip when I got great service, we had an awesome waiter at the Mexican restaurant between 2 couples we tipped him over $10. Tipping didn't seem to matter at this resort, you got the same old slow service at the bars and a couple bucks to housekeeping must be expected I guess because I got only one animal the whole week after tipping just about each day.
Rooms:
We were in room 4608, it was the first building next to the Kantenah lobby, great location, found a shortcut to go to the pool/Colonail lobby. The housekeeping service was poor, I had a couple wrappers lay on the floor for over 2 days and one day she put my half drank pop I left on a counter back in my mini fridge so that meant I got one less new pop in my fridge. Fridges are medicore at best keeping the drinks cold.
Food:
There were so many different sit down restaurants to go to(most of them were able to get into shortly and the steak house and Italian were the only ones we had to wait an hour for). Go get ice cream at the bar that is adjacent to the swim up bar (awesome!). A great thing about the resort was that they had Sol beer, my first time in 5 trips to Mexico I could actually stand drinking the beer. Buffets were good, however we found that the breakfast buffett the service wasn't always the best, we had one morning where we didn't even get water or anything offered to us to drink and there were no glasses to fill with juice at the juice bar so we basically went thirsty during that meal, my only other complaint with the buffets was that the lunch buffet that was by the pool area(the outdoor seating area) there was hardly a table available at any time to sit down and eat and you are not allowed to take food out the area.
The last thing I will mention for the guys is that make sure to bring a many pairs of long pants, I had only packed 2 pair beside the pair my husband wore to/from airport, and we went out to eat every night. No need for shorts(besides the swim trunks you were during the day) if you are planning on eating at the specialty restaurants, which you are sure to do, because the buffets get boring day after day.
Overall we had a great vacation I would definitely recommend this resort to other people. We will probably not return do to the fact that our next warm weather vacation will probably be somewhere we haven’t been to….

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ilovetraveling25
Dear ilovetraveling25,

Thank you for taking time to give ur your comments. I don't understand your comment about the restaurants and the nº of guest. If you could please give me more information, I'd appreciate your time.

I will check the situation with your luggage with our Bell Boys captain. But, I would comment that all the luggage have to stay inside the room and not outside.

I would like to give you our apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation.

The information that you provide to us, it's help for improve our service.

Please, if you change your opinion and you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contac with us.

Winnipeg
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This resort is a 90 minute bus ride from the Cancun airport but that's ok, they sell cold corona for $3US each on the bus.

We were the only ones on our bus going to this resort so check-in was instant, we were delivered to building 46 and shown our third floor room. The view from up here is awesome, tree tops and thatched roofs only. The room had a king sized bed, large closet with safe, one armchair at a small table and a desk with a cushioned stool. Also, sliding doors on to a decent sized balcony complete with two chairs and a small end table. I recommend you bring an extension cord from home as another reviewer suggested, the outlets are few and are single plug-ins, not double. One bone of contention is that the pillows were very small and there was a menu in the room to RENT better ones for $5 a day, you might sleep better if you brought a vacuum packed one from home in your suitcase. Our bathroom was clean and up to date and everything worked well, but again, one plug. The safe is included in the price of the room but the internet in the rooms is extra ($45/week). Internet in the lobby is free but on both the paid and free wifi the speeds are quite slow though I did see people using skype successfully in the lobby.

The resort: this is a massive resort with jungle surrounding it and scattered throughout. Keep the map, that the front desk provides, with you while exploring, it comes in handy. We ate at three buffets and they all seemed to serve the same thing and only the ones at the White Sands portion of the resort were slightly different in flavor and preparation. We ate at four a la carte restaurants with our favorite being Mare Nostrum near the Colonial lobby.

The best beach was found on the North end of the resort near buildings 34 35 and 36. We Also enjoyed the Kantenah/Colonial main pool and the busy bar that served it.

In the evenings we found ourselves in the Colonial lobby as the entertainment was always some live soloist or band and we could see the evening shows as well. The animation team or "People of Palladium" were excellent dancers and lip synced to a wide assortment of classic and modern music every night.

