“Just keeps getting better”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Got back from our 10 day holiday April 2014.

As this was our eighth visit we were given VIP gold coloured bracelets which meant we had certain advantaged i e unlimited reservations in the al a carte restaurants and also the Lobster dishes did not incur an extra charge, I think we had most of the advantages the Royal guests receive except for the accommodation.

The new improved kids facilities around the pool were a great hit with the children in our party and the kids club kept them entertained especially Karla and Anna but all the kids club staff were great.
The Raggs breakfast every Wednesday was awesome, the kids in our group loved it.

Again my husband and I stayed in a Mayan suite with the outside shower, brilliant, also there were loads of animals walking around the gardens which we loved to watch.

The shows in the evening were entertaining, even the ones we had seen on previous visits, it was nice to see Jun Carlos back with the Palladium Dancers.

I could go on and on so I'll just say this is a lovely hotel which feels like a home from home, can't wait to visit next year.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank HJB891
ColonialKantenah, DIRECTOR ADJUNTO/ASSISTANT MANAGER at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Greetings H J B,

Thank you for taking the time to share highlights of your eighth vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed once again our services and facilities.
We look forward to hosting you for many more vacations to come.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should we be able to assist you in any way.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I'll start with the positives, the resort is big with lots to do, everywhere is in walking distance, but there are golf buggy things if you want to take the more leisurely option. The beach is wonderful and right there as part of the hotel. The resort as a whole wasn't over crowded, no problem getting sunbeds or served at the bar. The food was nicely varied from day to day in the buffet restaurants, I'd say the best All Inclusive food we've had. The Al a Carte restaurants were all OK, The Teppanyaki restaurant being by far the best (on our first visit to this particular restaurant). Rooms were clean and tidy, but nothing special.

Now the service. The first week of our holiday we were made to feel very welcome with excellent service throughout the week, then something changed, as the second week went on the service dropped right off. It felt like a bit like a conspiracy. The teppanyaki resturant being a case in point, our first visit was excellent, very attentive, explaining what was for dinner, what to choose, the courses we were going to enjoy etc. The second visit our waiter was plain rude, he upset one of the children, didn't explain anything, missed the middle course (which the first time our youngest really loved) and couldn't get us out quick enough.

A visit to the beach sea food restaurant went further with the brutal service. A grunting waiter eventually showed us to our table after a discussion regarding whether we'd booked or not. Table wasn't set, Bread and water was taken from the table next to us (that was left by other diners) and given to us. We ordered a bottle of wine and our food, mine was a Tuna special. So the wine came, it was placed unopened in the ice bucket, 30 minutes later we were asked if we wanted the wine opening!! Parched isn't the word! Starters came, which were overcooked prawns in a fish stock in a cereal bowl (the prawns also had the poo pipe still in them) not what was on the menu... The starters were taken then immediately the mains were brought to the table COLD, the tuna special actually turned out to be Salmon.

These are a couple of examples, other things included (in the second week only) ... Intrusive waiter service, i.e. clearing plates before we'd finished, no coffee at breakfast, everyday we had to phone reception to get the minibar or the coffee restocked in the room... The list does go on

It still gets 4 stars because we kind of laughed it off, it became rather amusing in the end and we didn't let it spoil our holiday.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Ross L
ColonialKantenah, DIRECTOR ADJUNTO/ASSISTANT MANAGER at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Greetings Ross L,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your vacation with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our beautiful beaches and our facilities.
We regret that you experienced the issues you have highlighted and hope that you were able to enjoy the other elements of your vacation.
We appreciate your feedback as this is very important to us as it helps us in improving various aspects of our service.
We do hope that you will visit us again so that we can have an opportunity to demonstrate that these situations were isolated, as we strive to offer a consistently high level of customer service.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Grand Palladium. It was our second trip to Mexico but our first at the Grand Palladium.

After a very long flight we arrived hoping for a painless check in so we could get to our room and rest. After we checked in we were pointed to a desk where a guy was sitting with a resort map. We were given a thorough overview of the resort, the restaurants and the pools etc - all very useful. However, the useful overview quickly turned into a timeshare pitch about the Royal Suites and the benefits of timeshare. None of which we had any interest in, especially when we had only just stepped into the hotel. The Travel Club rep didn't seem to appreciate that we'd been travelling all day and were keen to get to our room. When we pointed this out, his attitude quickly changed and he became quite abrupt. It's fair to say it gave us a very poor first impression.

