My husband & I spent 8 days at Palladium, ending the day after Hurricane Emily - so I'll address that first.
Previous comments about poor service during the hurricane actually reflected problems with travel agents, rarely with hotel staff. And I have to mention that the Apple representative who was there the morning after the hurricane, had stayed on site DURING THE HURRICANE (!), and was unhelpful afterward mostly due to the fact that the hurricane had blown down the cellphone towers and he had no communication with anyone else. Also, the airlines were singularly uncommunicative, so I don't see that he could have done any more than he did. He was unfailingly courteous and apologetic.
During the hurricane, the hotel staff also stayed and provided immense help and safety for the tourists, when they could have gone home to their families. Some tourists seem to forget that the staff were probably worried sick about their own families and homes, and yet they cooked us breakfast and accepted complaints about the lack of amenities! It was a HURRICANE, folks!! I was immensely impressed with the preparedness and professionalism, not to mention the dedication, of the staff.
Hurricanes aside, this was the best vacation I have ever had, and I have travelled extensively. While the food was not spectacular, it was consistently very good, with moments of excellence -- the best that anyone can expect from a buffet. The property is (or was) truly gorgeous, the pool is amazing (especially the built-in lounge chairs), and Apple vacations had several tours available which were wonderful. We did the Chichen Itza tour -I can't recomment it enough! - , and the Jungle eco-tour, and the bar-hopping, we also visited Tulum and went on the snorkeling tour, and spent a day shopping in Playa. It was fabulous, and I hope that Hurricane Wilma spares the resort at least a bit so that we can go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium Colonial are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, with the exception of the Royal Suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Palladium Hotel Group, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Colonial Hotel
- Hotel Grand Palladium Colonial
- Grand Palladium Mexico
- Palladium Colonial Resort
- Grand Palladium Spa
- Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico