“Fantastic Facility ..pity about the service”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
derby
“Fantastic Facility ..pity about the service”
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Ive just got back from 2 weeks at the Colonial..firstly an amazing faciliity with plenty of bars, restaurants, pools and a lovely beach where we saw the turtles hatching.

The hotel is large allowing some great walks through the jungle and the mangroves and the scenery and wildlife are amazing including the crocodile reserves.

Like any holiday its what you make of it and although I had a fantastic time at this resort this was all to do with the facility and absolutely nothing to do with the staff excluding house keeping who were fantastic. This hotel could be truly outstanding if the staff and management actually appreciated what they had. This hotel could easily impress if only it had a level of service above a cheap bed and breakfast....

Check in - rude staff / receptionist could only be less helpful if they actually didnt speak..
Buffet breakfast is a great place to start the day. Myself and partner used to have a quiz everyday which summed up the staff ...will we be seated for breakfast?? somedays . otherdays no..staff to busy playing on their radios? Will we be offered tea or coffee within 15 minutes?? Will the 3 staff working a section just wipe their little tables and chat or actually help???

Bar staff - would occasionally acknowledge you however they are desperately understaffed so cannot be to blame ....

Great variety of "a la carte restaurants" , where if you were served by Walter in Ribs and Raymondo in Bamboo you would have a great night, however on our return visits the service was no better than poor.

The management ....the only staff who never acknowledge you around the resort unless trying to sell you a time share so no wonder their staff dont seem to care..

Such a pity the service is so poor as this hotel has so many pluses that would truly make an amazing resort. Would I go back ..really unsure, for the facilty yes but the service makes it a decision that would be made purely on price...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nibs90
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
Thank you nibs90 for give us your feedback about your last holidays in Grand Palladium. I would like to give my apologies for any inconvenient that you can have had during your vacation here with us.
All comments that we received every day, are good for us becouse we can improve our serve every day.
I will check with the reception manager the incidents with reception staff and I will check with our Cheff and Maitre the comments about the restaurants and bars.
If you would like to give us more details, please don't hesitate to contact with us please.
If in the future, you chance your opinion and you decide to visit us again, please send me an e-mail.
Best regards,

Banesa Maria Burque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (962)
  • Polish first
Ohio
Reviewed November 17, 2010

My husband and I traveled with friends tot he Colonial the last week of October and it was wonderful. The staff and service were great and the resort is beautiful. We went just to relax and have a good time and that's exactly what we did. We have been to the area before and this resort is the best we have stayed at. Samantha at guest services is a real charm, she made our stay much easier. There are many resturants to choose from so you will not get bored with what you eat. Spa is wonderful, you can enjoy a large part of it without adding any extra expenses. Only thing I would change is they need bottled beer at the bars (maybe at least at the inside ones), the draft beer gets to you after awhile. All in all a wonderful place to go, we will go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank vkfish
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear pibred, Thank you for taking time to give us your opinion about your last holidays at Grand Palladium Colonial. It´s a pleasure to know that you and your friends have had a good experience here with us. Thank you for your comments about the staff and I will give these comments to them too. It´s the team work that makes this possible.

Thank you so much again. If you need something and if you decide visit us again, please don't hesitate to contact with us.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 14, 2010

This resort was just blah. The rooms all have a view of trees in your face. The beddings are from the 1970's. The food offerings were difficult to appreciate. And its too far away from the city of Playa del Carmen/Cozumel ferry. I was there for a wedding which was a wonderful ceremony on the beach. However, the service was average. I didnt feel like they were going over and above for your comfort.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dawiglet
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Dear dawiglet, First of all I would like to give my apologies por any inconveniences that you could had have during your holidays with us. I really sorry if you didn't like the hotel. I would really appreciate if you gave us more details about your reservations, so that I check all and I could give you a correct answer.

Best regards,
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I have been to many all-inclusive hotels in Mexico and the Dominican Republic, and the Grand Palladium, Riviera Maya is my favorite. I stayed in the Colonial Resort and found that to be a good central location.

The helpful and friendly service is a plus. Thank you to Pedro at Reception for his help in getting me settled. I am fluent in Spanish, but was impressed with the excellent English of reception and adequate language skills of wait staff. In April I very much enjoyed the Grand Palladium in Punta Cana and was impressed with the company and looked forward to experiencing the GP in Riviera Maya. My expectations were exceeded.

The 4 resorts together are huge. There are trains and carts. But I enjoyed walking through the tranquil walkways, especially through the jungle. I used bug spray and didn't get bit. One feature of the room I especially liked is the screen door in the balcony door, so that I could leave the door open to the jungle sounds, third floor room.

Beach: Beautiful, clear aqua water, lots of fish. A few rocks near shore, step carefully, and then soft sand on ocean bottom.

Pools: Very clean, 2 huge main pools, smaller adults only pools. Loved the salt-water pool. Plenty of showers by pools. Pools have bars in pools. Beach bars adjoin snack bars, soft serve ice cream dispensers.

Lounge chairs: I saw plenty of vacant lounge chairs and beach beds and hammocks. There are plenty of palapas for shade at all the pools and all along the beach.

Spa: Loved the spa, but no shade around outdoor spa pool. There are outdoor jetted areas. The heated jets are inside, also the soothing stone walk. The gym is inside. Everything that doesn't require the touch of an employee is free. Over 18 only.

Food: Excellent in quality and variety and presentation. Only complaint, and this is true of all buffets, most meat is tough. Pork loin tender every night. I ate mostly mero (grouper) and chicken. Only restaurant I went to was Mexican, mero cooked perfectly. I especillay liked the buffet grill where you had a choice of 3 meats or fish cooked. Example, lunch had choice of mero, mahi-mahi, or salmon. This is in addition to the buffet presentations. Buffets had pizzas, hamburgers, fries, pasta station. Every night the buffets had different country theme. Loads of fresh fruit every meal. Beach Bar with snack bar is open 24/7. The buffets and restaurants, except for the lunch buffet by the pool, are air conditioned. This is a plus. And lunch is also served in the main buffets.

Staff: Excelllent throughout. The employees really make an effort to offer good service and be helpful. They are very pleasant with an excellent attitude.

Ambience: All 4 open-air marble lobbies are spectacular. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained, the animals well cared for. (I do not like the vendors which are near the lobbies most nights, they are a rip-off.)

Entertainment: Nightly shows at Coloinal at 9, at Riviera section at 10:15. Excellent quality. Amazing acrobatics. Try to catch the weekly show at the salt water pool, the history of Mexico. They have canoes in the pool and torches, and a spectacular dance with torchlit headresses. The Colonial has more shows geared to children, but also enjoyable for adults. There is also live entertainment in the lobbies before and after the shows.

Overall, love GP and POP, People of Palladium and I will be happy to return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank MsLee10
Thank you MsLee10 for give us your feedback about your last holidays at Grand Palladium. We really appreciate all the great comments that you made about our resort and especially about our staff. We are working everyday to improve our facilities and the quality of service that we provide to our clients. We strive to make every guests vacation one that they will remember as their last vacation ever. We are looking forward to your next visit. If you need something, please don't hesitate to contact with us.

Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Well it has been 7 days since my husband and me (ages early-mid 50’s) arrived home. Leaving the wonderful tropics to come home to freezing temps in the Pocono Mountains of PA..brrrrr. Anyways, I have dallied long enough in getting this report done, so here it is. We were at the Grand Palladium form Oct 20-28. Weather was beautiful, with one afternoon of rain.

Arrival at Cancun Int’l ;
Flew from Philadelphia to Cancun, arranged for transportation with Cancun Transfers. Had previously arranged with Cancun Transfers to have Coor’s light in the van at pick up. Apparently not the easiest thing to find in Mexico, he apologized and had 6 Corona lights…..fine by me ...live and enjoy. Very pleasing ride in a comfortable vehicle, not sure if it was an expedition or blazer, I am not good with that stuff. PS: Some sections of the overpass are done and they are looking to be complete by the end of November….we all had a good laugh about that statement.

Only one slight problem about arriving into Cancun Int’l was that my husband’s luggage decided it would rather visit Costa Rica. So no luggage…luckily we always carry on essentials: bathing suit, shorts, and evening attire. Cancun airport officials were very helpful and were hopeful that they would find it and have it sent to the hotel…so were we.

Arrival at Hotel:
Front desk personnel, in one word fabulous. Spoke to the man in charge of the luggage he looked at our luggage and said is that all you have. We laughed and explained, he told us to stop over to speak to the guest services personnel to let them know about the trip our luggage had decided to take. Guest services immediately called Cancun airport and spoke with the representative there and asked us to check back with her in an hour.

We checked back with her in an hour, our luggage had been located and American Airlines would put it on a flight to Cancun. Luggage porter asked us if we wanted it delivered to our room regardless of what time it came, we did and it was, promptly at 1:00am that morning. Yippee!! So no worries.

Rooms and Ground:
We were in Colonial section, Villa 1, standard room….so convenient to everything, Secret pool, main pool, beach, lobby, even more perfect if it rains.
Room was clean and functional, nothing fancy. We did have a chance to view some other rooms and if you can swing it, I would suggest at the very least go with a Jr. Suite.

As much as I hate not having room service (except the Royal Section) I can totally understand, with the amount of critters and insects, it would be near impossible to keep the area free of insects if you had left over food through out the many, many buildings. I feel the same with the Towel Animals, nice for the first night and perhaps the last night, but in a green environment a waste of extra towels and laundry to provide every night.

The grounds along with the many covered walkways and wooden over paths made every walk enjoyable and were well lit. NOTE: Do not wear spike heels to dinner if you plan on walking on these wooden walkways…heels can get caught. The critters were enjoyable and the grounds always kept clean. I did not see a lot of smokers or remnants of smokers (butts on the ground etc) there are ashtrays all over the resort and these, as well, are kept clean. The orchids are not currently in bloom, but the areas were they are kept are pretty interesting.

Housekeeping: Left notes in the morning of what I needed along with a sample and $2 with the note, for instance,
QTY 4 – splenda and left an empty packet of splenda
QTY 8 – Café mate – empty café mate
QTY 4 – Café
Always got what I requested. Room was always cleaned within 1 hour of hanging the room cleaning sign.

Beach & Pools & Spa
Beach was lovely and quite long, the right side has a little more coral and tidal impacts, seaweed (very little), etc., great for snorkeling, and the left side is perfect for swimming. We walked the entire beach from left to right daily and enjoyed the swimming in front of the colonial section, and the privacy in the late afternoon in the hammocks and loungers to the right side of beach. The Secret pool near the colonial was the warmest of the pools, the Colonial the deepest and the Rivera shallower and quieter. All were clean and fun. Never had a bit of problem finding shade, or loungers.

Spa pools and the many amenities were very tranquil… I know it is offered for free, felt like I was sneaking in and stealing. Yes it is that nice, couldn’t believe they don’t charge for the use of the Spa Lazy River Pools, Jacuzzi’s, water treatments and steam rooms. Just Lovely!

Food and Drink:
Never had any problem or waiting to get drinks, but sometimes had to compromise and go with vodka instead of rum…soo not a big deal. Favorite bars…Secret, Colonel Lobby and Sports bar. Fav drinks…Cocoloco, Miami Vice, beer with Bloody Mary mix (can’t spell the name). Drinks were not watered down…and if you want more alcohol, just ask.

We are pretty conservative eaters, French toast and bacon for breakfast along with fruit was our standard. I also enjoyed the fried chicken strips and cheese balls for breakfast, weird for breakfast but very good. My favorite was the wonderful, warm Banana Bread…oh so good. But for more adventurous eaters the selection was very varied and plentiful, omelets looked amazing.

Had the lunch buffet twice (mashed potatoes are to die for) saw the staff constantly checking temperatures.

Our favorite place to eat was El Dorado’s (twice) with the Brazilian, Italian and Ribs and More coming a close 2nd.

In my opinion they could improve on the desserts, they look great but they are a bit dry, I would order a scoop of ice-cream with my dessert to give it some more moisture.

In closing, I really enjoyed the resort and had a great time. I did not find it as large as some make it out to be, if you keep to the beach area it is very easy to get from one section to the other. Never waited for a tram (of course it was low season). However, for me, it is also due to the large size that is a deterrent as you did not get a chance to get to know a lot of the staff or the guests.

BUT after all is said and done, the size would not deter me from returning as there is so much to see and do. The staff was fantastic and so very accommodating, and the grounds and food extremely pleasant and enjoyable. Everyone’s trip is different and most all of us expect different things. My trip to the Grand Palladium was very relaxing and worry free and I would return. My thanks to the staff for making my trip so enjoyable.

6 Thank Doanda
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2010
Dear Doanda,
We would like to thank you for having considered the Palladium Resorts for your last vacation and we are very happy and proud to hear that you really enjoy our resort. Thank you for your good comments.
I hope we can meet again next vacation and If you have any further question or request don’t hesitate to contact us

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed November 4, 2010

This was our fourth trip to a Mexico all-inclusive resort, and while we enjoyed all of them, my husband and I agreed that this was the best. It is large, which suited us because we like to walk, and we never bothered with any of the trams, even though they sometimes stopped to offer us a ride when they passed us. We were there the last week of October, and we were told that occupancy was only at around 50 percent which made it very easy to find chairs at either the beach or the pool. Building 9 was a perfect location for us, centrally located between the pools and a short walk to the beach and Punta Emilia. I emailed my room preference a week before we arrived and got everything that I had requested. I was also pleased that the hotel responded to each of my emails instead of leaving me hanging, not knowing whether they received it or not.

I had to look hard for negatives, and they are rather petty. First, we had to say "no" about 50 times before they believed that there was nothing they could offer us to make us attend their "90 minute" sales presentation. Also, the air-conditioning wasn't functioning properly at Mare Nostrum the night we ate there, so we couldn't enjoy our meal and didn't even stick around to check out the desserts because it was so hot in there. Also, it was impossible to get diet soft drinks in our room refrigerator. I guess they don't stock them. Now onto the positives.

Beach - absolutely beautiful, and wonderful for long walks. Yes, you have to watch for coral and rocks in some places, but for the most part it's soft white sand. There are two swimming areas by the Colonial and Kantenah sections.
Snorkeling - it was surprising good by the White Sands section, and we saw hundreds of fish. Coral makes it difficult to walk out to the snorkeling area, but once out there it's great. Snorkel equipment is free from Scuba Caribe for an hour, but quantities are limited and there are no reservations, so bring your own along if you have it, along with the all-important water shoes. Scuba Caribe also offers tours to Akumal to snorkel with the turtles, but we chose to just stay on the resort this trip.
Segway Tour - George "Poco Loco" was a great guide, and took very good care of us on the tour, even getting us safely to the shelter of a beach bar just moments before the skies opened up with a downpour of rain. It was a very entertaining tour and gave a good overview of the resort early in our vacation. I thought it was well worth the $30 per person.
Food - we really enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the morning and the unlimited Ala Cartes for dinner. Our favorite midday snacks included onion rings and chicken wings at Punta Emilia, and ice cream at the Gran Azul bar (try the Mango and the Blackberry Cheese). Our favorite restaurant was Portofino, and if you like steak, definitely go there for their Portobello Sirloin.
Staff - From sweet little Feliciana at the La Hacienda breakfast buffet who remembered what drinks we liked by the 3rd morning in her section, to Irvin in the Kantenah Lobby Bar who entertained us with stories of his family and helped us with our Spanish, to Angeles who cleaned our room perfectly, leaving us cute little towel art and greeting us with a smile whenever we saw her, to the groundskeepers who always responded when we smiled and said "hola"; everyone was great!
Wildlife/Scenery - even if you don't want to use the salt water pool or Las Rocas Bar, it's a beautiful walk over there and I highly recommend checking it out. Also, although I know you have to be careful with wild animals, it was such fun to feed the tejons (aka coatis) near the La Hacienda restaurant. They love Fruit Loops. Just be careful of their claws if you feed them by hand - they can really grip onto you and get a little competitive with the food!

All in all, it was a great trip and a great hotel. We booked thru Apple Vacations and paid an extra $30 for the non-stop transportation because it is a bit of a ride from the airport, and we were glad we did. We got to the resort in about 1 hour and 15 minutes, but saw some others from our flight getting there 90 minutes after we checked in because they didn't book the non-stop. If you're planning on visiting this resort I don't think you will regret it; just relax and enjoy! I miss it already and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Propietario at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Thank you BeachGirl157 for taking time to give us your opinion about your holidays at Grand Palalladium. It's good to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are continuously working in order to keep our guest expectation high and the comments that we receive from our guests help us to know if we are on the rigth path.
Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if you need something.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2010

omg this was a great holiday.arrived and i was ill and the staff were excellant couldnt do enough for me.the place was well decorated and so clean.people sweeping up all time.food was so lovely the food was brilliant.so much room to sit ound pools.beach was paradise especially tryin to see the turtles hatching.we have done so manyholidays but thisby far beat them all.went to x caret which was briilliant worth going.went to tulum beautiful and swam with dolpins at dolphinus great.then went to acumaul and swam with turtules .had the time of my life staff couldnt do enough for us .no people hassling u to buy things.booked to go to jamaicanext year but a little worried as this holiday was hard to beat

Dear jacqueline79,
Thank you for your time. We really appreciate all the great comments thank you made about our resort and especially about our staff. We are working everyday to improve our facilities and the quality of service that we provide to our clients. We strive to make every guests vacation one that they will remember as their best vacation ever.
We are looking forward to your next visit. Please keep in touch and if there is anything we can do for your, do not hesitate to contact me.
acliente@fiestahotelgroup.com
King regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!