“Had a great time!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Newyork
“Had a great time!!!”
Reviewed February 26, 2006

I returned here for my 2nd time and brought my kid. We all had an exelent time!
~~~~~FOOD~~~~~
The food was ok... The buffet was good but you start to get tired of eating the same food everyday. I would say that out of all the resterants, the Japenese resturant was by far the best! we didnt enjoy the mexican resturant but only because we dont like mexican food. The ribs place and the Italian place were just ok. The service at all of these resterants is absolutly horrible! We had reservations at 6:30, and by the time we were done eating, it was about 9:00. you sit and wait for your food for ever!!!!
~~~~~Activities/entertanment~~~~~~
The nightly entertanment was nod as good as it used to be. if you have kids, they will love the children show, and if you very outgoing and dont mind being imbaressed in front of tons of people, then you will love the adult pre show. they had some dancing shows which we enjoyed, but many times we found the White sands side had better entertanment. We went to the disco 2 times. both times, it was completly empty! Activities around the pool are bad, they have some dancing lessons and games for the kids, thats about it! If you love the beach, you will find tons to do there. We rented Jet Skis... It is worth it! its only about 600 mexican (60) US, for 1 jet ski and 30 minuts. But, if you bring the men at the hut hamburgers and fries, they will give you an extra 10 minuts for free!! There was also Parasailing, this was a blast, and we also went scuba diving!
~~~~Rooms~~~~
The bds were horrible, there was a weird plastic under the sheets so every morning you woke up drenched in sweat. The maid service was average. we left are maid 3 dollars every day. somtimes she was extra nice and made animals out of our towels. The TV is all in spanish exept for a few channels. The worse part, was that one of the days, we were awoken to pounding and drilling at 6 in the morning. they were replacing the doors on everyones room!
~~~~~Overal~~~~~~
This was an exelent resort with a few very little irritations, however this will not keep you from having a good time. We would recoment this to anyone with kids of any age!

9 Thank Jeanne W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 21, 2006

Just back from four days at the Palladium Grand. Be assured the "Grand" in its name is well deserved. We were me at the curb by a porter who told us to return with our room number. We did and were given a ride to our upgraded room, a Mayan Suite on the Colonial side, with an ocean view. We relaxed a bit and visited the adult pool, had a few wonderful drinks.
Later, when we returned from dinner, we were surprised to find a bottle of champaign and a fruit basket. We were celebrating our aniversity and had mentioned this when requesting a room. A very kind letter was left with the presents.
The next day there was a problem with the A/C. Two workmen tried to fix it but we were not convinced it was 100%. While they were working on it the front desk called offering to find us a new room on the Kantenah side. Although reluctant to leave this great room with its ocean view and fine location, we packed up, hopped on the porter's cart and headed over to the Kantenah. We were amazed when we were taken to another Mayan Suite. This one was literally on the beach. I cannot imagine the staff of any resort treatng their guests better. The Palladium did everything they could to make us comfortable.
The propert is gorgeous, a combination of natural beauty and man made. Immaculately clean, the resort sparkles. All of the pools were clean, the beach was free of any trash, the rooms both public and private were spotless.
We stayed here in 11/2004 and fould the food at the buffets to be rather bland. It is very much improved since then. The steak at the Med. restaurant was excellent as was my wife's shrimp dish. The Asian restaurant was a bit disappointing to us, but others we talked to loved it. Poppers at the beach bar were a special treat.
Different resorts satisfy different people. The Palladium provides everyhing we need for a great vacation. We are already planning for our next trip there.

28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 19, 2006

Because I'm such a faithful user of tripadvisor, I thought it only fair to include my thoughts as well. I stayed at the Colonial Palladium for my honeymoon in June 2005. It was wonderful! The grounds were spectacular! Exactly what I had hoped for! A beautiful breezy lobby, shop, and restaurant area with marble walkways, high vaulted thatched roofs, fountains, and ponds with goldfish. I loved how the resort preserved the natural beauty of the lush and tropical environment: wooden walkways through the jungle, secluded adult pool, and green vegetation throughout. The grounds were immaculate. I loved the private adult pool with its own bar, a huge main pool with a swim-up bar, a volleyball court, an all-night snack bar, and a gorgeous beach with clear water, schools of white fish swimming at your feet, and plenty of chairs for sunbathing. We stayed in a junior suite which was very spacious and nicely decorated with a beautiful marble bathroom and a jetted bathtub that provided the most wonderful bubble baths. The buffets were bountiful, varied, and good tasting. My favorite place was the Japanese restaurant where we sat outside on a deck over a pond and had the best sushi I've ever tasted! All the employees were very nice and the atmosphere was very relaxed. I was surprised that the bugs hardly bothered us at all. Overall, I only have one suggestion for the resort and that is to make activities more accessible. We often didn't know what was going on or how to participate. This resort was wonderful and a great value (we booked through Expedia). I would recommend it to anyone looking for a beautiful, relaxing vacation! I wish I could go back tomorrow!