To add to this, when we were finally able to go to our room (an hour after we arrived at the hotel) we realised we hadn't been given our room keys so we then had to repeat the check-in process.

ROOM:
We were given a junior suite room in block 21 which we were very pleased with. Great central location and only a very short walk from the lobby, pool and beach. Room was a good size and although tired, it was perfectly adequate for our two week stay. House keeping were good and left flowers and towel animals everyday.

Half way through our second week we returned to our room to find the patio door had broken. Not sure if housekeeping did this as it was fine when we left that morning. We reported it to reception who said someone would come and look at it - as far as we know, nobody did.

FOOD:
Breakfast was fantastic with lots of choice. I particularly enjoyed the fresh smoothies whilst my husband liked the omelettes.

We really liked the non-reservation set up of the a la cartes restaurants. It meant we could pick and choose where we went and didn't have to pre-plan. We ate at the a la cartes almost every night and always had a good meal in nice surroundings. The time we ate varied from 6.30-9 but we only had to wait for a table twice - on those nights we just went to the bar for half an hour while we waited. We particularly liked the Bamboo (Chinese) restaurant and would like to make a special mention to Victor - he was the best waiter we experienced throughout our entire stay and one of our reasons for returning to the Bamboo restaurant several times. The Ribs n More was good too.

BEACH, POOL and GROUNDS:
Stunning beach with plenty of shade under palm trees and parasols. The sea was a good mix between sandy and coral - perfect for swimming, relaxing and snorkeling. My husband went snorkeling right off the hotel beach and saw lots of fish.

The pool was nice but we tended to spend most our time on the beach rather than the pool because we liked the sea breeze. There was never a problem getting loungers on the beach or by the pool whatever time we went - in fact we were surprised by how quiet the pool and beach actually were.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful and very well looked after. The hotel has a real authentic Mexican and jungle theme and we saw lots of wildlife - coatis, iguanas, exotic birds.

SPA:
We had a couple of days of rain during our stay so we visited the spa. Definitely worth a visit for a 'get away from it all' feel. I got my nails done whilst my husband had a day pass and used the gym, sauna, pool etc. Day pass is $10 but there were some problems with the heating the day we went so his day pass was free - bonus!

DRINKS:
I'm pregnant so I was pleased to see a wide range of alcohol free cocktails available. However, at least once a day I would be given a cocktail containing alcohol, even when specifying non-alcoholic and pointing to the alcohol free listing on the menu! The bar staff need to pay more care and attention to this and it became a real bug bare of mine as our holiday progressed. I saw many children going to the bar for non-alcoholic cocktails and wondered how many of those were inadvertently given alcohol by the bar staff.

SHOP and PHOTOGRAPHERS:
There are a number of shops in the Kantanah and White Sands lobbies selling souvenirs and essentials. I was most disappointed by the service I received in the Kantanah shop one day. The assistant said hola and asked how I was (in English). I replied in English saying i'm good thanks, how are you. He then started speaking Spanish (even though we'd just had a conversation in English) and got most offended when I didn't reply. I said, sorry I don't speak Spanish. He didn't say another word the entire time he was serving me. When I left I noticed i'd been given 100 pesos less change than I should have been. I went back in the shop to question it and as soon as he saw me coming in, he took the 100 pesos out of the til and handed it to me - this was obviously no accident. He was trying to pull a fast one hoping I wouldn't notice. Be careful in the shops and check your change carefully.

TRIPS:
We went to Xel Ha by taxi and had a fantastic day - thoroughly recommend. We also caught the collectivo to Akumal and swam with turtles - definitely worth spending a morning there. We also went on a Thomson excursion to Chichen Itza.

OVERALL:
Despite the niggles i've mentioned, we had a fantastic stay. Don't be put off by the size of the resort - it is very easy to find your way around and we found the sheer amount of choice available was fantastic. If you wanted you could spend every day at the hotel and have a different type of day due to the large number of pools, restaurants and areas of the beach. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CandAR03

Greetings CandAR03,

Thank you for taking the time to share details of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and facilities.
We appreciate your feedback as your comments will assist us in improving our services at the resort. Our management team has noted very seriously your comments in order to verify the points you have mentioned with the various departments.
We do hope that we will have another opportunity to host you again so that we can demonstrate that these incidents were an isolated case, as we strive to offer the highlest level of service consistently.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should we be able to assist you in the future.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

All around great resort, but unfortunately I ended up with stomach issues that may or may not have been a result of what I describe in the Food section below:

Grounds/Pools/Beach:
It's large, but easy to navigate. Lot's of shortcuts. There seemed to be enough room for everyone at both the pool areas and the beach (at least when I was there the first week of May). Pools are huge and the beach area is beautiful. The grounds/facilities were impeccable, set in a lush mangrove jungle with plenty of wild life. Colonial/Kantenah lobbies are lively at night.

