“Great Holiday at the Grand Palladium”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday at the Grand Palladium”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Sorry I'm just getting around to writing this...

My partner and I stayed here in late June. I would echo what most people have said. The complex is huge, clean with lots of beautiful food to eat.

As a fussy eater, I never went hungry at the Grand Palladium. The staff are so hardworking and attentive. Remember a small tip goes a long way!

The wildlife at the Grand Palladium was an added bonus. The racoons and kotis kept us entertained throughout the day.

My only gripe with the resort was the nightly entertainment. However, I believe it just wasn't to my taste as all shows were always well attended and most people enjoyed them

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chatterbox_scotland
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear chatterbox_scotland,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments.

Have a nice day!!!

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Polish first
Newcastle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Let me just start by saying we stayed here during the 3rd - 17th September and had terrible weather! Rain for the full stay and a max of 12hrs sun in 14 days (this was our 4th time in Mexico at this time of year and have never seen rain like it) so this could bias my review.
I had emailed the hotel to let them know it would be my birthday & our wedding anniversary during our stay & we were given a bottle of champagne, nice you might say. Well it would have been if it had been in our room on arrival, no it was delivered to our door at 9:30pm (3:30am UK time) while we were trying to sleep after being up from 4am and endured a 12hr flight to get there!
On our first day after the reps meeting we walked the grounds to get a feel for the place and all I can say is what a disgrace. The grounds were dirty with leaves & rubbish left on the pavements and no sign of any groundsman. There are a lot of little wooden walkways and bridges which are in urgent need of repair, this is not a recent thing either as they have been mentioned in a lot of prior reviews. The wooden bridges across the pool & river felt very unsafe and you are unable to hold on to them in places due to them crumbling and being covered in fungi.
We spent what sunshine time we had around the adults only pool in the white sands section, this was nice but again dirty ground around the pool and the loungers are for the most part falling apart and looked like they had never been cleaned.
The room
We stayed in the colonial side and the room was very basic and again in need of a good clean (our balcony was not cleaned once during our stay which I reported to our rep). The bathroom was so dark as was the rest of the room. You do get a safe in your room which is free however in a 5 star hotel you would believe that if you did forget to put something in the safe it would be fine NO!! On our 4th day I discovered that our camera had gone missing (stolen) from our room! I reported this to our first choice rep and was told this could not be possible as all staff are searched when they leave the resort (if this does not happen why are staff being searched!!) but he would investigate and give us a report so we could claim on our insurance. After chasing this 4 times I was given a 1 paragraph report and told it wasn't possible that it was stolen from our room.
The block we were put in was filled with a group of young Spanish boys & girls (late teens early 20's) who would come back to there rooms anytime between 1:30 & 5am and would be quite loud. As they were young and were on holiday we put up with this until on our 9th night at 4:30am they decided to stand at the entrance of the bock shouting at the tops of there voices (I think about the rain but I don't speak Spanish), I had to get out of bed & go downstairs to ask them to be quiet. We reported it to our rep the next day and got a room change (with only 4 nights of or holiday left), we had to wait until 6pm for the room to be ready & when we finally got in it all I could smell was foist, the T.V & fridge did not work (socket hanging out of the wall) and the remote had not batteries. At this point we had given up and were just thinking about leaving so did not report this.
The buffet halls were disgusting, as mentioned in prior reviews hand sanitizer was hit & miss and when you were given it you were given so much you had to dry your hands on a napkin. The table cloths were a disgrace, these were not changed between dinners in fact I don't even think they were changed between eating sessions! The food was also hit & miss either freezing cold or Luke warm. If you do want to use the buffet hall use the one at white sands/rivera as the staff are friendly and the tables are a bit cleaner.
One thing that does stand out as a good point was the al a carte restaurants. The food quality was of a very high standard (apart from our 2nd trip to ribs n more were my husbands chips were so cold it was as if they had come out of the fridge). Service was also of a better standard not great but better.
I would like to mention two members of staff who were outstanding, the barman at the adults only pool who was very friendly and give great pool service with drinks and the barman at the sports bar who remembered what we were drinking and never saw us with an empty glass (I'm sorry I don't remember your names), these 2 guys are a credit to the hotel.
This may seem like a large moan about the hotel but I just can not see how it has a 5 star rating, as mentioned earlier this was our 4th stay in Mexico and this hotel was meant to be a class above were we stayed previously and it certainly cost the most but I can honestly say this is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We will never be returning and I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. If you are thinking of staying here DON'T
I don't think I've missed anything from this review but if you have any questions please contact me.

8 Thank Michelle L
Dear Michelle L,

First of all, I would like to offer you our apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation with us. I respect your point of view and I will take note about your observations.

We have personal in every moment for help our guest. I am sorry to know that in your case, this was not possible.

Unfortunately, with the weather we cannot make a lot but we have gardeners that are cleaning continuously all the areas of the resort.

We are in the best disposition for to help anyone in any way we can so if you decide to change your opinion and you decide to visit a Grand Palladium resort in the future, don't hesitate to contact with me.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have just come back after spending two weeks in the Grand Palladium Colonial its was awful It had been recommended so we were very disappointed. The rooms were horrible we had a cracked wash basin and it was in need of revamping. the fly screen kept coming off every time you wanted to go on the balcony we reported it they came and put it back on but it just came off again so we give up trying to use the balcony.The dining room was awful the chairs were to small when you sat down the table was nearly up to your chest, and the food was not good either they were always running out of things and took to long to replenish the empty trays.The worst thing was when you were having your meal they kept trying to take your plates away before you had finished I like to be able to put my knife and fork down while eating but as soon as you did they were there trying to take your plate.
We were told the day before we left that they were blocking off the childrens pool but as we had no children it wound not affect us how wrong they were, we could here the men drilling and banging and the louder they got the louder they turned the music up so lying by the pool was not relaxing and when we went to the beach to relax you could still here them and as it rained a lot we had to make the most of what sunshine we had and to be blasted by loud music all the time is not my idea of a relaxing holiday. to sum it all up it was our first time there and it will be our last.I don't think it is a five star holiday and it is over priced.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room complain till they give you an upgrade
6 Thank Sandra E
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Sandra E,

I would like to offer you our apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. We try to help our guest during their vacation. I am sorry to know that in your case, this was not possible.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

Essex England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from the grand palladium. We stayed from 30th August - 13th September. We experienced the most appalling weather imaginable.! torrential rain for 2 weeks solid. . Having read other reviews, I was apprehensive to say the least.

We booked to stay in the colonial side, and found to our surprise we were upgraded to the kantenah side. Very welcoming after a 2 hour transfer from the airport.
The room was large and inviting. The room's only view was out towards the forest area. made the room dark, and if you left the door open, you'd have to save yourself from the mozzies!.

Bed quite hard, however pillows were spot in (as many others have commented on). we were assigned room 5105. As the resort is very large prepare yourself for lots of walking.

Breakfast buffets could be taken in both colonial or kantenah side ( both only open weekends) great choices. Main features were the selection of bread and cakes on offer - delightful.
We choice to take lunch in the same two buffets, purely because of the grill bar, which cooked meats to order. Chicken, veal, chops, steak. All freshly prepared. There was also a large pasta station to cooked everything fresh to order. My only comment was the food wasn't always piping hot. The staff worked hard to clear away tables and bring water and your request of beverage - excellent. Always welcoming. There was an array of restaurants to choose from, as mentioned by other reviews, if you go between 19:00 - 20:00 no need to wait to a table. our favourite was the steak house.

There is construction work going on, and is tried to be masked by playing loud music, so we choose the quitter pools, as this suited us better. All pools are large, well kept and very clean. Every morning pool cleaner can be seen beavering away.

Whilst we are not beach people, the beach is disappointing. Lots of rocks and stones, and not much golden sand to report on. Plenty of beds available and water sports activities to engage in.

Due to the weather, there were many times we had to return to our room, and then we heard the room above was being refurbished and the sound of banging and grinding was a daily ocurrance. I complained to the manager and we were moved to a Kantenah mayan suite on the beach. Unfortunately again, we were facing the forest.

we were allocated suite 3104. The room was larger and had an outside shower - fantastic!. We had further to walk each time we wanted to go anywhere, but we didn't mind so much (unless the rain persisted)

The First Choice/Thomson reps were around and visible from 08:00 - 16:00 every day, They were not pushy with trips which made a change also.