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 19, 2006

Feb 13 thr Feb 19 2006. Grand Palladium Colonial/Kantenah Resort & Spa had a wonderful time. The walkways are bridges through the jungle and it is beautiful. We had a 3rd floor Jr Suite on the Kantenah side and it was big and clean. The beach is great and plenty of chairs, no towl games needed to be played. The pool was big, a bit cold, but the weather has been cool. The food was good and there is plenty to choose from. I can't find anything bad to say about this resort in Riviera Maya.

18 Thank redtail
Reviewed February 17, 2006

We enjoyed a week at the Colonial, and adjoining resorts. Service was great, tho alot of the staff didn't understand English (and us, no Spanish). We felt like royalty, and didn't want to leave when our time was over! Be sure to visit Caesar and Juan in the secret bar--they put up with alot of tourists' antics, so be good! We ate at "Ribs and More", "Portofino" and "El Dorado" for our ala cartes, enjoying excellent and polite service at all three, and amazing steak! Our resort appeared to be cleaner, more spacious and more luxurious than alot of the others we had to pull into, to pick up tourists for tours. I would love to go here again, if I could ever afford another trip!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2006

I just returned on Feb 10 from my first visit to this resort. I highly recommend it for anyone! Especially those who aren't sure whether they want to have a busy, fun-filled time, or bask in the sun and do nothing. The food was excellent in the buffet restaurants, and the selection was unsurpassed by any others I have seen. However, there is no divider or barrier or space between the smoking and non-smoking sections which means you might end up at a table right next to the smokers. Just tell the hostess who seats you that you want to sit far away from the smokers and they'll happily oblige. Staff were cheerful and helpful, even seeming to enjoy my pathetic attempts to speak Spanish. The room was very nice and clean. I would definitely come back! PS. The White Sand/Riviera side has more obvious hurricane damage and is within easy walking distance, if you want to see this.

11 Thank spyoe
wheaton illinois
Reviewed February 11, 2006

My husband and I went to GP on Kantenah side for the first week of Feb. We flew w/Apple. We hated the Big bus ride to the resort. Everyone was drunk and loud so we decided to do private transfer back to the airport $60.00 for 2-4 people. The resort is one hour away. We used the Collectivo buses to get around Riviara Maya for 1.50 per person. They run right outside the resort from Cancun to Tulum. LOBBY: Gorgeous, open, marble, chandeliers, fountains, shops, cool ocean breeze always floating through. That was the place to hang out in. MAYAN SUITE: 60 Steps to the ocean. Can lay in bed and see the shore. Landscaped w/lots of Palm Trees, quiet, outside shower which we really loved, beds are hard but my husband likes it, TV has about 6 US channels, always full fridge, safe for valuables, tub, biday SERVICE: Outstanding. Bent over backwards to do everything we asked immediately. This is the best service we have ever had (we were just at the Iberstar Tucan)Rooms were cleaned late in the day. Anything you need, just call front desk. They always do follow up calls at the end of the day to make sure someone took care of your problem or needs.BEACH: This was my sore spot. It was SOOOO rocky. You cannot go for a long walks up and down the shore w/out shoes. The Kantenah side is soft sand, The colonial side is rocky, The White sands is very small and the Riviera has no beach, just view of the ocean. The area North of the resort is still uninhabited and the beach is FILTHY. It made me sad to walk by it. We did find a hypodermic needle our last day, but it's not the resorts fault.FOOD: We have to give the food a C- It could be sooo bad (compared to the Iberostar) There were actually things that were completly inedible. The ala carte's were worse than the buffet. BUT, everyone can find something they like, so no one will go hungry. Drinks were great. Premium liquer. Cappacino's were awesome. The buffet's are all indoors which I don't like, but it didn't really matter. The pool restaurant was TERRIBLE.I spit out the first bite of my hotdog. Just aweful. I know they can do better than that POOLS: huge, clean and very cold. My husband loved the cold but I was frozen. I am sure it is better when it's 90 everyday. There is an adult pool which is so nice, quiet w/a bar WEATHER: 80 and sunny w/very little humidity, always a cool breeze from the ocean.ENTERTAINMENT: always some game going on at the pool, more for teens. Night shows were cute WHITESANDS: It is beautiful, but it needs time. It does appear dirty, just because of all the construction. The 3 story bridges are strange, most of the rooms are ocean view. It is surrounded by water. OVERALL this is a great place. Worth the money I spent. Lots of walking which is so good for you anyways. I would definately go if you are planning a trip to the area. Oh yeh, the worst part of the trip was Cancun Airport. Total Chaos. 2 hour wait in line for just the check in. Don't go on a weekend.

26 Thank lsrn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!