Just returned from our second visit to the Palladium and third visit to the Roo in the past 3 years. Stayed at the Bahia in 2004 and Palladium in 2003.
As we were arriving August 21, we were concerned the effects of Emily may ruin our trip. For those of you concerned, don't be. Other than a few missing palapas, some banged up jungle and a fountain in the main lobby of the Colonial side not functioning, the resort is 100%. Based on what I had read and seen in photos posted here and on other sites, the repairs are quite an accomplishment.
A few general comments. First of all, we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation. As repeat visitors and having stayed at other AIs in Mexico and the Caribbean we were aware of what to expect in regards to food, facilities and the like. We choose to return to the Palladium because we felt, overall it had the most to offer our family. (Husband, wife and two boys 9 and 11). While the resort still offers loads of activities for all ages and terrific food, we felt that, unlike our previous visit, the finer details were lacking. For example.
1.Although we e-mailed the resort prior to arrival, indicating we were repeat clients and would like a king size bed none was provided. Although we saw many first timers receive upgrades as we waited at check in.
2.Had to call several times as houskeeping left only 2 or 3 towels although there were 4 of us in the room.
3.Pool was very dirty. Requested several times to have scum removed at entry stairs however was never done.
4.In the past, the staff was very friendly. Very few employees acknowledged or spoke to us.
5.Service at the buffet restaurants was POOR to say the least. Would be seated, serve ourselves food and be half way done eating before anyone would even ask if we wanted water or some other beverage. And we tipped! We even tried tipping as we sat down, prior to receiving any service and that did not help. After 2 or 3 days of this we just stopped tipping altogether. Left the US with every intention of tipping the $160.00 in singles we took, returned with almost $100.00. In addition several times when we did finally receive our drinks the stemware was chipped or broken and had to be returned therefore adding additional wait time for a beverage. There was no problem with the food at the buffets and as we had experienced during our previous visit, the variety and quality were exceptional. I must add here however, service at the Ala-carte restaurants was OUTSTANDING. We visited the Japanese, Mexican and SteakHouse and all three were great. The food and service were as good as we have seen at many high end restaurants in the US and better than almost any resort we have visited.
As indicated in the begining of the review, we had a wonderful trip We are hopeful the dip in service is only temporary and perhaps a result of the staff being overwelmed by hurricane recovery,however, we will probably not return to the Palladium until we can be sure these type of service issue are worked out.
On a final note, they are adding a very large addition to the resort and these new rooms will share the facilities of the existing resort. From our perspective this is not a good thing as there are currently issues handling the existing client base. Hopfully, the Palladium will get its act back together and return to the first class resort it should be and not just another AI in the jungle of AIs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium Colonial are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, with the exception of the Royal Suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Palladium Hotel Group, Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Colonial Hotel
- Hotel Grand Palladium Colonial
- Grand Palladium Mexico
- Palladium Colonial Resort
- Grand Palladium Spa
- Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico