“Absolutely amazing organization !!!”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed November 9, 2005

Just returned from a 23 day vacation at the Grand Palladium Colonial. Although during our first week we were visited by hurricane Wilma, we had a wonderful time, thanks to the great organization and hardworking staff of this resort. Before the hurricane the hotel had all the straw removed from the palapas arround the pool and on the beach, all lighting fixtures on the columns were removed, all windows were tape to prevent shattering glass. The hotel has it's own generator, that supplied electricity, air conditionning and television (2 channels) during the 60 hours of the hurricane lasted, food was delivered to all the refuge rooms by the staff. We were one of the lucky ones who got to stay in their room during the ordeal. Although the hotel and the beach suffered some dammage, within two days the beach was cleaned, both adult and spa pool were operational. When we left November 6 all of the major dammage was fixed except for the Kantenah lobby.

We would definitely return to this wonderful resort, even during hurricane season !

Thanks to all the staff !

• Stayed: October 2005
48  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,466)

Reviewed November 8, 2005

We arrived at the Colonial on Nov,1st. The entire area was still reeling from the damage wrought by hurricane Wilma. The ride from the airport was somewhat depressing seeing all of the damage. But when we arrived all of that dissapeared into a dream from Heaven. This resort is breathtakingly beautiful, and we nearly had the whole place to ourselves. Of a resort that most likly holds 1500 people plus, there were 20. The pools are beautiful, and huge. The staff takes care of you very well. They clean anything that doesn't move in 5 minutes. It is a lifetime experiance. The food is excellent. The buffet has more items then I have ever seen in an eating establishment in my life. It was all of premium quality, and heated/chilled as the food required. The snorkeling in this area is the best in the world. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone.

The only negative thing I can say about this resort is that the room refridgerators don't keep anything cold. But, there is an ice machine outside of every villa, so you might have to "rough it " a little bit ;>)

• Stayed: November 2005
37  Thank RavenMikeGrasonville
Reviewed October 31, 2005

I really don't understand how anyone could write a negative review of this resort! We arrived Oct 14th and were to stay until Oct 23rd, but Hurricane Wilma had other ideas! Even through that harrowing experience the staff and management were outsatnding.
First about the resort itself. I am a world traveler, and know what to expect from the best hotels. Everyone must remember that this is an AI--the food won't be 5 star, you don't pay $100+/couple for a great meal like you would at some of the finer establishments in the world. Having said that, the food was good--plently of choices, so if someone can't find something they like, well all I have to say is too bad. Many choices for all meals and the specialty restuarants were good, even though we only ate at the Mediterranean and Steak House. The steak was actually pretty good (remember you are in Mexico) and a good wine list if your willing to pay extra for this service.
The rooms were great. Stayed in a Mayan Suite (3106) on the Colonial side and it was nice with the outdoor shower. Due to the fact that Fiesta Hotels biuld within the surrounding flora and fauna the ocean was obscured by the 'jungle' (well at least until after Wilma passed through, then had a great 'ocean view'...). The pools were great, spent a lot of time at the adult pool, which was quite nice and peaceful, keep in mind that there will be some topless sun bathing, but this doesn't put me off, people are on vacation and should be able to do what they like--if you don't agree then don't go to this pool. There is a lot of walking, but this is OK especially on vacation where you tend to gain weight, helps keep it off a bit!
Staff was very friendly--to those who are friendly! Remember that they work for low wages, so bring a stack of $1 bills; it goes a long way in getting great service. Remember to also tip your helpers at the meals too, not just the bartenders.
OK. Now for Hurricane Wilma. Hit Friday, October 21st and the resort was well prepared as far as I am concerned. They have their own generator, water supply, and even 'shelter' so we even had hot meals by Saturday evening. After hearing some of the stories about the resorts in Cancun and the tourists evacuating to schools with no food, water or even bathrooms, we were safe, fed, and provided for (even though sleeping on marble floors for three nights was not very comfortable--but safety was never in question).
I would highly recommend traveling with Apple Vacations (thanks Judy and Maria (----) for a smooth ride the entire time. I didn't take on the air portion from Apple (I had tons of FF miles on USAirways so used them instead) but HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you do so, USA3000 (and Apple) got permission from the Mexican government to fly their planes in Tuesday (when the airport was officially closed) to get their people out. Being on USAirways (or any other commercial airlines) if you weren't willing to pay extra (cost me $2000 extra to get home Thursday Oct 27th) you might still be their today (Nov 1st) as they were flying out on a 'first come/first serve basis' because they had no computers, etc to confirm reservations.
All in all a beautiful property and great vacation despite Mother Nature at her worst!

• Stayed: October 2005
49  Thank jjacketti
Reviewed October 26, 2005

We booked with Apple Vacations for four nights for our 25th anniversary and stayed on the Colonial side. The room was very large and nice with a balcony that overlooked the tennis courts. We ate the first day at the buffet restaraunts which have extensive menus with choices to please most everyone. We had no problems with any of the food or water from any of the restaraunts. We made reservations for the Mediteranium and Steak House restaraunts and were given an extra night special dinner at the Mexican restaraunt with champaign and a fruit basket to the room as an anniversary special. The Hotel staff were always friendly and helpful. This place is large and spread out, so as long as you do not mind some walking getting around, it is good exercise to burn off some of the extra food that you eat. The pool is huge and wonderful and we spent two of the days around it. We also spent one day going to Chichén Itzá which was worth the trip and an afternoon shopping in Playa del Carmen which was not that great. The only disappointment was with the Apple representative who did not have the most up to date information and was more interested in booking higher priced tours that was available thru the hotel. We loved it and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2005
19  Thank Adventurer0ne
Reviewed October 24, 2005