In line with other reviews:, yes there are millions of mozzies (more evident when it rains). lots of animals roaming around which was nice. Staff cannot do enough for you. Very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

Didn't really get entertained by POP, our choice, or did we see any shows.

Spa facilities were great, lovely and peaceful, plenty of beds to pools to dip in, cold plunge pool not so good ! :(

We choice the hemmingway bar in the evening, as this was air conditioned and very quite (which again suited us).
Sports Bar good to cool down in, you can play pool, ping pong, watch one of the many TV's coverage of sports and there is a small internet café in there.

You can get WIFI in the lobbies of all receptions quite easily, however depends who's on at the time. Tends to be really slow the people using it.
You can get WIFI in the rooms at a cost of $4 per hour - $17 per day - $56 per week. However not very reliable, so the reps said.

All in all a great holiday despite the appalling weather,

Would I recommend this place - YES

Would I return - No (there is a big world out there, and we never go to the same place twice)

fondest memories: friendly staff. Fantastic mayan suite outside shower.

Room Tip: mayan suites great and in a quieter part of the resort
2 Thank Hammerbees
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Hammerbees,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. I appreciate this information and I will share your opinion with the rest of the team.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel has everything you want in a hotel. Clean and nice rooms, great beaches, nice pools and plenty of options for food. Plenty of activities and days out outside the resort within a reasonable distance and would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rc1987
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear rc1987,

On behalf of the team at Palladium, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments and for taking time to share with us this information.

Have a nice day!!

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Upon arriving it looks very impressive! Beautiful grounds, greeted with a cocktail while you check in and then a bell boy takes you to your room.

The a la carte restaurants were great we ate in most of them as the buffet was such appalling service(I will explain more later) the best a la carte restaurant for me was the Chinese and Italian however just so your aware if you want wine you don't have to order off the wine list you can still have the house wine as part of your all inclusive, I was conned my first time and ended up paying £20 for a bottle of red wine (although it was lovely wine).
The buffet restaurant service was shocking... I think in my stay I had 2 meals where I was left without a drink throughout the whole meal, I was not even offered water. Table cloths were on occasions dirty from previous diners and not changed. The service is very hit and miss in the buffet restaurant on occasions I had good service usually if we went for dinner early and the restaurant was empty. Another thing that is hit and miss is them giving out hand sanitisers, it was extremely drying and smelt heavily of alcohol but they would not make everyone sanitise their hands so the process was pointless.

The rooms are nice and spacious and are generally clean, although I don't think the cleaners are as thorough as they could be!

The pool is lovely and fresh and quite deep but that's due to me only being 5ft I couldn't touch the floor, there was always cleaners in the pool cleaning down the sides and beds. It was nice that the photographers come round taking pictures of you in the pool and on the beach and in the sea.

On our last night we had an early night due to knowing it would be a long travel home, at3am our room phone started ringing, upon answering it I was informed it was reception, they said we was being to loud and can we please keep the noise down, I was disgusted that they had rang, woke us up and accused us of being to loud, when I told them we had been asleep they said the security guard had confirmed it was from our room, although while I was on the phone I could still hear the noise outside somewhere. After telling reception this I got a sorry and goodnight and they hung up. In the morning I went to make a complaint however the man on reception did not understand English too well so I wrote my problem down and I can be pretty sure nothing happens from it as I've been home over a week and after leaving my details I have heard nothing. Not really what you expect from 5*.

All in all its a lovely place with the potential of being a 5* resort if they improved the service and made in more consistent, and have more people working there who understand different languages. Its overpriced for the service you receive, either lower the price or improve your service. I would say its a 5* setting with 3* service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Little_Sunlover
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Little_Sunlover,

I would like to offer you our apologies for the incidents that you have had during your stay. I will analize all of your comments with the rest of the team. We have staff in every moment for help our guest during their stay. I am sorry to know that in your case it was not possible.

