“amazing”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I was advised by a friend who had recently visited the resort in November, what a great place it was to go. This is our 3rd visit to Mexico,so yes we like it, climate people everything really. I was apprehensive about the journey from the airport as it is roughly 1 hour. When we arrived at the resort the journey there had already been forgotten. It truly is wow, check in was I little issue ,there was 4 of us travelling, myself, partner and 2 children, we were down in a kingsize room but when we got to our room, we had 2 double beds, everything was great. We travelled here with our RCI points which we have after our initial holiday to mexico 2008,we ended up with a timeshare.We have travelled extensively with this system and had great holidays, but this is far more superior to our own timeshare, which is small in comparison . The pools are great, the food is fantastic and plenty of choice. Only thing is you have to wait for tables at the a la carte restaurants which can be long winded in the steak house more than any other, especially with children. You can choice to eat in the buffets so you do not go with out eating. I would love to return and im sure we will.

Room Tip: we were in colonial rooms 1706 ,so good position for the white sands resort were most of the a la ca...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank jayneewilliams
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear jayneewilliams,

I am glad to know that you and your family have had a nice stay with us. Thank you for your comments.

Have a nice day!!

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,510)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to this resort and our 5th at the Palladium group.
It is our favorite resort and we have NEVER been disappointed at all but this time
we were with a few things.
So let's start with those items.

(1) WIFI =These days our family REQUIRES WiFi to stay in touch with our family and friends back home.
The lobby wifi at ALL lobbies was terrible and almost non-existent !
I got the standard excuses "we are working on it" or "there is no problem" etc etc.
Then I saw PG FREE WIFI network showing on the last few days we were there and kept getting different answers for that not working from "oh, that is only for White Sands" or "that is not working yet" because it is new.
Finally I got a clear and true answer. The FREE WIFI was by way of a generated password when you checked in starting on Feb 25. We checked in on Feb 22 and were told because of that we do not get FREE wifi !!!
This was not fair !! Especially for loyal guests. I finally had to buy expensive room WIFI ($56 USD PER DEVICE !!!) and it was also quite spotty most of the time.

(2) RUDE CHECK IN = We arrived and had pointed out politely to the check in person that we requested an ocean view room and that in all of our Palladium stays we never had an ocean view room. The guy said in a very nasty voice "If you have been here many times then you should KNOW there are NO ocean view rooms here !" .
Since we NEVER STAYED IN OR REQUESTED ONE,,,,,,HOW WOULD WE KNOW THAT ???
Every other desk person we ever met at any Palladium was kind and cheerful. This guy was like a robot in his communication and does not seem happy. Won't say his name but it started with an A and ended with an O. I really had to mind my temper and not ruin my vacation but this guy should not be welcoming guests.

(3) WRONG ROOM = We noticed that our check in paperwork had a note indicating "Upgrade" which we thought was nice. But when we got to our room it was NOT an upgrade and in fact there was a letter on the desk welcoming somebody else (not our family).
I called hoping not to get the same clerk but I got him anyway and he basically said "Nope, that is your room". Finally after speaking with the concierge in the morning (and after sending the manager an e-mail) we found out that this other person got our upgrade and we got his standard room/ level of service but nothing was done about it. To add insult to this my wife was not able to get robes because our room was only standard level of service. Finally we got the robes after asking the room guy (maid) who was very nice.
As for our room, we had lights not working half the time and a phone that is half broken.
3 times we came back to our room to find the drinks not restocked which is unfair since we always tip 5 times the normal amount indicated by other guests !!!
We kept asking to speak to a manager on these few matters but all but one time we were told they were not available. I am certain one will respond to this post though, funny how that works.

Now for the good because there is a lot of good:

The resort is awesome !
Large and well laid out and has everything you want.
99% of the staff are super nice and the remaining 1% are not rude (except the guy indicated above).
The food is the BEST and there is so much variety that even the fussiest pickiest eater could find lots. Even ice cream for the kids at the pool which is AWESOME !
All the resort is kept spotless and when it rains they get to work right away on keeping it dry and safe.
The shows are amazing and the dancers work VERY hard !
I must compliment the following staff:
Fortunado at Hacienda (the guy seems quite serious but he really works hard at keeping things rolling and keeping the guests happy)

Viridiana and Anameli at Pool Grand Azul (these ladies are also very good leaders and keeping things moving and keeping the guests happy) I was especially impressed with Viridiana, she is a "working leader" who is not afraid to do the work and supervise at the same time as well as make time to genuinely be nice to the guests.

Isidro at Hacienda, this guy works his butt off ! He also keeps his eye out for the guests in case they need something (more coffee etc).
All of his colleagues are quite good too.

Marino ? Miniro ? Riviera desk: Tried really hard to help me deal with wifi problems

Jorge -Riviera: A great and personable bartender.

Pedro (one of the performers in the show and pool entertainment) In each of the years we have been here there has never been a more friendly and happy guy ! He always makes you feel like you ARE ON VACATION ! Probably the finest of the staff on all the resorts.

Raul (also one of the main performers). Another great guy who puts on an amazing show. Nice to see he was still here.

Marcos-Bamboo : Great waiter, the best we had

Augustin -Eldorado : Another great waiter. Nice guy, keeps the wine full and always making sure you get all you need.

All the Maintenance crew: These guys do great job, always working away keeping the resort nice

Jose and Martha at Pool restaurant Grand Azul: Very hard working and nice. Very attendant.

Omelette guy at Kabah : Wish I could remember he name. He is awesome ! He keeps the line moving and perfect eggs everytime. If you want to know how good he is at his job, go to the other breakfast buffets and wait for your omelette in the long lines and watch them burn.

So there is so much good. Just wish they could have had a Manager there for me to deal with personally since I keep recommending this place and sending my friends, family and coworkers there !

Room Tip: The higher the floor the quieter. Late and better shows are at Riviera. The 20 series buildings at C...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank hiplainsdrifters
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear hiplainsdrifters,

I would like to offer you my apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. I can't to change anything now but I will see this with the front desk manager and similar situations don't occur in the future.

Regarding the wi-fi, we are working now in a new system and our guests have free wi-fi in the lobbys and rooms. I am sorry the inconveniences that you have had with this.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with me if I can help you with anything in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Had a great 2 weeks at the Palladium back in November and have already booked to return this year! Having travelled to different hotels over the years this is the first time we have ever booked to go back to the same place! The hotel had so much to offer and really does have something for everyone. The staff are brilliant special thanks to Maria and Denise from the Colonial bar and Checko, Mikey, Luis and Miguel who entertained us most days by the pool and we're always friendly, fun and helpful morning noon and night! The choices this hotel offers are great the restaurants (best buffet restaurant we have ever experienced) the bars/drinks the entertainment really does mean there is something to suit all. The grounds although large are well kept and the wildlife wandering about was entertaining! Walking around the grounds was not a problem but once you discovered the short cuts everywhere was easily accessible!
Went on a couple of excursions would definitely recommend the Dolphin experience at Xel Ha.
Segways were fun and Joey Essex as we called him was always whizzing past with a smile on his face!
We are counting the days until our return to enjoy another 2 weeks with amazing staff at a great hotel that really does meet all expectations!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dawn D

Dear Dawn D,

It's a pleasure to know that you have had a nice stay with us. Thank you for your confidence and choose one more time Grand Palladium for enjoy your next vacation.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was our third year of travelling as a large family group, ranging in age from 2 to 82, and this resort did not disappoint. It had something for everyone and accommodated our littlest traveller up to our older travellers.

Check-in was painless. It wasn't too busy when we arrived and it went smoothly. We were even offered a free upgrade to a Junior Suite as they saw we had 2 kids with us. We ended up declining because we wanted to stay in the same building as the rest of our family. And yes, they did honour our request for us all to be in the same building, we were 5 rooms in total all in the same building with 3 of us on the same floor. We e-mailed about a week in advance and they had no problem making it happen.

The rooms are dated but they are big and spacious. Lots of room for a family of 4 and all of our stuff. It's in the jungle so we brought a tub of Damp-Rid which did the trick to suck the moisture and humidity from the room and it took up little room in our suitcases. Our rooms were spotless every day, our mini fridge was stocked and one day the fridge stopped working so I filled out the card and hung it on the door to indicate it was broken and it was fixed the same day.

The staff was great. The bartenders and restaurant staff were very helpful. The entertainment staff seemed low key and not as engaged compared to other resorts I've been to. The Iberostar entertainment crew seem to interact with guests more and go out of their way to get guests involved in activities. Again this is personal preference on what you want.

The restaurants were fantastic. The food in the buffet had lots to offer everyone. We ate at a couple of the a la cartes. As we were with the kids we didn't mind the 5:30 seating and lining up to be first wasn't an issue. They are very accommodating with allergies. Send them an e-mail in advance with the details of the allergies and when you arrive you'll be given a card to show in all the restaurants which details your allergies. The chef's will then show you what you can and cannot have. I loved that as you came in you were offered hand sanitizer.

The grounds were immaculate. I love all the animals roaming free. I just wish people would respect the signs and not feed them. The beach was beautiful. White sand and nice waves. Not very rocky. You could even snorkel right off shore as they had a living reef with tons of fish and sea creatures. The seagulls on the beach are annoying and aggressive but this is because there are annoying people feeding them both on the beach and in the water. It ruined the experience a few times until the feeding stopped. But, this is not the resorts fault, there are rude and inconsiderate people everywhere and contrary to some previous reviews by Europeans the rude people are not all Americans and Canadians. Rudeness transcends every culture and country!

Would absolutely go back to this resort. I loved how big it was, the walking was nice after all the food and drinks! My kids had no issues with walking, they are 2 and 5. My grandparents had no major issues with walking and took the shuttle when necessary and my grandmother even had knee replacement surgery before we went!

If you have any questions or want more details just message me.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Ashley C

Dear Ashley C,

Thank you for your time. I appreciate your good comments.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was our 8th visit to the Grand Palladium, it gets better every time. Special Thanks to Francisco at the Sport Bar, Pedro at the Colonial swim up bar, and Javier at Hemmingway. As always the grounds were beautiful. Drinks and food at the Palladium are fabulous, something for everyone any age. Visited the SPA for first time and it was first class. Very large resort, but there is always a short cut to get to anything in just a few minutes or take the Train. LOVE this resort. Advise "GO" you won't be disappointed!

See everyone next year.

Room Tip: Mayan suites are Great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bessili11
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Bessili11,

I am glad to know that you have had again a nice stay with us. Thank you for your confidence in us. I will share your opinion with the rest of the team.

Thank you to you for your time and for your good comments.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Nice resort, horrible wedding planning experience . DO NOT HAVE YOUR WEDDING HERE!!!!!!
wedding planner had zero customer service skills and zero interest in helping us plan our wedding. I would definitely not reccomend any one to plan their wedding at this resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Traveler10868

Dear Traveler10868,

Thank you for your comments. I can respect your point of view but, if you can share with me your situation so that I can give you an answer.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Just done two weeks here,its our 2nd time,excellent,well staffed,clean,reps were there if you needed them,just two sort of niggly pain were the beds in colonial with protective plastic mattress covers,noisey when turning over,and the mattress was hot,sweaty,and the other thing was the seating area after eating,where the checking in is done,not enough seating,but yes l am coming back next year,done my 1st snorkeling with turtles,photos are great,thanks

Room Tip: Pull the cover off the mattress,ha ha
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear patriciaharris,

It's a pleasure to know that you have had a good second stay with us.