My New Husband and I visited the The Grand Palladium Resort in
Riviera Maya for our Honeymoon from September 9-September 15.
We had a great time, but it was our honeymoon and we would have had a great time anywhere. The resort has the presentation part of the whole trip
really down. However, it lacks in actual substance. For instance, the food looks great on most occasions, but doesn't taste great. In fact, some of the things they they serve are downright scary. My husband had about 24 hours where he was really sick from something eaten, and it happened to be the day we had booked tours. There were several days when I was less than at my best. Although Apple refunded one of our tours because we couldn't take it due to illness, we didn't have time to re-book the tour. As a for instance, we were really looking forward to the "honeymoon dinner" and found that we were shocked by the number of honeymooners. On the menu for the night was "filet mignon". It sure looked and tasted like pot roast to me, which would have been fine if pot roast with gravy was what was on the menu.

We booked this trip because it was recommended to us, and were disappointed. Apple Vacations rated it high on their scale, and I wouldn't not
have given it 4 Golden Apples. For the price we paid, we expected a 5 star experience and did not have that experience at all.

When we chose this hotel, we didn't know anything about the ownership of the hotel chain. It turns out that the resort is owned by a company from Spain, which would explain the large percentage of guests from Spain. The vast majority were from Spain, plenty of Italians, and from there it was mostly Americans and some Germans and Canadians. We were both a little put off by the Spaniards.....most of them that we ran into were rude, and most of the time they don't act like they are on vacation, and they are having a good time. We were happy each time we ran into other American and Canadian guests (which didn't happen often), because it was nice to have people to talk to about our experiences.

One of the oddest things....when walking down narrow walkways, common courtesy and common sense would dictate that each party move over some to allow everyone to walk through. Not so with the Spanish guests. They won't budge an inch and will actually bump you! We realized NONE of them would move even slightly! My husband starting making a game of seeing if he could get people to say hello when we came across people on the path. Very rarely would they smile or say hello, hola, or anything else.

The other draw back is that the resort is so far out of any real "town".
So...if you book a tour or two, be prepared to really do some travelling. We enjoyed the Carribean cruize, but again, having to drive into Cancun to take it was kind of a pain, and we were the last on the van to be dropped off back at the Resort.

Our phone in our room stopped working at some point during the trip. That wasn't a problem at all until the last day, when we needed someone to come and get our bags. My Husband walked to the Adult pool to call someone, and we waited and waited and waited. We finally ended up going to check out and left our bags which were far to heavy to carry the distance to the lobby. They arrived about 2 seconds before we had to board the shuttle back to the airport. This was not a good last impression and left me feeling annoyed at the end of our trip.

We wanted great food and a great beach. We got a great beach, but not so great on the food side of things. The room was fine. We didn't spend a whole lot of time there anyway.

I wouldn't recommend this resort to anyone really. I think you are taking your life into your own hands with the food....expect to be violently ill as my husband and a few other guests were when we were there.

Let me know if you have specific questions!

cjcarricato at hotmail dot com

• Stayed: September 2005
17  Thank cjcarricato
Reviewed October 22, 2005

Decided to try the Palladium and was honestly quite dissapointed. I based my decisison on other reviews from this board. I have stayed a total of 5 different times and always stayed at the AI's. The food here was average- not any better or worse then other AI's I have stayed at. The beach- far worse, Playacar area has it beat hands down (except for Barcelo) Employees are friendly property is pretty but my main problem with this resort and the Barcelo as well is it is too far from anything. The option of picking up on a moments notice and heading into Playa for a drink on 5th is worth so much. Also, the entertainment in every AI is somewhat cheesy. It's fine for a show or two but after that I'll take the beautiful town of Playa Del Carmen any day. I suppose some folks don't mind being held up at one resort for 7-10 days, but I for one felt like a prisioner. Why vacation to such a beautiful area and limit yourself to one resort?? Don't get me wrong, the Palladium was nice enough and if it were located in Playacar, I would probably go back.

• Stayed: July 2005
14  Thank vhonodel
Reviewed October 20, 2005

My husband & I spent 8 days at Palladium, ending the day after Hurricane Emily - so I'll address that first.

Previous comments about poor service during the hurricane actually reflected problems with travel agents, rarely with hotel staff. And I have to mention that the Apple representative who was there the morning after the hurricane, had stayed on site DURING THE HURRICANE (!), and was unhelpful afterward mostly due to the fact that the hurricane had blown down the cellphone towers and he had no communication with anyone else. Also, the airlines were singularly uncommunicative, so I don't see that he could have done any more than he did. He was unfailingly courteous and apologetic.

During the hurricane, the hotel staff also stayed and provided immense help and safety for the tourists, when they could have gone home to their families. Some tourists seem to forget that the staff were probably worried sick about their own families and homes, and yet they cooked us breakfast and accepted complaints about the lack of amenities! It was a HURRICANE, folks!! I was immensely impressed with the preparedness and professionalism, not to mention the dedication, of the staff.

Hurricanes aside, this was the best vacation I have ever had, and I have travelled extensively. While the food was not spectacular, it was consistently very good, with moments of excellence -- the best that anyone can expect from a buffet. The property is (or was) truly gorgeous, the pool is amazing (especially the built-in lounge chairs), and Apple vacations had several tours available which were wonderful. We did the Chichen Itza tour -I can't recomment it enough! - , and the Jungle eco-tour, and the bar-hopping, we also visited Tulum and went on the snorkeling tour, and spent a day shopping in Playa. It was fabulous, and I hope that Hurricane Wilma spares the resort at least a bit so that we can go back!

• Stayed: July 2005