TL;DR: Big place, lots of bars and food and very good overall quality. Good value for your money. Dislike: Vendors in the evening were a bit pushy and small pillows in the room with a $5/day fee for better ones.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room for a treetop view. Bring a pillow if you're picky.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Marcel L
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Thank you frozentoad for your comments. I appreciate you time. The opinion of our guest it's help for improve our service and our facilities.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I know the score we have given this hotel is around average and quite honestly I think this is a more than fair score! Whilst the hotel is in a beautiful location and most of it is in good order most of it is in an unkept shabby condition we totaly got the Eco thing but that's no excuse! When we first arrived it had the wow factor but within hours we realized this place had it flaws ! The check in was a long dragged out affair however they had got all our details correct and upgraded us to a Mayan room in the colonial part of the resort due to it been our honeymoon . The room was great and Lovley little touches like towel art and the odd flower and mini bar well stocked however it wasn't cleaned thoroughly eg: under bed and siteee full of dust dead creepy crawlies ! In our two weeks stay they remained there ! The biggest problem was the restaurants if you are happy to wait 30-40 mins in a que to just request a Table then wait upto a further 2-3 hours to eat then this is the place for you ! No I'm not exaggerating unless you are happy to eat in the buffet every night this is a true account of a dining out at the grand palladium resorts restaurants ! I firstly complained to the Thompson holiday rep then the hotels customer relations explaining we was on our honeymoon and not happy about the dining out situation Spending our time rushing to get out to que and to wait for a table somtimes eventually eating as late as 11at night ! The response we got was nothing could be done about it ! I asked to speak to the manager and was told he couldn't do anything about it ! But my feeling is mr manager you will reply to this review ! We as a couple felt totally over looked many of the hotels guest come from America and Canada and usually travel in large groups and wedding partys so the hotels restauraunt staff spent most of there time moving tables and taking large orders which took some time and ended up with couples been over looked ! The hotel runs a privilege membership to any if the palladium hotels world wide this is basically pushed on you in a very sly form and guise of the hotel has a special gift they wish to give you for a few minuets of your time ( half a precious day of your holiday) !!!! Requesting you bring a credit/debit card and your passports with you from the onset it's a hard sell to buy into this scheme and they are reluctant to let you say no! And if u do not buy in guess what there's no special gift !!!! I have noticed Thompson/first choice have not included this hotel in next years holiday brochure and I'm sure it's due to many complaints similar to ours . This was no honeymoon or relaxing holiday until we ventured out of the hotel into playa del Carmen to dine out with out the trauma of queuing and waiting hours for food and doing what most holiday makers want to do ! Relax and enjoy their holiday ! If that's what you want avoid this place ! On a better note staff are Lovley and helpful wildlife and beach fantastic !

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Missyjj92
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Dear Missyjj92,

First of all, I would like to give you our apologies for the incidents that you have had during your honeymoon in Grand Palladium. I appreciate your time because with this information I will see what has happened.

All comments are help for improve our service.

I respect your point of view about the hotel but I would like to comment, that We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable.

Please, if you decide to give us another oportunity, don't hesitate to contact with us.

derby
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful 10 night stay at the Grand palladium Kantenah. We stayed in room 4531. The room was spacious, bright & airy. We had e-mailed the hotel to request a high level floor in a quiet position, & that is exactly what we we were given. Some reviewers have stated that the rooms are not up to five star standard. Yes the rooms are not exactly Grand, however we felt that they complemented the natural theme of the complex, and we were more than happy. We even received a phone call from reception to ask if everthing was ok with the room, Not had that before! The complex is huge,and spotlessly clean.We loved all the wildlife and it was great for early morning strolls.We were never bored. You soon learn to find your way around, there are maps to show you were you are. The transportation system is fantastic. A train runs between all the main lobby's, and there are buggies to drop you off to your room, if you dont fancy walking. The beach is lovely too just exacly what you would expect to see in the carribean. The food is fantastic in the 3 buffet restaurants, & there are plenty of a la cartes, including Chinese, Mexican, Brazillian, Japanese, Italian, Meditranian. Our favorite was, Ribs & More. Try the New yorker steak just melts in your mouth. You can visit all these as many times as you wish. Finally a word about the staff. I have never come across such happy, smiling,well presented, hardworking staff, on any of my travels. They are a credit to this well run Hotel

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank fitzy01
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Thank you fitzy01 for taking time to share with us your comments about your vacation. It's a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed the hotel.

If you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2012

just return from two weeks holiday for daughters 21st birthday we couldnt fault it.
,the hotel was lovely staff were friendly and the food and drinks were great tried all the resturants flight out we had long delay five hours so we were all tierd been traveling eighteen hours with the delay good job the hotel was worth the wait beach was one of the best beaches we have been in the world and we have been goa, gambia ,thiland and other so we was impressed rooms were good basic but clean we ask for room close to beach and we got one and a upgrade to junior suite with spa bath the spa itself is great and all inclusive very nice surroundings lot of wild life we would def go back went on collectivo 30 passos each way was cheap and easy get where you want tulum or akulmal went snorkleing and got bitten on toe by fish when we was in sea very scared must say the beach at the hotel was much the same as akulmal no different really went to playa carman shopping spent £300 only went in two shops very good brought hamock and leather goods, overall the place was amazing pools and beach just book and see for yourself, weather cloudy + we had a few showers but we cant do anythink about the weather still got a tan.

Room Tip: stay at collonal central to everythink white sand very quiet more for couples or marriages alot of p...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank ashste
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear ashste,

Thank you for share with us your opinion about your vacation in Grand Palladium.

We appreciate you time.

Vancouver Island, BC
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed in block 50 Jan.21-28. We traveled with two other family's and our group was 13 people in total 7 kids and 6 adults 2yrs-40yrs. We ate most meals together and never had a wait at either the buffet or ala carte's longer than 5 minutes. We all sat togther at the pool & beach and never had a problem getting chairs together. The resort is huge! I was lost for the first few days even with the maps. Use the trains they are easy to figure out and cut down on "lost" time. Food, beach & pool were great - rooms need updating (small double beds) the staff are great, they sure do work long days. We used all ages of the kids club and the kids really enjoyed it. We booked private transport to and from the airport, I would absolutley do this again, well worth the $. Great snorkeling & swimming @ the beach a bit rocky but there would be nothing to see if the rocks wern't there. 3rd time to this area, while there we thought we would try something else next time but our only problem was the size now that we know our way around we would return.

• Stayed January 2012
6 Thank ouropinionis
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear ouropinionis,

Thank you so much for to share with us your comments about your vacation at Grand palladium.

It's nice to know that you have had a great time with us.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!