Food:
There were so many food options and the a la cartes didn't require reservations (this is good if you are willing to eat at dinner at senior citizen hours - meaning early - not a big deal for me - I found it refreshing being able to just walk up to an a la carte at an all inclusive without a reservation). I do have a couple of complaints in this area. When I initially arrived at the resort, I found the food to be superior to what I had experienced at a previous resort. However, by my second full day, I began experiencing stomach issues that ended up lasting two weeks. I am not necessarily blaming the resort for this, as they seem to be taking steps to prevent food born illnesses by squirting anti-bacterial lotion in your hand when entering restaurants.

I believe it may be fellow tourists that may be contributing to stomach issues, as I noticed several individuals do their business in restrooms without washing their hands. These "individuals" then proceeded to touch the serving spoons at the buffet. Wash your hands after using the restroom people!!!! Didn't your mommy teach you this?

Also, I noticed older European men poking (yes - with their bare "possibly unwashed" fingers) at meat/fish in the hot trays at the buffet. Not sure what the point of this was, but it certainly wasn't very hygienic (TIP: when at a buffet - always scoop your food from the very back of the tray). May have been the same individuals who didn't bother washing their hands after using the restroom.

The resort is not completely free from fault. Two things: 1) There is only one stall in the men's restroom in the Colonial buffet. How do you justify this with all of the people who experience stomach issues in Mexico? While using the one stall (stomach issues), I could hear someone else puking in the urinal since there was no where else to do it - they were kind enough not to use one of the sinks. 2) The breakfast omelet lady in the Colonial buffet uses the same hand to crack eggs and then grab cheese from a big pile. Salmonella?

I'm sure those who don't experience stomach issues will enjoy the food, as there is a large variety and the quality is decent (except for the pasta dishes at the Italian restaurant - trust me on this one - terrible).

Bars:
Lots of them! Drink quality is what you would expect at an all inclusive. The bartenders were all great and friendly. Drink quality was superior in the Hemmingway bar, but OK everywhere else.

Rooms:
I stayed in the Colonial section, which is due for a refresh. The rooms were a bit dated, but nice enough. Housekeeping was really good and mopped the floors daily. My only complaint would be the odd pillows on the beds. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they purchased them since they are like hard cubes that can throw out your neck out of whack.

Staff:
Fantastic! Every staff I came across (except one lady at the front desk) was friendly and very hospitable.

Summary:
Despite my complaints above, I truly feel this is great resort and will return. They are doing almost everything right. I will just be more careful (use sanitary wipes to handle buffet serving spoons) when in the restaurants given what I witnessed regarding the hygiene practices of other tourists. I may also skip the omelet lady at breakfast too.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank cmd
ColonialKantenah, DIRECTOR ADJUNTO/ASSISTANT MANAGER at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Greetings cmd,

Thank you for sharing details of your vacation experience with us.
We regret that you experienced stomach issues and we wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
We are delighted that you enjoyed our breathtaking beaches, beautiful grounds and our friendly service staff.
Our management team has noted very seriously your comments as your feedback will help us in improving our services throughout the resort.
We look forward to hosting you for more vacations to come, as such kindly advise us prior to your next arrival.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

