“can't wait to return”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 28, 2014

we are returning to the colonial/kantenah after missing it last year, this will be our 3rd visit and we cannot wait for our. 2 weeks of heaven on earth, Everything was superb from check in to check out, the beach is fantastic, food was great expect to put on a few pounds.
all i can say is IT IS BRILLIANT,if you are thinking about going just book it you wont be disappointed.
Cannot wait to go back in 11 days

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Diane D
ColonialKantenah, DIRECTOR ADJUNTO/ASSISTANT MANAGER at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Hello Diane D,

Thank you for returning to the Palladium resorts for a third visit.
We appreciate your gracious comments regarding your previous stays.
Please feel free to contact us and let us know if there is anyway that we could assist you prior to your arrival.
We look forward to seeing you in the upcoming days and wish for you another fantastic vacation experience with us.
See you soon!

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is a large spread out resort connected by covered pathways and golf cart styled transport. Numerous pools, bars and restaurants that cater to families and couples alike. Great facilities for kids with adult only pools for those that want some peace and quiet. Close to Tulum and Koba . Be aware that it is about an hour and a half from Cancun airport by bus. Rooms are decent and staff is friendly and helpful although getting money from the front desk can be slow as there is usually one person doing checkouts and cash so check the lineups as you pass by or wait until you go into Playa del Carmen where the exchange rate is better. Good bus service. The buffet food is okay but disorganized but most of the ala cart restaurants do not require a reservation. Great beach, shallow and warm with a water side salt water pool.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water are quieter than those facing the travelled pathways and those away from the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank splitrman

Greetings splitrman,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are happy that you enjoyed our pools, bars, facilities for kids and friendly service staff.
Our management team makes note of your feedback, as your comments will help us to improve our facilities and services.
If there is anything in the future that we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us as we would be happy to help.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My family (15 members) and I stayed at the Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa over spring break. Now, I am ready to move to Mexico for good. The staff was made up of the most hard-working, friendly people I have ever met in my life. The resort and beach were beautiful and clean. The ocean and Salt-Water Pool were pretty good for snorkeling as well. The nighttime shows were fantastic, and entertained people of all ages and cultures. During the day, there were fun, unique activities that guests could partake in or watch if they so wished. My good friend, Ramón López, taught a fun Zumba class, and later taught my mom and I how to dance the Salsa. He is an amazing dancer, and a very friendly, fun-loving person. My family and I all agreed that we should have at least stayed for two weeks, as there was so much we still wanted to do. Everyone from my two year-old cousin, to my seventy-one year-old grandma enjoyed every moment of our visit. For me, this vacation was a life-changing experience. The memories I made there I will treasure for the rest of my life. I definitely plan on returning again this summer.

6  Thank Lauren J

Greetings Lauren J,

Thank you for sharing your family vacation experiences with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our beautiful grounds, friendly service staff and daily activities. We will definitely inform Ramon of your gracious comments. We do look forward to hosting you once again this summer, as such kindly advise us prior to your next arrival.
If there is anything that we can help you with in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
See you soon!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We just returned from a week at the Grand Palladium Colonial. April 17th to April 24th. We were a group of 8 adults, all family. This was my second time at the GPC, and the 5th time for one of the other couples we were with. Overall, our experience was great with a couple of exceptions.
The last time I was at the GPC it was new and only the Colonial and the Kantenah had been constructed.... The resort is huge and sprawling. It was a little overwhelming for a few in our group, due to the amount of walking you had to do just to get to our rooms, beach, restaurants. The train helps when hopping from one hotel lobby to the other. We did have free wifi in our room. The tv didn't work well.....not that we watched it much.

We had requested rooms in the same building but they were not able to accomodate this request. So we all in different buildings. From villa 1 to villa 5. Our room was on the 3rd floor of villa 4. One of the major concerns we had right off the bat was when the power went out an hour after we arrived our first evening. I realize that power outages are out of anyone's control, but when the lights went out, there didn't appear to be any emergency lighting anywhere..... No back up generators. We happened to be walking a pathway to the main lobby and couldn't see two feet in front of us. Some people were using the light from their cell phones to light the way.