Please, if you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Cordially,

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I returned from our seventh visit last week. I travelled with my husband and five year old. This was our fourteenth holiday in Mexico. We love this hotel as it meets the needs of the whole family. The hotel is very clean, there are a lot of restaurants to choose from, there is plenty to do, the beach is amazing to name but a few things.
My son is autistic, the staff are great with him, he remembers them and they him. He likes to play in the baby club with the toys and this isn't a problem. He wears a nappy and the staff change him, it's not a problem. One day they took him to lunch with the rest of the kids, great, because we got a few hours to relax and he was out of the sun, when it was hot.
The kids club and pool is being renovated, there will be a water park in around December for the kids, this should be fantastic. Also, the kids club is getting an overhaul, the past mascot 'Ricky Racoon' is being replaced by 'Rags' and co. There will be five characters from a US kids TV show. While we were there we went to a special breakfast for the kids, it was outstanding the work the staff put into this. Upon arrival the kids sat at a table with crayons and a paper mat to colour, there were balloons on each table, fresh smoothies were made, the food was all based around animals, the work the chefs must have put in was unbelievably amazing I can't describe it without spoiling what you will see. The characters come and meet kids and dance and sing for them. The happiness and excitement on the children's faces was excellent. My son kept shouting 'Pido's breakfast' for days after. (Pronounced Piedo in case you're wondering).
The entertainment during the day is there if you want it, ignore it if you don't. If you enjoy Zumba at home, take your trainers, as 'Memo' does a fantastic half hour session by the pool at 10.30 am, where else do you get to do an excellent work out over looking a pool with palm trees???
The evening shows are good, my favourite is the Rock show over at the Riviera theatre on a Thursday night. (I'm not a rock music fan, but this is great).
On this visit my fave al a carte's were the Mediterranean and Ribs and More restaurants. But food is an emotive and subjective topic as everyone likes different food.
The food in the buffets is good, there is a different theme each night. There is always a hot meat joint, 3 types of fish and 3 types of meat cooked to order every night, as well as fresh pastas and sauces cooked to your liking, with numerous starters, mains, puddings, salads, breads, fruit etc being available. I do agree with previous comments about the table clothes not always being clean, I did find this disappointing. If you like to drink lager, I found this to be the nicest in the buffets as it was always ice cold.
We found all the staff to be friendly and it's great to be recognised and called by your name from staff who remember us.
The hotel is gradually being refurbished. We had an older room, but it was in a great location, very clean and in full working order. What more can you ask for.
We went on two organised trips, swimming with the dolphins which was excellent although on the pricey side once we'd paid for photos and a DVD. Secondly we went on the 'Fat Cat' catamaran. We have done this trip twice before out of season. It was better value then as they appear to run only one trip per boat, per day, whereas now they are doing two. We felt rushed with the snorkelling and the staff were quite grumpy this time.
We made our own way to Akumal beach, via collectivo, it has an amazing beach with fantastic snorkelling. Every time we have been I have seen a turtle! A great place to have lunch is at the bakery to the rear of the car park, food is home cooked and out of this world.
We made our own way into Playa Del Carmen again via collectivo and ate out four times there. We love the culture, shopping and ambience there, although its grown vastly over the past 15 years or so. Fusion and Zen bars on the beach are great, ask Lindsey the First Choice rep for directions. For Mexican food 'Mi Pueblo' on fifth ave is great, with all the mariachi bands playing and serenading, as is Carbonito's just off fifth ave. There are loads of great bars around too, we find new places each time we visit.
You can pay in Pesos or dollars. I'd recommend pesos, otherwise you will loose out financially changing your money twice and you get a better exchange rate for pesos. You can change money in town, you'll get a better rate than in the UK, but watch out as the exchanges rates do vary vastly in town. I find the exchange bureaus in the middle of fifth ave are the most competitive.
As ever we weren't ready to come home and we'll look forward to returning to Mexico next year to visit our Mexican 'family'.
As an additional point we met two other families during our holiday who we had come across when staying at the hotel on previous holidays! Repeat visitors wear a red wrist band as opposed to a purple one, there were a lot of red wrist band wearers, this speaks for itself.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Carol W
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Carol W,

On behalf of the entire team at Grand Palladum Resort & Spa, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments and for your time.

We are glad to know that you and your family have had a great vacation with us.

Hope to see you back soon !

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,006 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!