On may 25th through may 29th my wife and I and 6 other couples came to this resort for a 4 day vacation. The experiance was least to say pleasant. As we arrive it seems things were ok until we get to our building 1500. The smell was hideous and was the most disguesting smell I would have ever expected to have experienced on my vacation. It looked as if the sewer was connected to the sprinkler system outside of our
building. It was seeping out of the sprinkler head and had a bunch of slime oozing out of it into a puddle running into the grass. Then as we were trying to enter our room a huge Aguana came out from underneath the doorway of the room. My wife about fainted. After that encounter she was afraid to go out of the room or anywhere on the resort where the Aguanas were. So that pretty much ruined the trip for her. Once we get to our room it was nice to say the least but there were a few issues with it also. The pillows were like travel pillows that were hard as a rock and the mini fridge was iced up and wasnt cooling and the drinks in it were warm. The hair dryer only ran for 3 seconds and would just shut off. We reported it and it took 2 days for it to get replaced. One of the other couples that were with us room A/C wasnt working well and we reported it immediately and as of the 25th when we were leaving it still hadnt been repaired. So for 4 days they had to sleep in a room that was 85 degrees for their vacation. So once we get settled we decide to go to the beach and low and behold the beach is on the other side of the resort. Probably 1/4 mile away from our rooms. Half the staff couldnt speak or understand English. The food was mediocre and to try and get reservations in any of the restaurants you should schedule them when you book your trip. It is almost impossible to get reservations. The brunch would be your best bet at eating.The pool was really nice and well maintained but the bar staff at the pool were rude and made you wait forever to get a drink. Im not so sure that they use real alcohol at any of the bars either. I would ask for the top shelf and extra alcohol in my drinks and I never once felt intoxicated. I was drinking from a 32oz. Cup all day long and never once felt drunk. Not sure if the alcohol is real proofed alcohol or what but I should have been so drunk I couldn't walk. Finally we get to the beach and it was very nice. Very nice scenery. Needless to i say I was completely disappointed in the resort as a whole. I dont know if I would return for another vacation.

• Stayed: May 2014
9  Thank hntin4deer
ColonialKantenah, DIRECTOR ADJUNTO/ASSISTANT MANAGER at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Hello hntin4deer,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We regret that your vacation experience was less than satisfactory with us.
We would like to comment that we are at your disposal throughout your vacation in order to ensure that you will have a great stay with us.
Our management team has noted your comments in order to assist us in improving our services.
It would be a pleasure to host you once more in order to demonstrate that your experience was an isolated case.
Please do not hesiate to contact us should we be able to assist you in any way.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is our second time staying here, and it is a fabulous resort and covers such a wide area there is always somewhere to walk to and find something new. You can never be bored, it is wonderful going to a resort where you can do a lot of walking. If you so wish there is a train that can take you around. The staff are all hard working and please treat them with the respect they deserve.
Just one small little niggle, my husband and I liked the Churchill Bar to sit in and have a quiet drink,it is our sort of thing, but sometimes we had to wait quite some time for a barman to appear and at times people walked out as there was no one to serve them. Maybe they are required elsewhere?anyway all in all a wonderful place.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Kantanah side very nice rooms
1  Thank ElizabethAdam

Greetings ElizabethAdam,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you had another wonderful experience on your second visit.
We look forward to hosting for more vacations to come.
Our management team has noted your comments in order to aid us in improving our services at the resort.
We look forward to hosting you soon, as such please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your next arrival.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We returned this week from a 2 week stay at the Grand Palladium, what an amazing place!! We were lucky coming out of Cancun airport very quick and easy and straight on the Thomson coach to the hotel. Check in was a little long winded but no problem and we were given a welcome drink.

Our room was in the Colonial part of the hotel which was an excellent location as we were quite central to everything. The room was very dated but not as massive issue as we don't spend too much time in the room! Mini bar was a nice touch, but they did start forgetting to top it up towards the end of our stay.

The pools & beach were great, constantly saw the pool boy cleaning to keep it in good condition.

Food & drinks were really good, sparkling wine & strawberry daiquiri were my favourites! We tried all the a la carte's, ribs and more was the best in my option.

All the bar staff we excellent, we never had to wait long for a drink. I noticed a few Americans and Candians being very rude to the staff while ordering drinks, talking to them like rubbish. Just be polite, it's easy!!!!!!

The only negative I have is about the maid who cleaned our room, some days it was barely touched just the bed was made and on one of our last days she decided to help herself to a product from my make up bag which I left on the desk. I thought I was going mad on first look but after turning the room upside down it was 100% gone. I have never had a problem with the maids on any other holiday so it is a bit of a shame.

Overall it was a fantastic honeymoon!

1  Thank xxem88xx

Greetings xxem88xx,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are very happy you shared such a special occasion such as your honeymoon with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our pools, beaches, food and beverage services.
We regret that your stay was less than satisfactory with us at the resort. As such, we would like to have more information so that we can make the necessary checks to verify this situation.
We do hope that you will consider visiting our resort once again, so that we can demonstrate that this was an isolated incident.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should we be able to assist you in anyway.