House keeping was a little lacking. Our room had a smell upon first entering, but it probably had been closed up for a while and not used. We didn't have any air conditioning for the first two days which meant sleeping was very uncomfortable. The phone didn't work and the lamp on the desk flickered when used because the electrical cord was frayed. I unplugged it. We were told the next morning the a/c wasn't working because of the power outage on the first night and would be fixed that morning. By that evening it was still not repaired. We checked with our neighbours on either side and their a/c was working fine. Again, we went to the front desk to inquire and we again told it was because of the power outage and it would be fixed by the next day. We asked if we could be moved another room but that request was immediately denied. A repair crew was sent and within 1/2 hour the A/c was working. We left a tip every day for the maid but we didn't really get anything extra from her. We had dirty glasses left on the desk for 4 days that were never removed, there was sand left on the floor and the fridge wasn't restocked daily. The lobby seating was uncomfortable and needs updating.

The positive - the food was good with tons of variety. We ate at the steak house, Mexican, Brazilian and the Italian. All were very good. The bar staff in the lobby were fantastic....they really appreciate tips. The beach is awesome and the staff are always cleaning, picking up garbage left behind. We didn't go to the pool areas but they appeared to be clean and lots of loungers were available there and on the beach. There is a large children's area now that wasn't there when were there last.

Towards the end of our stay it was apparent the hotel was full to capacity. There were plane loads of students that arrived. We were literally trampled one evening when trying to board a train to go back to the lobby. They travel in packs and would block doorways and pathways....a people problem, not a resort problem.

We were told the Colonial was going to be updated this year, as the Kantenah side was recently updated.

Overall, it was a great vacation. But we would probably go to another resort next time.

3  Thank chicki35
ColonialKantenah, DIRECTOR ADJUNTO/ASSISTANT MANAGER at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Greetings chicki35,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you returned for another vacation and enjoyed our restaurants.
Our management team has noted your comments as they will help us in making improvements to our services.
It is our hope that you would consider our resorts for another vacation so that we could be given the opportunity to demonstrate that these incidents were isolated, and that we are committed to giving the best service on a consistent basis.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should there be anything in the future that we can help you with.

Accommodations Manager

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We travelled to Grand Palladium Colonial out of Ottawa, on April 5th.
We are two gals (well) past the age of majority and I estimate that this was my 25th trip "south" in the past 15 or 20 years.

Let's start with some of the bad. Departure flight delayed by more than 3 hours. A couple of reasons for this - one being the removal of an (allegedly) drunk young man from the plane, prior to departure. We had to remove his luggage as well, so this of course, took extra time. Not fun when the young friend or girlfriend of the ejected passenger begins to sob and wail when she finds out, and of course it takes awhile to calm her down. Second reason for delay is due to some problem with an antenna that can only be accessed through the passenger cabin. Six rows of passengers "deplaned" to accommodate two workmen arriving on board to fix the problem. In typical Canadian fashion, problem is eventually resolved through the use of duct tape. Despite our growing annoyance, we did manage to have a good laugh over this.
So off we finally go, arriving at our destination much later than planned.

The good: The resort is lovely and clean with a nice pool and a decent beach (although on this section there is a bit of erosion). Water is that perfect Caribbean blue and there are only a few rocks in the water -which can be easily seen. For the most part, the sea bed is smooth, firm and sandy underfoot. We jumped into the water many times a day and just loved it.

Oops - now back to a bit of bad: while at the resort, they experienced a problem with the room cards. They would deactivate without notice. This would not be a problem if the resort were not so large and spread out. Sometimes when the card would not work, we would hop a little tram that travels around the resort and go back to the lobby and be issued a new card. Other times we were not that lucky and had quite a walk. This did not ruin our vacation (as a previous reviewer announced) but it was a real annoyance. Not the kind of thing you want to experience when you need to "go" or have some young, overtired children in tow.

Food -very decent. I can't bring myself to describe it as great, but there certainly is an excellent selection of food. A bit of quantity over quality, but there is definitely something to please everyone. My friend T. praised the fish offerings and she loves the grouper that frequently appeared at the buffet.

The wonderful: My good friend T had a birthday while we were in Mexico. She loves seeing the local wildlife, and on the morning of her birthday, we sat out on the balcony drinking coffee. Suddenly a little coatimundi (looks like a possum) arrived at the foot of the balcony. We happened to have a cookie and bread that we had put aside for feeding the fish, when this cute little thing stood on his hind legs and begged for food. We had to oblige. Within a minute or two, 13 of his coatimundi friends had come out of the brush to join him! (I did a head count!) I told T that this was definitely a birthday gift for her.

Also in the "wonderful" category is the warmth and friendliness of most of the staff. When I happened to mention to several staff members that it was T.'s birthday, they typically jumped up to hug her and wish her well. Very genuine and very sweet.

In the category of weird, I have to mention an incident with a few guests. It was of course T's birthday (when all strange and wonderful things happened) and we were returning from a long and glorious day at the beach. We stopped at the pool for a quick drink and swim. I estimate it was about 6 p.m. I looked up, and happened to see two young men streak by us (and I do mean "streak") who were wearing only g strings, a chain, and large bunny ears decorated in gold. Gives new meaning to the term "all inclusive" vacation, lol! I suspect this was part of some college prank as I believe the two "bunnies" were part of a contingent of Spanish students celebrating the end of the college year. Anyway, strange but true.

Out of the weird and back to the good: in the lobby of the Colonial every evening there was a live band. One night the band played 80's and 90's hits and the two old gals got up to give our aging booties a shake. Great fun. The music was a bit different every night and we thought it was a great feature of the hotel.

Our week long trip came to a quick end, and I am happy to report that we had a smooth and timely return back to Ottawa. Not sure I would want to travel again with Sunwing, though. Always some problem or other, in my experience.

All in all, we thought the hotel was quite good, and could certainly recommend it for a beach holiday. Not sure I would return, but only because there are many lovely resorts yet to try.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ottawagal62

Greetings Ottawagal62,

Thank you for taking the time to share highlights of your vacation experiences with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our wildlife, friendly service oriented staff and that your friend had a wonderful birthday with us. We do express sincerest apologies regarding the issue you highlighted and hope that this did not affect your overall experience.
We would be happy to host you once more, as such please advise us prior to your next arrival.
Should there be anything in the future that we can assist you with, please do not hesitate as we would be happy to assist.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We just came back Grand Palladium resort, revisiting it after 7 years ! Our last visit was fantastic and that's why we came back. The place is still beautiful and inviting . Plus we got to enjoy a few perks as guests of a Travel Club member . All would be good .. Only we all came back with raging stomach infections . I missed work, my kid missed school. It's been a week and our stomachs still a mess . None of us drank water there and we were avoiding iced drinks as well . All precautions taken , and still we got badly sick.
As of service : very laid back,
Our Travel Club concierge who promised to be available 24/7 was never to be reached even during business hours . He was at least 20 min late for mere 2 meetings we set up. Annoying .
The food was acceptable , service not bad, beds and pillows horribly hard ( I was waking up with daily neck / headaches). Resort has a beautiful spa, pricey though. Beach is very nice, lots of animal around . Fun for kids , although no one was reinforcing " no topless" rule , and I had to do some education with children . Will think twice before coming back ( only because poor water and food sanitation ). Vacation and the price we pay for it, should not include stomach bugs!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Ellana S

Hello Ellana S,

Thank you for taking the time to share higlights of your vacation experience with us.
We would like to extend our sincerest apologies regarding the issues you have highlighted.
Our management team has taken very seriously your comments and as such we would appreciate it if you could find the time to provide us with some more information so that we can make the necessary verifications.
Please visit our hotel website, there is a customer service option that allows you to send us the information directly. The more information that we have will help us to make the necessary checks required to verify this type of situation.
Nevertheless, please do not hesitate to conatact us if in the future there is anything that we can assist you with.
We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Have just returned from a family holiday to the Palladium. It was our first time but their second here. What a surprise, it is a fantastic resort. The food in the Buffett and restaurants were always first class and plentiful. The staff are very polite and helpful. We were in block 9 in the Colonial, this was a perfect place, quite and close to all amenities. We will def be back next year, (hopefully we can stay in the same block) maybe with even more family this time. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel, we'll worth a visit.

4  Thank Karen R
ColonialKantenah, DIRECTOR ADJUNTO/ASSISTANT MANAGER at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Greetings Karen R,

Thank you for sharing highlights of your family vacation experience with us.
We are very happy you and your family had a great stay and we look forward to hosting you once more.
Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future should there be anything that we can assist you with.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Accommodations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
#29 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!